Jump to topic:

Swinging?

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:49:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, my wife and I have a circle of friends who swing. They've really been pushing this issue with us lately, and we've been chewing on the idea.

I've known a lot of swingers, and I can tell you that there are success stories and there are horror stories.

We're neither puritanical nor are we total hedonists. We're both satisfied, but there's no denying that there is something tantalizing about it. Neither of us are particularly jealous people, but there's no denying that on some level (even on a miniscule level) that it has the potential to cause problems.

What are some of your thoughts? Any swingers here?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:54:08 PM
I think before you do this you have to know yourself, know your partner really well, and understand your relationship fully. I know for a fact that I could never deal with this, my sexuality and my jealousy would both prevent me from engaging in it or at least deriving any pleasure from it.

Does your partner ever make you jealous? I am so not a jealous person, neither is my g/f... but even so we can still make each other jealous. I think it is a rare or uncommon couple that can swing and enjoy it.

Also you may want to discuss the issue of contraception and sexual health.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:56:35 PM
Giggity.

Never considered it myself, but I've known at least one person who confirmed he did, and a couple of others who thought about it. The person who confirmed said it was well worth it, if completely f*cking awkward, and a more than a little strange. Lots of afterthoughts and worries about what the other person - both your spouse and the person you're with - are thinking, sometimes obsessively so. Gladly I'll keep this anonymous, but apparently he was so worried at first, he couldn't get it up!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 2:59:36 PM
I think it would be fun, depends on who all is involved tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:01:23 PM
At 8/30/2010 2:59:36 PM, lovelife wrote:

That reminds me... if in doubt demand ID. :-)
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:03:09 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:01:23 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 8/30/2010 2:59:36 PM, lovelife wrote:

That reminds me... if in doubt demand ID. :-)

Lmao
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:05:25 PM
There's no way i could ever participate in something that would result in my partner having sex with another person - just not that secure i guess.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:14:21 PM
I wouldn't do it because I'm too jealous but some guys get off on it. Last week I was in a nightclub with lots of swingers in it and this guy asked me to "do" his wife and daughter while he watched. I refused because his wife was too old and his daughter looked too young (although she probably wasn't if she got into an 18+ club).

One thing to try is to get your wife and another guy's wife to make out with each other while you...er, well...engage with your own respective partners, if you see what I mean.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:14:47 PM
At 8/30/2010 2:54:08 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I think before you do this you have to know yourself, know your partner really well, and understand your relationship fully. I know for a fact that I could never deal with this, my sexuality and my jealousy would both prevent me from engaging in it or at least deriving any pleasure from it.:

A very fair assessment.

Does your partner ever make you jealous? I am so not a jealous person, neither is my g/f... but even so we can still make each other jealous. I think it is a rare or uncommon couple that can swing and enjoy it.:

I don't know. There are god arguments on both sides. The swinging side says that you're just delaying the inevitable. Fact: You can be in the best relationship on planet earth and still will be aroused by other people. Why not just be open about it and go through together as a couple. It's the deception that most people have a problem with. So why not just be open and honest with your partner.

The other side says, it opens up Pandora's Box, which cannot be shut again. You may THINK you could handle it, and it may be fun initially. But in the back of your mind you cannot erase the thought of some other dude plowing your wife, no matter how much you plowed his. You must have a weak constitution to have to resort to swinging.

Anyway, those are both sides of the argument. Both sides make sense, but ultimately it does come down to motives and how well one could accept such a thing.

Naturally. Apparently in this underworld there are elaborate rules of etiquette. Failure to follow them means excommunication from the group.

I don't know. Something seems very freeing about it, and something seems disturbingly hedonistic.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:19:51 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:05:25 PM, innomen wrote:
There's no way i could ever participate in something that would result in my partner having sex with another person - just not that secure i guess.:

And I don't think that should be looked down on. I do believe that, as Cerebral said, it takes a special couple to go through with it. If it's not your gig, definitely don't partake in it.

I think some couples are (oddly) strengthened by it, and others irreparably damaged by it.

I can say all day long that jealousy is an ugly and trite emotion -- same with anger. BUT we are all, to one degree or another, prone to it and beholden to our emotions. Anything less would make us sociopaths or mindless automatons.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:22:21 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:14:21 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I wouldn't do it because I'm too jealous but some guys get off on it. Last week I was in a nightclub with lots of swingers in it and this guy asked me to "do" his wife and daughter while he watched. I refused because his wife was too old and his daughter looked too young (although she probably wasn't if she got into an 18+ club).

Okay so he wanted you do his wife whilst he watched... thats cool I can understand that. Wouldn't be for me but hey, I kinda get it.

He wanted you to do his DAUGHTER? Whilst he WATCHED?
Thats a bit.... wrong.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:27:10 PM

One thing to try is to get your wife and another guy's wife to make out with each other while you...er, well...engage with your own respective partners, if you see what I mean.

I wouldn't do other guys. I'm not really interested in guys, but also my bf is jealous of guys and got pissed when I told him I might go into wrestling to prove that I'm just as tough as those guys.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:29:02 PM
I wouldn't do it because I'm too jealous but some guys get off on it. Last week I was in a nightclub with lots of swingers in it and this guy asked me to "do" his wife and daughter while he watched:

Ewww, his daughter too??? See, that guy is f*cked in the head. He was molested as a child or some sh!t. I also don't get the whole voyeur thing. I would simply be interested in sleeping with a beautiful woman, and would therefore be obligated to let her husband sleep with my wife. It wouldn't "turn me on" to see the crown jewels getting pummeled, but if I wanted the woman badly enough I'd kind of be obligated.

If in some way he out-performed me, I'd be obsessing about it. I'm so narcissistic in that regard that it's difficult to conceive of it. I know, I know... Delusions of grandeur.

One thing to try is to get your wife and another guy's wife to make out with each other while you...er, well...engage with your own respective partners, if you see what I mean.:

I've never been particularly turned-on by lesbian sex. My wife is, though. So I wouldn't be opposed to it, as long as there is something in it for me (I'm just being honest here).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:32:20 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:29:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If in some way he out-performed me, I'd be obsessing about it. I'm so narcissistic in that regard that it's difficult to conceive of it. I know, I know... Delusions of grandeur.

Not a small thing (so to speak). I'd be a little worried about that sort of thing, and that's something that will be remembered by both you and she. I couldn't handle it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:33:51 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:14:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I don't know. There are god arguments on both sides. The swinging side says that you're just delaying the inevitable. Fact: You can be in the best relationship on planet earth and still will be aroused by other people. Why not just be open about it and go through together as a couple. It's the deception that most people have a problem with. So why not just be open and honest with your partner.

Actually me and my g/f are open about that, maybe too open. Other couples think we are strange. My issue is that the people who arouse me generally make me want to date them as well. I don't really do the sex without strings. In fact and this may sound odd... I am more interested in a relationship than sex and multiple relationships would be complex. The idea is appealing on some level but its not me. But anyway this is not about me.

The other side says, it opens up Pandora's Box, which cannot be shut again. You may THINK you could handle it, and it may be fun initially. But in the back of your mind you cannot erase the thought of some other dude plowing your wife, no matter how much you plowed his. You must have a weak constitution to have to resort to swinging.

Anyway, those are both sides of the argument. Both sides make sense, but ultimately it does come down to motives and how well one could accept such a thing.

Yea it's a difficult choice, I'd certainly take a long old time to decide if I were you.

I do have a strange or indeed stupid suggestion, depending on how accomodating your swinging friends are, if you do decide to give it a try would they be happy to allow you to establish a threshold. So you and your partner would not be expected to engage in full sex, but something lesser, that way you can test your reactions, worse case scenario the damage has been lessened? It's an idea.

Naturally. Apparently in this underworld there are elaborate rules of etiquette. Failure to follow them means excommunication from the group.

Yea that makes sense.

I don't know. Something seems very freeing about it, and something seems disturbingly hedonistic.

Well you seem to have too many doubts about it to just jump in right now, so i'd give yourself a bit of time to mull it over. Good luck in whatever you choose.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:43:07 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:22:21 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Okay so he wanted you do his wife whilst he watched... thats cool I can understand that. Wouldn't be for me but hey, I kinda get it.

Thats a bit.... wrong.

It was really weird...maybe it was his stepdaughter, I don't know.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 3:47:56 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:43:07 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Thats a bit.... wrong.

I guess thats not so bad... but wait... yea.. its still kinda... oh dear...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:21:03 PM
At 8/30/2010 3:43:07 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Thats a bit.... wrong.

I'm a stepdaughter and I would still find it weird if my stepdad was all "hey stranger do my wife and stepdaughter" wouldn't be so bad if the daughter had a say, but still really strange.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2010 4:34:38 PM
Well you seem to have too many doubts about it to just jump in right now, so i'd give yourself a bit of time to mull it over. Good luck in whatever you choose.:

Yeah, thanks. It really ultimately comes down to two questions to me.

Either you believe that humans are meant to be monogamous, or that they are deluding themselves.

Who knows? I can't untie the Gordian Knot right now.
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 2:07:01 AM
At 8/30/2010 2:49:21 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
So, my wife and I have a circle of friends who swing. They've really been pushing this issue with us lately, and we've been chewing on the idea.

I've known a lot of swingers, and I can tell you that there are success stories and there are horror stories.

We're neither puritanical nor are we total hedonists. We're both satisfied, but there's no denying that there is something tantalizing about it. Neither of us are particularly jealous people, but there's no denying that on some level (even on a miniscule level) that it has the potential to cause problems.

What are some of your thoughts? Any swingers here?

Disgusting.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 2:43:14 AM
At 8/30/2010 2:49:21 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

The question is what value you expect to gain from the enterprise - if it's purely sensory gratification and there are potential issues that may develop, then other methods of gratifying sexual fantasies may be more appropriate. This may mean you will have to talk to your partner. :P

The larger issue is dealing with the source of insecurity - if you fear a physical interaction will be the fulcrum to derail the relationship then I'd hazard there are already greater issues at hand you need to look into and deal with. If it is baseless worry then designate it as such - if not then probably focusing on those concerns would be more prudent. Even if there is no such issue, that's not equal to being a valid reason to engage in the exercise. There may be simply no valid reason to, nor any particular value to be gained from the whole exercise.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 3:56:49 AM

I probably would have done that and posted it on facebook. I mean thats just fcking legendary isn't it?... but seriously I dont know if I can let another guy uh...be with my wife but she actually likes the idea of me and another girl. Well only if she participates. And i find it weird because she is THE most jealous girl ever but she's a woman and I have yet to meet a totally rational woman
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 5:54:16 AM
At 8/31/2010 5:47:20 AM, innomen wrote:
You know that this has the potential to completely redefine your relationship, and not in a good way.:

Everything has that potential. I'm just jousting with ideas. We've been recruited many times before and have never swung, so it will probably be the same outcome.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 5:58:04 AM
At 8/31/2010 5:54:16 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/31/2010 5:47:20 AM, innomen wrote:
You know that this has the potential to completely redefine your relationship, and not in a good way.:

Everything has that potential. I'm just jousting with ideas. We've been recruited many times before and have never swung, so it will probably be the same outcome.

Really? Wow, interesting crowd you hang with. One would think something like that would have been approached with my relationship considering the gay culture, but never.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 6:04:05 AM
Really? Wow, interesting crowd you hang with. One would think something like that would have been approached with my relationship considering the gay culture, but never.:

Most of our friends would never do that, but within the last year we've been recruited several times. All of the one's that have are in the military. Every swinger couple I know is affiliated with the military... which may make sense, being that I'm in the military.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 6:16:05 AM
At 8/31/2010 6:04:05 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Really? Wow, interesting crowd you hang with. One would think something like that would have been approached with my relationship considering the gay culture, but never.:

Most of our friends would never do that, but within the last year we've been recruited several times. All of the one's that have are in the military. Every swinger couple I know is affiliated with the military... which may make sense, being that I'm in the military.

Not really, but i don't fully understand the culture within the military, i only know it from afar.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 6:19:51 AM
At 8/30/2010 4:34:38 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Either you believe that humans are meant to be monogamous, or that they are deluding themselves.

Female's brains are wired to become attached to the guys they sleep with (thanks to oxytocin, the bonding hormone, being released afterward). Guys are wired to deposit sperm and move on. However studies also show that when already in stable relationships, women - instead of seeking nurturing men to help raise a family, like single women do - tend to gravitate toward dominant men which her brain can detect via certain pheromones. They have the biological urge to sneak around with men with better (dominant) genes. We see this in nature too: up to 30% of baby birds are raised by males who did not sire them.

When women engage in extramarital sex, research shows they retain fewer sperm from their main partners and experience more copulatory orgasms during their escapades with other men (while tending to fake it with their stable partners). In short, the reality is that women are no more built for monogamy than men are. They are designed to keep their options open by orgasming easier with outside men.

However sex also affects us emotionally. Nobody wants to feel undesired. It's hard for us as humans not to take sexual interest personally, amirite? Husbands who don't get a lot of sex feel rejected. Women have a much harder time getting and staying in the mood with added responsibilities (often accompanied with marriage and especially kids) putting a damper on their sexual relationship thus affecting their relationship overall.

I'd say you should try having more sex together first before making the decision. I'm not implying that you don't have a healthy sex life, but based on what I've learned about the benefits of having regular sex, I'd say my personal choice would be to have more sex with my partner -- like try to get it once a day for a few weeks, if possible -- and then if it's an idea that still interests you both then take it from there. Making time for regular sex can really do wonders for a long-term relationship though, perhaps even to the point of edging out the curiosity and becoming more satisfied with monogamy. Regardless of whether or not we're built for monogamy, we can take steps to make it easier or even more preferable. Consistent, regular sex with your long term partner is a great help. You might still wanna try swinging afterward though and I wouldn't judge anyone for that :) I personally could never do it but meh.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 6:42:53 AM
At 8/31/2010 6:19:51 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/30/2010 4:34:38 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Female's brains are wired to become attached to the guys they sleep with (thanks to oxytocin, the bonding hormone, being released afterward). Guys are wired to deposit sperm and move on. However studies also show that when already in stable relationships, women - instead of seeking nurturing men to help raise a family, like single women do - tend to gravitate toward dominant men which her brain can detect via certain pheromones. They have the biological urge to sneak around with men with better (dominant) genes. We see this in nature too: up to 30% of baby birds are raised by males who did not sire them.

When women engage in extramarital sex, research shows they retain fewer sperm from their main partners and experience more copulatory orgasms during their escapades with other men (while tending to fake it with their stable partners). In short, the reality is that women are no more built for monogamy than men are. They are designed to keep their options open by orgasming easier with outside men.

Wow... thanks for all that.