Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Is the Confederate Flag racist?

ConnorSween16
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 8:18:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There's been a lot of controversy over whether the confederate flag is racist or not. I personally, think it is extremely racist. It's a flag, or symbol associated with white supremacy. A lot of people are saying "it represents our history" or "it represents the Civil War". Alright, some what logical. Minus the fact that the confederacy LOST THE WAR. THE WAR THAT WAS LITERALLY OVER SLAVERY. I'm curious to see what you guys have to say.
ConnorSween16
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ConnorSween16
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina? I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that
ConnorSween16
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ConnorSween16
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 2:25:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.

I see your point on how long ago the Civil War was and that is totally valid. But the same thing could be said for you, you weren't alive during that time, it doesn't affect you, why is it necessary to fly it? I'm very pro choice to the matter, I'm just curious on other people's perspectives, so if I come off as arrogant or ignorant, I apologize
ConnorSween16
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 2:43:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/14/2015 2:25:22 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.

I see your point on how long ago the Civil War was and that is totally valid. But the same thing could be said for you, you weren't alive during that time, it doesn't affect you, why is it necessary to fly it? I'm very pro choice to the matter, I'm just curious on other people's perspectives, so if I come off as arrogant or ignorant, I apologize

Neither person (the guy flying it or the guy offended by it) was affected by the original history behind it. If somebody was to fly it today, then it'd be in a different context. Thus, if you are to be offended by it, then your offense towards the flag should concern some aspect of the flag other than its origins. Today the flag is flown almost exclusively as a symbol of defiance to "big government" and as a symbol of the South. If somebody is offended by the flag today, they should be offended by one of these two meanings (or both) of its modern use. Obviously "defiance of big government" and "southern pride" are not really things that anyone can rightfully demand somebody else not demonstrate whenever society thinks of symbols of Liberalism and "the North" as acceptable.
If you like the flag, fly it. If you don't like the flag, don't fly it. Neither person should receive condemnation unless you fly the flag in its original context. You're entitled to be offended by the flag, but not to demand that people don't fly it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ConnorSween16
Posts: 34
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 2:48:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/14/2015 2:43:18 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/14/2015 2:25:22 AM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.

I see your point on how long ago the Civil War was and that is totally valid. But the same thing could be said for you, you weren't alive during that time, it doesn't affect you, why is it necessary to fly it? I'm very pro choice to the matter, I'm just curious on other people's perspectives, so if I come off as arrogant or ignorant, I apologize

Neither person (the guy flying it or the guy offended by it) was affected by the original history behind it. If somebody was to fly it today, then it'd be in a different context. Thus, if you are to be offended by it, then your offense towards the flag should concern some aspect of the flag other than its origins. Today the flag is flown almost exclusively as a symbol of defiance to "big government" and as a symbol of the South. If somebody is offended by the flag today, they should be offended by one of these two meanings (or both) of its modern use. Obviously "defiance of big government" and "southern pride" are not really things that anyone can rightfully demand somebody else not demonstrate whenever society thinks of symbols of Liberalism and "the North" as acceptable.
If you like the flag, fly it. If you don't like the flag, don't fly it. Neither person should receive condemnation unless you fly the flag in its original context. You're entitled to be offended by the flag, but not to demand that people don't fly it.

Exactly my thought. Thank you for explaining your side of the situation. No one really gives people who wave the flag a chance to explain their stance and I'm glad I got that opportunity.
ConnorSween16
slo1
Posts: 4,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 12:04:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.

That is not true. The confederate flag was a prominent symbol used by southern white supremacist to protest civil rights. Lots of people alive in the sixties were greatly impacted by the confederate flag and what it stood for.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:37:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 12:04:03 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:19:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:10:01 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 10:01:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
It means whatever people want it to mean. In the past 150 years it's been used for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with racism. I think it's fair to say that after decades of use the flag's meaning cannot be pegged down to any single thing.

Which makes sense, but do you personally think it should be banned in state buildings, such as the capital building in South Carolina?

I think that only the U.S. flag and the state flag should be flown there.

I think because it does offend a lot of people, basically everyone who isn't white, it should be brought down as a curtesy. What's your take on that

See the above.
The Civil War was 150 years ago. Nobody on Earth was alive from that time. If an American was born in 1899, his/her parents probably wouldn't have been alive during the Civil War. Basically everyone knows about it only from studying history books and stuff. Nobody alive today was personally affected by it, so nobody today has a right to demand someone else not fly it because they find it offensive.

That is not true. The confederate flag was a prominent symbol used by southern white supremacist to protest civil rights. Lots of people alive in the sixties were greatly impacted by the confederate flag and what it stood for.

Fair enough, I suppose.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid