Jump to topic:

Racism in the United States today

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:01:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've observed that racism in the United States today does not usually manifest itself in the form of hostility or hatred towards another race. Instead, today racism takes on the form mainly of discomfort around people of other races and the sentiment that one can relate only to their own race.
I mean, let's be fair about this: the average white guy in the United States does not hate blacks. Nor does the average black guy hate whites (not that I know of, anyways). Despite this, what I've seen is that when there's a large group consisting of blacks and whites, the blacks tend to all form their own separate group, whereas the whites do likewise.

There's several reasons for this; here's my take. First of all, there's often an instinctive sense of one's comfort level depending on whether or not they're around people who are mostly of their own race (if you're black, step inside a room with tons of strangers who are all white and tell me if you don't become at least slightly uncomfortable). This may have a basis in a combination of fundamental human instinct and being primarily exposed to one's own race in life with fairly little social contact with the other race (brought on by the two groups typically living in mostly homogeneous neighbourhoods).
Also, there's a difference in culture (and thus interest) which may make finding the common ground often needed for cultivating a friendship difficult. For instance, of what I've observed of black people they seem to be much more jock-ish than white people typically are. So you have a wimpy, perhaps overweight, and perhaps nerdy white guy on one side and a heavily athletic black guy on the other side. They're probably not going to interact much, even if they were both black or both white.

So to sum it up, racism in the United States today is mostly the tendency of different racial groups to associate primarily with their own race and to either feel uncomfortable or as though they've got nothing in common with this guy (probably both) when around a person of another race.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 4:09:07 PM
The reason I'm a racist is the US gov forced Affirmitve Action down my throat, and I suffer as a white male because of it.
Diverstiy hiring is a joke as all those hired due to being black are unqualified for the job and again I suffer as i have to make up for the work they are to stupid to do.
Spell check does not work on Ipad. fyi
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 4:27:54 PM
At 8/24/2015 4:09:07 PM, Lee308 wrote:
The reason I'm a racist is the US gov forced Affirmitve Action down my throat, and I suffer as a white male because of it.
Diverstiy hiring is a joke as all those hired due to being black are unqualified for the job and again I suffer as i have to make up for the work they are to stupid to do.

Your racist because of affirmative action? Your racist because your an idiot. That makes more sense.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 8:17:47 PM

I'm racist because a black gm guy killed my ex wife for $500 dollars. I mean, I could've got some white crackhead to do it for $250. What this guy did by over charging me is wrong.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 2:17:00 AM
At 8/24/2015 8:17:47 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm racist because a black gm guy killed my ex wife for $500 dollars. I mean, I could've got some white crackhead to do it for $250. What this guy did by over charging me is wrong.

he was a free enterprise niggah! you should be down wit' dat, home skillet!!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:57:16 AM
At 8/24/2015 4:55:13 PM, Lee308 wrote:
Please explain w/o name calling.

Im sorry what you said was so ridiculous I couldn't help myself. You disagreeing with affirmative action is one thing but don't blame anyone else for your racism. That's our choice.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 2:04:55 PM

Oh, I wasn't aware that the US government forced you or your employer to take a contract from them.
My work here is, finally, done.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:17:52 PM
There is racism because people get offended when I say nigger, but they don't get offended when I say cracker.

This proves that white people are superior.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:27:53 PM
I am here to kill XLAV....... I was sent by Shequandraeous.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:28:19 PM
Furul though, I'm part black. XLAV shun me forever.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:30:52 PM
At 8/25/2015 4:30:00 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 8/25/2015 4:28:19 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Furul though, I'm part black. XLAV shun me forever.

*shuns*

Shanksh, gurl.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:32:25 PM
But yeah, I am predominately European (German, Swiss, French). I am then Cherokee Indian, then Ethic Jew (Hebrew), and finally Black.

So I look White.
Suh dude

Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 1:50:40 AM
Not one word to dis-spell my racism due to affirmative action.
I will NOT go to a black doctor or dentist due to the fact they did not earn their degree, it was given to them because they were black.
jimtimmy8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 5:52:33 AM
A lot of what we call "racism" is white people noticing that other groups (like Hispanics and Blacks) act certain ways more often, on average, than do other whites.

This is why it is "racist" for a shop owner to be more nervous about an young black guy in her store than an old white lady. Even though her nerves are totally rational and based on accurate stereotypes, it's racist to notice things like that!
Huntress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 1:13:52 PM
Racism is one of the most overused terms today. What you're discussing is closer to ethnocentrism, because people in different race groups typically have a slightly different culture, way of talking and relating to people that might make outsiders uncomfortable. I imagine a white American would act the same if in a rural German town in a room filled with only native German speakers. How does social anxiety equate with racism?
Huntress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 12:50:57 PM
At 8/25/2015 4:32:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
But yeah, I am predominately European (German, Swiss, French). I am then Cherokee Indian, then Ethic Jew (Hebrew), and finally Black.

So I look White.

It can be so difficult to trace Indian ancestry. My family has some Native American ancestry on my mother's side. A DNA test showed as much. We have family mentioned in the Shawnee Heritage books, but the books fail to mention any sources, which for me results in an immediate facepalm. Otherwise, English, German, Scottish and Irish, with one French Huguenot and one Spanish, likely Sephardic, line.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 5:35:35 PM
At 8/31/2015 12:50:57 PM, Huntress wrote:
At 8/25/2015 4:32:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

So I look White.

It can be so difficult to trace Indian ancestry. My family has some Native American ancestry on my mother's side. A DNA test showed as much. We have family mentioned in the Shawnee Heritage books, but the books fail to mention any sources, which for me results in an immediate facepalm. Otherwise, English, German, Scottish and Irish, with one French Huguenot and one Spanish, likely Sephardic, line.

Noice.

I am not really into this stuff. All I know is, my ancestry has been traced back to Charlemagne....
Suh dude

Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:47:05 PM
Racism is about thinking race somehow makes people superior or inferior. I don't really know what a superior or inferior person is let alone what they would look like.

What bugs me is this notion that racism is somehow evil, it isn't.

A racist makes about as much sense to me as a theist or an atheist, but I don't think being a racist, theist or an atheist is evil or makes a person evil. Their beliefs are one thing, what they do is another and usually the more important of the two.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 7:06:33 PM
This is the well known ' Birds of a feather flock together ' but it is not racism , simply preference. I don't rub shoulders with academics or celebs its hardly surprising.
When we make a choice we favour one and reject another.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 10:07:38 PM
Just a succinct thought: I am compelled that racism that is prevalently encounter/observed in the U.S. is not necessarily directly due to physical attributes, but more so of social and cultural reasons.