Jump to topic:

Lesbians in the media

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 5:16:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know if it's because of the kind of TV shows that I watch, but it has recently come to my attention that while gay males are all over television, there seems to be a lack of gay females.

Right now, it kind of seems like to be a gay male is "in"... to be a lesbian, not so much? (And I don't mean the experimental "I kissed a girl and I liked it" thing.)

What are your thoughts on this and why that may be?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 5:19:12 PM
At 9/4/2010 5:16:27 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I don't know if it's because of the kind of TV shows that I watch, but it has recently come to my attention that while gay males are all over television, there seems to be a lack of gay females.

Right now, it kind of seems like to be a gay male is "in"... to be a lesbian, not so much? (And I don't mean the experimental "I kissed a girl and I liked it" thing.)

What are your thoughts on this and why that may be?

you're just not watching tv til late enough.
signature
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 5:29:10 PM
There's a segment called That's So Gay (it's fantastic) in which the host explores this very issue. Basically he was poking fun at how primetime does include lesbians in the media (television), but that it's obviously just a way to garner attention by making it appear as if they'll show some dramatic scene or character exploration of sexuality when really it's just always a "confused" girl who eventually gets back with men after hooking up with a girl or 2 to generate viewer interest.

Answer - A lot of lesbians aren't attractive, and Hollywood is for cute people. Also, if there IS a cute lesbian, the media must succumb to the male fantasy that they're not really gay and feed into the misconception that they'd actually stand a chance. I don't think primetime could handle a real lesbian character. Anyway Rachel Maddow is a famous anchorwoman (lesbian) but that's about it. At least we don't have Rosie as our only representation anymore :P Ps. Who doesn't love Ellen? She's MIA though. But yeah, gay men are fashionable and trendy. Lesbians are good only for sexualization in the media.
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 5:37:11 PM
At 9/4/2010 5:29:10 PM, theLwerd wrote:

so you think lesbians are generally less attractive than than straight women?
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 5:39:16 PM
At 9/4/2010 5:29:10 PM, theLwerd wrote:
There's a segment called That's So Gay (it's fantastic) in which the host explores this very issue. Basically he was poking fun at how primetime does include lesbians in the media (television), but that it's obviously just a way to garner attention by making it appear as if they'll show some dramatic scene or character exploration of sexuality when really it's just always a "confused" girl who eventually gets back with men after hooking up with a girl or 2 to generate viewer interest.

Answer - A lot of lesbians aren't attractive, and Hollywood is for cute people. Also, if there IS a cute lesbian, the media must succumb to the male fantasy that they're not really gay and feed into the misconception that they'd actually stand a chance. I don't think primetime could handle a real lesbian character. Anyway Rachel Maddow is a famous anchorwoman (lesbian) but that's about it. At least we don't have Rosie as our only representation anymore :P Ps. Who doesn't love Ellen? She's MIA though. But yeah, gay men are fashionable and trendy. Lesbians are good only for sexualization in the media.

Thank you for the serious response -- I was hoping you would have some insight on this lol As for your answer, that was kind of what I was leaning toward, that sexism has a part to play in it.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 12:53:38 PM
There are (thankfully) a great deal of very attractive women that are bi-sexual and are attracted, naturally, to other attractive women as well as to men.

As far a strict lesbians go, however, there always seems to be a petite "female" one and a butch "male" in the relationship. Not always, but usually.

In any case, I agree, gay men get a lot of media exposure compared to gay women but this is because the TV and film industry is dominated by gay men (and Jews - and gay Jews - witness Will & Grace, et al).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 1:01:23 PM
At 9/5/2010 12:53:38 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
There are (thankfully) a great deal of very attractive women that are bi-sexual and are attracted, naturally, to other attractive women as well as to men.

As far a strict lesbians go, however, there always seems to be a petite "female" one and a butch "male" in the relationship. Not always, but usually.

In any case, I agree, gay men get a lot of media exposure compared to gay women but this is because the TV and film industry is dominated by gay men (and Jews - and gay Jews - witness Will & Grace, et al).

did you ever tell us why it is you don't like the jews?
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 1:12:58 PM

What are your thoughts on this and why that may be?:

Possible reasons:

1. I think it's simply perception. It is possible that there are a lot of lesbians in the media that simply don't advertise their sexual orientation, and so people assume they are straight when in fact they are gay.

2. I don't think the market has a niche for bull dykes just yet. There seems to be more butch lesbians than femme. People like femme because they like attrative people, gay or straight. They are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Or, back to that perception thing, it appears that there are more butch lesbians because they are so easily identifiable when in fact there are jut as many femme's.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 1:52:23 PM
At 9/5/2010 1:01:23 PM, badger wrote:

I'll give you an example. I used to live next door to a synagogue in North London and our two properties were separated by a lane, belonging to me, that led to my garage at the bottom of my garden.

One day, on their Sabbath, the street was full of parked cars so one of the worshippers decided to park his Mercedes S Class in my drive. When I came home from work, there was nowhere to park, except in my drive in front of the Mercedes.

Anyway, I had my dinner and washed it down with a few glasses of wine and then there was a knock at the door. It was the owner of the Mercedes wanting me to move my car.

I refused, saying that I couldn't drive it because I had been drinking and that he should take a taxi and collect his car the next day. However, his wife was going ‘radio rental' and was threatening to phone the police.

Nevertheless, I still refused to shift the car but after half an hour of him banging on the door I relented and reversed it out so they could leave.

However, as they drove away, the police arrived – she did call them after all – and I explained what had happened to the officers expecting them to let me put my car back in the drive. But they didn't. They breathalysed me and arrested me for being intoxicated whilst in control of a motorised vehicle on the public highway!

If I'd known the police were coming, of course, I wouldn't have done the Jewish couple the favour of moving my car (and would have thus avoided spending the night in jail and a subsequent three year driving ban) and, instead, would have let the Jewish couple explain to the police why they were trespassing on private property.

It's just one of many examples of bad experiences I have had with Jews.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 1:57:36 PM
At 9/5/2010 1:52:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I'll give you an example. I used to live next door to a synagogue in North London and our two properties were separated by a lane, belonging to me, that led to my garage at the bottom of my garden.

One day, on their Sabbath, the street was full of parked cars so one of the worshippers decided to park his Mercedes S Class in my drive. When I came home from work, there was nowhere to park, except in my drive in front of the Mercedes.

Anyway, I had my dinner and washed it down with a few glasses of wine and then there was a knock at the door. It was the owner of the Mercedes wanting me to move my car.

I refused, saying that I couldn't drive it because I had been drinking and that he should take a taxi and collect his car the next day. However, his wife was going ‘radio rental' and was threatening to phone the police.

Nevertheless, I still refused to shift the car but after half an hour of him banging on the door I relented and reversed it out so they could leave.

However, as they drove away, the police arrived – she did call them after all – and I explained what had happened to the officers expecting them to let me put my car back in the drive. But they didn't. They breathalysed me and arrested me for being intoxicated whilst in control of a motorised vehicle on the public highway!

If I'd known the police were coming, of course, I wouldn't have done the Jewish couple the favour of moving my car (and would have thus avoided spending the night in jail and a subsequent three year driving ban) and, instead, would have let the Jewish couple explain to the police why they were trespassing on private property.

that's fairly funny. they caught you in the car obviously? dunno who's to blame in that story really lol.. all three parties acted quite the prick really.
signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:10:36 PM
At 9/5/2010 1:57:36 PM, badger wrote:
At 9/5/2010 1:52:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

that's fairly funny. they caught you in the car obviously? dunno who's to blame in that story really lol.. all three parties acted quite the prick really.

Well, obviously I learned my lesson never to be nice to Jews again but the polis should have used their common sense. And I bitterly regret not calling the filth myself and having the Jewish couple removed from my property.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:17:54 PM
And they were always doing it. At the time I had two cars and I reversed one out into the road and left it running so I could get the other one out. And as I did, a Jewish man parked his car in my drive! I protested but he ran into the synagogue and said he would only be ten minutes!

What? I mean WTF'ing F? I complained to the big boss man of the synagogue about all this but he never did anything about it.

I should have put gates up really but instead I moved house.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:25:04 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:17:54 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
And they were always doing it. At the time I had two cars and I reversed one out into the road and left it running so I could get the other one out. And as I did, a Jewish man parked his car in my drive! I protested but he ran into the synagogue and said he would only be ten minutes!

What? I mean WTF'ing F? I complained to the big boss man of the synagogue about all this but he never did anything about it.

I should have put gates up really but instead I moved house.

You should have refused to allow them onto your property until the police arrived.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:29:09 PM

I should get my "bf" in here to kick his a$s, lmao.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:31:17 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:18:47 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
If I lived in America, would I be allowed to shoot them?

No freedom of religion, they get to shoot you.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:44:56 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:18:47 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
If I lived in America, would I be allowed to shoot them?

Okay, this remark was OTT but I'm still very angry about the whole thing - and there's also the big issue of Palestine that gets my goat as well.

Nevertheless, I do have some liberal Jewish friends who are opposed to Israel's illegal occupation of Arab land so please don't get the idea that I tar all Jews with the same brush.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:52:47 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:29:09 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Hes British. Theres not much I can do.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:53:42 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:52:47 PM, juvanya wrote:
At 9/5/2010 2:29:09 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Hes British. Theres not much I can do.

Plane ticket to the UK? ;)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:56:15 PM
that'd get me thick too brian. don't get me wrong like. but you can't really hold a grudge against them for you losing your lisence. if i was gonna go after anyone after something like that it'd be the boys in blue. rob's after 'em cos they tasered him. ye could conspire together.
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 2:59:41 PM
Eh, I don't see why hate jews. That couple of course but I don't really get how being jewish makes them bad. If they didn't go to the synogauge then it wouldn't have affected you but it could have been a christian church, or any other place of worship.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:02:51 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:56:15 PM, badger wrote:
if i was gonna go after anyone after something like that it'd be the boys in blue. rob's after 'em cos they tasered him. ye could conspire together.
Police are despicable savages. They are no better than gangs with fancy suits.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:03:37 PM
At 9/5/2010 2:59:41 PM, lovelife wrote:
Eh, I don't see why hate jews. That couple of course but I don't really get how being jewish makes them bad. If they didn't go to the synogauge then it wouldn't have affected you but it could have been a christian church, or any other place of worship.

It's nothing new. Jews have been demonized for thousands of years.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:05:16 PM
At 9/5/2010 3:03:37 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I just hate when people seriously hate on a religious group just for their religion. With brian I'm a little more than half convinced he's kidding.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:05:28 PM

And vice versa.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:16:39 PM
At 9/5/2010 3:05:28 PM, Mirza wrote:

And vice versa.

You means Jews persecuting Muslims?