Jump to topic:

The Superiority of the Individualist

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 1:53:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The person too distinctly an individualist would put too great a significance on his, or her, own experience. Thereby setting up his, or her, experience as the gold standard, whereby, to judge all other people.

If the actions of others fall short of that which the individualist deems necessary, there is determined a lack of moral integrity.

However, if the individualist committed those exact same failures, he, or she, would judge oneself less harshly, being the individualist would consider himself, or herself, as morally superior, equivalent to a parent being more forgiving of one's own children than he, or she, is of the offenses of others.

Extreme individuality sets one up as judge and jury of those not equivalent to the individualist, and being an exacter of justice, he, or she, shows no mercy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 2:08:24 AM
At 9/1/2015 1:53:55 AM, s-anthony wrote:
The person too distinctly an individualist would put too great a significance on his, or her, own experience. Thereby setting up his, or her, experience as the gold standard, whereby, to judge all other people.

If the actions of others fall short of that which the individualist deems necessary, there is determined a lack of moral integrity.

However, if the individualist committed those exact same failures, he, or she, would judge oneself less harshly, being the individualist would consider himself, or herself, as morally superior, equivalent to a parent being more forgiving of one's own children than he, or she, is of the offenses of others.

Extreme individuality sets one up as judge and jury of those not equivalent to the individualist, and being an exacter of justice, he, or she, shows no mercy.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:01:05 PM

In many times, yes, but that is usually under the purview of actual authority. Two guys playing cards and fixing the worlds problems over a few beers are much more inclined to compromise rather than say... your boss and you at work.

What does this have to do toward an achievable goal? I am assuming that is the case, as you refer to a standard and experience. Personal impression doesn't mean a whole lot without authority to do something about it.

.... wha...? "You are your own worse critic". Some people do, some people don't judge themselves in a different light, and some people know damn well they have failed morally in some avenue, but accept it and move on. That doesn't alleviate the judgment, just makes the punishment less severe.

I am afraid I am going to need an example in order to follow this part.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 12:31:33 AM

Not true, and I'm not sure why you make so many stupid generalizations, which are mostly incorrect. The individualist, would not necessarily view himself as superior to all others. I assume most individualists wouldn't. It's stupid and narcissistic. The individualist is typically less judgmental and carries the motto "live and let live". They don't pursue policies that try to legislate morality, as the collectivist does. If the individualist thought himself superior he would try to force his morality on others, but it's the collectivist who do so. The collectivist therefore, believes his ethical system superior to all others and doesn't consider the fact he could be wrong.

Untrue again. The individualist has very high standards for himself and literally no standards for others.

This is the dumbest stuff ever. This is just classical projection. An individualist by definition is non judgmental of others.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 4:33:35 AM

Not true, and I'm not sure why you make so many stupid generalizations, which are mostly incorrect. The individualist, would not necessarily view himself as superior to all others. I assume most individualists wouldn't. It's stupid and narcissistic.

If the individualist saw no greater value in himself, or herself, why would he, or she, prefer oneself over others? In other words, why would the individualist seek to be set apart from others?

The individualist is typically less judgmental and carries the motto "live and let live".

If the individualist is less judgemental or partial to oneself, why would he, or she, rebel against the collective?

They don't pursue policies that try to legislate morality, as the collectivist does. If the individualist thought himself superior he would try to force his morality on others, but it's the collectivist who do so. The collectivist therefore, believes his ethical system superior to all others and doesn't consider the fact he could be wrong.

The collectivist considers the collective superior to individual personalities, not oneself. If the collectivist thought he, or she, as an individual, were superior to all others, by definition, he, or she, would not be a collectivist but an individualist.

Untrue again. The individualist has very high standards for himself and literally no standards for others.

My point exactly.

This is the dumbest stuff ever. This is just classical projection. An individualist by definition is non judgmental of others.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:17:14 PM
The collectivist system is the light. The lady is the OP. The individualist is the daddy.

First of all, I'm not a collectivist. I believe unadulterated collectivism is just as detrimental to a society as extreme individualism.

I believe the problem arises as people promote the extremes of any system of thought.

Lately, I have focused on that which I have seen as the failings of individualism. Don't worry. I'm sure I can come up with just as much, if not more, to dislike about collectivism.

I believe living on the extremes lends itself to a very contentious and destabilizing life.