Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 11:44:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
These guys are crazymotherfuckers.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com...

This guys has, literally, what he calls an "anti-terrorist" bag. He says it's for weapons and defense purposes, and distinguishes this from other "bags" that he carries. He has what he calls an EDC bag (every day carry), a bug-out bag (for when the government comes for him, and he has to run to the hills), and all other kinds of crazy sh!t.

I share this with you, because seeing this stuff is shocking. It's like what I would expect to see from insane Russians. But instead, it's just paranoid Americans who are making "anti-Terrorist bags." These guys are literally existential arguments for stricter gun control. These guys (mostly white suburban dudes) are paranoid as hell, and I laugh at them... but they have their own culture on Youtube and other places on the fringes of the internet.

The second video is a "tactical load-out" bag. (That's the trend you're going to notice about these wannabe commandos. They have "bags" for all kinds of things.) He calls this an "ASO" bag, and it's loaded with all kinds of things that scream for stricter gun control laws.

This bag has seven mesh pockets, and he has an assault rifle, handguns, ammunition, gloves, a camo bandana (for when he feels like he needs to pretend to be Rambo), a fire-kit, and all kinds of other things that are deeply alarming to assemble. You would think that this guy is getting ready to retreat into the wild, or face down the full might of the Russian army. But no... he's just a lunatic who is exercising his second amendment rights.

Here's another crazy person, who talks about that most important topic of how to conceal a gun in your house; he calls them "tactical walls." He puts ten (10) pistols, not eight, or one... but TEN pistols under what looks like a fireplace mantle. His reason? "With the economy being what it is...the argument is... one school of thought...there's a gun safe. Now, a gun safe, but what this is designed for is for people who might not have room." What better place than something that looks like a fireplace mantle so that when your kids go to hang their stockings on Christmas eve they're prepared to fight off the intifada... or those terrorist elves that might come down the chimney. And this guy has thought of everything.. he keeps a submachine gun above his fvckign door.

Now, when he actually gets to the fireplace... he's talking about people stealing his TV, and his antique guns. Of course, his security system is in place. But this guy has another secret gun shelf with an ACTUAL machine gun in it beside his fireplace. There are three pistols in addition to that.

What you might be thinking is... what the hell is this guy prepping for? Dawn of the dead? His own I am Legend scene? But, that doesn't even get to the guns he has hidden behind his mirror. A remmington shotgun, and more fvcking pistols, and shells for the shotgun. Clearly, though, this guy is not a military guy. He's too fat for that. He's not a cop, although he's just fat enough for that. Just a lunatic exercising his second amendment rights.

---

The first guy is... I have no words. The last guy is probably the most stupid, in terms of how he prepared for a home invasion, of the guys I've seen on Youtube. He talks about how you need these "tactical walls" or whatever to "defend against thieves." But in reality, if a thief breaks into your home, and if the thief sees that you're there or that you have a security system... he's going to gtfo. Why? He doesn't want to go to jail. Simple as that.

But, say someone actually comes into your house to do you harm? You're not going to have time to fvck around with your stupid toy tactical wall. You'll be dead on the floor because the armed thief is going to see you screwing around with the armory beside your fireplace and think "best that I shoot this guy before he pulls a gun out of this secret compartment."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 9:07:49 AM
Yeah they have no life, it's a good ideal to keep a 72 hour bag for any type of emergency, though. 5 or 6 MREs, matches, something to filter water with, and maybe a little survival guide. You never know when something stupid is going to happen.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 9:11:27 AM
The third guy is probably actually setting himself up to get robbed with all that crap. A motivated individual would just attack him outside his house, and keep a knife close to his throat, while he takes him door to door, raiding his stuff.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 2:06:36 PM
Most of those guys are what I would call "gear junkies". And they typically talk a big game about being prepared for anything. The problem is most of them only go as far as to collect the gear, the majority of which is typically a variety of guns and ammo.

What they conveniently tend to forget is that having 30 guns does you very little good in an actual "bug out" situation. For one you can only use one at a time effectively. Sure you can jump around like an idiot blazing off a couple UZI's akimbo style if you like. But Rambo tactics get you killed in the real world, and chances are any guy looking down the sights of his rusty old 20 Ga single shot is going to make short work of you. In any practical "bug out" situation I doubt you'd ever make use of much more than a carbine rifle, a sidearm, and a shotgun. With just those 3 firearms you should have all your bases covered. Not to mention that you could actually achieve mastery of 3 firearms and become very effective with them through practice. Good luck mastering two dozen different guns. Throw in a few ammo adapter inserts and you'd be set. There is no need to stockpile an entire arsenal.

For the most part these guys aren't nearly as prepared as they think they are. Sure they have a crap-load of gear, but many of them hardly ever do more than take it out of the box and put it into a bag. They don't typically go out and actually develop the skills they would need to actually bug-out.

With all that said, I do think that preparing for disaster is a wise choice. We should all be prepared to go without modern conveniences for an extended period of time, and to deal with potentially hostile and violent people during those times. Disasters do happen. Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc, can all cut us off from support and we may have to deal with going without power or water for days or weeks at a time. Looters often take advantage during these times so it would be good to be prepared to fend off some thugs if you needed to. And as we've seen lately riots are also a very real thing and can turn regular neighborhoods into war-zones in a shockingly short amount of time. These aren't far-fetched scenarios. They happen to people every year. But I doubt that stashing 10 sidearms in you fireplace is going to help you any more than 1 sidearm stashed in a bedside safe.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2015 3:27:05 PM
At 9/14/2015 2:06:36 PM, JMcKinley wrote:
Most of those guys are what I would call "gear junkies". And they typically talk a big game about being prepared for anything. The problem is most of them only go as far as to collect the gear, the majority of which is typically a variety of guns and ammo.

What they conveniently tend to forget is that having 30 guns does you very little good in an actual "bug out" situation. For one you can only use one at a time effectively. Sure you can jump around like an idiot blazing off a couple UZI's akimbo style if you like. But Rambo tactics get you killed in the real world, and chances are any guy looking down the sights of his rusty old 20 Ga single shot is going to make short work of you. In any practical "bug out" situation I doubt you'd ever make use of much more than a carbine rifle, a sidearm, and a shotgun. With just those 3 firearms you should have all your bases covered. Not to mention that you could actually achieve mastery of 3 firearms and become very effective with them through practice. Good luck mastering two dozen different guns. Throw in a few ammo adapter inserts and you'd be set. There is no need to stockpile an entire arsenal.

For the most part these guys aren't nearly as prepared as they think they are. Sure they have a crap-load of gear, but many of them hardly ever do more than take it out of the box and put it into a bag. They don't typically go out and actually develop the skills they would need to actually bug-out.

With all that said, I do think that preparing for disaster is a wise choice. We should all be prepared to go without modern conveniences for an extended period of time, and to deal with potentially hostile and violent people during those times. Disasters do happen. Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc, can all cut us off from support and we may have to deal with going without power or water for days or weeks at a time. Looters often take advantage during these times so it would be good to be prepared to fend off some thugs if you needed to. And as we've seen lately riots are also a very real thing and can turn regular neighborhoods into war-zones in a shockingly short amount of time. These aren't far-fetched scenarios. They happen to people every year. But I doubt that stashing 10 sidearms in you fireplace is going to help you any more than 1 sidearm stashed in a bedside safe.

I had a supervisor once who owned about a dozen (cheap) firearms. When anyone asked him why so many, he had a ready response: "What good are you if you can't arm your neighbors?"
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 12:56:41 AM
At 9/13/2015 11:44:33 PM, YYW wrote:

My doomsday preparations begin and end with a bottle of cyanide-laced wine.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 12:58:34 AM
At 9/15/2015 12:56:41 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

And how many drinks before that one?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 12:59:15 AM
At 9/15/2015 12:58:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Everything I have. Which may make the cyanide a bit redundant.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:00:56 AM
At 9/15/2015 12:59:15 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/15/2015 12:58:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Everything I have. Which may make the cyanide a bit redundant.

Lol
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:11:47 AM

For example:

This guys has, literally, what he calls an "anti-terrorist" bag. He says it's for weapons and defense purposes, and distinguishes this from other "bags" that he carries. He has what he calls an EDC bag (every day carry), a bug-out bag (for when the government comes for him, and he has to run to the hills), and all other kinds of crazy sh!t.

I share this with you, because seeing this stuff is shocking. It's like what I would expect to see from insane Russians. But instead, it's just paranoid Americans who are making "anti-Terrorist bags." These guys are literally existential arguments for stricter gun control. These guys (mostly white suburban dudes) are paranoid as hell, and I laugh at them... but they have their own culture on Youtube and other places on the fringes of the internet.

The second video is a "tactical load-out" bag. (That's the trend you're going to notice about these wannabe commandos. They have "bags" for all kinds of things.) He calls this an "ASO" bag, and it's loaded with all kinds of things that scream for stricter gun control laws.

This bag has seven mesh pockets, and he has an assault rifle, handguns, ammunition, gloves, a camo bandana (for when he feels like he needs to pretend to be Rambo), a fire-kit, and all kinds of other things that are deeply alarming to assemble. You would think that this guy is getting ready to retreat into the wild, or face down the full might of the Russian army. But no... he's just a lunatic who is exercising his second amendment rights.

Here's another crazy person, who talks about that most important topic of how to conceal a gun in your house; he calls them "tactical walls." He puts ten (10) pistols, not eight, or one... but TEN pistols under what looks like a fireplace mantle. His reason? "With the economy being what it is...the argument is... one school of thought...there's a gun safe. Now, a gun safe, but what this is designed for is for people who might not have room." What better place than something that looks like a fireplace mantle so that when your kids go to hang their stockings on Christmas eve they're prepared to fight off the intifada... or those terrorist elves that might come down the chimney. And this guy has thought of everything.. he keeps a submachine gun above his fvckign door.

Now, when he actually gets to the fireplace... he's talking about people stealing his TV, and his antique guns. Of course, his security system is in place. But this guy has another secret gun shelf with an ACTUAL machine gun in it beside his fireplace. There are three pistols in addition to that.

What you might be thinking is... what the hell is this guy prepping for? Dawn of the dead? His own I am Legend scene? But, that doesn't even get to the guns he has hidden behind his mirror. A remmington shotgun, and more fvcking pistols, and shells for the shotgun. Clearly, though, this guy is not a military guy. He's too fat for that. He's not a cop, although he's just fat enough for that. Just a lunatic exercising his second amendment rights.

---

The first guy is... I have no words. The last guy is probably the most stupid, in terms of how he prepared for a home invasion, of the guys I've seen on Youtube. He talks about how you need these "tactical walls" or whatever to "defend against thieves." But in reality, if a thief breaks into your home, and if the thief sees that you're there or that you have a security system... he's going to gtfo. Why? He doesn't want to go to jail. Simple as that.

But, say someone actually comes into your house to do you harm? You're not going to have time to fvck around with your stupid toy tactical wall. You'll be dead on the floor because the armed thief is going to see you screwing around with the armory beside your fireplace and think "best that I shoot this guy before he pulls a gun out of this secret compartment."

The same argument could be made of any lock-box though. "It'll take too long and they'll shoot you". I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet anyone here $100 that he doesn't keep his primary home-defense gun locked up for that reason.
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:12:43 AM

For example:

---

And the second guy is a retired veteran FYI
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 1:15:55 AM
At 9/15/2015 1:15:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/15/2015 1:12:43 AM, Mr_Anderson wrote:
And the second guy is a retired veteran FYI

Still batshit crazy.

Everyone has their own form of crazy :p
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2015 6:34:24 PM

Right? What is with this lust to live the post-apocalyptic sh1t world.

Great! Another day of eating MREs and killing zombies.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 9:04:06 AM
At 9/15/2015 6:34:24 PM, TBR wrote:

You have a moral obligation to rape and impregnate as many women as possible. Dying would be unethical.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 2:35:02 PM
At 9/16/2015 9:04:06 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/15/2015 6:34:24 PM, TBR wrote:

You have a moral obligation to rape and impregnate as many women as possible. Dying would be unethical.

Yea, that sounds like a bad day.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:16:32 AM

I won't lie, I have a fascination with preppers. There's a whole show on these people: https://en.wikipedia.org...

(And IIRC, there's a couple others. I binge-watched them in Netflix at one point).

And I have put entirely too much thought (in the sense that any number greater than 0 is too much) in a Zombie Preparedness Plan. I have as much fun doing that as I do working on chess problems, basically.

Apocalypse preparedness is a sort of escapism. It may also be rooted in fear or whatever craziness, but I think it's a form of fantasy. Some people get off on getting really into Gor. Some people get really into Star Trek. And some people get really into prepping. Because it's ostensibly based in the "real world", it's easy to get so lost in the fantasy that you wind up, well, crazy. Cults don't succeed just because of the actions of the cult leader, they succeed because people have a general inherent tendency to go into a self-reinforcing cycle of delusion.

I'm actually reminded somewhat of the movie "Bug"; have you ever seen that?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 3:57:50 PM
At 10/3/2015 8:16:32 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I won't lie, I have a fascination with preppers. There's a whole show on these people: https://en.wikipedia.org...

Oh they're very interesting; watching their videos on Youtube is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Apocalypse preparedness is a sort of escapism. It may also be rooted in fear or whatever craziness, but I think it's a form of fantasy. Some people get off on getting really into Gor. Some people get really into Star Trek. And some people get really into prepping. Because it's ostensibly based in the "real world", it's easy to get so lost in the fantasy that you wind up, well, crazy. Cults don't succeed just because of the actions of the cult leader, they succeed because people have a general inherent tendency to go into a self-reinforcing cycle of delusion.

Now that's something I haven't thought of, and it's certainly a reasonable explanation. I look at these guys and I see that they're preparing for a disaster that will never come, and in a sense it's really just grown men playing dress up.

What concerns me about that, though, is the prospect of their doing these things and interpreting events and circumstances as indicative of the end's being near, and their subsequent "jumping into action" --so to say-- in response to that. I feel like there's a real danger there.

I mean, with Star Trek fans, I think most of them can distinguish fantasy from reality. Like, science fiction is not reality, and they know it, even if some among that lot like to pretend and get pretty into it. But peppers; these people seem to sincerely believe that the "end" --whatever that is-- is in fact "near" and this is the cause of their spending tremendous amounts of money in the process of assembling items which they believe they will need when the worst unfolds.

I haven't seen it... sorry.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:09:25 PM
At 10/3/2015 3:57:50 PM, YYW wrote:
At 10/3/2015 8:16:32 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Oh they're very interesting; watching their videos on Youtube is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Now that's something I haven't thought of, and it's certainly a reasonable explanation. I look at these guys and I see that they're preparing for a disaster that will never come, and in a sense it's really just grown men playing dress up.

What concerns me about that, though, is the prospect of their doing these things and interpreting events and circumstances as indicative of the end's being near, and their subsequent "jumping into action" --so to say-- in response to that. I feel like there's a real danger there.

Well, I think the danger is less than you'd think because I think most of these people are of the "talk a good game" variety. But I agree that there is certainly a subset who are actually likely to do something.

I mean, with Star Trek fans, I think most of them can distinguish fantasy from reality. Like, science fiction is not reality, and they know it, even if some among that lot like to pretend and get pretty into it. But peppers; these people seem to sincerely believe that the "end" --whatever that is-- is in fact "near" and this is the cause of their spending tremendous amounts of money in the process of assembling items which they believe they will need when the worst unfolds.

Yeah. The link to "reality" (in the sense of their fantasies being set in the real world) is close enough to help feed into that self-reinforcement cycle.

I haven't seen it... sorry.

It's a movie where a (generally) sane single mother picks up a drifter/handyman/vet. He seems like he's just generically "troubled" at first, but as time goes on reveals his craziness--he believes he's been experimented on by the government and that he's infested with the titular bugs. He can see them, but if you can't it's because they're too small to be seen. The woman is invested enough in this guy by the time he shows his "real" crazy that she winds up sharing the delusion--it becomes a folie a deux.

I feel like these preppers are folie a plusieurs.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!