Jump to topic:

Banning Pink Guns.

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 7:38:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So last week, I went to a local gun show. My day was ruined when a seller had told me the government is trying to ban companies from paining guns pink because they believe women shouldn't be shooting guns...thoughts?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 7:46:24 PM
At 9/16/2015 7:38:55 PM, Lee001 wrote:
So last week, I went to a local gun show. My day was ruined when a seller had told me the government is trying to ban companies from paining guns pink because they believe women shouldn't be shooting guns...thoughts?

You really shouldn't believe everything you hear.

I assumed this story was fake--it sounded as though it came right out of Breitbart, or something--so I googled it, and came across this article:

[http://news.tacticalgear.com...].

The logic of banning pink guns isn't to discourage women from purchasing guns--if that were the intention, they would pass a law prohibiting women from purchasing guns. It's that "nontraditional" colors too closely resemble toy guns, and that would endanger police if they were unsure of whether or not to respond in self defense to someone holding a pink gun. Note that not only pink, but various shades of neon--basically, anything that doesn't fit into their prescribed box--is also banned.

I think this is a really silly idea, but the actual logic of the ban is far different and more complex than "they hate women!"
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 7:50:07 PM
At 9/16/2015 7:46:24 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I assumed this story was fake--it sounded as though it came right out of Breitbart, or something--so I googled it, and came across this article:

The logic of banning pink guns isn't to discourage women from purchasing guns--if that were the intention, they would pass a law prohibiting women from purchasing guns. It's that "nontraditional" colors too closely resemble toy guns, and that would endanger police if they were unsure of whether or not to respond in self defense to someone holding a pink gun. Note that not only pink, but various shades of neon--basically, anything that doesn't fit into their prescribed box--is also banned.

I think this is a really silly idea, but the actual logic of the ban is far different and more complex than "they hate women!"

I think the guy I was talking to was a pretty reliable source considering he's a gun dealer. But the fact of actually making it illegal has not came up to the surface yet because its still being decided on. But when it all comes down to it, I believe everyone has the right to protect themselves, women just as much have this right.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:04:40 PM
At 9/16/2015 7:50:07 PM, Lee001 wrote:
I think the guy I was talking to was a pretty reliable source considering he's a gun dealer.

Even if he himself was credible -- and being a gun dealer does not afford him the kind of credibility you think it does -- extraordinary claims need to be backed not solely by credibility, but by some tangible, accessible basis, lest the person surrender their credibility outright. From how it sounds, you didn't know this guy, so you're basing the validity of his (factually incorrect) story on nothing more than a bare assertion. I'm saying you shouldn't do that, irrespective of how credible you *think* he is.

I mean, hell, if I told you that guppies grew on trees, would you just believe me because I'm an economist? In the same reason there's no reason to take at face value something ostensibly controversial that I say about an area outside of my expertise, there's no reason to think a gun dealer is educated on gun legislation.

But the fact of actually making it illegal has not came up to the surface yet because its still being decided on.

It has "come up to the surface" because there are articles on it, and clearly he heard about it. If it were underground, no one would know about it, and we wouldn't be talking about it. The ban hasn't gone into effect, true, which is ever more reason not to make asinine assumptions as to nonexistent legislative intentions.

But when it all comes down to it, I believe everyone has the right to protect themselves, women just as much have this right.

And no one is denying them that right--assuming so is reasoning from a faulty premise.

The funny thing is, even if that *were* the intention, women *would* have a right to protect themselves. I think it's *more* discriminatory to associate women--or gay people, as the article alludes to--as the only people who stereotypically like the color "pink." In your picture, for instance, you have a black gun. I didn't even know pink guns existed prior to researching this briefly. There's no reason to think women wouldn't protect themselves with black or any other color guns such that banning pink guns irreparable impedes on their access, so this leads us to two conclusions: (1) legislators are unbelievably stupid because their intention to "prevent women from accessing guns" won't be accomplished in any way other than physically banning them from accessing guns or (2) this is hogwash, and there are genuine reasons--especially now with riots over police all throughout the country--that "nontraditional colors" might endanger the lives of police and, consequently, of laypeople.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:05:38 PM
such that banning pink guns wouldn't irreparably impede their access*

DDO's Economics Messiah
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:12:56 PM

It's sexist to assume all women like the color pink and thus want pink guns.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:17:23 PM
At 9/16/2015 8:12:56 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Personally, I don't want a pink gun. I don't need to shove it in people faces that I'm a girl, and YES I shoot guns. That's what is says to me.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:19:25 PM
No, the ban is to keep the homosexuals from defending themselves when the conservative revolution happens and we come to their houses to steal their marriage licenses https://en.wikipedia.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:20:54 PM
At 9/16/2015 8:19:25 PM, thett3 wrote:
No, the ban is to keep the homosexuals from defending themselves when the conservative revolution happens and we come to their houses to steal their marriage licenses https://en.wikipedia.org...

XD How do I not know about this?

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 8:24:38 PM
At 9/16/2015 8:20:54 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 9/16/2015 8:19:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

XD How do I not know about this?

You're not even a protestant and certainly not a male. To join the conservative revolution, you have to be a white, straight, protestant male. And "white" meaning like WHITE white--Northern Europe. You don't have blonde hair/blue eyes, so you can't join the conservative revolution. Sorry
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2015 11:45:14 PM
At 9/16/2015 8:12:56 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't have a pink gun, but I'm sure if I had to shoot with you, I'd score. ;)
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 10:27:36 AM

That's the logic they're telling you, but how do you know there isn't some hidden logic?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:10:50 AM
At 9/18/2015 10:27:36 AM, Wylted wrote:

That's the logic they're telling you, but how do you know there isn't some hidden logic?

I don't claim to know, but the onus probandi is on the person claiming there *is* some hidden logic, not on someone asserting that, for all intents and purposes, absence of evidence is evidence of evidence. The OP made an assumption that this was the case based on hearsay, and that's a horrible way to approach life.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 12:09:35 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:10:50 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I don't claim to know, but the onus probandi is on the person claiming there *is* some hidden logic, not on someone asserting that, for all intents and purposes, absence of evidence is evidence of evidence. The OP made an assumption that this was the case based on hearsay, and that's a horrible way to approach life.

Yeah, but aren't you making the counter claim that those who are against guns being pink, are being 100% honest about their motives?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 1:31:08 PM
At 9/18/2015 12:09:35 PM, Wylted wrote:

Yeah, but aren't you making the counter claim that those who are against guns being pink, are being 100% honest about their motives?

No, To the contrary, the OP was assuming that opponents of pink guns are 100% *dishonest* about their motives. I was merely presenting the fact that there are other, extremely valid arguments as to why this ban might be a good idea that are far removed from "sexism" (which itself would be a stupid idea, since it wouldn't actually prevent women from acquiring firearms).

DDO's Economics Messiah
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 7:48:14 PM

Yea, this is about not making guns that look like toys. Regardless, I don't think there is any legislation on it right now, but I would support it.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:26:18 PM

They shouldn't be operating automobiles either.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:30:02 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:26:18 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Lol..thats funny. :p

Is that why car insurance is more expensive for men?

What about men being more likley to die in a car wreck (true fact)

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:33:47 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:30:02 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Men tend to exhibit risky behavior, especially young men. However, this does not negate that an abundant number of female drivers also conduct themselves dangerously whilst driving.

As it pertains to the banning of pink guns, who cares? I would like to think that a weapon is purchased for the utility factor and not for aesthetics. unless you desire a unique weapon to say... mount on your wall, why bother with the color?
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:36:12 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:33:47 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Men tend to exhibit risky behavior, especially young men. However, this does not negate that an abundant number of female drivers also conduct themselves dangerously whilst driving.

As it pertains to the banning of pink guns, who cares? I would like to think that a weapon is purchased for the utility factor and not for aesthetics. unless you desire a unique weapon to say... mount on your wall, why bother with the color?

I agree. The color dosen't bother me as much as the reasoning behind it, which is that "Women should'n shoot guns"

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:41:25 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:36:12 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I agree. The color dosen't bother me as much as the reasoning behind it, which is that "Women should'n shoot guns"

If an individual is trained, educated, and able/willing to fire a weapon, then I don't see a problem.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 11:48:16 PM
At 9/18/2015 11:41:25 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

If an individual is trained, educated, and able/willing to fire a weapon, then I don't see a problem.

I completely agree. Here where I'm from (may be different in other states) you must take a rifle safety test to ensure you A) know how to use the gun and B) you know the safety pre-cautions.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:45:20 AM

I suppose some really determined women will buy guns even though they don't come in candy colors? It's a big ask to get a woman to carry something that doesn't match her outfit...but black and silver go with a lot of stuff and guns come in those colors don't they?
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:49:03 AM
At 9/19/2015 12:45:20 AM, Hoppi wrote:

I suppose some really determined women will buy guns even though they don't come in candy colors? It's a big ask to get a woman to carry something that doesn't match her outfit...but black and silver go with a lot of stuff and guns come in those colors don't they?

English please?

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:53:05 AM
At 9/19/2015 12:49:03 AM, Lee001 wrote:

English please?

I don't like the way you're equating pink with female access to weapons. It assumes that women purchase weapons based on color, which makes them out to be really frivolous. If someone doesn't want a gun because it's the wrong color then I'm okay with them being unarmed.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 12:58:13 AM
At 9/19/2015 12:53:05 AM, Hoppi wrote:

English please?

I don't like the way you're equating pink with female access to weapons. It assumes that women purchase weapons based on color, which makes them out to be really frivolous. If someone doesn't want a gun because it's the wrong color then I'm okay with them being unarmed.

That's not the point. Its the mentality of it. Guys think patriarchy is a actual thing, so they feel the need to convert anything "unisex" to be a complete male thing. If a women can shoot, and wants to embrace her femininity with a pink gun, so be it.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 1:19:28 AM
At 9/18/2015 1:31:08 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

No, To the contrary, the OP was assuming that opponents of pink guns are 100% *dishonest* about their motives. I was merely presenting the fact that there are other, extremely valid arguments as to why this ban might be a good idea that are far removed from "sexism" (which itself would be a stupid idea, since it wouldn't actually prevent women from acquiring firearms).

Women are the last people that should be carrying guns, often their tempers have a hair trigger. I don't be trustin no b1tches
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 1:20:02 AM
At 9/19/2015 1:19:28 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/18/2015 1:31:08 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Women are the last people that should be carrying guns, often their tempers have a hair trigger. I don't be trustin no b1tches

lol

DDO's Economics Messiah
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 2:46:34 AM
At 9/19/2015 12:58:13 AM, Lee001 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 12:53:05 AM, Hoppi wrote:

English please?

That's not the point. Its the mentality of it. Guys think patriarchy is a actual thing, so they feel the need to convert anything "unisex" to be a complete male thing. If a women can shoot, and wants to embrace her femininity with a pink gun, so be it.

Yeah but why is that a woman thing? Don't you think men long to express themselves with brightly colored weapons too? Like, if there were restrictions based on height, facial hair or upper body strength, I could see the sexism. But there's nothing gender specific about liking candy colors for weapons unless you make assumptions about gender, and I think those assumptions are more sexist than the regulations
Berend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 7:16:12 AM

I'd be very skeptical of the seller... But if what he said (and you in turn telling us) is true, that is B.S. If you want to shoot a gun, shoot a gun. If you want it in pink, get it in pink. But the story appears strange. So I have to say I am skeptical.