Jump to topic:

If Aliens Visit Earth

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 4:11:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If aliens visit our little pebble (Earth) who should greet them and how should we react to them visiting. Discuss.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 4:21:25 PM
I assume you mean from outer space.

At 9/13/2010 4:11:44 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
If aliens visit our little pebble (Earth) who should greet them

Whoever first sees them and is where they come.

and how should we react to them visiting.

We should react as they act. If they are friendly be friendly. I don't really know what you mean. If they need help, help them, pretty simple.

Discuss.

I wonder what type of food they would eat, how they would act, what they would look like, and if they could adapt to any/all earth languages. I would also be curious as to how advanced they are, their culture, and what their me planet is like.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 4:30:36 PM
At 9/13/2010 4:25:52 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'll do it.

Your assuming they will come to Oklahoma.
Not only that but I'm sure you also assume them to be friendly. Or at least not dangerous.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 4:33:46 PM
outer space . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 5:04:33 PM
If aliens visit our little pebble (Earth) who should greet them and how should we react to them visiting. Discuss.:

Too many unknown variables to answer realistically.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 6:46:07 PM
hmmm . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2010 9:16:55 PM
If aliens visit our little pebble (Earth)...

Woah. An alien thread started by someone other than Geo. O.o

who should greet them...

Depends on what kind of impression we want to make on them. I recommend keeping our politicians as far away from them as possible if we want the aliens to like us.

Of course, if they're hostile, it's obvious who should meet them (1st video)

..and how should we react to them visiting.

Hostile? 2nd video.

Friendly? 3rd.

Discuss.

OK.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 4:19:28 AM
What if they're like the Goa'uld or the Wraith
Minister Of Trolling
:
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:37:37 AM
The Universe is almost 14,000,000,000 years old, and we have just discovered the vast majority of the technology we use in the last 1-200 years. Our culture is perhaps a few thousand years old, and we have existed in this physical/biological state for 500,000 to 1,000,000 years. Using these numbers, it is clear that contact with alien life would not be anything like anything we have imagined in the past, basedon our fictional literature and ideas. Alien life with the capability to traverse immense distances in space would likely be somewhere from several hundred million to ten billion years ahead of us on the evolutionary scale. If you look at how humans treat the lower forms of life they encounter, we are in deep trouble if interstellar and intergalactic travel is possible. We drive lower species to extinction for the sole purpose of maintaining an economy of Abercrombie and Finch and cheap plastic disposable goods. We destroy lesser human cultures, even, by either directly conquering them or extorting them with cash to gain access to their raw resources.

Alien life will either have a highly-developed sense of morality, or it will wipe us out like a rag full of soapy water on a stain of mold. Based on the conversations I have with DDO members every day, in which everyone insists that humans are riddled with greed and it is useless to try and create a just economic and political system because we are simply to vicious, I would say we better just hope life doesn't exist out there because either they are going to be like us (we're screwed) or they are going to see us as a scourge of vice in a primitive authoritarian individualistic culture which has no hopes of maintaining a beneficial balance between its states or its environment. Wiping us out and repopulating us with higher forms of life will be as natural as what we did to the American Indians, except in this case it will be a positive change in which parasites are replaced with symbiotic beings (the opposite of Christopher Columbus's experience).

The fact that we haven't been visited yet means that a) aliens are unwilling to contact us, b) interstellar/intergalactic travel is not possible, or c) life is simply to rare in the universe to allow for such contact between alien worlds. Perhaps it is so rare that contact is only made once every billion years or so... There are certainly instances like supernovae that are rare to this extreme (1 per galaxy of 100,000,000,000 stars per year) and that does seem to be the way the cosmos works - slowly. It will probably be milliions of years before we were to make contact with other intelligent life and I certainly hope our culture and political system has evolved before that happens!
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 9:57:17 AM
you'll be ok rob. they'll probably come to ireland first seeing as it's the only country that looks green from space... besides new zealand, but it'd be too mountainess there for them to set down their ship so... and green's what you want like! so we'll all be ok since us irish are significantly more evolved and morally superior to the rest of ye and probably so much so that we'll be in a position to put in a good word for the rest of ye :)
signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 1:34:23 PM
At 9/14/2010 9:37:37 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

The fact that we haven't been visited yet means that a) aliens are unwilling to contact us, b) interstellar/intergalactic travel is not possible, or c) life is simply to rare in the universe to allow for such contact between alien worlds. Perhaps it is so rare that contact is only made once every billion years or so...

The thing is that the nearest star with a planetary system capable of harbouring intelligent life is so far away that no extraterrestrials will yet be aware of our existence. The earliest radio transmissions (which travel at the speed of light) will not reach them for thousands of years yet - and then, if they decide to visit us, it will take them thousands of years to get here - even if they have the technology to travel at the speed of light.

Let's face it, with 10 septillion stars in the universe to choose from, why would they make a bee-line for our sun unless they knew intelligent life* existed here?

* It grieves me that I am not to be able to include members of the Conservative Party in this category!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 1:37:30 PM
I think aliens would have as much of a prerogative to kill us as we woudl to kill them.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2010 3:36:41 PM
What if they can travel FTL (wormholes, or warp, or whatever)
Minister Of Trolling
:
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 5:59:15 AM
At 9/14/2010 1:34:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 9/14/2010 9:37:37 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

The fact that we haven't been visited yet means that a) aliens are unwilling to contact us, b) interstellar/intergalactic travel is not possible, or c) life is simply to rare in the universe to allow for such contact between alien worlds. Perhaps it is so rare that contact is only made once every billion years or so...

The thing is that the nearest star with a planetary system capable of harbouring intelligent life is so far away that no extraterrestrials will yet be aware of our existence. The earliest radio transmissions (which travel at the speed of light) will not reach them for thousands of years yet - and then, if they decide to visit us, it will take them thousands of years to get here - even if they have the technology to travel at the speed of light.

Let's face it, with 10 septillion stars in the universe to choose from, why would they make a bee-line for our sun unless they knew intelligent life* existed here?

* It grieves me that I am not to be able to include members of the Conservative Party in this category!

Interestingly enough, Stephen Hawking is warning us against seeking out new life, because he says they will obviously be much more intelligent/advanced then we are (simply based on the time argument of my first post) and they will most likely just swoop in and eradicate us for our resources. Those radio transmissions could be the death of us... Thankfully we aren't transmitting in high volumes anymore now that we have more sophisticated equipment.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 6:06:47 AM
At 9/14/2010 3:36:41 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I'm personally not convinced this exists myself... Time and space are too interconnected in my opinion, although my opinion is rather worthless. At least according to Hawking, traveling through a wormhole would bring you back in time. Think about if you traveled instantly through a wormhole to Mars, where there was a telescope trained on your previous position on Earth. You could then look at yourself a few minutes ago, preparing to leave. Looking at your former self, would you not be able to just step back through and arrive even earlier than you left? Consider if you again, had yet another telescope trained on your past/future self on Mars. When you got through to Earth the second time, you would now be looking at your previous/future self on Mars! This type of ridiculousness leads me to believe that the universe does not allow for time and FTL travel. We get the benefit of time dilation, which speeds up our trip for us so that it doesn't seem as long (and indeed once we start traveling, if we can push c almost to the limit we can get to where we're going nearly intanstly, psych speaking). However this prings up a new type of "pollution" in my opinion, in which we are speeding up the age of the universe so much that we will literally run out of time. Probably not a good idea!
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 6:08:44 AM
If aliens visit our little pebble (Earth) who should greet them and how should we react to them visiting. Discuss.

We should send Rush Limbaugh to greet them.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 1:56:22 PM
At 9/15/2010 6:06:47 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:
At 9/14/2010 3:36:41 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I'm personally not convinced this exists myself... Time and space are too interconnected in my opinion, although my opinion is rather worthless. At least according to Hawking, traveling through a wormhole would bring you back in time. Think about if you traveled instantly through a wormhole to Mars, where there was a telescope trained on your previous position on Earth. You could then look at yourself a few minutes ago, preparing to leave. Looking at your former self, would you not be able to just step back through and arrive even earlier than you left? Consider if you again, had yet another telescope trained on your past/future self on Mars. When you got through to Earth the second time, you would now be looking at your previous/future self on Mars! This type of ridiculousness leads me to believe that the universe does not allow for time and FTL travel. We get the benefit of time dilation, which speeds up our trip for us so that it doesn't seem as long (and indeed once we start traveling, if we can push c almost to the limit we can get to where we're going nearly intanstly, psych speaking). However this prings up a new type of "pollution" in my opinion, in which we are speeding up the age of the universe so much that we will literally run out of time. Probably not a good idea!

what about trans dimensional hyperspace (go to another dimension in order to achieve ftl)
Minister Of Trolling
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 3:26:04 PM
Interestingly enough, Stephen Hawking is warning us against seeking out new life, because he says they will obviously be much more intelligent/advanced then we are (simply based on the time argument of my first post) and they will most likely just swoop in and eradicate us for our resources. Those radio transmissions could be the death of us.:

Obviously much more intelligent/advanced than we are? There is literally not a shred of evidence to suggest that

1. Aliens would be more intelligent
2. Aliens would be less intelligent
3. Aliens exist

It's all conjecture, so Hawkins' caveat is based on nothing more than vagaries.

Thankfully we aren't transmitting in high volumes anymore now that we have more sophisticated equipment.:

What a waste of money, time, and resources.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2010 6:49:16 PM
robot - according to Hawking, even "passive" attempts at breaking c result in time travel. Time and space are too intimately connected.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 12:08:33 AM
Obviously much more intelligent/advanced than we are? There is literally not a shred of evidence to suggest that

3. Aliens exist

Well, aliens either exist or they don't. Without invoking some version of Pascal's wager, I believe we have reason to believe aliens exist. There are roughly, very roughly, probably 100 billion trillion planets in the universe. Without knowing what causes life we cannot guess at whether or not that means there will be unfathomable amounts of civilizations out there or not, but if there are, they have had 14 billion years to evolve past us. Most likely, they would be like us and need a second-generation star (one that has resulted from the past supernovae of previous stars and contains elements higher than helium), which, for large stars, can happen quite rapidly and still give the oldest of them at least a 10 billion year head start on us. So, the question really hinges on what creates life. With 100 billion trillion planets and ten billion years to evolve them all, even the smallest of chances for life would yield startlingly high numbers of civilizations, much of them more advanced than us. And if they are anything like us, we better hope we don't run into them or it will probably be similar to what happened when Christopher Columbus landed in America - genocide. I'm sure they would be more than interested in this little piece of estate we have here.

Thankfully we aren't transmitting in high volumes anymore now that we have more sophisticated equipment.:

You misunderstand me; this is a result of more efficient equipment and not alien avoidance!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 12:18:54 AM
If aliens visited Earth the president of the Unites States would most likely become the ambassador.

I may not like Obama...but come to think if it, he would probably be a pretty good pick for that job.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 12:22:02 AM
At 9/16/2010 12:08:33 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

3. Aliens exist

Well, aliens either exist or they don't. Without invoking some version of Pascal's wager, I believe we have reason to believe aliens exist. There are roughly, very roughly, probably 100 billion trillion planets in the universe. Without knowing what causes life we cannot guess at whether or not that means there will be unfathomable amounts of civilizations out there or not, but if there are, they have had 14 billion years to evolve past us. Most likely, they would be like us and need a second-generation star (one that has resulted from the past supernovae of previous stars and contains elements higher than helium), which, for large stars, can happen quite rapidly and still give the oldest of them at least a 10 billion year head start on us. So, the question really hinges on what creates life. With 100 billion trillion planets and ten billion years to evolve them all, even the smallest of chances for life would yield startlingly high numbers of civilizations, much of them more advanced than us. And if they are anything like us, we better hope we don't run into them or it will probably be similar to what happened when Christopher Columbus landed in America - genocide. I'm sure they would be more than interested in this little piece of estate we have here.

Never thought of it like that before. Maybe we shouldn't give them our food and try and get along.

Or maybe they aren't like us. Damn if they shouw up we're screwed since we have NO way of knowing.

You misunderstand me; this is a result of more efficient equipment and not alien avoidance!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 12:32:07 AM
If Aliens visit Earth with should kill them and steal their sh1t.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 9:38:48 AM
Never thought of it like that before. Maybe we shouldn't give them our food and try and get along.

Or maybe they aren't like us. Damn if they shouw up we're screwed since we have NO way of knowing.

It gets worse... We can assume that if they are that advanced, they have also gone through the phase we are going through now where the planet is raped for resources, and conservative-right wing elements keep pushing for the raping on the insistance that it's "not as bad as we think," "God will continue to provide anyway," or "the scientists are not the ones who are correct." In this case, they are searching out the cosmos, looking for signs of other planets to get their resources from. When they recieve our TV and radio signals, which are expanding out from us currently at the speed of light (and are approaching 100 light-years in distance) they may choose to hone in on those signals and come pay us a visit. Most likely, the only thing saving us is the fact that we are hard to find!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 9:48:25 AM
At 9/16/2010 9:38:48 AM, Rob1Billion wrote:

It gets worse... We can assume that if they are that advanced, they have also gone through the phase we are going through now where the planet is raped for resources, and conservative-right wing elements keep pushing for the raping on the insistance that it's "not as bad as we think," "God will continue to provide anyway," or "the scientists are not the ones who are correct." In this case, they are searching out the cosmos, looking for signs of other planets to get their resources from. When they recieve our TV and radio signals, which are expanding out from us currently at the speed of light (and are approaching 100 light-years in distance) they may choose to hone in on those signals and come pay us a visit. Most likely, the only thing saving us is the fact that we are hard to find!

Thats pretty scary lol. I don't doubt that the conservites will be the end of us tho.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 4:12:09 PM
The problem I see with your theory Rob is that you're assuming intelligent life is like us. I've always thought that aliens are likely to be completely different, maybe not even carbon based. Even if they are technologically advanced, carbon-based creatures, there is also the chance they evolved completely different sorts of societies. Maybe they're peaceful?
Stop being so pessimistic :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2010 9:16:49 PM
At 9/16/2010 4:12:09 PM, tvellalott wrote:
The problem I see with your theory Rob is that you're assuming intelligent life is like us. I've always thought that aliens are likely to be completely different, maybe not even carbon based. Even if they are technologically advanced, carbon-based creatures, there is also the chance they evolved completely different sorts of societies. Maybe they're peaceful?
Stop being so pessimistic :P

Just reasoning... However our only example of intelligent life is us. If you want to create a standard deviation, then humans must be the mean, should we not? So, aliens are either like us, more gentle, or more barbaric. That still leaves a 66% chance that they are either as bad as us or worse, assuming that a society "better than us" is even capable of existing.