Jump to topic:

Intercontinental Relations: A Case Study

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 1:50:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
For the purpose of this, we'll define a "continent" differently. A continent here is defined as a geographical land area where all people have a related culture, language, and ethnicity.
Europe is one continent. The Middle East is another. East Asia is another. Africa, especially the middle and southern part of the continent, is another. And so on.
As it is right now, the European continent has a disproportionately large share of the world's wealth. It also has a small population. The poor continents have a much larger population.
Imagine a system where all people are of one nation. What sort of government would be used? Well, democracy, of course! What happens then? The rich, low population continent of Europe is completely dominated by continents such as East Asia, the Middle East, Africa, etc. In a sense Europe's disproportionate wealth increases its power to the point where it, the minority, is able to have as much power as much larger continents.
Also, the fact that Europe is a separate continent and "nation" and not united with the rest of humanity allows it the minority to not be subjected to a majoritarian system where Europe would have no relevant say in anything (it's kind of like what would happen if Canada joined the United States; its people be totally dominated by the US-born majority according to our democratic system and they'd have no real say in anything).

As much as Syrian refugees need help, the fact is that letting them permanently live in Europe is bypassing the system which allows the minority to maintain total control over itself. Europe is becoming Islamicized while no such exchange of Europeans rapidly growing in number in the Middle East is occurring. The Separate-Minority Bypass (SMB) method is destroyed utterly by excessive immigration from the group which is higher in number.
Another trend is the increasing wealth of East Asia. After all, if those Europeans can be rich, why can't they? Well, a system where the majority reaches the minority's level of wealth bypasses the minority's wealth advantage that grants it greater equality with the majority (thus protecting minority rights).

Ultimately, the best solution to all this is as following: a system where the peoples of all continents are roughly equal in wealth and all continents have a roughly equal population. Let the Middle Easterners be as wealthy and as numerous (but not more numerous) as the Europeans. Same applies to places like Africa.

A system where everyone is about equally rich while population differences in continents is huge and the world abides by a single democratic system is a recipe for trampling the minority underfoot. Let's not let that happen. Thank you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:03:00 AM
Like...what?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:18:22 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:03:00 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Like...what?

I fail to understand the question.

The DDO Blog:

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:24:00 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:18:22 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Like...what?

I don't understand your "proposal" in any sense whatsoever.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:26:02 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:24:00 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Like...what?

See the second last paragraph of the OP.

The DDO Blog:

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:28:47 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:26:02 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/2/2015 2:24:00 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Like...what?

See the second last paragraph of the OP.

I did.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 9:24:31 PM
Yes, isn't it terrible when entire continents get trampled underfoot? Kind of like when European Imperialism trampled all over the Americas, Africa, and Asia in order to amass their current wealth.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 1:10:59 AM
At 10/2/2015 9:24:31 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Yes, isn't it terrible when entire continents get trampled underfoot? Kind of like when European Imperialism trampled all over the Americas, Africa, and Asia in order to amass their current wealth.

Yes, in my suggestion I did in fact state that the peoples of all continents should be equal in wealth. However, it's plain ridiculous to suggest that somebody should be punished for what their ancestor did.

The DDO Blog: