Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Discrimination of Women (Bible)

Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 12:15:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
*If they can, or do manly duties, they are forbidden.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 12:34:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:

It's a code written for a different time. You'll notice that as the 'revelation date' of religions moves into the present women are given more equitable treatment. In the Qu'ran, for example, Eve isn't made from Adam's rib, she isn't tempted by the serpent, and she isn't 'punished' with the responsibility of childbirth. Adam and Ever are treated equitably, and when the religion is but into practice their are less restrictions on women than there are in contemporary Western society.

You can also find more liberal interpretations when it comes to women when you look at many later breakaway sects of Christianity, like the Quakers. That's because these codes were written down or revised in more decadent times, when life wasn't a constant struggle and women weren't the lifeblood of the tribe, something to protect and keep hidden away. As societies urbanize and advance in technology, thus increasing leisure time, the roles of woman in society usually tend to expand. Religion is just a reflection of this, not a cause.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 4:34:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:34:53 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:

It's a code written for a different time. You'll notice that as the 'revelation date' of religions moves into the present women are given more equitable treatment. In the Qu'ran, for example, Eve isn't made from Adam's rib, she isn't tempted by the serpent, and she isn't 'punished' with the responsibility of childbirth. Adam and Ever are treated equitably, and when the religion is but into practice their are less restrictions on women than there are in contemporary Western society.

You can also find more liberal interpretations when it comes to women when you look at many later breakaway sects of Christianity, like the Quakers. That's because these codes were written down or revised in more decadent times, when life wasn't a constant struggle and women weren't the lifeblood of the tribe, something to protect and keep hidden away. As societies urbanize and advance in technology, thus increasing leisure time, the roles of woman in society usually tend to expand. Religion is just a reflection of this, not a cause.

I get what you're saying. But, I'm implying that the Bible has created sexism. That is how society knows about it. If we didn't have the christian bible, sexism wouldn't exist.
Many, *many* churches go by thoose scriptures. I have uncles who EXPECT their wifes to surve them, know why? because I have uncles who are pastors.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 7:03:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:15:06 AM, Lee001 wrote:
*If they can, or do manly duties, they are forbidden.

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making sandwiches, instead of bitchingg about inequality on the Internet?
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 8:01:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
Thoughts?

Good post. I am assuming that you are framing this under the common christian assumption that the earth is roughly 6,000 yrs old and that the Bible is the sole record of human history correct? If so, while I still think this was a good post, I disagree with your fundamental claim that discrimination of women began with the Bible.

As an agnostic, I believe our planet is much older than 6,000 years, and believe that the Bible is only one of many books that reveal the ancient history of our planet. Because of this, I believe discrimination against women began in pre-historic times before written and spoken language was even practiced amongst humans. As soon as the first man realized he was capable of physically dominating the woman the discrimination began. For example, in tribal life women are given the passive roles of gatherers, cooks, and care-takers - due to the fact that the men were the ones more physically fit to hunt and fill protective roles.

Here's the thing: is it discrimination that women were placed into those submissive/passive roles? Or was it merely because of the structural order necessary for survival in those times? Additionally: Are those historical roles still planted deep in our psyche or embedded deep in our society due to that being our way of life for so long? We should keep in mind that we've only lived in such a manner of comfort for a few hundred years and still have places around our world where tribal life is still the norm.

Nowadays in our modern country, women aren't as dependent on men for protection, and men aren't as dependent on women to gather as they are out hunting. Instead, it's working and shopping for food with money earned from working. Different times, different duties. Will the discrimination last? Probably not due to the fact that men and women can mostly get the same things without needing one or the other for specific duties, but as long as the physical differences remain with men being larger and stronger, there'll always be that element of male dominance.

But yes, discrimination existed and was prominent within the Bible. I believe the Bible was written by *man* though, not *God*, and thus would naturally have a bias in favor of the man's role in life. Also, the Bible is outdated, I mean, let's be real for a sec. If you want a good laugh, read some of the rules laid out in Leviticus 19 or Deuteronomy 25, it's seriously funny.

Lastly, I do think there is a difference between how God wanted women treated and how Jesus himself treated women. Jesus was kind, unlike the rules that God seemingly imposed on the role of women in the Old Testament. This is a really solid article that touches on the women teaching point you raised, and it'll answer your inquiry on that matter specifically - http://www.godandscience.org...
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 5:05:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 4:34:43 AM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:34:53 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:

It's a code written for a different time. You'll notice that as the 'revelation date' of religions moves into the present women are given more equitable treatment. In the Qu'ran, for example, Eve isn't made from Adam's rib, she isn't tempted by the serpent, and she isn't 'punished' with the responsibility of childbirth. Adam and Ever are treated equitably, and when the religion is but into practice their are less restrictions on women than there are in contemporary Western society.

You can also find more liberal interpretations when it comes to women when you look at many later breakaway sects of Christianity, like the Quakers. That's because these codes were written down or revised in more decadent times, when life wasn't a constant struggle and women weren't the lifeblood of the tribe, something to protect and keep hidden away. As societies urbanize and advance in technology, thus increasing leisure time, the roles of woman in society usually tend to expand. Religion is just a reflection of this, not a cause.

I get what you're saying. But, I'm implying that the Bible has created sexism. That is how society knows about it. If we didn't have the christian bible, sexism wouldn't exist.

That's just not accurate at all though. Rome, for example, was one of the most misogynistic societies to ever exist. I mean, pater familias, the foundation of any sort of Western patriarchy, was a Roman social construct that predated Christianity by centuries. And I think that, when you look at non-Western branches of Christianity, you see that misogyny is more tempered. Sorghaghtani Beki, arguably the most powerful woman in the history of the world, was a Nestorian Christian in Mongolia. Meanwhile, Irene of Athens was denied power in Byzantium on the basis of her gender. I think that it's much more logical to conclude that Roman culture, the bedrock of much of Western culture, is misogynistic, and that this is reflected in the Roman incarnations of Christianity: Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism, plus the Protestant splinter groups.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Todd0611
Posts: 99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 8:10:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

It depends on your interpretation, and the teaching you have received. The verse from Proverbs I believe was about a warning to men not to cheat on their wives, look at the few verses before, and after to put that single verse into context. Many people, including myself, would look at a single verse, and not understand the context in which it was written. There are churches who pick, and choose certain verses, but you have to have a general understanding of the whole bible. God also said in the Book, that he gave man a helper, the woman who is equal to man, because He knew man could not make it alone in this world.

I've seen many people bring up the verse in Timothy about women being silent, but I learned that the context was Timothy addressing a specific situation in that church. Some of the books in the New testament were letters from Paul for example to specific churches, because the church would write one of the apostles looking for answers. Timothy was addressing the gossiping by women in that church creating problems. Unfortunately, some churches today adhere to the policy that woman aren't supposed to teach; however, if you look in Christian ministry, there is huge success by woman who teach, write literature, and preach. One church I went to had a husband and wife (pastor, and co-pastor), they made a great combination!

Also, another verse some men like to hold over women, is that one in Ephesians about being submissive. This again is taken out of context by many, because it goes on in verse 25 to say Husbands love your wives, as Christ did the church...which basically means the man should in a sense worship his wife because he is so in love with her. These verses were about husbands and wives in marriage, about how their bond (marriage) was to be strong in love and respect for one another. My wife and I have been married for over 15 years, and she and I are a team.

Men are not just sexist because they received bad teachings from preachers who didn't understand the bible, bad parenting has a lot to do with men disrespecting women. I have 3 boys, and one girl, and trust me, my boys know how to treat a girl. The churches I have gone to, and attend now, do not teach any of the things you have shown concerns about. Unfortunately, people get it wrong sometimes, because the Bible is hard to understand. I still get things wrong, but I value my wife as my partner, helper, counselor, and equal, because that's what I have learned from reading, listening, and thankfully my parents were a good example for us.
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:02:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

Define sexism.

Yes the bible does do this to a degree. However I don't think it's the cause of all sexism.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 9:28:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:34:53 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:

It's a code written for a different time. You'll notice that as the 'revelation date' of religions moves into the present women are given more equitable treatment. In the Qu'ran, for example, Eve isn't made from Adam's rib, she isn't tempted by the serpent, and she isn't 'punished' with the responsibility of childbirth. Adam and Ever are treated equitably, and when the religion is but into practice their are less restrictions on women than there are in contemporary Western society.

I don't mean to be a grammar nazi... (I totally do) ... but I cannot believe you just did that... O.o

You can also find more liberal interpretations when it comes to women when you look at many later breakaway sects of Christianity, like the Quakers. That's because these codes were written down or revised in more decadent times, when life wasn't a constant struggle and women weren't the lifeblood of the tribe, something to protect and keep hidden away. As societies urbanize and advance in technology, thus increasing leisure time, the roles of woman in society usually tend to expand. Religion is just a reflection of this, not a cause.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2015 11:01:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Somebody remind me to get back to this later.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Rubikx
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 1:19:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

ahh yes, cause there was no sexism at all anywhere and then bam the bible just made it up and everyone was like ya sure I like this idea.

Ever heard of Deborah, judge, military leader and prophet. there are about a dozen others I could list who where deacons, preachers, prophets, or had some other religious authority in the bible.
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 3:59:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 9:02:44 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

Define sexism.

Yes the bible does do this to a degree. However I don't think it's the cause of all sexism.

I thought by providing bible scriptures of sexism would define it, haha.

Sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex. (https://www.google.com...)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:01:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 1:19:13 AM, Rubikx wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

ahh yes, cause there was no sexism at all anywhere and then bam the bible just made it up and everyone was like ya sure I like this idea.

Ever heard of Deborah, judge, military leader and prophet. there are about a dozen others I could list who where deacons, preachers, prophets, or had some other religious authority in the bible.

Yeah, you aren't really taking in what I said. I'm saying that the bible is where sexism began. The jokes about women staying in the kitchen to make their husband a sandwich all came from the bible. Without the bible, there wouldn't be sexism.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:10:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/6/2015 11:01:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Somebody remind me to get back to this later.

.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:41:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Thank you, 1harder.

The Bible's view of human gender differences and roles is as follows:
Men: Leader of the family (that is, whenever they are the husband and father). The Bible's original audience was a society wherever most of the heavy labor (and make no mistake: most men in this time period lived by means of heavy labor) was performed by men. While women were quite restricted in freedoms in this culture, one could hardly call that day's male gender roles preferable. It was a hard time for both genders to live.
Women: Under the leadership and care of her husband, served as the child-rearer.
Let's be fair: in this time period, despite everything, it was much easier for women to serve as child-rearers than laborers, though I'm sure that at times they would help their husbands with the labor. Also, what satisfaction would a woman in this time period get from laboring for a whole year just to see a good harvest? Some, sure, but it would've been more satisfying for her to raise up her children and watch them become adults.
Men, on the other hand, being more strongly built, were more suited for this kind of work. Because of differing male and female neurology, a man's psychological well-being is centered more in his pride. He wants to have a fairly high social status, he wants to be able to think highly of himself, and he wants for his wife and children to look up to him and respect him as the family's provider (he also wouldn't mind some sex every now and then). As for women, I don't really know, but traditionally probably most women have been happy in the role of mother and wife (provided that their husband wasn't horrible) so the role of wife and mother is probably something that works towards meeting the psychological needs of women, especially those who do not have the different mindset of today's liberated women.
You may state that the traditional female role robs them largely of the pride and respect aspect. Maybe so. But there's something that men don't get performing the male role that most women do. They both have something that the other gender doesn't, and to assume that the male role is inherently superior (though I must admit, as a male I'm naturally inclined to see it as better) is gendercentric thinking.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:42:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 4:01:13 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 1:19:13 AM, Rubikx wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

ahh yes, cause there was no sexism at all anywhere and then bam the bible just made it up and everyone was like ya sure I like this idea.

Ever heard of Deborah, judge, military leader and prophet. there are about a dozen others I could list who where deacons, preachers, prophets, or had some other religious authority in the bible.

Yeah, you aren't really taking in what I said. I'm saying that the bible is where sexism began. The jokes about women staying in the kitchen to make their husband a sandwich all came from the bible. Without the bible, there wouldn't be sexism.

Sexism has existed as long as gender differences have existed. No institution or religion can be credited with starting it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:52:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 4:42:52 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/7/2015 4:01:13 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 1:19:13 AM, Rubikx wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

ahh yes, cause there was no sexism at all anywhere and then bam the bible just made it up and everyone was like ya sure I like this idea.

Ever heard of Deborah, judge, military leader and prophet. there are about a dozen others I could list who where deacons, preachers, prophets, or had some other religious authority in the bible.

Yeah, you aren't really taking in what I said. I'm saying that the bible is where sexism began. The jokes about women staying in the kitchen to make their husband a sandwich all came from the bible. Without the bible, there wouldn't be sexism.

Sexism has existed as long as gender differences have existed. No institution or religion can be credited with starting it.

But if one believes in God, they can believe that the Bible started it. Like the scriptures I had stated above.

"But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve"

*Especially* for Christians, this is what makes the men sexist. They go by this verse, believing that god created Adam first, they believe women are at the lower rand and should do whatever a man says because of that verse.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:54:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 4:41:08 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Thank you, 1harder.

The Bible's view of human gender differences and roles is as follows:
Men: Leader of the family (that is, whenever they are the husband and father). The Bible's original audience was a society wherever most of the heavy labor (and make no mistake: most men in this time period lived by means of heavy labor) was performed by men. While women were quite restricted in freedoms in this culture, one could hardly call that day's male gender roles preferable. It was a hard time for both genders to live.
Women: Under the leadership and care of her husband, served as the child-rearer.
Let's be fair: in this time period, despite everything, it was much easier for women to serve as child-rearers than laborers, though I'm sure that at times they would help their husbands with the labor. Also, what satisfaction would a woman in this time period get from laboring for a whole year just to see a good harvest? Some, sure, but it would've been more satisfying for her to raise up her children and watch them become adults.
Men, on the other hand, being more strongly built, were more suited for this kind of work. Because of differing male and female neurology, a man's psychological well-being is centered more in his pride. He wants to have a fairly high social status, he wants to be able to think highly of himself, and he wants for his wife and children to look up to him and respect him as the family's provider (he also wouldn't mind some sex every now and then). As for women, I don't really know, but traditionally probably most women have been happy in the role of mother and wife (provided that their husband wasn't horrible) so the role of wife and mother is probably something that works towards meeting the psychological needs of women, especially those who do not have the different mindset of today's liberated women.
You may state that the traditional female role robs them largely of the pride and respect aspect. Maybe so. But there's something that men don't get performing the male role that most women do. They both have something that the other gender doesn't, and to assume that the male role is inherently superior (though I must admit, as a male I'm naturally inclined to see it as better) is gendercentric thinking.

Let's make this a bit more personal:
Lee01, let's say that you spent your whole life working at an office. You manage to achieve several promotions so that you were fairly high up the corporate ladder by the time you were 40. Perhaps you had become the manager of a local establishment of the company which you had worked for. Let's say that you never had any children, or if you did you rarely saw them.
Let's say that all of your friends were men. They were not sexist towards you at any point and they treated you like one of them. All you ever talked with them about was the business, football, how cool X new military hardware is, how awesome X new model of sports car is, etc.
Now let's say that you're 65. You look back on this life that you lived. Did you live it wisely?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 4:58:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Basically whenever feminists talk about the glass ceiling, sexism, and stuff like that they're pretty much saying "I want to be male". Am I wrong?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 5:36:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 4:54:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/7/2015 4:41:08 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Thank you, 1harder.

The Bible's view of human gender differences and roles is as follows:
Men: Leader of the family (that is, whenever they are the husband and father). The Bible's original audience was a society wherever most of the heavy labor (and make no mistake: most men in this time period lived by means of heavy labor) was performed by men. While women were quite restricted in freedoms in this culture, one could hardly call that day's male gender roles preferable. It was a hard time for both genders to live.
Women: Under the leadership and care of her husband, served as the child-rearer.
Let's be fair: in this time period, despite everything, it was much easier for women to serve as child-rearers than laborers, though I'm sure that at times they would help their husbands with the labor. Also, what satisfaction would a woman in this time period get from laboring for a whole year just to see a good harvest? Some, sure, but it would've been more satisfying for her to raise up her children and watch them become adults.
Men, on the other hand, being more strongly built, were more suited for this kind of work. Because of differing male and female neurology, a man's psychological well-being is centered more in his pride. He wants to have a fairly high social status, he wants to be able to think highly of himself, and he wants for his wife and children to look up to him and respect him as the family's provider (he also wouldn't mind some sex every now and then). As for women, I don't really know, but traditionally probably most women have been happy in the role of mother and wife (provided that their husband wasn't horrible) so the role of wife and mother is probably something that works towards meeting the psychological needs of women, especially those who do not have the different mindset of today's liberated women.
You may state that the traditional female role robs them largely of the pride and respect aspect. Maybe so. But there's something that men don't get performing the male role that most women do. They both have something that the other gender doesn't, and to assume that the male role is inherently superior (though I must admit, as a male I'm naturally inclined to see it as better) is gendercentric thinking.

Let's make this a bit more personal:
Lee01, let's say that you spent your whole life working at an office. You manage to achieve several promotions so that you were fairly high up the corporate ladder by the time you were 40. Perhaps you had become the manager of a local establishment of the company which you had worked for. Let's say that you never had any children, or if you did you rarely saw them.
Let's say that all of your friends were men. They were not sexist towards you at any point and they treated you like one of them. All you ever talked with them about was the business, football, how cool X new military hardware is, how awesome X new model of sports car is, etc.
Now let's say that you're 65. You look back on this life that you lived. Did you live it wisely?

I would say yes. But the only reason why is because I would be one of few women who have accomplished that much and made it that far, because few women do. And if they do, they have to fight their way. But, I don't get how that relates to me what-so-ever because your scenario isn't something that interest me, nor does it mean much to me.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 5:37:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 4:58:06 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Basically whenever feminists talk about the glass ceiling, sexism, and stuff like that they're pretty much saying "I want to be male". Am I wrong?

Lol, no. I mean, allot of lesbians might want that. I'm more of the type of women who doesn't like to listen to men, and likes to prove everyone wrong. Not in the sense that I think everyone is wrong, but more in the sense that I'm a women and I can achieve what a *man* thinks I cant.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 3:59:02 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/6/2015 9:02:44 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/6/2015 12:10:58 AM, Lee001 wrote:
If we look around, discrimination is everywhere. But it all had to start somewhere right? Can you guess where the discrimination of women began......? That's right, in the bible. The bible has various scriptures secluding women in various activities and such.

Even men who are atheist, agnostic or whatever *till this day* believe women should stay in the household, they should not be the bread winner and they shouldn't preach. This conception is simply molded from the bible .

The bible is the reason why sexism exist. The bible simply doesn't believe women should be at the upper food chain.

Examples:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. (Bible, Ephesians 5:22-24)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God"s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

These bible versus are the definition of discrimination.

The following scripture indicates that women are made for sex, bearing children and that's it. It also implies women dragging men, who are *pure and clean* to hell.

Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng. Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. (Bible, Proverbs 7:26-27)

What also annoys me is the fact women aren't able to preach.

""But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet, 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve," (1 Tim. 2:12-13)."

This is utterly stupid. Because he made man first, the man is the ruler, when in fact, the women is one who bears a child, so Eve should have came first.

Is God trying to tell us, that if a women is a preacher at a church (and they are teaching the right doctrine) then everyone is going to hell because she's a women leader?

I use to dislike men who were sexist. But I realized its simply not their fault, but the bible who has corrupted man mind to make them think women are powerless and are unable to do the duties of a man, and if they can or to, they are forbidden.

Thoughts?

Define sexism.

Yes the bible does do this to a degree. However I don't think it's the cause of all sexism.

I thought by providing bible scriptures of sexism would define it, haha.
Sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex. (https://www.google.com...)

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 7:28:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.

Are you suggesting that the bible is the sole source of sexism?
If we got rid of the bible, there would be no sexism?
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 7:29:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 7:28:35 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.

Are you suggesting that the bible is the sole source of sexism?
If we got rid of the bible, there would be no sexism?

Yes, I'm saying its the source. But you can't get rid of the bible know, its engraved in peoples minds. If they bible were *never* written, sexism wouldn't exist. We would all be equal.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Todd0611
Posts: 99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 8:34:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 7:29:44 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:28:35 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.

Are you suggesting that the bible is the sole source of sexism?
If we got rid of the bible, there would be no sexism?

Yes, I'm saying its the source. But you can't get rid of the bible know, its engraved in peoples minds. If they bible were *never* written, sexism wouldn't exist. We would all be equal.

I thought I did a decent job of explaining the context of verses (in the bible) in my reply, and seriously, if the Bible didn't exist there would still be sexism. There is probably a large majority of the population who does not read the bible. Parenting goes along way in teaching kids how to treat people, just like racism is taught, sexism is as well. In addition, there are so, so many other topics in the bible, that if it was truly engraved in people's minds, sexism wouldn't be the prevailing result/attitude of reading and learning the bible. Society, and media play an overwhelming role in how men are taught to treat women. Fortunately for me, I had good parents (who have been married almost 50 years), whose example I learned to follow (as I am going on almost 16 years of marriage).

I have not read the Koran, and do not claim to know a lot about Middle Eastern culture, but from news articles I've read, it appears that sexism is way more prevalent in that portion of the world.
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 8:34:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 7:29:44 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:28:35 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.

Are you suggesting that the bible is the sole source of sexism?
If we got rid of the bible, there would be no sexism?

Yes, I'm saying its the source. But you can't get rid of the bible know, its engraved in peoples minds. If they bible were *never* written, sexism wouldn't exist. We would all be equal.

Can't help but think that there was sexism before the bible was written also.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2015 9:00:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/7/2015 8:34:53 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:29:44 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:28:35 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:25:14 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 10/7/2015 7:23:30 PM, Kozu wrote:

I think the inherent differences between males and females sometimes become over generalized, which is what causes the sexism, but I think acknowledging the differences is also important. Maybe you could try reading another book.

That's not what I'm implying by the topic...
I'm saying, that the reason why sexism exist is because the bible encourages it. It gives me then excuse to be sexist.

Are you suggesting that the bible is the sole source of sexism?
If we got rid of the bible, there would be no sexism?

Yes, I'm saying its the source. But you can't get rid of the bible know, its engraved in peoples minds. If they bible were *never* written, sexism wouldn't exist. We would all be equal.

Can't help but think that there was sexism before the bible was written also.

No way. Men and women were treating each other fairly until one day this shepherd with the Ten Commandments approached people and one of the commandments was "Thou shalt treat women like dirt." Everyone was reluctant to do so but they believed in the God that this shepherd advocated and so slavery was invented.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid