Jump to topic:

Race and Sexual Attraction

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:01:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
My inspiration for this thread is a bit odd, so please bear with me.

So, I read a post by someone espousing "White Nationalism" in this thread [http://www.debate.org...] who writes, in part: "54% of all white women perfer dating their own kind and 36% for all white males according to ok cupids blog analysis. YOU ARENT ALONE IN PERFERING YOUR RACE. most white people perfer their own kind not only in relationships but in friendships. You are not alone."

Obviously, I disavow the notion that other races are in anyway inferior to my own, and there is literally zero merit in the claim that whites are somehow special or better than any other race. But, the excerpt I quoted does raise a couple of questions for me, namely these:

1. Why are there (often strong) racial preferences people have when selecting a sexual partner?

2. Are these preferences cultural, genetic, or some combination thereof?

3. Are these preferences indicative of subconcious racial biases, or are they just natural preferences like any other sexual kink?

4. What are your preferences, if any?

===========================

To answer the last question I posed, I am white, and generally prefer white guys. There are some notable exceptions: I can find Indian men with lighter/mid-range chocolate skin extremely attractive and I can find some Latinos very attractive. That being said, I have only ever been attracted two 2 black men, one of which had multiracial origins and the other having a paler complexion (namely, TJ Holmes...you can look him up). I have also only ever found 1 Asian guy attractive, and only mildly so. So, it does seem like I have a very strong bias in favor Caucasoid features, which are shared by Indians, Whites, Hispanics, and Middle Easterners.

So, please offer your thoughts on the OP. Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:05:55 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:01:02 AM, bsh1 wrote:

So, I read a post by someone espousing "White Nationalism" in this thread [http://www.debate.org...] who writes, in part: "54% of all white women perfer dating their own kind and 36% for all white males according to ok cupids blog analysis. YOU ARENT ALONE IN PERFERING YOUR RACE. most white people perfer their own kind not only in relationships but in friendships. You are not alone."

Obviously, I disavow the notion that other races are in anyway inferior to my own, and there is literally zero merit in the claim that whites are somehow special or better than any other race. But, the excerpt I quoted does raise a couple of questions for me, namely these:

1. Why are there (often strong) racial preferences people have when selecting a sexual partner?

3. Are these preferences indicative of subconcious racial biases, or are they just natural preferences like any other sexual kink?

To answer the last question I posed, I am white, and generally prefer white guys. There are some notable exceptions: I can find Indian men with lighter/mid-range chocolate skin extremely attractive and I can find some Latinos very attractive. That being said, I have only ever been attracted two 2 black men, one of which had multiracial origins and the other having a paler complexion (namely, TJ Holmes...you can look him up). I have also only ever found 1 Asian guy attractive, and only mildly so. So, it does seem like I have a very strong bias in favor Caucasoid features, which are shared by Indians, Whites, Hispanics, and Middle Easterners.

I can't get over the typo preferring, looks like perforating....
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:08:16 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:05:55 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Lol...Seriously, though...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:08:53 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:08:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Well seriously, this argument DID lose in your epic debate...

Clearly I have powers that Bsh does not. Imagine the array of carnal pleasures I can provide to my husband with using my mystical powers. Bsh on the other hand is just your ordinary guy, and a white one at that. I may be a heterosexual, but with my mystical powers I can satisfy my partner much more than Bsh could.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:11:16 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:08:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Clearly I have powers that Bsh does not. Imagine the array of carnal pleasures I can provide to my husband with using my mystical powers. Bsh on the other hand is just your ordinary guy, and a white one at that. I may be a heterosexual, but with my mystical powers I can satisfy my partner much more than Bsh could.

Lol...I agree. I still think I won overall though.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:17:15 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:11:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2015 12:08:53 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Lol...I agree. I still think I won overall though.

Honestly, it's way more of a cultural thing than a racial thing. Mulattoes were (are) common in New Orleans mainly because there is so much cultural assimilation caused by close ratios and a sense of a joint mixed community. (65% black 35% white)

You are going to want to have a relationship with someone (pardon) that you can relate to....
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:20:22 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:17:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Honestly, it's way more of a cultural thing than a racial thing. Mulattoes were (are) common in New Orleans mainly because there is so much cultural assimilation caused by close ratios and a sense of a joint mixed community. (65% black 35% white)

You are going to want to have a relationship with someone (pardon) that you can relate to....

I guess. But I am not sure that explains my thing for some Indian guys, for instance. I barely interacted with any Indian people until I was a freshman in high school...and, they were a minority in my classes, yet 3 out of my 7 closest friends are racially Indian and I find some Indian guys drop-dead gorgeous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:21:27 AM
I think what we're attracted to is cultural and fluid. I also think preferring your own race is subconscious racism. For instance, I preferred latina women for a long time, but I also greelw up in Miami. Of course it's okay to have preferences, but they need to be challenged and questioned. I've been doing that my whole life and I've opened myself up to finding all sorts of people attractive. I even have opened myself upbto finding guys attractive; it's not a preference but I think anyone can make those switches if they want to. There's beauty in almost everyone; it's just a matter of attuning yourself to that. The race one actually really bothers me. I hate when girls I like tell me something like "I only date brown dudes" or some sh!t like that. It's racism justified by this idea that you don't control who you're attracted to. And I strongly question that position, at least to the extent it limits you from being with someone awesome who isn't normally shallow like that.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:22:38 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:20:22 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess. But I am not sure that explains my thing for some Indian guys, for instance. I barely interacted with any Indian people until I was a freshman in high school...and, they were a minority in my classes, yet 3 out of my 7 closest friends are racially Indian and I find some Indian guys drop-dead gorgeous.

Well really, who doesn't like Indians?

RIP RoyalPaladin :(
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:23:19 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:22:38 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/8/2015 12:20:22 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Well really, who doesn't like Indians?

Lol.

RIP RoyalPaladin :(

Just to point out: I have a thing for *male* Indians.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:28:31 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:21:27 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I think what we're attracted to is cultural and fluid.

I think it is fluid to a degree. I think there are some preferences that I have that are not going to change, even if I attempted to change them.

Of course it's okay to have preferences, but they need to be challenged and questioned. I've been doing that my whole life and I've opened myself up to finding all sorts of people attractive. I even have opened myself upbto finding guys attractive; it's not a preference but I think anyone can make those switches if they want to.

This bothers me a lot, because it seems to legitimize the "Gay Conversion Therapy" mindset, that being gay is a choice because you can choose to be not-gay. That is false.

There's beauty in almost everyone; it's just a matter of attuning yourself to that.

Poetic, and I agree to an extent, but no matter how much I attune myself to some people's beauty, I am not going to get past certain features to find them sexually attractive.

The race one actually really bothers me. I hate when girls I like tell me something like "I only date brown dudes" or some sh!t like that. It's racism justified by this idea that you don't control who you're attracted to. And I strongly question that position, at least to the extent it limits you from being with someone awesome who isn't normally shallow like that.

So I am a shallow racist for not being turned on by black men?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:39:20 AM
I strongly prefer white guys. I'm ok with latino guys, but I strongly prefer white guys. I have hooked up with Asian guys too... but it's very uncommon. There is really no other race I could hook up with.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:41:44 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:39:20 AM, YYW wrote:
I strongly prefer white guys. I'm ok with latino guys, but I strongly prefer white guys. I have hooked up with Asian guys too... but it's very uncommon. There is really no other race I could hook up with.

What do you think about questions 1-3?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:46:14 AM

Most of us grew up in racially segregated environments, and we have a customary attraction (as a rule; there are exceptions) to those who look like the people we are used to.

However, the other thing is that we like people who look like us... race is a huge factor there.

Combination.

Both. Some people have race fetishes though. Yellow fever, for example, is a thing.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:46:37 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:28:31 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I think it is fluid to a degree. I think there are some preferences that I have that are not going to change, even if I attempted to change them.

Of course it's okay to have preferences, but they need to be challenged and questioned. I've been doing that my whole life and I've opened myself up to finding all sorts of people attractive. I even have opened myself upbto finding guys attractive; it's not a preference but I think anyone can make those switches if they want to.

This bothers me a lot, because it seems to legitimize the "Gay Conversion Therapy" mindset, that being gay is a choice because you can choose to be not-gay. That is false.

There's a difference between shutting down attraction and opening it up. But also, there's a big difference between gender and race. The former is tied to our sexual identity in ways that race isn't and shouldn't be.

There's beauty in almost everyone; it's just a matter of attuning yourself to that.

Poetic, and I agree to an extent, but no matter how much I attune myself to some people's beauty, I am not going to get past certain features to find them sexually attractive.

I think if its objectively ugly that's fine. Say a deformity. Or of its something someone can control like obesity or flaky skin. But race just isn't one of those things.

The race one actually really bothers me. I hate when girls I like tell me something like "I only date brown dudes" or some sh!t like that. It's racism justified by this idea that you don't control who you're attracted to. And I strongly question that position, at least to the extent it limits you from being with someone awesome who isn't normally shallow like that.

Depends. I think acknowledging that you have subconscious racist preferences and questioning those preferences means you're not a racist. Also, the fact that you've been attracted to black men means there's hope for you to find more black men attractive.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:53:13 AM

Cultural/social influences/pressures most of time, IMO. Taking my community for instance, there's a reason why "white features" are so highly desired - and it has nothing to do with 'white features" being inherently more attractive.

Maybe genetics has something to do with it but I think, by and large, it's cultural.

I think far more of the former than of the latter.

I find all women of all colors attractive.

I'd be just as fine with Kerry Washington, Freida Pinto, Namie Amuro, Eva Longoria, or Scarlett Johansson.

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:55:20 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:46:37 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 10/8/2015 12:28:31 AM, bsh1 wrote:

There's a difference between shutting down attraction and opening it up. But also, there's a big difference between gender and race. The former is tied to our sexual identity in ways that race isn't and shouldn't be.

I think you overestimate some people's ability to be flexible in their likes and dislikes. I could try to like black guys, but I almost guarantee that I will dislike 90% of them for the rest of my life no matter how hard I tried. I think some people are simply more open and more experimental, and others are naturally less so.

I think if its objectively ugly that's fine. Say a deformity. Or of its something someone can control like obesity or flaky skin. But race just isn't one of those things.

"Objectively Ugly." I don't think there is such a thing. What I find ugly, someone else may find hot. It is all a point of view issue. Moreover, why should I be attracted to someone based only on traits they can control?

Depends. I think acknowledging that you have subconscious racist preferences and questioning those preferences means you're not a racist. Also, the fact that you've been attracted to black men means there's hope for you to find more black men attractive.

I think it has primarily to do with skin tone and facial structure. Of the two black guys I've been attracted to, one was 30% white (Brazilian mulatto heritage) and so had tan-ish skin, soft hair, and features that, while Negroid (I use this in a technical way, as with forensic anthropology [https://en.wikipedia.org...]) were far less pronounced. Holmes also has pretty pale features [http://www.eurweb.com...]. I definitely have never been attracted to any person of African descent with skin darker than his.

I also disagree that it is subconcious racial profiling or discrimination. I don't see why it's different than any other bedroom preference I might have.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:01:12 AM
I don't put much thought into who I'm attracted to.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:01:32 AM
At 10/8/2015 12:53:13 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Cultural/social influences/pressures most of time, IMO. Taking my community for instance, there's a reason why "white features" are so highly desired - and it has nothing to do with 'white features" being inherently more attractive.

Okay, so I agree no race has features that are "inherently more attractive." But, let me put it like this: I have various preferences regarding what I like in a guy. An ideal man for me would be essentially what is in my profile picture right now. There are certain features I just really like in him...And we can skip past the obvious (abs, biceps, etc) and look at 2 specific things: the freckles/moles (idk what you call them) on his body and the specific amount of body hair he has. These aren't things people in my community really talk about, and I can't really think of reasons why I like them...I just do, and I find them very hot. Why can't race just be one of those things that I like just because I like it?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:18:13 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:01:12 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Have you been attracted to one race or ethnic group more than others?

I always though I just liked white guys...until I saw this one Indian guy...and it was so shocking to me that I was into him. I honestly couldn't believe it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:19:06 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:01:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Okay, so I agree no race has features that are "inherently more attractive." But, let me put it like this: I have various preferences regarding what I like in a guy. An ideal man for me would be essentially what is in my profile picture right now. There are certain features I just really like in him...And we can skip past the obvious (abs, biceps, etc) and look at 2 specific things: the freckles/moles (idk what you call them) on his body and the specific amount of body hair he has. These aren't things people in my community really talk about, and I can't really think of reasons why I like them...I just do, and I find them very hot. Why can't race just be one of those things that I like just because I like it?

I don't know you well enough, but it doesn't seem like there's anything obviously problematic here.

I was speaking more about things in my community (black people). There's a unfortunate tendency to value "white features" over other types of features. Straight hair, lighter eyes, lighter skin, etc. It's not a coincidence that these types of features conform with the "normalized" standard of beauty of American society at large (especially when that standard of beauty is explicitly put in contrast with "non-white" features being less than ideal - afro hair, dark skin, etc etc.).
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:20:28 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:18:13 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Sure - but that's just as attributable to exposure (ex: living where I do now - where 95% of people are white, vs. living in New York City) as racial biases.

I always though I just liked white guys...until I saw this one Indian guy...and it was so shocking to me that I was into him. I honestly couldn't believe it.

Well then.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:23:54 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:20:28 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Sure - but that's just as attributable to exposure (ex: living where I do now - where 95% of people are white, vs. living in New York City) as racial biases.

Try and think about it proportionally. Do you like a greater proportion of white guys to men of other races? If you googled hot white guys and hot black guys, for example, would you prefer one group more than another on balance?

Well then.

Yeah. It sounds silly now, but it really challenged a lot of my ideas about myself and my sexual preferences.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:27:35 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:23:54 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Try and think about it proportionally. Do you like a greater proportion of white guys to men of other races? If you googled hot white guys and hot black guys, for example, would you prefer one group more than another on balance?

Eh. It's still hard to say. I've been attracted to black people before, but not as often as white people. This is still hard to see in terms of proportion due to the advantage whites have in the number of them that I've been exposed to, vs. other races.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:30:42 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:27:35 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 10/8/2015 1:23:54 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Eh. It's still hard to say. I've been attracted to black people before, but not as often as white people. This is still hard to see in terms of proportion due to the advantage whites have in the number of them that I've been exposed to, vs. other races.

Do the google experiment. Look at the first 30 guys on each page, and tell me how many you liked out of each group. It'll be unscientific, but interesting nonetheless.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:37:40 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:30:42 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Do the google experiment. Look at the first 30 guys on each page, and tell me how many you liked out of each group. It'll be unscientific, but interesting nonetheless.

Hot white guys got 15 of 30.

Hot black guys got 13 of 30.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:47:15 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:19:06 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/8/2015 1:01:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't know you well enough, but it doesn't seem like there's anything obviously problematic here.

Not that I have a problem with there being no problem, but why isn't there a problem?

I was speaking more about things in my community (black people). There's a unfortunate tendency to value "white features" over other types of features. Straight hair, lighter eyes, lighter skin, etc. It's not a coincidence that these types of features conform with the "normalized" standard of beauty of American society at large (especially when that standard of beauty is explicitly put in contrast with "non-white" features being less than ideal - afro hair, dark skin, etc etc.).

I get that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:50:36 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:37:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

My results:

White Guys: 14/15
Black Guys: 0/15
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 1:59:31 AM
At 10/8/2015 1:50:36 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2015 1:37:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

My results:

White Guys: 14/15
Black Guys: 0/15

Well then.

Arabs: 14/30
Indians: 14/30
Asians: 14/30

-Syd Barrett