Jump to topic:

cults: your opinion

cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 3:14:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
For a project i am looking into peoples opinions and thoughts on cults, i would really appreciate it if you could fill out some questions that have surrounding your opinions (I have included some idea prompters if you get stuck);

1) Please give your own definition of what a cult is
- Are they safe places?
-Do they have hierarchies?
- What are some activities they may participate in?

2) What are some of your general thoughts on cults?
- What have you heard in the media?
-Are they easy to join?
-Would you join one?

3) What do you think is the reason that many people join cults?
-Are they weak or easily lead?
-Are they being lead by a promise? Like gaining support, help, friends, fame etc.

4) what about start them?
-Are they strong people?
-HAve they had some sort of bad life experience?

5) have had any first or second hand experiences with cults?
- Have you heard about cults from the media?
- WHat about family or friends?

6) Do you have any strong religious or political views/beliefs?
- This is an optional question

7) Please describe what you think/imagine a typical "cult member" and "cult leader" look like
- Where do they live?
-Race?

- Generally describe what you think they look like

Thanks in advance for answering, please keep answers as long or short as you like, answer all questions honestly and dont feel limited to the prompts, they are just ideas of points you can use in your answer

-Cathy
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 6:08:53 PM
Please respond if you can, this is a very important part of my coursework, as it counts as primary research
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:12:50 PM
At 10/11/2015 3:14:37 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:
For a project i am looking into peoples opinions and thoughts on cults, i would really appreciate it if you could fill out some questions that have surrounding your opinions (I have included some idea prompters if you get stuck);

A cult is a faith based group.
- Are they safe places?
Usually yes for group members.
Most faith based cults have a leader or at least a dead prophet or god that guides them.
Any number of faith based rituals from flower sniffing to blood drinking.
It satisfies a basic need for companionship and purpose in life for people who can't satisfy those needs through traditional means.
Usually abusive or dangerous cults are the ones in the media.
-Are they easy to join?
Most have ritualistic joining procedures.
-Would you join one?
No, I am an agnostic.
It satisfies a basic need for companionship and purpose in life. It satisfies the herd instinct.
A person still has to choose to believe in a cult's faith, but once that decision is made, yes it is rather easy to influence members.
-Are they being lead by a promise? Like gaining support, help, friends, fame etc.
It satisfies a basic need for companionship and purpose in life.

Reword this.
-Are they strong people?
N/A
N/A

Sure.
Sure.
Sure.

No.

7) Please describe what you think/imagine a typical "cult member" and "cult leader" look like
Happy, smiling, and wide eyed.
- Where do they live?
Anywhere
-Race?
Any race

Happy, smiling, and wide eyed.

Thanks in advance for answering, please keep answers as long or short as you like, answer all questions honestly and dont feel limited to the prompts, they are just ideas of points you can use in your answer

-Cathy
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:31:55 PM
Reword this.

I ment would do you think would convince somebody to start a cult? thank alot for answering!
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:33:04 PM
My grandson used to be the leader of a cult and he stopped coming to church which was very heartbreaking for our Christian family. Thankfully the priest in our local church helped him go back into the right track and now he is the loving gradson he used to be. Why did he want to make a cult you may wonder my sweetie. Well.. here is the answer.. It is all because of the manipulative media! THEY BRAINWASH YOUR CHILDRENS BRAIN! All we can do is pray that people will repent but as I was saying he wanted to make a cult because he wanted to gecome greater and more powerful than other people, he was tired of the fact that everyone is treated the same way. Well to be honest I don't know where he got that idea from as I always felt that people without money don't have the power in this world.. anyway my advice is to stay out of cults and if you are really want to connect with God choose one of the safe ways to do it, you have a wide choice: Buddha, Allah, Jesus Christ and many others, I think we all belive in the same God so you can choose whichever you like and I will still be your friend.
Now my opinion on cults.. I think that the reason why people join cults is because they are like innocent puppies who veered from the right path and got caught by the ruthless wolf. But what is the story behind the story behind the wolf you may ask.. well he once was a cute little puppy too but what happened then? Well he noticed that the other puppies greater than him get many more benefits so he got rid of the justice and decided to become greater and greater and this is like an endless circle, it may seem like i'm writing a novel but oh well I think everyone should interpret this in their own way. Finally, my life advice to you yound children would be not to become a victim of your own greed.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:39:25 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:31:55 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:
Reword this.

I ment would do you think would convince somebody to start a cult? thank alot for answering!

Some cults were started by manic people suffering from hallucinations. Others of a more sane mind may have had a spiritual experience so strong they felt compelled to proselytize. Yet others may start a cult for money or power as they ask members to slowly give up their worldly possessions.
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:42:36 PM
Hi this is the grandson, my grandma told me to write my opinion so here it goes.

I think cults are like a black holes because they hipnotyze you so you dont eve notice when you fall into that hole. Also its really dark in there so its true colours and so this is the reason people join cults, but just like in physics there are many experiments to see whats exactly in there but we are more lucky as there are people who found a way to get out of this hole, because of that we know how cults work so we can offer the ex cult members help so they can come back to their normal lives.
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:45:27 PM
Hi I'm SOMEONE else replying to this but I would like to stay annonymous.
I think that cults are really dengerous that even smart people can fall into that trap. It is amazing how manipulative cult leaders can be. So stay away from that sh!t people.
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:47:38 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:34:47 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:
Thank you alot for answering and sharing your story

You are very welcome sweetie, Cathy is such a lovely name.. my hamster used to be called Cathy, oh memories memories
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:48:54 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:43:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Also, all religions are cults.

http://www.debate.org...

I never really thought of it that way, but guess that is the case!
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:53:32 PM

well that depends what is a cult to you
it is like you would say that it doesnt metter whether it is water from the ocean tastes the same as the water from the puddle, but you cant swim in a puddle, you cant travel long distances from one side of puddle to the other, but all oceans are connected to each others all rivers take sources from the oceans
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:53:48 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:48:54 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:

I never really thought of it that way, but guess that is the case!

Most believe the difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of members, although both meet the same criteria. A leadership hierarchy, and rituals of companionship that satisfy the herd instinct, and give a purpose to exist in that herd.

Even Scientology has a leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 8:55:59 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:53:32 PM, YourGranny69 wrote:

it is like you would say that it doesnt metter whether it is water from the ocean tastes the same as the water from the puddle, but you cant swim in a puddle, you cant travel long distances from one side of puddle to the other, but all oceans are connected to each others all rivers take sources from the oceans

I'm really looking for just your opinion, and please answer all of the questions if you can.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 9:03:20 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:55:59 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:
At 10/11/2015 8:53:32 PM, YourGranny69 wrote:

I'm really looking for just your opinion, and please answer all of the questions if you can.

Did I answer everything you needed for your project?
YourGranny69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 9:05:44 PM
1) Cults are not safe, some people have more power than the others, which is the reason they become so crazy, what do you mean by activities? certeinly not a trip to Korea more like a trip to zombieland where everyone is manipulated by one person
2) You hear about cults all the time which I think is good as it rises the awarness, I don't know whether they are easy to join, it probably depends on how big they want to become but i think it is easy in most cases, i would not join a cult and would not recommend anyone to do so
3) The reason why many people join cults is probably because it doesnt start as big in the beginning so if the like the beliefs the cult follows they may think it is a good thing or they just want to be different from the rest of the people or they are just naive, taking the fact, that many smart people join cults with redicilous beliefs, into the consideration it seems as the leaders are quite good at manipulating people
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 9:07:07 PM
At 10/11/2015 9:05:44 PM, YourGranny69 wrote:
1) Cults are not safe, some people have more power than the others, which is the reason they become so crazy, what do you mean by activities? certeinly not a trip to Korea more like a trip to zombieland where everyone is manipulated by one person
2) You hear about cults all the time which I think is good as it rises the awarness, I don't know whether they are easy to join, it probably depends on how big they want to become but i think it is easy in most cases, i would not join a cult and would not recommend anyone to do so
3) The reason why many people join cults is probably because it doesnt start as big in the beginning so if the like the beliefs the cult follows they may think it is a good thing or they just want to be different from the rest of the people or they are just naive, taking the fact, that many smart people join cults with redicilous beliefs, into the consideration it seems as the leaders are quite good at manipulating people

Thanks, could you answer all the questions/
Daultrabilal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 9:24:51 PM

Although the dictionary mainly defines this as to be religious the more contemporary definition is something attractive started bba strong leader
- Are they safe places?

Mainly follow one leader - so not really a hierarchy pyramid if u will

Could be anything /- maybe even making the neighbourhood a better place if you can have a "non extremist cult "

Depending on the intention on the actions of a cult , my general thoughts may differ. Although i don't really believe in the idea of a cult - I do believe having one good leader or role model is important

The media songbook really use the word cult - but the media is always taking about 'extremist groups'
-Are they easy to join?
Depends on the type of cult
-Would you join one?
depends on intentions and actions of the cult (if they have good intentions and do good deeds but are wrongly labelled a cult for different reasons)
The need for leaderships or to bring a change

A cult leader needs to have an identity and to be unique and assure people that there is a cause for it to be led well
Even if they are not given a direct promise they make one up (e.g 'I promise that I can benefit the cult") - they would need some sort of benefit

I would say that starting one is generally hard unless there's a major crises as people need a leader during hard times
-Are they strong people?
Not necessarily but they need a strong and relatable experience to influence the cult

In indirect ways
- Have you heard about cults from the media
As previously said the media don't usually use the word cult - but cover similar topics eg extremist groups
a friend of mine was often asked to join extremist groups but did not
at the end of the day if the cult has a "good cause" and can bring change to the general public to make their life's better via non violence- they may deserve to be looked at in a different perspective
- Where do they live
Anywhere
-Race?
any but the media tend to label them as Asian or from the Middle East
They would have to have a unique look such as symbols , outfits , hair styles e,t.c

-Cathy

Good luck with ur coursework sure u can ace it!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 10:05:46 PM

I have a huge interest in cults, this seems interesting.

My definition differs from the dictionary definition, and is in referance to religious and non religious groups, who use a specific form of brain washing.
- Are they safe places?

It varies from cult to cult. They can be physically safe or unsafe places, but they are bad for everyone's longterm mental health.

They aren't cults, if no hierarchy exists.

Usually prosetylitizing, recruiting, indoctrination and collection of money and resources.

They're dangerous, but unavoidable. The general public need to be more informed on their recruiting techniques, which are similar among all of them, so they can more easily avoid their traps.

Not much of interest.

-Are they easy to join?

Yes, and come in many forms. Even atheists get caught up in them, because they can be fitness cults, network marketing, self help, addiction recovery etc.

-Would you join one?

No, but I have got involved with one, I just realized what was going on and never went beyond the recruitment phase.

Research has concluded that they usually join after a traumatic event in their life or while they're at a low point. People usually join to feel love and acceptance. It's an instant family.

No, anybody can be a victim. We all have moments of weakness and our faults.

It starts as either a pursuit of some form of success or for love. Once they join, they don't usually stay for those things. They stay because of a fear of being an outsider.

Okay

-Are they strong people?

They're sick people in some form or another. Either because they have a mental illness or because they're sociopaths seeking riches and worship.

No, they're just mentally ill or evil.

First hand and a lot of investigation.

Yes, but they aren't focused on enough.

My sister may be in one, I'm not sure.

Not any so strong they can't be changed

Cult members could be anybody, so I'll focus on leaders, though not all cults have a charismatic leader, and even people higher up in the hierarchy are victims as well.

- Where do they live?

Anywhere, but typically either well below their means as something to impress new comers or they live like kings, because they're using other people's money.

-Race?

All races. I don't think there is one race that dominates in this area, if their is it will be Indians from India. They're typicall male, though.

Varies widely.

-Cathy
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 10:06:59 PM
At 10/11/2015 8:31:55 PM, cathyfriend101 wrote:
Reword this.

Usually a mental illness such as seeing themselves as God or because they're sociopaths who crave money and worship
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 11:25:15 PM

See final paragraph. However, in my book a true "cult" is an religious group founded upon lies and the founder's desire for power/women/money/etcetera. It is malicious in nature therefore.

- Are they safe places?

If you're asking whether or not the lives of cult members are in danger, it depends on the cult. Some milder cults simply want to largely control what their followers do and don't do in their everyday lives. Other cult leaders want their disciples to follow them into some great eschatological battle, perhaps against the police forces coming after them which are allegedly working for the devil or perhaps the followers are to wage war in the afterlife/become martyrs for God by committing mass suicide. The more dangerous cults often convince their followers that the end of days is upon humanity and that in response the believers should take some kind of drastic action.

Usually yes. Generally the leader of that cult has absolute authority. Other elders of the group may have special privileges, but if the cult leader suspects them of being subversive he may kick them out of the cult. Sometimes the second most influential figure in the cult breaks apart from that group with his followers and establishes a rival sect (sometimes the dispute is over doctrinal issues and other times it's just over who's supposed to lead the group).

That depends on the cult. Most cults in the United States are extreme Christian or Christian-esque denominations, such as certain Mormon break-off groups (to be fair, though, whether or not a group should be called a cult is often controversial and not clear-cut). They may require all female followers to wear long skirts, all followers to stay away from television because it's the devil's lies. They may have a system where women are not allowed to go out by themselves. Some of the most extreme cults have "spiritual marriages" where 12 year old girls are "married" off to the cult leader or group elders (that is, these men have sexual access to the 12 year old girls), but these are the more extreme cases.

If a group meets my definition of a cult, it's tragic. The congregation is brainwashed and deceived by a liar who craves power and wants to hold them all captive to his will. It's a form of mental bondage.

The media generally has a neutral or negative view of "cults". I've never heard anything positive or sympathetic about a group which the media has called a cult.

-Are they easy to join?

It's probably somewhat difficult to locate a religious group which demonstrates genuine cult-like activities. More extreme cults are even more difficult to locate because they don't want the outside world knowing of their activities.

-Would you join one?

Probably not.

Of what I heard, people may gain a sense of community from the extremely tight group of believers. Or, they may have an emotional attachment to the leader and be willing to believe in him. Perhaps their parents were members of the group and they were raised in the cult.

Certain people are naturally more susceptible to cults than others. That doesn't make them inferior people though.

See above.

-Are they strong people?

Cult leaders are often narcissists and high-functioning sociopaths. Unless they're mentally deranged they aren't to be pitied.

No, I haven't had any experience with a cult, nor has anybody I know of to my knowledge.

Yes I do.

- Where do they live?
-Race?

I'm really unable to answer this question. As to where they live, in the case of the Branch Davidians led by David Koresh, they moved to a remote compound where the followers could live and have less contact with the outside world. Sometimes cults are communal in nature. The less contact with the outside world the followers have the more vulnerable they are to the cult leader's dark influence. They'll often coerce their followers into severing all ties with family and friends so that they can be more easily controlled.

-Cathy

There's one last thing that I'd like to point out about groups that are commonly called cults. It is the outside world that refers to them as cults. As is generally the case with religion, cults require faith. They may teach their followers that the whole world is being deceived and that their leaders have special revelations which the followers must accept on faith. It is possible that some "cult leaders" speak the truth and that the outside world is being deceived by supernatural influences. The term "cult" as is used today is used by outsiders who have a distasteful opinion of the group in question and assume that the group is founded upon lies. A "cult" may not necessarily be a cult and the term should be used sparingly and with an open mind.
I hope I helped. :)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
cathyfriend101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 5:55:36 AM
At 10/11/2015 10:05:46 PM, Wylted wrote:

I have a huge interest in cults, this seems interesting.

My definition differs from the dictionary definition, and is in referance to religious and non religious groups, who use a specific form of brain washing.
- Are they safe places?

It varies from cult to cult. They can be physically safe or unsafe places, but they are bad for everyone's longterm mental health.

They aren't cults, if no hierarchy exists.

Usually prosetylitizing, recruiting, indoctrination and collection of money and resources.

They're dangerous, but unavoidable. The general public need to be more informed on their recruiting techniques, which are similar among all of them, so they can more easily avoid their traps.

Not much of interest.

-Are they easy to join?

Yes, and come in many forms. Even atheists get caught up in them, because they can be fitness cults, network marketing, self help, addiction recovery etc.

-Would you join one?

No, but I have got involved with one, I just realized what was going on and never went beyond the recruitment phase.

Research has concluded that they usually join after a traumatic event in their life or while they're at a low point. People usually join to feel love and acceptance. It's an instant family.

No, anybody can be a victim. We all have moments of weakness and our faults.

It starts as either a pursuit of some form of success or for love. Once they join, they don't usually stay for those things. They stay because of a fear of being an outsider.

Okay

-Are they strong people?

They're sick people in some form or another. Either because they have a mental illness or because they're sociopaths seeking riches and worship.

No, they're just mentally ill or evil.

First hand and a lot of investigation.

Yes, but they aren't focused on enough.

My sister may be in one, I'm not sure.

Not any so strong they can't be changed

Cult members could be anybody, so I'll focus on leaders, though not all cults have a charismatic leader, and even people higher up in the hierarchy are victims as well.

- Where do they live?

Anywhere, but typically either well below their means as something to impress new comers or they live like kings, because they're using other people's money.

-Race?

All races. I don't think there is one race that dominates in this area, if their is it will be Indians from India. They're typicall male, though.

Varies widely.

-Cathy

thank you for answering!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 9:03:01 AM
At 10/12/2015 7:50:51 AM, SM2 wrote:
Cults are good for orgies, and not much else.

That's true and some cults actually use it as a recruiting technique. It's something the Raelians are famous for.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 10:11:51 PM
At 10/12/2015 9:03:01 AM, Wylted wrote:

That's true and some cults actually use it as a recruiting technique. It's something the Raelians are famous for.

Where can I find one of these cults?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 1:35:54 AM
At 10/12/2015 10:11:51 PM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/12/2015 9:03:01 AM, Wylted wrote:

Where can I find one of these cults?

The Raelians have a website, that's a good start, and I'm not sure what the Children of God are up to, but they used to use sex a lot as a recruiting technique.