Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Black names CNN Raven-Symone

Todd0611
Posts: 99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2015 3:32:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This article from CNN, http://www.cnn.com..., was interesting to me, in the sense that a double standard is applied when it comes to blacks talking about themselves, and whites when talking about blacks (yes I know motives of some white people are racially insensitive). If a white actor/actress had said the things Raven did, I think the story would be talked about, and debated for days.

Basically, Raven said that she wouldn't hire someone if their name sounded "too black". This statement is from the article: After the video was played, Symon" opined it's not "racist" to judge people based on their names, it's simply "discriminatory."

Now, my problem is the double standard that this sets, if Tom Cruise, or Matt Damon, or if any other white male said that they were being "discriminatory", they would be blasted as racists, and the media would be pounding on them for days. One person's name came up in the article, Watermelondrea, and Raven said she would never hire someone with that name. If I was a business owner, and you turned in your resume with that name, honestly, my first instinct would be, thanks but no thanks. I applaud Raven, because she, IMO, is being honest. The problem to me, is that because she is black, she gets away with passing her statements off as "discriminatory", where as a white man would be crucified, and if he was famous, he'd be crucified in the media.

She did get some flak from a write at EBONY magazine, and according to the CNN article, Raven did not immediately respond for a comment. This is where more dishonesty will come out once Raven provides a response. Her PR team will come out with some BS statement like, "Raven apologizes if she offended anyone, male/female, all races, animals, insects, LGBT, and anyone else who was deeply hurt by her comments", then the rest of the apology will go on to explain what she really meant to say...all scripted. What Raven said, is what she truly thought, an idea that came from her. Anything she says about this after the fact, is scripted, and comes after her PR team tells her what to think, so that he popularity/credibility doesn't take a bigger hit.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 1:03:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/12/2015 3:32:17 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
This article from CNN, http://www.cnn.com..., was interesting to me, in the sense that a double standard is applied when it comes to blacks talking about themselves, and whites when talking about blacks (yes I know motives of some white people are racially insensitive). If a white actor/actress had said the things Raven did, I think the story would be talked about, and debated for days.

Basically, Raven said that she wouldn't hire someone if their name sounded "too black". This statement is from the article: After the video was played, Symon" opined it's not "racist" to judge people based on their names, it's simply "discriminatory."

Now, my problem is the double standard that this sets, if Tom Cruise, or Matt Damon, or if any other white male said that they were being "discriminatory", they would be blasted as racists, and the media would be pounding on them for days. One person's name came up in the article, Watermelondrea, and Raven said she would never hire someone with that name. If I was a business owner, and you turned in your resume with that name, honestly, my first instinct would be, thanks but no thanks. I applaud Raven, because she, IMO, is being honest. The problem to me, is that because she is black, she gets away with passing her statements off as "discriminatory", where as a white man would be crucified, and if he was famous, he'd be crucified in the media.

She did get some flak from a write at EBONY magazine, and according to the CNN article, Raven did not immediately respond for a comment. This is where more dishonesty will come out once Raven provides a response. Her PR team will come out with some BS statement like, "Raven apologizes if she offended anyone, male/female, all races, animals, insects, LGBT, and anyone else who was deeply hurt by her comments", then the rest of the apology will go on to explain what she really meant to say...all scripted. What Raven said, is what she truly thought, an idea that came from her. Anything she says about this after the fact, is scripted, and comes after her PR team tells her what to think, so that he popularity/credibility doesn't take a bigger hit.

Umm, what are you talking about? Black social media has been going OFF on Raven for the past 2 years or so for the stupid ish she says pertaining to race. And I think she just got fired from the View.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 3:33:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/13/2015 1:03:05 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Umm, what are you talking about? Black social media has been going OFF on Raven for the past 2 years or so for the stupid ish she says pertaining to race. And I think she just got fired from the View.

This.

OP is this thread about you agreeing with what Raven said or complaining that, because she's a "person of colour" (*ahem* colourless), she can get away with it? If it's the former, I could debunk that for you. If it's the latter (which PCP has already debunked anyway), your argument is that she herself said she's not racist and therefore she's getting away with it...?

What I find interesting is that you acknowledge Ebony magazine called Raven out but it seems you don't consider them legitimate media. If you pick and choose who you're going to consider "media" then of course you'll support your own argument.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 1:05:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/12/2015 3:32:17 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
This article from CNN, http://www.cnn.com..., was interesting to me, in the sense that a double standard is applied when it comes to blacks talking about themselves, and whites when talking about blacks (yes I know motives of some white people are racially insensitive). If a white actor/actress had said the things Raven did, I think the story would be talked about, and debated for days.

Basically, Raven said that she wouldn't hire someone if their name sounded "too black". This statement is from the article: After the video was played, Symon" opined it's not "racist" to judge people based on their names, it's simply "discriminatory."

Now, my problem is the double standard that this sets, if Tom Cruise, or Matt Damon, or if any other white male said that they were being "discriminatory", they would be blasted as racists, and the media would be pounding on them for days. One person's name came up in the article, Watermelondrea, and Raven said she would never hire someone with that name. If I was a business owner, and you turned in your resume with that name, honestly, my first instinct would be, thanks but no thanks. I applaud Raven, because she, IMO, is being honest. The problem to me, is that because she is black, she gets away with passing her statements off as "discriminatory", where as a white man would be crucified, and if he was famous, he'd be crucified in the media.

She did get some flak from a write at EBONY magazine, and according to the CNN article, Raven did not immediately respond for a comment. This is where more dishonesty will come out once Raven provides a response. Her PR team will come out with some BS statement like, "Raven apologizes if she offended anyone, male/female, all races, animals, insects, LGBT, and anyone else who was deeply hurt by her comments", then the rest of the apology will go on to explain what she really meant to say...all scripted. What Raven said, is what she truly thought, an idea that came from her. Anything she says about this after the fact, is scripted, and comes after her PR team tells her what to think, so that he popularity/credibility doesn't take a bigger hit.

I agree. I think Raven is taking if a double standard. Kind if constructive given the message I think she was trying to make. That being said Raven Symone us an idiot. She doesn't even want to be considered black.

My thing is racial equality isn't color blind so I dnt really knw what the point of that is. And it definitely doesn't make you not black. Sounds like she just doesn't really like black people all that much. Her points are just to ridiculous.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 1:09:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/13/2015 1:05:29 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 10/12/2015 3:32:17 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
This article from CNN, http://www.cnn.com..., was interesting to me, in the sense that a double standard is applied when it comes to blacks talking about themselves, and whites when talking about blacks (yes I know motives of some white people are racially insensitive). If a white actor/actress had said the things Raven did, I think the story would be talked about, and debated for days.

Basically, Raven said that she wouldn't hire someone if their name sounded "too black". This statement is from the article: After the video was played, Symon" opined it's not "racist" to judge people based on their names, it's simply "discriminatory."

Now, my problem is the double standard that this sets, if Tom Cruise, or Matt Damon, or if any other white male said that they were being "discriminatory", they would be blasted as racists, and the media would be pounding on them for days. One person's name came up in the article, Watermelondrea, and Raven said she would never hire someone with that name. If I was a business owner, and you turned in your resume with that name, honestly, my first instinct would be, thanks but no thanks. I applaud Raven, because she, IMO, is being honest. The problem to me, is that because she is black, she gets away with passing her statements off as "discriminatory", where as a white man would be crucified, and if he was famous, he'd be crucified in the media.

She did get some flak from a write at EBONY magazine, and according to the CNN article, Raven did not immediately respond for a comment. This is where more dishonesty will come out once Raven provides a response. Her PR team will come out with some BS statement like, "Raven apologizes if she offended anyone, male/female, all races, animals, insects, LGBT, and anyone else who was deeply hurt by her comments", then the rest of the apology will go on to explain what she really meant to say...all scripted. What Raven said, is what she truly thought, an idea that came from her. Anything she says about this after the fact, is scripted, and comes after her PR team tells her what to think, so that he popularity/credibility doesn't take a bigger hit.

I agree. I think Raven is taking advantage of a double standard. Kind if contradictive given the message I think she was trying to make. That being said Raven Symone is an idiot. She doesn't even want to be considered black.

My thing is racial equality isn't color blind so I dnt really knw what the point of that is. And it definitely doesn't make you not black. Sounds like she just doesn't really like black people all that much. Her points are just to ridiculous
Todd0611
Posts: 99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2015 4:28:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/13/2015 3:33:54 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 10/13/2015 1:03:05 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Umm, what are you talking about? Black social media has been going OFF on Raven for the past 2 years or so for the stupid ish she says pertaining to race. And I think she just got fired from the View.

This.

OP is this thread about you agreeing with what Raven said or complaining that, because she's a "person of colour" (*ahem* colourless), she can get away with it? If it's the former, I could debunk that for you. If it's the latter (which PCP has already debunked anyway), your argument is that she herself said she's not racist and therefore she's getting away with it...?

What I find interesting is that you acknowledge Ebony magazine called Raven out but it seems you don't consider them legitimate media. If you pick and choose who you're going to consider "media" then of course you'll support your own argument.

I guess I was a little ticked off, because of the latter...that she can get away with it. I'll admit, I do not follow her, I was just commenting off the article. Ebony is plenty legitimate, IMO, I just think that if this was a white person, that more of the news media outlets would be doing interviews, stories, and screaming for an apology. To me, it seems like in the media, when a popular, or prominent person who is white, says something racist, it's dragged out for days, and that person gets crucified for a while (and they deserve the criticism to a point). If something was said, that was racially insensitive, then they deserve to be called out. I guess I would have expected more outrage from the media, and honestly, I haven't followed up on anything pertaining to the original article.

Raven isn't some huge celebrity (compared to a lot of the more well known ones), but overall, I was just commenting on the article, and what was said. I'll freely admit that I do not know much about her, other than my kids used to watch her show on Disney (I think, or Nickelodeon). I also do not follow social media, unless it was something reported on a news site, so I honestly have no idea how some media outlets have treated her. My main point, is I think it's a double standard, and I'm willing to listen to others input, if they think my conclusion was incorrect.
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 2:08:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/13/2015 4:28:31 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
I guess I was a little ticked off, because of the latter...that she can get away with it. I'll admit, I do not follow her, I was just commenting off the article. Ebony is plenty legitimate, IMO, I just think that if this was a white person, that more of the news media outlets would be doing interviews, stories, and screaming for an apology. To me, it seems like in the media, when a popular, or prominent person who is white, says something racist, it's dragged out for days, and that person gets crucified for a while (and they deserve the criticism to a point). If something was said, that was racially insensitive, then they deserve to be called out. I guess I would have expected more outrage from the media, and honestly, I haven't followed up on anything pertaining to the original article.

Yeah, I can't really speculate on mainstream media since I no longer follow such news outlets. Certainly though, Black people, Black writers, and Black activists have been calling her out. I do think that, if it is the case that mainstream (read: White) media are not calling her out, it isn't about a double standard - it's about supporting White supremacy. It benefits White supremacy to have "Black" people (I put that in quotations because I don't really agree with the Americanism of calling everyone "Black", and Raven refuses to identify as such) say negative things about Black people. It's a tactic that's been used time and time again... a group of Black people online predicted Raven would be offered a spot on the View the moment she started saying disparaging and offensive things about Blacks. Black sell-outs get rewarded.

Raven isn't some huge celebrity (compared to a lot of the more well known ones), but overall, I was just commenting on the article, and what was said. I'll freely admit that I do not know much about her, other than my kids used to watch her show on Disney (I think, or Nickelodeon). I also do not follow social media, unless it was something reported on a news site, so I honestly have no idea how some media outlets have treated her. My main point, is I think it's a double standard, and I'm willing to listen to others input, if they think my conclusion was incorrect.

The CNN link you posted is titled "The problem with Raven-Symon"'s comments about black names" - sounds to me like calling her out.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2015 9:37:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Does anyone else find this absurdly ironic coming from a women named Raven Symone? By her own standards, she wouldn't be hired, lol.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 12:03:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 9:37:28 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Does anyone else find this absurdly ironic coming from a women named Raven Symone? By her own standards, she wouldn't be hired, lol.

- HAHHAHAHAH! True.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 12:21:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/14/2015 9:37:28 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Does anyone else find this absurdly ironic coming from a women named Raven Symone? By her own standards, she wouldn't be hired, lol.

And it's e-accent aigu on her birth certificate... (sorry, DDO won't recognize the special character)

Also...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk...

And she said it with a straight face as she looked like this: https://nyppagesix.files.wordpress.com...
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 2:27:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/15/2015 12:21:13 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 10/14/2015 9:37:28 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Does anyone else find this absurdly ironic coming from a women named Raven Symone? By her own standards, she wouldn't be hired, lol.

And it's e-accent aigu on her birth certificate... (sorry, DDO won't recognize the special character)

Also...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk...

And she said it with a straight face as she looked like this: https://nyppagesix.files.wordpress.com...

You've got to be fvcking kidding me. That picture, with the quote superimposed, should be next to the definition of 'hypocrite' in the dictionary.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -