Jump to topic:

Ants Considered A Civilization

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 7:51:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I want to have your opinions on the concept of considering ants a civilization. Ants have mastered domestication, cloning (in a manner of speaking), have had wars, have a culture in a manner of speaking), and they build cities (in a manner of speaking) and use tools. Should they not be considered a civilization (they have been more advanced than us since before hominids existed).
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:34:18 PM
I always thought they were. I always found them interesting and amazing.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:37:27 PM
At 9/18/2010 7:51:38 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I want to have your opinions on the concept of considering ants a civilization. Ants have mastered domestication, cloning (in a manner of speaking), have had wars, have a culture in a manner of speaking), and they build cities (in a manner of speaking) and use tools. Should they not be considered a civilization (they have been more advanced than us since before hominids existed).

this is a mockery of human ingenuity. ants did all these things by instinct. we had to discover them using our intelligence and creativity.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:38:26 PM
At 9/18/2010 8:34:18 PM, lovelife wrote:
I always thought they were. I always found them interesting and amazing.

Yea, they're quite impressive. I would say they create their own ant civilizations.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:55:09 PM
At 9/18/2010 8:37:27 PM, belle wrote:

this is a mockery of human ingenuity. ants did all these things by instinct. we had to discover them using our intelligence and creativity.

But this had to start from somewhere and don't humans have the instinct to create tools (I believe we do) and how can you discredit the intelligence of another species when in my personal opinion we should discredit the intelligence of ourselves since humans in the majority have no common sense, and ants had to have used their intelligence and ingenuity to build those structures and everything ant society uses (so it can eventually become instinct), intelligence cannot truly be measured and neither can sentience.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:00:28 PM
At 9/18/2010 8:55:09 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

But this had to start from somewhere and don't humans have the instinct to create tools (I believe we do) and how can you discredit the intelligence of another species when in my personal opinion we should discredit the intelligence of ourselves since humans in the majority have no common sense, and ants had to have used their intelligence and ingenuity to build those structures and everything ant society uses (so it can eventually become instinct), intelligence cannot truly be measured and neither can sentience.

Exactly. I believe humans' intelect comes from nature, same with ants, and that they both use it much the same way. Ants are also much stronger than humans. <if they were the same size> but I think they are too oppressed and spend too much time trying to please the queen.
My fave little kid book/movie was the ant bully btw.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:08:57 PM

an ant doesn't need math or engineering to build its... hive/nest.... thingy. i don't see ants inventing new labor saving tools. i don't see ants utilizing the scientific method to better understand the world around them. i don't see them changing their way of life at all in the millions (billions?) of years they have existed. contrast that to how much human society has changed in the past 100 years... and why? because of our vast intelligence.... comparing that to the intelligence of ants is just ridiculous.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:10:58 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:08:57 PM, belle wrote:

an ant doesn't need math or engineering to build its... hive/nest.... thingy. i don't see ants inventing new labor saving tools. i don't see ants utilizing the scientific method to better understand the world around them. i don't see them changing their way of life at all in the millions (billions?) of years they have existed. contrast that to how much human society has changed in the past 100 years... and why? because of our vast intelligence.... comparing that to the intelligence of ants is just ridiculous.

I say ants are keeping secrets and most likely know more than the humans know.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:13:01 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:10:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

dear god i hope you're joking. lol.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:19:58 PM

that was a fairly ignorant thing to say i think.
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:22:59 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:13:01 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/18/2010 9:10:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

dear god i hope you're joking. lol.

Lol I am mostly. Its what good movies are made of tho. Plus one never knows for sure.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:23:45 PM
Do I believe its the case? About as likely as the existnance of a god. I'm atheist, but not completely close minded.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:30:32 PM

But how do you know that they don't use engineering, math, and the scientific method, the last time I checked humans can't speak or understand ant, and also look at it like this ants already have a perfect easily mass produced workforce (he worker ant) and the ants are highly efficient and the ants could be more advanced than us for all we know and just hide their most advanced technology and why change ant society when it works so efficiently, during the Hellenistic Period tons of technological knowledge was gained but none was truly used to any extent how do we know its not a similar principal with the ant, as a wise man once said"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Minister Of Trolling
:
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:32:07 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:30:32 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

But how do you know that they don't use engineering, math, and the scientific method, the last time I checked humans can't speak or understand ant, and also look at it like this ants already have a perfect easily mass produced workforce (he worker ant) and the ants are highly efficient and the ants could be more advanced than us for all we know and just hide their most advanced technology and why change ant society when it works so efficiently, during the Hellenistic Period tons of technological knowledge was gained but none was truly used to any extent how do we know its not a similar principal with the ant, as a wise man once said"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Exactly. Maybe the ants are amish anyway.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:35:37 PM

how do you know we're not just like... in a giant terrarium being guarded over by ants!?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:38:12 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:35:37 PM, belle wrote:

how do you know we're not just like... in a giant terrarium being guarded over by ants!?

The truth is: we don't.
Minister Of Trolling
:
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:40:15 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:38:12 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

yeah, but we have no reason to think thats the case. unless you want to go around having no idea about absolutely everything all the time... you draw a line :P
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:44:40 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:40:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

The truth is you're an idiot.

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine tonight! Your happiness is overflowing the forums.... LOL :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:49:51 PM

Well do you know?
Minister Of Trolling
:
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:52:52 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:49:51 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Well do you know?

Truth is, he's just insulting and is better left ignored.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 9:56:42 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:52:52 PM, lovelife wrote:

Well do you know?

naw, in this case SRW's argument is retarded. after all, how do you know that j. kenyon is a person and not a cow? how do you know that you're not dreaming or hallucinating? how do you know that the external world exists at all? how can you have a rational discussion about anything but math or pure logic when "know" means 100% certainty?

you can't....
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:03:04 PM
At 9/18/2010 9:56:42 PM, belle wrote:

Well do you know?

naw, in this case SRW's argument is retarded. after all, how do you know that j. kenyon is a person and not a cow? how do you know that you're not dreaming or hallucinating? how do you know that the external world exists at all? how can you have a rational discussion about anything but math or pure logic when "know" means 100% certainty?

you can't....

Nah, I actually think its just thought provoking and at least interesting. Then again I ran into a similar problem with my mom, so I guess not everyone thinks that just thought provoking things that no one actually takes completely serious is interesting.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 10:25:16 PM
I want to have your opinions on the concept of considering ants a civilization. Ants have mastered domestication

If by domestication you mean 'a place to live' then the vast majority of animals have favourable habitats.

cloning (in a manner of speaking)

An artifact of thoughtless reproduction is not mastering short of some horrible equivocation.

have had wars

Animals compete for territory frequently, though under your definition plant seeds would also seemingly engage in war.

have a culture in a manner of speaking)

No they don't unless you designate 'action' as culture by which all animate objects have culture.

and they build cities (in a manner of speaking)

Equivocation. It is a system no different than say birds nests.

and use tools.

Nope.

Should they not be considered a civilization

No.

they have been more advanced than us since before hominids existed

And no again. Heck the whole paragraph should just be rubber stamped as a giant, messy equivocation
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:59:52 AM
For reference:
>In metaphysics, the only thing that is certain is your own existence, cognitio ergo sum, nothing else. They accept the fallacy of empirical sense.
>In science, unlike philosophy, you accept empirical truth: if you observe it, it's true(hence evolution has never been sensed before and isn't fact). This is what makes a theory a law.
>In law/rhetoric/reason, you accept reasonable doubt, theories if plausible.

Sorry, but your argument is flawed.

>The Ants - by Bert Hölldobler and E.O. Wilson, Harvard University Press
>The Ant World - by Deek Wragge Morley

Ant sociobiology or social entomology is quite cool; I own both books because I have weird godparents.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:54:29 AM

Well do you know?

Truth is, SRW has a retarded argument and J. Kenyon is pointing that out in a blunt manner.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 6:48:15 AM
But this had to start from somewhere and don't humans have the instinct to create tools (I believe we do):

No. Hand a baby a knife and some wood and tell me if the baby instinctively fashions a spear.

ants had to have used their intelligence and ingenuity to build those structures and everything ant society uses (so it can eventually become instinct), intelligence cannot truly be measured and neither can sentience.:

As best we can tell, ants don't have an intellect, they just have reactions to stimuli.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 6:51:00 AM
At 9/19/2010 6:48:15 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
But this had to start from somewhere and don't humans have the instinct to create tools (I believe we do):

No. Hand a baby a knife and some wood and tell me if the baby instinctively fashions a spear.

ants had to have used their intelligence and ingenuity to build those structures and everything ant society uses (so it can eventually become instinct), intelligence cannot truly be measured and neither can sentience.:

As best we can tell, ants don't have an intellect, they just have reactions to stimuli.

and intellect's not reaction to stimuli?
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 6:55:57 AM
and intellect's not reaction to stimuli?:

No, not at all. When you flinch, do you so because of your intellect or because of involuntary reactions?

Or do you solve mathematical theorems involuntarily?

That's the difference between instinct and intellect. Sure, both originate in the brain, but the two are not the same thing.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 8:22:51 AM
So this proves humans are truly imperialistic and that humans can't accept the fact that any organism that doesn't use the same technology we use as intelligent. Man are we going to be destroyed or what.
Minister Of Trolling
: