Jump to topic:

The Law of Attraction

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:05:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"The law of attraction will certainly and unerringly bring to you the conditions, environment and experiences in life, corresponding with your habitual, characteristic, predominant mental attitude." - Charles Haanel, The Master Key

The New Thought movement's ideas are generally described as pseudosciences (and from this movement came what we know as "Christian Science"). While we may have disregarded this rather odd group of ideas, do some people still believe in some of their doctrine? My example on this, the law of attraction, is really just a pile of drivel and confirmation bias.

But, I still do see it in the thought of many. In the thought of optimists, who take so much to convince themselves that all will be good - they become susceptible to falling into the trap of "if you're upset, it's because you see the world so negatively."

Is the world a cesspool of violence, hatred, and pain? Perhaps not in more economically privileged countries - sure. But that doesn't mean things cannot happen to people. If there is a woman, and her spouse beats her, and the woman commits suicide after years of abuse because she is too afraid of telling someone, should we say that her negative take on the situation is to blame?

Think about this:

Have you ever said that someone's negativity in their thought will make their experiences of less value than those who are more positive in thought (like attracts like)? If you have, can you justify your thought?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:11:04 PM
At 10/20/2015 4:05:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"The law of attraction will certainly and unerringly bring to you the conditions, environment and experiences in life, corresponding with your habitual, characteristic, predominant mental attitude." - Charles Haanel, The Master Key

The New Thought movement's ideas are generally described as pseudosciences (and from this movement came what we know as "Christian Science"). While we may have disregarded this rather odd group of ideas, do some people still believe in some of their doctrine? My example on this, the law of attraction, is really just a pile of drivel and confirmation bias.

But, I still do see it in the thought of many. In the thought of optimists, who take so much to convince themselves that all will be good - they become susceptible to falling into the trap of "if you're upset, it's because you see the world so negatively."

Is the world a cesspool of violence, hatred, and pain? Perhaps not in more economically privileged countries - sure. But that doesn't mean things cannot happen to people. If there is a woman, and her spouse beats her, and the woman commits suicide after years of abuse because she is too afraid of telling someone, should we say that her negative take on the situation is to blame?

Think about this:

Have you ever said that someone's negativity in their thought will make their experiences of less value than those who are more positive in thought (like attracts like)? If you have, can you justify your thought?

There is a great West Wing where Josh sends Donna to a seminar spouting this sort of cr*p. Let me see if I can find the clip, its great/.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:11:57 PM
At 10/20/2015 4:11:04 PM, TBR wrote:
There is a great West Wing where Josh sends Donna to a seminar spouting this sort of cr*p. Let me see if I can find the clip, its great/.
Lol

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:13:23 PM
I see this mostly directed at people who are depressed. Nothing pisses me off more than when I hear people say "it's all in the head", as if they know what's wrong with the person. It's a joke at its philosophical base, but it's harmful when applied.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 4:16:05 PM
At 10/20/2015 4:11:57 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 10/20/2015 4:11:04 PM, TBR wrote:
Lol

I should say, its not like you have to walk around like a depressed russian novelists, but there is no reason to fool yourself into being "happy" either.

I have a thing for very depressing music. That is a large catalog, but I also love very happy music. Each has effect on my feelings and emotions. I just have no interest in some sort of bu11sh1tery blathered by a guy who was kicked out of greeting card business.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 8:01:42 PM
It's easy to be dismissive of new thought philosophy, because it's dumbed down for the benefit of the masses. Here is Tony Robbins with an exercise to kind of show you one of the ways in which "The Secret" works.

https://m.youtube.com...

It's not voodoo or a scam, you can apply new thought, rather easily.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 8:53:56 PM

Think about this:

I think negative thinking can lead to unhealthy behaviors, such as self-loathing, alienation, and feeling inferior. Someone who is very negative in their thinking is also likely to not take initiative. I don't really know if this is the answer you wanted though.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 9:16:05 PM
I think negative thinking can lead to unhealthy behaviors, such as self-loathing, alienation, and feeling inferior. Someone who is very negative in their thinking is also likely to not take initiative. I don't really know if this is the answer you wanted though.

You should look at negative visualization. It can really help you live in the moment and enjoy life more. Or does that not count as negative thinking?