Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Number of Marijuana Abusers Increases

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 9:42:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Read and contribute your thoughts: https://www.yahoo.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2015 11:18:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Very sad, but a predictable consequence of loosening drug laws. If we continue down this path, one day weed will be as pervasive as alcohol.

We need to do alcohol what we're gradually doing to cigarettes, and we need to reverse course on marijuana.
JMcKinley
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 11:13:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'd like to know if the use of alcohol decreased in the sample groups. Alcohol has been shown to be significantly more detrimental for your health than marijuana. So if they have replaced some of their alcohol intake with weed they're probably experiencing a net gain in their overall health.
JMcKinley
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 11:18:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 11:18:46 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Very sad, but a predictable consequence of loosening drug laws. If we continue down this path, one day weed will be as pervasive as alcohol.

We need to do alcohol what we're gradually doing to cigarettes, and we need to reverse course on marijuana.

Why? Because we've been so successful at putting a stop to marijuana use with our past approach? Drug laws in North America have failed in a spectacular fashion. The only thing they have successfully done is create the richest and most powerful crime lords the modern world has ever seen. We can't even manage to keep them in prison once we've caught them because they've got so much money they can afford to stage elaborate escape plans with well-funded, well-trained teams on the outside.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 9:32:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We just need to execute idiots that can't do stuff in moderation, and as a result get stuff I would like to do, taken off the market. I mean Phen-Pham was a great OTC weight loss and energy supplement, but retarded people abused it and ruined it for me. I say let these jerks die. It isn't fair to people like me who would abuse these things in a responsible way.
Sarai.K82
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 2:57:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The study states that marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise. But these problems are largely tied to the overall increase in new users. If more people drive, you'll have more car accidents. Significantly, the study's researches also noted that existing marijuana users have experienced a 15% decline in pot-related disorders.

I am not sure how much this study matters in terms of formulating drug policy for adults. It and related studies certainly make it clear that cannabis should be kept away from younger individuals who are still developing intellectually. As the lead author from the recent pediatrician's study said, ""It"s not benign for youth," he said. "It may be benign for adults, but the Academy feels strongly that alcohol is not benign for youths either."

So yes, Marijuana like alcohol is a drug and you need to use it carefully and appropriately and as more people use it, you will concurrently have more abusers. But I would also keep in mind that the psychiatric definition of what constitutes a "marijuana use disorder" is broad and will sweep a lot of people into its definition.

For example, the criterion for defining someone as suffering from marijuana use disorder includes this criteria:

Criterion 1: "The individual may take the substance in larger amounts or over a longer period than was originally intended."

So if you think I'll just try it once or twice. But then you find out that your fasting blood sugar is lower, your insulin resistance is down, your no longer feeling so depressed, so you I'm going to keep using it and I'll use it more regularly than I originally intended.

Congratulations, you just met the first criteria for being diagnosed as suffering from marijuana use disorder. Of course if the doctor diagnosing you will hopefully go in depth into why you're smoking/dabbing/eating more and he might decide that since you're taking it for medical purposes, you probably shouldn't be classified.

As I look at the study cited, I can't tell how in depth the researchers got. I suspect they asked general questions and then classified anyone with a positive answer as having "signs of marijuana used disorder."

It's an interesting study overall. I'm just not sure yet how much weight to assign it.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 4:00:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 9:42:04 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Read and contribute your thoughts: https://www.yahoo.com...

Expected. For everyone that says the drug laws failed, they were never expected to prevent all drug use. Just like making rape illegal doesn't stop all rape. But if you say "screw it all, we can't stop rape so it is now legal" the rates will skyrocket.

Drunk driving is a great example. After MADD was founded in 1980 and the laws were greatly ramped up, drunk driving deaths plummeted (something like 75% of 15 years).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 4:01:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/24/2015 2:57:43 PM, Sarai.K82 wrote:
The study states that marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise. But these problems are largely tied to the overall increase in new users. If more people drive, you'll have more car accidents. Significantly, the study's researches also noted that existing marijuana users have experienced a 15% decline in pot-related disorders.

The study looked at the rates, not just the total number. The percentage of abuse went up.


I am not sure how much this study matters in terms of formulating drug policy for adults. It and related studies certainly make it clear that cannabis should be kept away from younger individuals who are still developing intellectually. As the lead author from the recent pediatrician's study said, ""It"s not benign for youth," he said. "It may be benign for adults, but the Academy feels strongly that alcohol is not benign for youths either."

So yes, Marijuana like alcohol is a drug and you need to use it carefully and appropriately and as more people use it, you will concurrently have more abusers. But I would also keep in mind that the psychiatric definition of what constitutes a "marijuana use disorder" is broad and will sweep a lot of people into its definition.

For example, the criterion for defining someone as suffering from marijuana use disorder includes this criteria:

Criterion 1: "The individual may take the substance in larger amounts or over a longer period than was originally intended."

So if you think I'll just try it once or twice. But then you find out that your fasting blood sugar is lower, your insulin resistance is down, your no longer feeling so depressed, so you I'm going to keep using it and I'll use it more regularly than I originally intended.

Congratulations, you just met the first criteria for being diagnosed as suffering from marijuana use disorder. Of course if the doctor diagnosing you will hopefully go in depth into why you're smoking/dabbing/eating more and he might decide that since you're taking it for medical purposes, you probably shouldn't be classified.

As I look at the study cited, I can't tell how in depth the researchers got. I suspect they asked general questions and then classified anyone with a positive answer as having "signs of marijuana used disorder."

It's an interesting study overall. I'm just not sure yet how much weight to assign it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 5:35:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Firstly, calling marijuana smoker's abusers is ridiculous, since one correlates abuse with things like heroin, crack, and crystal meth. Calling marijuana smoker's abusers is like calling video geek's abusers. While we all believe that playing video games all day long is a waist of time, we do not consider it a terrible sin or worthy of being called abuse, and neither should we with marijuana smokers.
When are you guys going to go away? Look, friend, it's over. Your lies about marijuana have been exposed. And it's thanks to the internet. People can go online and read and research and find that marijuana is way less harmful that nicotine or alcohol, and less addicting. This is a fact. So when you post stuff on this debate, you are making yourself out to be a complete liar. I'm not afraid of being direct and insulting to liars, because you should be insulted. Lies, especially when they are known lies, should be exposed everywhere they are found.
Here is a list of addictive substances and where they rate on the addictive scale. 1-10....1 is least addictive, 10 is most addictive
10. Heroin, crack, meth
9. nicotine
8. cocaine, powder type
7. alcohol
6. barbiturates
5. caffeine
4. marijuana
3.LSD
2. glue sniffing
1. peyote
Most research shows that video game addiction is right up there with coffee and marijuana. In other words, not really addicting, but more habit forming, kind of like picking your nose.
I have had experience with marijuana. It is habit forming, but not because it's addicting. In other words, quitting is easy because you don't have cravings for it. It's like hunting, or fishing, or skateboarding, of watching movies. We do these things because we enjoy them and they are fun. But we aren't addicted to them. At anytime we can easily throw the skateboard away, turn off the TV, throw the gun in the river along with the fishing pole. And afterwards, we will not have cravings to continue with them. However, because they are enjoyable, we will continue them. Pot is the same way. More often than not people quit pot because it starts to seem like a waist of time, just as we might stop playing video games at some point because we will begin to see that there's much more to life than video games.
Your premise about abuse is absolutely ridiculous. Abusing pot would be hard to do unless you are an absolute loser with nothing else going on in your life.
I'm from Colorado. Pot has been legal here for three years now. I smoked it once in the last three years. So did all my friends, maybe once or twice. You know what they haven't given up? That's right, alcohol. Alcohol is the drug of choice for most people. And it is the most violent drug on earth. 40% of all murders are alcohol related. Plus, alcohol is much more addicting that pot. It leads to obesity, liver disease, heart disease, and because of its violent nature it leads to the breakup of families. Pot does not do this, although for those who really do abuse it, it can lead to lung problems after a life-time of smoking too much of it, but nicotine does a better job at that.
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 5:40:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Firstly, calling marijuana smoker's abusers is ridiculous, since one correlates abuse with things like heroin, crack, and crystal meth. Calling marijuana smoker's abusers is like calling video geek's abusers. While we all believe that playing video games all day long is a waist of time, we do not consider it a terrible sin or worthy of being called abuse, and neither should we with marijuana smokers.
When are you guys going to go away? Look, friend, it's over. Your lies about marijuana have been exposed. And it's thanks to the internet. People can go online and read and research and find that marijuana is way less harmful than nicotine or alcohol, and less addicting. This is a fact. So when you post stuff on this debate, you are making yourself out to be a complete liar. I'm not afraid of being direct and insulting to liars, because you should be insulted. Lies, especially when they are known lies, should be exposed everywhere they are found.
Here is a list of addictive substances and where they rate on the addictive scale. 1-10....1 is least addictive, 10 is most addictive
10. Heroin, crack, meth
9. nicotine
8. cocaine, powder type
7. alcohol
6. barbiturates
5. caffeine
4. marijuana
3.LSD
2. glue sniffing
1. peyote
Most research shows that video game addiction is right up there with coffee and marijuana. In other words, not really addicting, but more habit forming, kind of like picking your nose.
I have had experience with marijuana. It is habit forming, but not because it's addicting. In other words, quitting is easy because you don't have cravings for it. It's like hunting, or fishing, or skateboarding, of watching movies. We do these things because we enjoy them and they are fun. But we aren't addicted to them. At anytime we can easily throw the skateboard away, turn off the TV, throw the gun in the river along with the fishing pole. And afterwards, we will not have cravings to continue with them. However, because they are enjoyable, we will continue them. Pot is the same way. More often than not people quit pot because it starts to seem like a waist of time, just as we might stop playing video games at some point because we will begin to see that there's much more to life than video games.
Your premise about abuse is absolutely ridiculous. Abusing pot would be hard to do unless you are an absolute loser with nothing else going on in your life.
I'm from Colorado. Pot has been legal here for three years now. I smoked it once in the last three years. So did all my friends, maybe once or twice. You know what they haven't given up? That's right, alcohol. Alcohol is the drug of choice for most people. And it is the most violent drug on earth. 40% of all murders are alcohol related. Plus, alcohol is much more addicting than pot. It leads to obesity, liver disease, heart disease, and because of its violent nature it leads to the breakup of families. Pot does not do this, although for those who really do abuse it, it can lead to lung problems after a life-time of smoking too much of it, but nicotine does a better job at that.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2015 9:59:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/22/2015 9:42:04 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Read and contribute your thoughts: https://www.yahoo.com...

What is the proper amount of marijuana or frequency to distinguish between use and abuse?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 10:21:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is abuse anyway? If I smoke a hoint every day to wind down from work, is that abuse?
Why do pot laws exist anyway, to stop people from getting the munchies?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 11:23:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/24/2015 5:35:45 PM, j50wells wrote:
Firstly, calling marijuana smoker's abusers is ridiculous, since one correlates abuse with things like heroin, crack, and crystal meth. Calling marijuana smoker's abusers is like calling video geek's abusers. While we all believe that playing video games all day long is a waist of time, we do not consider it a terrible sin or worthy of being called abuse, and neither should we with marijuana smokers.
When are you guys going to go away? Look, friend, it's over. Your lies about marijuana have been exposed. And it's thanks to the internet. People can go online and read and research and find that marijuana is way less harmful that nicotine or alcohol, and less addicting. This is a fact. So when you post stuff on this debate, you are making yourself out to be a complete liar. I'm not afraid of being direct and insulting to liars, because you should be insulted. Lies, especially when they are known lies, should be exposed everywhere they are found.
Here is a list of addictive substances and where they rate on the addictive scale. 1-10....1 is least addictive, 10 is most addictive
10. Heroin, crack, meth
9. nicotine
8. cocaine, powder type
7. alcohol
6. barbiturates
5. caffeine
4. marijuana
3.LSD
2. glue sniffing
1. peyote
Most research shows that video game addiction is right up there with coffee and marijuana. In other words, not really addicting, but more habit forming, kind of like picking your nose.
I have had experience with marijuana. It is habit forming, but not because it's addicting. In other words, quitting is easy because you don't have cravings for it. It's like hunting, or fishing, or skateboarding, of watching movies. We do these things because we enjoy them and they are fun. But we aren't addicted to them. At anytime we can easily throw the skateboard away, turn off the TV, throw the gun in the river along with the fishing pole. And afterwards, we will not have cravings to continue with them. However, because they are enjoyable, we will continue them. Pot is the same way. More often than not people quit pot because it starts to seem like a waist of time, just as we might stop playing video games at some point because we will begin to see that there's much more to life than video games.
Your premise about abuse is absolutely ridiculous. Abusing pot would be hard to do unless you are an absolute loser with nothing else going on in your life.
I'm from Colorado. Pot has been legal here for three years now. I smoked it once in the last three years. So did all my friends, maybe once or twice. You know what they haven't given up? That's right, alcohol. Alcohol is the drug of choice for most people. And it is the most violent drug on earth. 40% of all murders are alcohol related. Plus, alcohol is much more addicting that pot. It leads to obesity, liver disease, heart disease, and because of its violent nature it leads to the breakup of families. Pot does not do this, although for those who really do abuse it, it can lead to lung problems after a life-time of smoking too much of it, but nicotine does a better job at that.

Fell better?
First, the report seems to be with people self-identifying the distinction between abuse and use.
Second, how does one abuse alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, or any other drug? You admit the drug is habit forming, so why split the hair between if the drug is harmful or the habit is? If the habit consumes you, whether it be marijuana, beer, or gambling, does it really matter? If I spend all my money and time on video games or marijuana, is there really a difference in the so-called harm I am doing to myself and others?
Third, why is alcohol violent in nature? If it is because SOME people respond to alcohol violently, how can you sit here and assume that all people respond to marijuana universally the same way? Perhaps there are some that can be addicted to it, the habit, or even abuse it.
My work here is, finally, done.
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 8:36:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Fell better? Or feel better?
Let me define abuse for you so that you will understand better. If I pick my nose so hard and so furiously that I have gashes in my nose that need stitching, then I have an abusive nose picking problem. If I continue to pick so that the health care field has to expend a lot of time fixing my nose, then this becomes a problem. If I continue to pick so that my bloody cloth rags fill the street, I am hurting society and pissing a whole lot of people off. If I lose my fingers from nose picking too much, and then go and chop other people's fingers off so that I can still pick, then I have a really serious problem. So you see, my friend, there are different levels of abuse. Generally, in a free society such as America is SUPPOSED to be, we don't pass laws that inhibit people from making their own choices about things. We do, however, pass laws that stop people from doing things that overly harm society, or ruin whole families and the children within those families. This is why heroin, crack, and meth should always be illegal. These drugs are so addicting, that 90% of the people who use them cannot control their use of them, and then that drug uses them.

Alcohol does effect people differently. I was simply explaining that a great percentage of people have violent reactions when they drink. If it was only 1% of drinkers, it might not be a problem, but the real figures show that roughly 33% of habitual drinkers will act out violently at some point in their addiction. Often-times the violence is random. For instance, a sober man catches his wife in bed and in anger leaves the house. A drunk man finds his wife with another man and grabs a butcher knife in the kitchen and stabs both of them. This is what alcohol can do to people. I'm not against drinking by the way. Again, as I stated in my original post, it is not as addicting as the bad drugs.

Marijuana is not addicting. Very little in the way of violence can be attributed to marijuana. People don't fight when they're high. They're less likely to have reckless sex. They are more likely to stay home and not drive while high. In general, they are much more mellow, and very unlikely to break the law. On the level of abuse, it is probably dead last. An ice cream junky probably does more harm with their obesity than a marijuana user.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I don't tip-toe around when people say things that simply aren't true. They are usually saying things based on religious convictions and not based on fact or reality.
At 10/25/2015 11:23:07 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 10/24/2015 5:35:45 PM, j50wells wrote:
Firstly, calling marijuana smoker's abusers is ridiculous, since one correlates abuse with things like heroin, crack, and crystal meth. Calling marijuana smoker's abusers is like calling video geek's abusers. While we all believe that playing video games all day long is a waist of time, we do not consider it a terrible sin or worthy of being called abuse, and neither should we with marijuana smokers.
When are you guys going to go away? Look, friend, it's over. Your lies about marijuana have been exposed. And it's thanks to the internet. People can go online and read and research and find that marijuana is way less harmful that nicotine or alcohol, and less addicting. This is a fact. So when you post stuff on this debate, you are making yourself out to be a complete liar. I'm not afraid of being direct and insulting to liars, because you should be insulted. Lies, especially when they are known lies, should be exposed everywhere they are found.
Here is a list of addictive substances and where they rate on the addictive scale. 1-10....1 is least addictive, 10 is most addictive
10. Heroin, crack, meth
9. nicotine
8. cocaine, powder type
7. alcohol
6. barbiturates
5. caffeine
4. marijuana
3.LSD
2. glue sniffing
1. peyote
Most research shows that video game addiction is right up there with coffee and marijuana. In other words, not really addicting, but more habit forming, kind of like picking your nose.
I have had experience with marijuana. It is habit forming, but not because it's addicting. In other words, quitting is easy because you don't have cravings for it. It's like hunting, or fishing, or skateboarding, of watching movies. We do these things because we enjoy them and they are fun. But we aren't addicted to them. At anytime we can easily throw the skateboard away, turn off the TV, throw the gun in the river along with the fishing pole. And afterwards, we will not have cravings to continue with them. However, because they are enjoyable, we will continue them. Pot is the same way. More often than not people quit pot because it starts to seem like a waist of time, just as we might stop playing video games at some point because we will begin to see that there's much more to life than video games.
Your premise about abuse is absolutely ridiculous. Abusing pot would be hard to do unless you are an absolute loser with nothing else going on in your life.
I'm from Colorado. Pot has been legal here for three years now. I smoked it once in the last three years. So did all my friends, maybe once or twice. You know what they haven't given up? That's right, alcohol. Alcohol is the drug of choice for most people. And it is the most violent drug on earth. 40% of all murders are alcohol related. Plus, alcohol is much more addicting that pot. It leads to obesity, liver disease, heart disease, and because of its violent nature it leads to the breakup of families. Pot does not do this, although for those who really do abuse it, it can lead to lung problems after a life-time of smoking too much of it, but nicotine does a better job at that.

Fell better?
First, the report seems to be with people self-identifying the distinction between abuse and use.
Second, how does one abuse alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, or any other drug? You admit the drug is habit forming, so why split the hair between if the drug is harmful or the habit is? If the habit consumes you, whether it be marijuana, beer, or gambling, does it really matter? If I spend all my money and time on video games or marijuana, is there really a difference in the so-called harm I am doing to myself and others?
Third, why is alcohol violent in nature? If it is because SOME people respond to alcohol violently, how can you sit here and assume that all people respond to marijuana universally the same way? Perhaps there are some that can be addicted to it, the habit, or even abuse it.