Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 5:57:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/25/2015 1:44:31 PM, XLAV wrote:
Is it or is it not?

Is this about your mother restricting your computer time?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2015 6:58:32 PM
At 10/25/2015 5:57:43 PM, Garbanza wrote:
Is it or is it not?

^This
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 7:53:39 PM
Its not a right in the sense that you are entitled to have internet access provided to you.

But internet usage is unavoidably tied to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and freedom of expression which are hallmarks of fair and just societies.

So while internet access is not a right in and of itself, once you have that internet access it is important that your rights be protected while online. Any attempt by governments to censor or control what you have access to (other than content that is violating the rights of others), is an act to restrict your fundamental rights and should be met with utmost public resistance.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:28:21 PM
Is it or is it not?

No.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:41:09 PM
You have to keep in mind that over 4 billion people in the world don't have internet access. But I do believe it should be seen as a human right, people should have the right to access the vast information on the internet. Nobody should be able to deny you internet access and then feed you with false information.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2015 5:54:21 AM
At 10/28/2015 3:28:21 PM, XLAV wrote:
Is it or is it not?

No.

Maybe it should be. There are rights to freedom of movement, association and expression, and maybe it could be argued that the internet is necessary for that but it's more likely to be the right to not be prevented from using the internet, as others have said. But Idk. Suppose, for example, there was a tax on phone lines so that internet access became really expensive and lots of people couldn't afford it. Would this be illegal on human rights grounds? See, I don't think it would be necessarily, although it'd be unpopular.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2015 10:18:41 PM
Jeremy Bentham once said that all talk of rights was 'nonsense on stilts'. This sort of thing makes me more inclined to agree with him.

Why on earth *should* the internet be a right? Is it something that is essential to human existence that would cause great suffering to someone if they lived without it? Of course it isn't! Why then should it be a human right?

Sure, the internet is a great thing. But so are foreign holidays - do we say foreign holidays are a human right? No we do not.

If internet was a human right, then would a parent be accused of violating his kid's human rights if he didn't have wifi or set up an Ethernet cable in his home?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 7:38:20 AM
At 10/29/2015 10:18:41 PM, Philocat wrote:
Jeremy Bentham once said that all talk of rights was 'nonsense on stilts'. This sort of thing makes me more inclined to agree with him.

Why on earth *should* the internet be a right? Is it something that is essential to human existence that would cause great suffering to someone if they lived without it? Of course it isn't! Why then should it be a human right?

Sure, the internet is a great thing. But so are foreign holidays - do we say foreign holidays are a human right? No we do not.

If internet was a human right, then would a parent be accused of violating his kid's human rights if he didn't have wifi or set up an Ethernet cable in his home?

We agree on this too.

I am going to stalk you now and flag up stuff we agree on.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2015 11:51:35 AM
At 10/30/2015 7:38:20 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 10/29/2015 10:18:41 PM, Philocat wrote:

We agree on this too.

I am going to stalk you now and flag up stuff we agree on.

haha, I reckon we have more agreement than it seems. Maybe because we only really clash when we disagree on stuff.