Jump to topic:

Homeless/Beggars

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 3:54:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The other day I was on a date and a teenager approached us for a dollar, to which we both replied we didn't have. The guy I was with apparently had a problem with the fact that I did have a dollar, I just didn't want to give it to some random I don't know.

To be honest, when people approach me for money, I either ignore them or tell them "Sorry, no" and keep it moving. As much as I'd love to, I literally have no pity for homeless people or beggars and a part of me feels this makes me a horrible person.

What is your stance on homeless people and beggars? If you have money and someone asks you for only a dollar, would you give it?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 3:56:29 PM
It depends on the person I suppose. I know many of these people just want money for drugs. I'm not one to want to support somebody's addiction.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:00:41 PM
I give money to homeless/beggars all the time. I always have a bunch of change in the center console of my car from change I get from fast-food restaurants, etc. and give them about 75 cents, or if they ask for a dollar, I give them that.

I don't think any homeless person chooses such a lifestyle and I hardly think that they're lazy as they have to constantly find ways to survive daily and sleep in unbearable conditions every night, so it's courteous to give them a bit of change to help them out to get food or a drink, or alcohol if that floats their boat.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:01:22 PM
At 9/22/2010 3:56:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It depends on the person I suppose. I know many of these people just want money for drugs. I'm not one to want to support somebody's addiction.

A couple Christmases ago I considered buying $5 Tim Horton's gift cards and giving them out to homeless people in downtown Toronto---that way they'd have to spend the money on food. I don't remember why I decided not to.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:04:19 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:01:22 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

A couple Christmases ago I considered buying $5 Tim Horton's gift cards and giving them out to homeless people in downtown Toronto---that way they'd have to spend the money on food. I don't remember why I decided not to.

That's a good idea actually. If I had the money I would certainly do something like that, or if I felt really kind I would take a homeless person out for lunch. I know of people who have taken homeless people out for lunch. They do really appreciate it in the end.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:04:35 PM

I try to avoid it. However, I've given beggers as much as five bucks before. She was completely scrambled from huffing paint and came up and asked me while I was eating breakfast. I was loaded, so I just gave her the five. She practically RAN with it. ^_^
Yeah, but generally I avoid making eye-contact and if they ask me I just "I'm broke too mate" and the sad thing is it's generally true. :(
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:05:08 PM
At 9/22/2010 3:54:57 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
The other day I was on a date and a teenager approached us for a dollar, to which we both replied we didn't have. The guy I was with apparently had a problem with the fact that I did have a dollar, I just didn't want to give it to some random I don't know.

To be honest, when people approach me for money, I either ignore them or tell them "Sorry, no" and keep it moving. As much as I'd love to, I literally have no pity for homeless people or beggars and a part of me feels this makes me a horrible person.

What is your stance on homeless people and beggars? If you have money and someone asks you for only a dollar, would you give it?

I do all the time. It is hard when your pretty sure their going to blow it on something that probably got them in the place they are now, but in the end, who am I to judge?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:08:15 PM

I've done this too. I started turning around and getting some food and bringing it back by them. But it is discouraging when they decline the food and ask for money instead.

I thought several times about converting/fixing up an old garage on the back side of my property and offering it to homeless people who hold the signs about work and all. I wonder how many would actually take me up on the offer.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:11:50 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:04:35 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I try to avoid it. However, I've given beggers as much as five bucks before. She was completely scrambled from huffing paint and came up and asked me while I was eating breakfast. I was loaded, so I just gave her the five. She practically RAN with it. ^_^
Yeah, but generally I avoid making eye-contact and if they ask me I just "I'm broke too mate" and the sad thing is it's generally true. :(

lol yeah... last year a bunch of kids were walking around my campus, lookng for donations to support their basketball team. I was like "I'm a student?"
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:16:30 PM
I was homeless for a awhile so whenever I see a homeless person (especially youth), I give them what I can. I can't always since I barely scrape together enough for rent, but usually it's about 2 or 3 dollars.

I tutor the youth downtown, so I stop by my house and make about 20 sandwiches, which I handout to them. And bottled water. I like doing it that way since I know for sure that they're being fed and not buying cigarettes and/or booze.

Give what you can, but you're not required to do so. I don't think it makes you a horrible person at all.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:21:53 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:16:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
I was homeless for a awhile so whenever I see a homeless person (especially youth), I give them what I can. I can't always since I barely scrape together enough for rent, but usually it's about 2 or 3 dollars.

I tutor the youth downtown, so I stop by my house and make about 20 sandwiches, which I handout to them. And bottled water. I like doing it that way since I know for sure that they're being fed and not buying cigarettes and/or booze.

Give what you can, but you're not required to do so. I don't think it makes you a horrible person at all.

Ugh, you're a saint! The thing is, my philosophies and my beliefs should make me more generous... I guess that's where the guilt comes in.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:22:35 PM
I give to homeless people a lot of the time. My sister has said generally that's not a good thing to do because many are poor managers of money and that it's much better to give to a homeless shelter or what not.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:25:37 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:21:53 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

Ugh, you're a saint! The thing is, my philosophies and my beliefs should make me more generous... I guess that's where the guilt comes in.

I am not a saint!

And, even though guilt feels horrible, in a way I'm glad you do feel guilty... because that shows you're empathetic. Saying 'no' does not make you a horrible person so don't feel TOO guilty. Maybe you'll help next time... or the time after that. Who knows? But you genuinely feel like you should, so at one point, you'll help. And that's what matters.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:26:35 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:22:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I give to homeless people a lot of the time. My sister has said generally that's not a good thing to do because many are poor managers of money and that it's much better to give to a homeless shelter or what not.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:46:31 PM
Many people think you ought to, but there's nothing wrong with not doing so.
I know I'm probably hated on, but I can't bring myself to care.
I don't know said person, and I don't have any sort of link to them in any way.
Chances are, they are going to blow the money on drugs when they could be using it to get somewhere.
There are reasons why there are homeless shelters.
I miss the old members.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 5:26:22 PM

Hell no, i would not give my money to a freaking teenager. My money i earned it, tell that teenager to fvck off
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 5:27:29 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:46:31 PM, Atheism wrote:
Many people think you ought to, but there's nothing wrong with not doing so.
I know I'm probably hated on, but I can't bring myself to care.
I don't know said person, and I don't have any sort of link to them in any way.
Chances are, they are going to blow the money on drugs when they could be using it to get somewhere.
There are reasons why there are homeless shelters.

This right here
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 5:35:33 PM
At 9/22/2010 5:26:22 PM, Loserboi wrote:

Hell no, i would not give my money to a freaking teenager. My money i earned it, tell that teenager to fvck off

Teenagers that are homeless usually have been abandoned or abused. And some cities don't offer education programs for the homeless teens, so they can't get a job or finish/start school. I would know; I used to be one. They're still human, dude. Don't you think that's a little insensitive?
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 11:34:44 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:04:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
That's a good idea actually. If I had the money I would certainly do something like that, or if I felt really kind I would take a homeless person out for lunch. I know of people who have taken homeless people out for lunch. They do really appreciate it in the end.

You can get arrested for that. :P yay government!

http://www.koat.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 8:31:58 AM
At 9/22/2010 4:25:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
I am not a saint!

Yeah you are, you just don't know it yet. ;)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 11:27:14 AM
When you give money to beggars, you are essentially buying self-satisfaction. I don't find it good or evil. Oftentimes, I pass by a beggar because I don't feel like I need that self-satisfaction at that particular moment. If, however, I run into a subway performer or group of performers who play a song I appreciate or who demonstrate skill that I believe should be rewarded, I do so.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 11:49:41 AM
I'll give it, maybe more. Idk depends on how they come off to me.

If there are any beggers on this site please note that being a vet does not put you higher rank than any other begger, it just makes you look egotistical and 9/10 of the time changes my mind to <not> give the money. <I just don't like ppl that seem to think higher of themselves.>
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 11:51:42 AM
I think that being a vet definitely puts them in a higher position than other beggars! I'd sooner give money to a vet than to a regular beggar. If he could prove that he's a vet, of course.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 11:54:13 AM

Why not fix up a place and let them stay over? Thats what I'd do if I was poor and wanted to help.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 12:05:51 PM
I dunno, i'm kind of conflicted in all this. I've been told that it's bad for me as a person to pretend they don't exist and that i should never treat someone as a non-person. There was a time when i was very good at that. I have given some money, and just thought it a waste, and other times i would just say "sorry". When i go to Central America and there are children, not teens, but children, i tend to be far more generous.

One day in Granada Nicaragua there was a very arrogant woman shooing away the poor children. She was pretty awful. I looked at my partner and he was really upset by what he saw, and he said to me that he was one of those children once. He was selling watermelon in the streets so that his family could survive another day. When we go there now we try to help out as best we can, I bring lots of school supplies to the villages, but it was pointed out to me by someone at home that i was just feeding my ego.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 12:14:41 PM
At 9/23/2010 11:49:41 AM, lovelife wrote:
I'll give it, maybe more. Idk depends on how they come off to me.

If there are any beggers on this site please note that being a vet does not put you higher rank than any other begger, it just makes you look egotistical and 9/10 of the time changes my mind to <not> give the money. <I just don't like ppl that seem to think higher of themselves.>

I never pictured our community as a bunch of post-war hobos but hey, who knows...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 12:16:39 PM
At 9/23/2010 11:51:42 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I think that being a vet definitely puts them in a higher position than other beggars! I'd sooner give money to a vet than to a regular beggar. If he could prove that he's a vet, of course.

You obviously have a high-regard for our armed services Kleptin.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 12:18:30 PM
At 9/23/2010 11:27:14 AM, Kleptin wrote:
When you give money to beggars, you are essentially buying self-satisfaction. I don't find it good or evil. Oftentimes, I pass by a beggar because I don't feel like I need that self-satisfaction at that particular moment. If, however, I run into a subway performer or group of performers who play a song I appreciate or who demonstrate skill that I believe should be rewarded, I do so.

Nothing like a fresh blast of moral relativity to stimulate the nerves... Of course you could just slit the beggar's throat and possibly feel a little better, although if he is a vet (and can prove it) that might be worth sparing him.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 12:29:45 PM
At 9/23/2010 12:05:51 PM, innomen wrote:
I dunno, i'm kind of conflicted in all this. I've been told that it's bad for me as a person to pretend they don't exist and that i should never treat someone as a non-person. There was a time when i was very good at that. I have given some money, and just thought it a waste, and other times i would just say "sorry". When i go to Central America and there are children, not teens, but children, i tend to be far more generous.

One day in Granada Nicaragua there was a very arrogant woman shooing away the poor children. She was pretty awful. I looked at my partner and he was really upset by what he saw, and he said to me that he was one of those children once. He was selling watermelon in the streets so that his family could survive another day. When we go there now we try to help out as best we can, I bring lots of school supplies to the villages, but it was pointed out to me by someone at home that i was just feeding my ego.

You're bringing up a good point of morality here. You have identified pride as a negative thing, which is a good first step, however you are now confused as to where the distinction lies. I hope I can help you find that point, and I believe I have a precise answer for you. Pride is the cardinal vice, and is the root of all vice so you are correct in being evasive with it. However there are obviously positive aspects of pride (e.g., being proud of your son in little league). So where is the disconnect?

The answer is your intentions. Pride as a result (i.e., feeling proud about helping the poor) is positive. The rub comes when you analyze your intent. You are acting immorally if you find that you are bringing supplies down there due to the fact that you are seeking to feel good about yourself. This is somewhat dicey, but it is an important distinction to make if one is going to be morally successful. If you are bringing down the supplies to help the children, you are acting with goodness. If you are bringing down the supplies because you find it makes you feel good about yourself, you are doomed to degrade into immoral actions. This (latter) type of person is the snob; the cavalier authoritarian who believes he or she is superior in quality. The fact is, as you obviously understand, that you are not any better than those children just because you are more productive and have more resources to show for it. In conclusion, I would analyze your intentions and then bring as much stuff down there as you want with the intent of the children in mind and not your own benefit.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 1:17:20 PM
I was in Seattle for a night a couple weeks ago, I was ready to retire to the hotel for the night but i had the munchies so i stopped at the only open place (taco bell) and a teenage girl asked me for a dollar, i didn't have one so i asked what she wanted and she just wanted something from taco bell so i ordered it for her and put it on my card along with my food. So yes, on occasion i will. I prefer to buy them food though so i know what the money is going towards.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?