Jump to topic:

Alimony

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:19:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I do not understand Alimony. Why should a person have be forced to keep supporting someone they are no longer married to? In a divorce if your spouse makes less than you she is still entitled to half of your possessions after the divorce. Half is still not enough? They require alimony AND sometimes child support why?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:20:51 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:19:41 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I do not understand Alimony. Why should a person have be forced to keep supporting someone they are no longer married to? In a divorce if your spouse makes less than you she is still entitled to half of your possessions after the divorce. Half is still not enough? They require alimony AND sometimes child support why?

Dirty stinking lawyers.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:22:00 PM

The child support I can see. Maybe a bit of alimony to help her on her way. But not if she re marries or cohabitation.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 4:22:34 PM

Because when women are our equals, they become our superiors.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 5:00:39 PM
At 9/22/2010 4:22:00 PM, jharry wrote:

The child support I can see. Maybe a bit of alimony to help her on her way. But not if she re marries or cohabitation.

I thought if they remarry the paying person no longer has to pay alimony
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:25:22 PM
At 9/22/2010 5:00:39 PM, Loserboi wrote:

Yeah, they're not required anymore by law.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:27:12 PM
The concept was this: Marriage was a promise that a man would support a woman. By divorcing her, the woman loses the life that she was accustomed to. Without alimony, she's essentially homeless, because she probably gave up her plans in order to care for the household, raise children, etc.

That was the rationale back when alimony wasn't an antiquated piece of garbage.

Nowadays, I think even men get alimony. I would just as soon see the thing abolished, I think it's sexist.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:34:29 PM
At 9/22/2010 7:27:12 PM, Kleptin wrote:
The concept was this: Marriage was a promise that a man would support a woman. By divorcing her, the woman loses the life that she was accustomed to. Without alimony, she's essentially homeless, because she probably gave up her plans in order to care for the household, raise children, etc.

Nowadays, I think even men get alimony. I would just as soon see the thing abolished, I think it's sexist.

I wish they would too. I would give my wife extra money until she got on her feet anyway, but what judges and lawyers do with it now is a sin.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:36:39 PM
At 9/22/2010 7:25:22 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 9/22/2010 5:00:39 PM, Loserboi wrote:

Yeah, they're not required anymore by law.

Wasn't really talking about law.I would help her out even if I didn't have to. In Alabama if she even lives with another guy alimony ends, I love this State.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:38:14 PM
At 9/22/2010 7:34:29 PM, jharry wrote:

I wish they would too. I would give my wife extra money until she got on her feet anyway, but what judges and lawyers do with it now is a sin.

Exactly. If a divorce really does happen, it's likely that it's no one's fault. Only a coldhearted SOB would dump his ex-wife with nothing. I'd likely remain friends with someone I loved enough to marry if it really didn't work out.

Lawyers get a cut of it, don't they? I should have been a lawyer >.>
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:54:10 PM
At 9/22/2010 7:38:14 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 9/22/2010 7:34:29 PM, jharry wrote:

Exactly. If a divorce really does happen, it's likely that it's no one's fault. Only a coldhearted SOB would dump his ex-wife with nothing. I'd likely remain friends with someone I loved enough to marry if it really didn't work out.

Lawyers get a cut of it, don't they? I should have been a lawyer >.>

I know they get paid for the case and/or the settlement (if they win) I don't think they get anything after that though.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 4:11:16 PM
I do not understand Alimony. Why should a person have be forced to keep supporting someone they are no longer married to? In a divorce if your spouse makes less than you she is still entitled to half of your possessions after the divorce. Half is still not enough? They require alimony AND sometimes child support why?:

It's a throwback from an earlier time where women were screwed without their husband's support. But since equal rights now exist, it's a backwards system that extorts money. Funny thing that feminists don't rail against it. If I were a woman I'd find it as insulting as I find Affirmative Action. Oh, so now I need a leg up because I'm just a stupid woman?

*Hmmmm... Affirmative Action thread? I'm all over it!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)