Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 10:58:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
No, it shouldn't be legal.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 10:59:37 PM
At 11/8/2015 10:58:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Hello, you've been kicked out of the Conservative party. Please mail in your license. GG.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 11:02:43 PM
At 11/8/2015 10:59:37 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 11/8/2015 10:58:32 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Hello, you've been kicked out of the Conservative party. Please mail in your license. GG.

Lol... Good one. But really, I think it's *more* conservative (by theory) to be against the DP.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 11:05:00 PM

Besides, my stance is religious, not political. :)
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 11:06:21 PM
At 11/8/2015 11:05:00 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

As long as you can justify any religious position secularly in terms of making it legal or not (separation of church and state), that's fine.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 11:14:20 PM
At 11/8/2015 11:06:21 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 11/8/2015 11:05:00 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

As long as you can justify any religious position secularly in terms of making it legal or not (separation of church and state), that's fine.

nac :)
EverlastingMoment
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 7:14:26 PM
At 10/28/2015 8:18:14 AM, logical-master123 wrote:
should it?

My country actually legalized the death penalty recently, I honestly wouldn't be an advocate for it, but there are obvious improvements crime wise that have been seen after they changed the law.

Then again, it is a developing country, in first world countries honestly, you're better off without it.
komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 7:30:05 PM
should it?

Waste of money, should be reserved for only those who are a threat to others even in the highest security prisons.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 1:52:25 AM
should it?

In what country. Every country is evolved to a different level. The USA is an enigma though. It has it's wonderful constitution and bill of rights but they execute, I think, the second most each year, after the godless communist nation of China. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Canada had it's last execution in 1962. Saudi Arabia likes to be an example for ISIS, by beheading people in public. The big question is.... What do you kill people for? In Saudi Arabia and China, it's for much less than in the U.S. Does that make the U.S. more moral? In China they execute Falun Gong, innocent meditation practitioners and political prisoners and then send the bill for the bullet to their families. That DOES make the Chinese government immoral, at least in my mind. Canadians, along with their allies used to execute soldiers for running away from the hellish battles in WWI. Who wouldn't want to run away. That was cruel. Canada is much more evolved today. My father used to say to me. " Son, if you are willing to pull the lever or the trigger yourself then it's ok to believe in capital punishment but if not, then don't support it. Good advice.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:15:33 AM
Yes, it should be legal. The process in the US needs to be changed and it should probably be reserved for only very serious offenses but I would hate to see it abolished.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:26:26 AM
There are a few reasons I think it should not be practiced at all.

1. It costs too much money. Not only do are the drugs we use obscure and expensive, court costs also are hundreds of thousands of dollars per case.

2. It's blind retribution. If you really want to "punish" someone, giving them an easy death (or even a botched one that drags out a while) is far more "forgiving" than having someone sit in a jail cell for the rest of their lives. In a world where we don't put certain criminals to death, there's a possibility that they suffer the effects of being in prison for many years, and maybe eventually feel remorse. The realization of what they did would be far worse than any death penalty.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:27:57 AM
At 11/12/2015 2:26:26 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

1. It costs too much money. Not only do are the drugs we use obscure and expensive, court costs also are hundreds of thousands of dollars per case.

2. It's blind retribution. If you really want to "punish" someone, giving them an easy death (or even a botched one that drags out a while) is far more "forgiving" than having someone sit in a jail cell for the rest of their lives. In a world where we don't put certain criminals to death, there's a possibility that they suffer the effects of being in prison for many years, and maybe eventually feel remorse. The realization of what they did would be far worse than any death penalty.

And I would really like to be able to understand the thought processes of criminals and even terrorists. How can we do that if we put them to death?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:35:54 AM
should it?

No.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:41:06 AM
I believe it can be a greater punishment to keep someone behind bars for life, as log as prison life is not too pleasant for them. The Creator said "Though shalt not kill". What does Christian USA say? Kill or not Kill? Are you vengeful killers or do you follow the laws of your God?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 12:01:24 PM
At 11/12/2015 2:27:57 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And what about the costs associated with food and medical help for violent unrepentant killers that hurt guards or other prisoners?
And, the court case cost are largely irrelevant, as an appeal is an appeal. I don't see why a death row's automatic appeal is any more expensive than anyone else's appeal.

Why is retribution inherently a bad thing? Your argument is basically punishment, and want more suffering. Why is that better?

And I would really like to be able to understand the thought processes of criminals and even terrorists. How can we do that if we put them to death?

First, people are on death row for years, if not decades. There is time to analyze.
However, why would you believe anything they say? Besides, the thought processes are fairly easy to understand, unless they are crazy or demented, and, again, why should you trust what they say?
My work here is, finally, done.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 3:04:14 PM
At 11/12/2015 12:01:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/12/2015 2:27:57 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And what about the costs associated with food and medical help for violent unrepentant killers that hurt guards or other prisoners?
And, the court case cost are largely irrelevant, as an appeal is an appeal. I don't see why a death row's automatic appeal is any more expensive than anyone else's appeal.

Their cases last longer.

Why is retribution inherently a bad thing? Your argument is basically punishment, and want more suffering. Why is that better?

I'm not in favor of setting out for the most retribution possible. Personally, I'm of the opinion that penal systems ought to favor rehabilitation. But, many people who want the DP want it for retribution, and that's my counter to it.

First, people are on death row for years, if not decades. There is time to analyze.
However, why would you believe anything they say? Besides, the thought processes are fairly easy to understand, unless they are crazy or demented, and, again, why should you trust what they say?

Some people are. And their processes might be noted, but to say we who do not make a living from studying psychology actually understand people who commit mass crimes is a huge overestimation of our abilities.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SocialTeacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 2:15:18 PM
I'm against, but for which country do you speak ? If the wrong is really strong, spend all your lifetime in prison is really worse than be killed instantly. The anger of people against terrorists, for example, make often them say: " we should kill them !". But, to my mind, that's not a answer....
Well, if we broad our reflexion, some mistakes could be made by the justice... Do you can bring the deads back to life ?
I'm ready to hear the other arguments, and if we look to the United states, a democratic country who has legalized the death penalty, the justice is well....
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 4:51:22 PM
should it?

No... It has no real positive aspects, and a number of negatives. No good.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 6:02:35 PM
Why is the death penalty is government sanctioned killing but inprisonment isn't government sanctioned kidnapping?
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 7:06:04 PM
At 11/12/2015 2:15:33 AM, thett3 wrote:
Yes, it should be legal. The process in the US needs to be changed and it should probably be reserved for only very serious offenses but I would hate to see it abolished.

I feel conservatives are wrong to believe it should be legal... :/
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 9:10:31 PM
At 11/25/2015 7:06:04 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Why?

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 10:58:31 PM
At 11/25/2015 9:10:31 PM, Maccabee wrote:

Why?

It's really not a deterrent, it's inhumane, and it's killing.... I don't know, I just feel there's a lot wrong with the DP, mainly on religious grounds.
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 11:05:03 PM
At 11/25/2015 10:58:31 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Why?

It's really not a deterrent, it's inhumane, and it's killing.... I don't know, I just feel there's a lot wrong with the DP, mainly on religious grounds.

I think it's a strong deterrent especially if its a public execution. Also I think it's inhumane for the criminal to miser someone. Plus if the death penalty is killing isn't the prison sentence is kidnapping? I'm a strong Christian and I think the Bible is for the death penalty.

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2015 11:07:21 PM
At 11/25/2015 11:05:03 PM, Maccabee wrote:

Why?

I think it's a strong deterrent especially if its a public execution. Also I think it's inhumane for the criminal to miser someone. Plus if the death penalty is killing isn't the prison sentence is kidnapping? I'm a strong Christian and I think the Bible is for the death penalty.

Yeah, it's a complex issue in the Bible.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:03:50 AM

Why?

I think it's a strong deterrent especially if its a public execution.

Proper application of the death penalty would almost certainly have a deterrent effect. I don't really think the system in the US has much of a deterrent effect, and to the extent that it does it's only because criminals don't really know how the system works lol.

Also I think it's inhumane for the criminal to miser someone. Plus if the death penalty is killing isn't the prison sentence is kidnapping? I'm a strong Christian and I think the Bible is for the death penalty.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2015 12:28:30 AM
At 11/26/2015 12:03:50 AM, thett3 wrote:

Why?

I think it's a strong deterrent especially if its a public execution.

Proper application of the death penalty would almost certainly have a deterrent effect. I don't really think the system in the US has much of a deterrent effect, and to the extent that it does it's only because criminals don't really know how the system works lol.

That I agree with. It's not the punishment, but its the system.
Also I think it's inhumane for the criminal to miser* someone. Plus if the death penalty is killing isn't the prison sentence is kidnapping? I'm a strong Christian and I think the Bible is for the death penalty.

Murder*