Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Affirmative Action

PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 4:13:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Affirmative Action, though well-intentioned, is simply the proliferation of racism. How? Because it still is based entirely on the one thing that it's supposed to allay -- race.

Your thoughts?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 4:16:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Affirmative action is a joke. If it's going to be used then the NBA has some big dues to pay...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 4:17:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/23/2010 4:16:12 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Affirmative action is a joke. If it's going to be used then the NBA has some big dues to pay...:

Indeed
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 4:44:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/23/2010 4:16:12 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
Affirmative action is a joke. If it's going to be used then the NBA has some big dues to pay...

Haha
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 5:37:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/23/2010 5:05:15 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/23/2010 4:13:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Affirmative Action, though well-intentioned, is simply the proliferation of racism. How? Because it still is based entirely on the one thing that it's supposed to allay -- race.

Your thoughts?

How is Affirmative Action well-intentioned?

because its supposed to counteract the wrongs perpetuated against minorities by bigoted people. such disadvantages, being completely out of control of the person upon whom they are heaped, are considered unjust. you have to admit, whatever else you believe, that being worse off materially because a large enough contingent of the population is unfairly prejudiced against you sucks. the intention is to mitigate any suffering that might cause. any possible method of preventing such harms with any kind of guarantee (at least that i can think of) is also unjust so ultimately fails. you can't claim that theres nothing wrong with racism though.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2010 9:34:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
haha i remember in middle school a lot of my friends were afraid they wouldn't get into lowell cause there was a quota of what percentage of students could be asian. and i grew up in the sunset, all my classmates were asian :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 4:04:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/23/2010 9:34:17 PM, belle wrote:
haha i remember in middle school a lot of my friends were afraid they wouldn't get into lowell cause there was a quota of what percentage of students could be asian. and i grew up in the sunset, all my classmates were asian :P

Asian parents always push for their children to go to lowell. Sunset there are only asians living there, I rarely see any whites or blacks at all in the sunset. Have you been to irving its like chinatown
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 11:34:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/23/2010 5:05:15 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/23/2010 4:13:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Affirmative Action, though well-intentioned, is simply the proliferation of racism. How? Because it still is based entirely on the one thing that it's supposed to allay -- race.

Your thoughts?

How is Affirmative Action well-intentioned?:

By trying to level the playing field for minorities, but it doesn't work.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 11:58:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hire whoever is best for the job. Simple. However, if a white person and a minority both apply for the same position and have identical resumes, I would hire the minority.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 12:13:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Affirmative action is a week, half-attempt at counteracting the repercussions of established societal characteristics that larger, influential entities like the government have no interest in correcting.

In other words, the underlying premise for Affirmative Action is precisely as that other guy explained it--a means to counteract an economic system with an overwhelming influence from bigoted people to make use of the human resources that lay in an ever-growing "minority" population. Affirmative Action would be entirely unnecessary if society did two things:

1. Eliminate "racial" delineation. Every major entity influenced or run by local, state, or federal governments, including hospitals, DMVs, colleges, loan applications, voting ballots, etc., request racial identification.

2. Improve education. This is twofold. First, there needs to be a marked improvement in pedagogy. American secondary schools are a joke. Also, there needs to be a shift in social values in general. If kids don't perceive studying as something positive, *obviously*, they aren't going to study. Moreover, there needs to be excellent schools in every single neighborhood.

Alas, there are no quick fixes.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 7:19:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/24/2010 11:58:56 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hire whoever is best for the job. Simple. However, if a white person and a minority both apply for the same position and have identical resumes, I would hire the minority.

why? I honestly would hire the white person.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 7:27:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/24/2010 7:19:32 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 9/24/2010 11:58:56 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hire whoever is best for the job. Simple. However, if a white person and a minority both apply for the same position and have identical resumes, I would hire the minority.

why? I honestly would hire the white person.

Any reason out of two people of equal qualifications that you would hire the white person over the minority?
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 7:49:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/24/2010 7:27:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/24/2010 7:19:32 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 9/24/2010 11:58:56 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Hire whoever is best for the job. Simple. However, if a white person and a minority both apply for the same position and have identical resumes, I would hire the minority.

why? I honestly would hire the white person.

Any reason out of two people of equal qualifications that you would hire the white person over the minority?

People put more trust in the white man.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 7:52:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I mean it is just seems like good business sense to hire the person of the majority race if said race was white in a area. People are more comfortable around their own race.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 8:22:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/24/2010 7:49:30 PM, Loserboi wrote:

People put more trust in the white man.

By not hiring the minority you're not giving the public any chance to grow to trust minority groups. That is, almost in a way encouraging racism.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2010 8:33:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/24/2010 8:22:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/24/2010 7:49:30 PM, Loserboi wrote:

People put more trust in the white man.

By not hiring the minority you're not giving the public any chance to grow to trust minority groups. That is, almost in a way encouraging racism.

Not like my entire staff is going to be white. like if i had like 8 white guys working there already i would then hire the minority. But it is not my responsibility as a business owner to help the public progress.