Jump to topic:

Would you kill an armed burglar?

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 9:21:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is mostly for non-americans. 100% of all US people I've asked said they'd, even if he was unarmed, shoot him repeatedly in the head with a shotgun.

Would you kill a burglar armed with a handgun?

Here in the UK we're allowed to use "reasonable force", which would be, if he head a knife, to also use a knife to severely wound or kill him. Then there is "disproportionate force" which we can use: using a gun against a burglar with a knife, or kill him quite violently (push him out of a window). Then there is grossly disproportionate: with the intent of killing, or if you kill an unconscious or severely wounded/incapacitated burglar. For example, if he was unconscious and you slit his neck.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:33:31 AM
I would kill an unarmed burglar. I live In Florida. I love that we can shoot and kill scum of the earth.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:39:42 AM
If there was an invader in my house and he was armed I would shoot to kill without warning. I don't see why anyone wouldn't. I wouldn't want to have to kill him, but an armed robber is a danger to my life and the life of people I care about, and I'm not risking getting into a gunfight with him and losing just because I wanted to give him a warning...he made his choice. Invade someones house with a gun and you sign your own death warrant in my opinion

Unarmed robber I probably wouldn't shoot them
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:17:45 AM
Here is what I would do honest to god.

I would ask him if he would wanted to rob houses together. It is really hard to find good contacts in the criminal underground, so I would just consider it networking.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 3:23:25 PM
I'm an American, but I'd try to kill armed or unarmed. If I can easily overpower an unarmed intruder, I may just torture them for a while, then kill them. I wouldn't even call the cops, I'd just get rid of the body. Nobody could ever place him in my house, unless the forensics team just had pure luck on their side.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 3:53:06 PM
I would avoid direct confrontation if possible. Probably start with a scare tactic if circumstances allowed. But if that doesn't work I'm shooting to kill.

When things escalate to the point of firearms use, life and death are the terms you're working with. I'd prefer not to kill them, but if it came down to it, I would.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:29:30 PM
At 11/5/2015 5:17:45 AM, BlackFlags wrote:

I would ask him if he would wanted to rob houses together. It is really hard to find good contacts in the criminal underground, so I would just consider it networking.

^This
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 11:28:55 PM

OMG yes!

Hey, where are you? We should rob houses together.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 7:46:42 PM
At 11/2/2015 9:21:15 PM, smelisox wrote:
This is mostly for non-americans. 100% of all US people I've asked said they'd, even if he was unarmed, shoot him repeatedly in the head with a shotgun.

Here in the UK we're allowed to use "reasonable force", which would be, if he head a knife, to also use a knife to severely wound or kill him. Then there is "disproportionate force" which we can use: using a gun against a burglar with a knife, or kill him quite violently (push him out of a window). Then there is grossly disproportionate: with the intent of killing, or if you kill an unconscious or severely wounded/incapacitated burglar. For example, if he was unconscious and you slit his neck.

If I thought he was threatening me I would have to but ideally I'd avoid confrontation.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 1:49:00 PM

Quickly.

Here in the UK we're allowed to use "reasonable force", which would be, if he head a knife, to also use a knife to severely wound or kill him.

So you are supposed to fight fair with the person whom has already abandon the law? Why would you ever voluntarily get into an altercation with some one whom has violated the law, is armed, and be expected to fight on their level? That is absurd on any level. It would be like stating that because a robber robbed a bank by use of intimidation and coercion (I will beat you up if you don't empty the register), the police can then only use intimidation and coercion to arrest him.

Then there is "disproportionate force" which we can use: using a gun against a burglar with a knife, or kill him quite violently (push him out of a window). Then there is grossly disproportionate: with the intent of killing, or if you kill an unconscious or severely wounded/incapacitated burglar. For example, if he was unconscious and you slit his neck.

I am not attempting to asses the health of some one whom I seem to have incapacitated through their negligence of breaking the law.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Mr_Anderson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2015 3:23:47 AM
At 11/13/2015 6:55:19 PM, smelisox wrote:
And this is why there are daily school shootings kids

They're not daily. They're not even weekly. They're not even bi-monthly.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2015 4:38:17 PM

Damn right.

Networking at its finest.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 3:07:30 AM

Armed burglar then yes,

unarmed, I would just point the gun, and chase him out. If he comes at me, then I might shoot.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 12:34:40 PM
I would tell me wife there is someone here to see her. If he hurts her. I might then shoot him .
Maccabee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 12:46:57 AM
The moment he breaks into my house he has forfeit his right to live. The moment I know he's armed forfeits his chance to live if I see him. I will shoot or beat him until he stops whatever he was doing and either run or fall to the ground.
Scripture, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion, not science

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

"If guns are the cause of crimes then aren't matches the cause of arson?" D. Boys

"If the death penalty is government sanctioned killing then isn't inprisonment is government sanction kidnapping?" D. B

"Why do you trust the government with machine guns but not honest citizens?" D. B

All those who are pro-death (abortion) is already born
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 3:35:10 PM
At 11/5/2015 4:39:42 AM, thett3 wrote:
If there was an invader in my house and he was armed I would shoot to kill without warning. I don't see why anyone wouldn't. I wouldn't want to have to kill him, but an armed robber is a danger to my life and the life of people I care about, and I'm not risking getting into a gunfight with him and losing just because I wanted to give him a warning...he made his choice. Invade someones house with a gun and you sign your own death warrant in my opinion

Unarmed robber I probably wouldn't shoot them

This.
But if they came at me while unarmed with the intent to harm me, I would open fire.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 12:40:33 AM
Life is not something that you have the choice of taking. Life is precious and should be protected under all circumstances.

With that said, you have to be rational. If there is a burglar robbing others and breaking into peoples' homes, to shoot them or at least get them captured would be a service to both yourself and the community.

If they are armed, they are dead. No questions, no hesitation. If I see a lethal weapon, or a weapon at all, whether it is a crowbar or a knife, they are dead.

If there is no weapon, which is highly unlikely, as to break into most people's homes you need some form of weapon to pry the door or window open, then I would try to be diplomatic. With our current criminal justice system, you could get sent to prison or be sued for shooting someone who didn't pose a threat to you but was trying to steal from you. I would most likely point my gun at the man or woman and force them on the ground, and then I would call the police.

But, if the individual has a weapon, like I said previously, I will empty my entire magazine into their chest. My life and well being is more important to me than that of a thief who cannot comprehend the basic human right to property.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 8:58:50 PM

If I had a certain chance of killing him and not screwing up and getting myself killed, I would kill the armed burglar.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 11:46:47 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/5/2015 3:23:25 PM, Wylted wrote:
I'm an American, but I'd try to kill armed or unarmed. If I can easily overpower an unarmed intruder, I may just torture them for a while, then kill them.

I've thought about situations where I'd torture an armed intruder if one broke into my house, mostly because of the show Dexter. I think it'd be interesting to experience the raw power and control that one would feel in that kind of situation. I've got multiple machetes but my roommate has a Mossberg 500 chainsaw among other guns, so hopefully I'd get to him before my roommate blows him in half.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:24:35 PM
At 12/1/2015 12:40:33 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Life is not something that you have the choice of taking. Life is precious and should be protected under all circumstances.

With that said, you have to be rational. If there is a burglar robbing others and breaking into peoples' homes, to shoot them or at least get them captured would be a service to both yourself and the community.

If they are armed, they are dead. No questions, no hesitation. If I see a lethal weapon, or a weapon at all, whether it is a crowbar or a knife, they are dead.

If there is no weapon, which is highly unlikely, as to break into most people's homes you need some form of weapon to pry the door or window open, then I would try to be diplomatic. With our current criminal justice system, you could get sent to prison or be sued for shooting someone who didn't pose a threat to you but was trying to steal from you. I would most likely point my gun at the man or woman and force them on the ground, and then I would call the police.

But, if the individual has a weapon, like I said previously, I will empty my entire magazine into their chest. My life and well being is more important to me than that of a thief who cannot comprehend the basic human right to property.

His company collapsed because of rich capitalists getting too many debts. His wife could not get treatment for her cancer, as they no longer had any income, and died. Ending up on the streets, to avoid anything happening to his 3 year old daughter, he gave her up for adoption, for her own sake. He then spent a month either waking up at 6 AM getting chased out of where he was sleeping or 3 AM getting raped.

He gets desperate, and finds a knife in a bin. He decides that he'll rob someone, and give all the money to his daughter so that she can lead a better life. He breaks into your house. As he tries to explain and say he'll leave, throwing his knife to the floor, you take a 20 bullet gun and shoot every single one of them in his chest. As he writhes on the floor, he knows the cycle will repeat.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 3:05:36 PM
At 12/8/2015 12:24:35 PM, smelisox wrote:

His company collapsed because of rich capitalists getting too many debts. His wife could not get treatment for her cancer, as they no longer had any income, and died. Ending up on the streets, to avoid anything happening to his 3 year old daughter, he gave her up for adoption, for her own sake. He then spent a month either waking up at 6 AM getting chased out of where he was sleeping or 3 AM getting raped.

He gets desperate, and finds a knife in a bin. He decides that he'll rob someone, and give all the money to his daughter so that she can lead a better life. He breaks into your house. As he tries to explain and say he'll leave, throwing his knife to the floor, you take a 20 bullet gun and shoot every single one of them in his chest. As he writhes on the floor, he knows the cycle will repeat.

Then I'd let him go, but I still would call the police. There is no excuse for theft.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Nonsense
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 10:26:38 PM

No, I would put my hands up and suck politely.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 10:43:48 PM
At 12/8/2015 11:46:47 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I'm an American, but I'd try to kill armed or unarmed. If I can easily overpower an unarmed intruder, I may just torture them for a while, then kill them.

I've thought about situations where I'd torture an armed intruder if one broke into my house, mostly because of the show Dexter. I think it'd be interesting to experience the raw power and control that one would feel in that kind of situation. I've got multiple machetes but my roommate has a Mossberg 500 chainsaw among other guns, so hopefully I'd get to him before my roommate blows him in half.

I have a baby in the house since I posted that. I'd be even more ruthless now. I'm extremely protective.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 12:16:33 AM
At 12/8/2015 10:43:48 PM, Wylted wrote:

I have a baby in the house since I posted that. I'd be even more ruthless now. I'm extremely protective.

I'd be too.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:10:35 AM

I wonder how the child will be raised if you start murdering people.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 12:41:07 PM
At 12/8/2015 12:24:35 PM, smelisox wrote:

So he decides to take from ME rather than "rich capitalists getting too many debts"? He decides to take from ME rather than the docs or insurance companies that decided "His wife could not get treatment for her cancer"?
He decides to take from ME rather than robbing a grocery store for food directly?

He can some how prove this story, or I am supposed to believe it whole cloth?

Hm.

No.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 2:37:07 PM
At 12/9/2015 6:10:35 AM, smelisox wrote:

Don't be an idiot.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 4:16:13 PM
At 12/9/2015 2:37:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Don't be an idiot.

Says the murderer?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 4:18:44 PM
At 12/9/2015 4:16:13 PM, smelisox wrote:
At 12/9/2015 2:37:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

Don't be an idiot.

Says the murderer?

I wonder how your child will be raised since you won't defend your family from armed intruders. Oh that's right, they'll be dead.