another stupid question

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:17:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My last stupid question was pegging. Here is another stupid question

If people have a problem with women getting abortions because it kills a fetus which people see as a unborn baby. Why don't they try to ban men from masterbating? everytime we jerk it we basically kill like millions of possible babies.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:22:47 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:17:28 PM, Loserboi wrote:

If people have a problem with women getting abortions because it kills a fetus which people see as a unborn baby. Why don't they try to ban men from masterbating? everytime we jerk it we basically kill like millions of possible babies.

cause a sperm isn't a genetically distinct individual like an embryo is. its only got half a complement of genes. plus they are basically made to be expendable. even when conception happens millions of sperm go to waste...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:25:18 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:22:47 PM, belle wrote:

cause a sperm isn't a genetically distinct individual like an embryo is. its only got half a complement of genes. plus they are basically made to be expendable.

A petri dish is a petri dish.

even when conception happens millions of sperm go to waste...

Exactly. That's a point for abortion, not against.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:25:44 PM

cause a sperm isn't a genetically distinct individual like an embryo is. its only got half a complement of genes.
having half as much as another means that it's not "Distinct?" This does not follow.

plus they are basically made to be expendable.
Nature is not teleological.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:25:58 PM

A lot of Theists do believe in banning masturbation for this exact reason.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:29:59 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:25:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

cause a sperm isn't a genetically distinct individual like an embryo is. its only got half a complement of genes.
having half as much as another means that it's not "Distinct?" This does not follow.

its not a distinct individual. without the other half its just a truncated version of the father's genome.

meh. the body invests very little energy in producing each individual sperm and yet makes lots of them. this is the male reproductive strategy. on the other hand, women invest a lot more resources in each egg (and each child if she gets pregnant). its not really a statement of the ultimate goals of nature so much as the evolutionary logic of varying reproductive strategies.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:31:46 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:25:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
A petri dish is a petri dish.

i don't follow.

even when conception happens millions of sperm go to waste...

Exactly. That's a point for abortion, not against.

first off, i am not against abortion. but secondly, the idea is that even if you do "everything right" many sperm go to waste. since there is no possible way that human beings can avoid wasting sperm without going extinct, it makes little sense to endorse a moral prohibition on wasting sperm.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:31:50 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:25:58 PM, tvellalott wrote:

A lot of Theists do believe in banning masturbation for this exact reason.

lmao. Seriously?
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:34:17 PM
Sperm is (typically) limitless for males. We produce millions every day, and actually, they say that if you don't renew your supply and they get old, you can fertilize an egg and end up with a defective baby. I don't have a source right now, but I have heard this. And by this standard, there should be a problem every time a woman menstruates right? Every time they are getting ready, we need to send some male to bang them and try to conceive? Cuz an egg is wasted at every menstrual cycle.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:37:47 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:29:59 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/29/2010 10:25:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

its not a distinct individual. without the other half its just a truncated version of the father's genome.
um, hello, if it's half of something, then in that respect it's the OTHER thing that is not "individual"-- indeed, that has proven itself to be dividual. :P

meh. the body invests very little energy in producing each individual sperm and yet makes lots of them. this is the male reproductive strategy
This is the reason such males as have reproduced have done so, but it is not a "strategy."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:38:58 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:34:17 PM, m93samman wrote:
Sperm is (typically) limitless for males. We produce millions every day, and actually, they say that if you don't renew your supply and they get old, you can fertilize an egg and end up with a defective baby. I don't have a source right now, but I have heard this. And by this standard, there should be a problem every time a woman menstruates right? Every time they are getting ready, we need to send some male to bang them and try to conceive? Cuz an egg is wasted at every menstrual cycle.

Lol I used to believe that.

Anyway no neither masturbation nor abortion [early enough that the embryo cannot feel] should be banned, and neither should any type of sex involving two consenting adults.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:42:55 PM
One teaspoon of sperm could repopulate the entire Earth.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:43:57 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:37:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
um, hello, if it's half of something, then in that respect it's the OTHER thing that is not "individual"-- indeed, that has proven itself to be dividual. :P

lol. don't be such an arse. "an individual" refers here to a distinct person or human being not anything "thing" that can be considered distinct from any other thing.

This is the reason such males as have reproduced have done so, but it is not a "strategy."

again with the being an arse. this is the accepted terminology used in biology to talk about such issues. yes, of course, its acknowledged that there is no actual planning or strategizing taking place, but by taking an intentional stance with regard to the workings of evolution biologists save themselves having to go to torturous roundabout efforts to get their point across. just like in chemistry when scientists say an atom "wants" to have its valence electron shell full... everyone knows atoms don't really want things, but its a convenient way for us to talk about it.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:45:59 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:38:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

...? You don't believe that an egg is expelled during a cycle?
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:50:03 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:45:59 PM, m93samman wrote:
At 9/29/2010 10:38:58 PM, lovelife wrote:

...? You don't believe that an egg is expelled during a cycle?

Lol, I used to believe that every cycle that everyone has is a baby dying. I was like 6 when I thought that tho.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:50:46 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:48:54 PM, TPF wrote:
I think Loser boi is the best troll on these boards.

No one can hate him tho cause he's a cool troll, and not really annoying at all.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:52:42 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:50:03 PM, lovelife wrote:

Lol, I used to believe that every cycle that everyone has is a baby dying. I was like 6 when I thought that tho.

Lol, I never really had a chance to believe anything like that. I lived a pretty sheltered life and hit puberty pretty young.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:54:11 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:52:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Lol, I never really had a chance to believe anything like that. I lived a pretty sheltered life and hit puberty pretty young.

Prob not as early as me. They have catscans of me wacking it in the womb
:
:
TPF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 10:57:59 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:54:57 PM, Loserboi wrote:

i have less than 400 posts man...

So?
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2010 11:02:28 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:57:59 PM, TPF wrote:
At 9/29/2010 10:54:57 PM, Loserboi wrote:

i have less than 400 posts man...

So?

meaning i dont even posts that much... lol it is shocking that you notice me, most people still don't know who i am, and i am a active member
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 3:19:49 PM

If people have a problem with women getting abortions because it kills a fetus which people see as a unborn baby. Why don't they try to ban men from masterbating? everytime we jerk it we basically kill like millions of possible babies.:

Yes, I agree, that is a stupid question. Why not also attempt to stop a woman's period for the same reason?

The difference lies with FERTILIZATION. When you eat a chicken egg, you aren't eating an unhatched, baby chicken. You're actually eating a chicken's period. Yum...

Fertilization is the beginning of a new life, not merely spermatozoa, not merely an ovum. It's when they conjoin does NEW life begin. That's an actual scientific fact. What that means to you from a moral point of view is entirely up to you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 3:27:12 PM
At 9/29/2010 10:54:11 PM, m93samman wrote:
At 9/29/2010 10:52:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Prob not as early as me. They have catscans of me wacking it in the womb
Lol. Just because you masturbate does not mean you have hit puberty.
Babies masturbate in the womb, yet they are not yet pubescent.
It is simply human nature to do so.
I miss the old members.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 3:32:23 PM
At 9/30/2010 3:19:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If people have a problem with women getting abortions because it kills a fetus which people see as a unborn baby. Why don't they try to ban men from masterbating? everytime we jerk it we basically kill like millions of possible babies.:

Yes, I agree, that is a stupid question. Why not also attempt to stop a woman's period for the same reason?

The difference lies with FERTILIZATION. When you eat a chicken egg, you aren't eating an unhatched, baby chicken. You're actually eating a chicken's period. Yum...

Fertilization is the beginning of a new life, not merely spermatozoa, not merely an ovum. It's when they conjoin does NEW life begin. That's an actual scientific fact. What that means to you from a moral point of view is entirely up to you.
Not new life. Potential life. And now, you can justify it as such:
Potential life =/= life.
So now the argument against abortion fails in the same respect the argument against masturbation does. They both assume that potential life is equivalent to actual life, which it is not.
I miss the old members.