Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

What's your biggest qualm with society today?

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 9:03:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Society has a lot of problems. I'm interested in hearing people rant on what about it pisses them off the most.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 9:11:52 PM
At 11/28/2015 9:03:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Society has a lot of problems. I'm interested in hearing people rant on what about it pisses them off the most.

How everyone thinks that they are better that one another.
How men are pigs.
When someone says they love you, but their actions prove otherwise.
When someone promises you they will never leave you, and they do.
People who are cocky.
People who despise gay people.
People that play with your emotions.
People that shove their beliefs down your throat.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 11:52:13 PM

General stupidity, incompetence, ignorance and inefficiency.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 12:00:04 AM
The short responses are very...insufficient, from my view.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 12:26:54 AM
At 11/29/2015 12:00:04 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The short responses are very...insufficient, from my view.

I could go on for hours..
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:20:34 AM

The most??

That we have to work purposeless jobs just to live a somewhat decent life in this consumer nation. I'd seriously much more prefer a hunter/gatherer tribal society similar to what the American Indians had.

I mean, seriously, there are so many meaningless jobs out there - yet SOMEONE has to do it if they want to survive. No highschool diploma? Here's a janitors mop. No College Degree? Here's your table section. No Grad degree? Sales! (Obviously these are generalizations but still)... Rarely does someone actually land in a field of work that they are truly 100% passionate about. But back in the day, when all that mattered was securing animals and food, well, seems pretty straight-foward enough.

Obviously the modern comforts we have today are impossible to trade for a tent, but the simplicity of what we needed to survive, versus what we put ourselves through today to survive - well it pisses me off to be frank about it. If anything, life should be easier on all fronts, yet it's not. More and more people are dissatisfied with their jobs, and yet we ALL have to work in some way, shape, or form to survive.

You know what... while we're at it - wassup with our bodies and the human needs for survival. Why the hell couldn't God just make us gain energy from the sun like plants - why do we have to go around wasting time eating stuff. Or sleeping. Why couldn't we have just have no need to sleep? Having to re-charge, and re-fuel... these bodies are outdated! They can be optimized to expand our total time of potential experiences, instead of wasting hours a day eating or sleeping. Why the heck couldn't we have been given the ability to fly?! You know how much travel time we'd save if we could fly?!!

....but I digress.

There's tons I'd rant about, but you just said "the most" as in "one thing". So it'd be the seemingly meaningless jobs we are forced to work just to survive. Obviously the solution is to work hard enough to secure a job in a field you are passionate about, but that's easier said than done in most cases.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:32:42 AM
People that don't use the side walk, which seems to be a big problem in the black community. What the Fvck is with blacks not knowing how to use a sidewalk or what one is for. The black dude in Ferguson, had police attention drawn to him, because he was too stupid to know how to use a sidewalk. The people in my neighborhood who are white, are always walking on the sidewalk, but I have to lay on my horn to get the black people who are walking in the middle of the street to move out of the way.

Do you know they actually created jay walking laws, because blacks don't know how to use the sidewalk. I mean blacks would walk in the middle of the street where cars were driving, and give you the bird for barely missing them, or just generally impede traffic, so they created jay walking laws, to try and deter blacks from impeding traffic.

Also, watch the news. The black lives matter movement is constantly blocking traffic, one way or another by refusing to use sidewalks.

Please black people, learn what a sidewalk is and start using it, instead of impeding traffic. If black lives actually matter, you'll walk in areas safe for pedestrians.

Hey, I just read this story of a black family walking in the middle of the road. The child gets hit by a car and the driver stops, the black people in that neighborhood beat this guy to death, literally. You know what black people, you could avoid the murder charges and your children from being seriously injured, if you just used a bit of common sense, and used a side walk. WTF is wrong with you people?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 6:44:43 AM
People can never get their priorities straight.

Most people spend all of their time on their careers, but also have a burning desire to express their deepest feelings. These things, waiting to be made, but most people would rather get caught up with the mundane daily life - paychecks, and engaging in the chase of stupid sh!t to fill the void in their lives. These things, however, won't ever amount to anything. Most human lives slip by without ever considering things that can give true meaning. But the time where we are free to do what we actually want never comes - we say "I'll do it when I have some free time, and I'm not busy" - yet another year has passed, and the insight of these people was never realized. Perhaps, they wrote a few lines on a notepad, got writers block, and threw it in a trash bin. None too slowly, all the years are gone. But whose fault is it?

Society tells you what you want, and you go after it. We can worry about what car we're driving. But we never dig into what truly gives our lives purpose. The shoes people are paying 150 dollars for won't mean sh!t in 30, 40, 50, 60, or however years when you're staring from a chair wondering where the fvck your time went.

And we don't understand what we're doing with each other. More people die from suicide than murder, car crashes, and animal-related deaths. What do we care about? Are we going to talk about it? No. Some people talk about helping other countries. Some people talk about helping the environment. We can do that. But can we help each other first?

How about we cultivate our friendships and strengthen our relationships, and improve our emotional health before we worry about our useless sh!t that won't be around in a couple years?

But we'd rather have useless sh!t. And what do we do to help our mental state? Do we take a few pills that are no more effective than placebos but have terrible physical effects to try to make us more happy? Do we drown ourselves in beer, whiskey, and wine? Useless sh!t won't make us happy.

Yet, we go for our mundane lives with the luxuries of useless sh!t - instead of pursuing our actual desires and fulfilling our friendships and romantic relationships at the fore of our lives. And before we know it, we'll be looking back on life without any time left.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 6:52:50 AM
And personally, I have very little family life. I'd rather block that from my mind when I finally get the chance to be free of it. So I replace it with the people that I call my friends. There are better things to do than swear blind loyalty to people that bring perhaps only negativity.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 11:46:56 AM
At 11/30/2015 6:44:43 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
People can never get their priorities straight.

Most people spend all of their time on their careers, but also have a burning desire to express their deepest feelings.

Sounds like a bunch of pvssies. Real men, swallow their feelings.

These things, waiting to be made, but most people would rather get caught up with the mundane daily life - paychecks, and engaging in the chase of stupid sh!t to fill the void in their lives.

Life is already wasted, merely by existing. There is no pursuit, which is not vain. No matter what we achieve or accomplish, we will die. All of it will be lost, and our world will stop existing.

These things, however, won't ever amount to anything. Most human lives slip by without ever considering things that can give true meaning.

Life is meaningless. You can become king of the world, and you will still die. It still won't matter.

But the time where we are free to do what we actually want never comes - we say "I'll do it when I have some free time, and I'm not busy" - yet another year has passed, and the insight of these people was never realized. Perhaps, they wrote a few lines on a notepad, got writers block, and threw it in a trash bin. None too slowly, all the years are gone. But whose fault is it?

We do precisely what we want, otherwise we wouldn't do it. Pursuing these pie in the sky dreams of being a writer or a movie star is damaging. Damaging both to your self esteem when you fail, and to your pocket book.

Society tells you what you want, and you go after it. We can worry about what car we're driving. But we never dig into what truly gives our lives purpose. The shoes people are paying 150 dollars for won't mean sh!t in 30, 40, 50, 60, or however years when you're staring from a chair wondering where the fvck your time went.

You're going to do that anyway. Life is a waste. You might look back and say "why didn't I spend 30 extra bucks for that pair of shoes, sure it was meaningless, but it would've made me happy"

And we don't understand what we're doing with each other. More people die from suicide than murder, car crashes, and animal-related deaths. What do we care about? Are we going to talk about it? No. Some people talk about helping other countries. Some people talk about helping the environment. We can do that. But can we help each other first?

So what. We're all going to die. What's 50 less years in the grand scheme of things?

How about we cultivate our friendships and strengthen our relationships, and improve our emotional health before we worry about our useless sh!t that won't be around in a couple years?

Our emotional health is useless. We'll end up dead whether we live a happy life or not

But we'd rather have useless sh!t. And what do we do to help our mental state? Do we take a few pills that are no more effective than placebos but have terrible physical effects to try to make us more happy? Do we drown ourselves in beer, whiskey, and wine? Useless sh!t won't make us happy.

More later

Yet, we go for our mundane lives with the luxuries of useless sh!t - instead of pursuing our actual desires and fulfilling our friendships and romantic relationships at the fore of our lives. And before we know it, we'll be looking back on life without any time left.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 3:05:30 PM

Greed-- it is a fact of life, of course, but our society has allowed it to feed upon itself to the point where we have what amounts to legalized corruption today. Greed has much, if not the majority of lawmaking power today.

Marxism: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." (Not endorsing Marxism here, just drawing contrasts)

capitalism: "From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 8:24:41 AM
People don't think through their position. Against abortion? what will be done with all the unwanted/neglected/abused children? Pro drug legalization? what will we do with all the junkies? Pro-imigration? are you going to let them stay at your home and use your resources? Want to save the planet? stop consumption, ditch your car, and quit your job.
We live in a time of sanctimonious bitching without honorable action.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:01:47 AM
At 12/5/2015 8:24:41 AM, ironslippers wrote:
People don't think through their position. Against abortion? what will be done with all the unwanted/neglected/abused children?

All of us pro-lifers will donate a portion of our income (voluntarily or not) to help those abused children.

Pro drug legalization? what will we do with all the junkies?

Licensed premises with detox rooms. Hand over your car keys at reception.

Pro-imigration? are you going to let them stay at your home and use your resources?

Sure. If they don't have a job, they can mow the lawn, cook the meals, and look after my hypothetical children. Pro-immigrant doesn't mean pro-freeloading.

Want to save the planet? stop consumption, ditch your car, and quit your job.

That's silly. We just need to change the way we consume, and take the train instead of the car.

We live in a time of sanctimonious bitching without honorable action.

I agree. Anybody with an opinion should put their money where their mouth is.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:21:14 PM

1. The increasing self obsession of people - as evidenced by their clinging to cell phones, devotion to social networking, forever being distracted by these, checking facebook, twitter, email.

2. The dominance of crap on TV, abusing one of the most powerful mediums for education and improvement ever devised.

3. The incessant expansion of Islam's influence in the West.

Harry.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:40:46 PM

I think the single biggest issue in American society is being too self-absorbed. It's all about me, and technology, and wealth, and services, feed into that.
Why think about being a better person, when I can just block you, and have myself constantly surrounded by those that support me no matter what.
Why learn, when someone will do it for me?
Why pay attention, when there's an app for that?
My work here is, finally, done.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 4:41:46 PM
At 12/6/2015 4:40:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I think the single biggest issue in American society is being too self-absorbed. It's all about me, and technology, and wealth, and services, feed into that.
Why think about being a better person, when I can just block you, and have myself constantly surrounded by those that support me no matter what.

This.
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 2:07:52 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 11/29/2015 11:32:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
People that don't use the side walk, which seems to be a big problem in the black community. What the Fvck is with blacks not knowing how to use a sidewalk or what one is for. The black dude in Ferguson, had police attention drawn to him, because he was too stupid to know how to use a sidewalk. The people in my neighborhood who are white, are always walking on the sidewalk, but I have to lay on my horn to get the black people who are walking in the middle of the street to move out of the way.

Why not? It's much more fun dodging cat poop and dog poop while you're walking outside, and it's much more fun to walk on gravel and have your shoes sunk into it as if you're slowly drowning. You really need to experience it the way they do.
notmincingwords
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 1:55:54 PM
At 12/6/2015 4:40:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I agree with you Harry, I would like to add; Why is trying to do the right thing, and practicing some kindness considered to be a weakness?Some companies see this as a threat? Why do we condone an addiction,[social media,cell phones ect.],by saying it is necessary?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 4:47:42 AM

The fact that the planet is being raped of it's non-renewable resources, and no one gives a fck.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 6:07:13 AM

Give me a minute.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
theworldhasgonemad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 3:51:11 PM
EQUALITY.

It takes care of the individual, without a thought for society.

And everybody pays for it.

From feminists to sexual liberation, the individuals are probably all better off, and society is completely f*cked up the a*s because of it.

BUT. If it wasn't for the f*cked up 'priveleged' like the men and the homophobes that screwed up with their own actions, then people wouldn't go searching for equality would they.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 9:12:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago

The obsession with the self, the worship and devotion paid to mobile devices and social networking, mobile phones are the new rosary beads providing comfort and security to the masses.

Poor education, no idea about nor interest in history, philosophy, art, etc.

Narrow mindedness, the intolerance of ideas that don't fit the mould of "politically correct", quick to accuse and denigrate simply because others dare to hold a different view on things.

Misplaced trust in science, materialism as the only meaningful form of knowledge.

Harry.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 9:20:16 PM
This might just be a Canadian thing, but I really hate the average person's aversion to confrontation. It boggles my mind how some people will stubborningly let something go to ruin because dealing with the problem would require some kind of confrontation.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Sophisto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 11:24:49 PM
New religions. As if they're any more legitimate than the ones with some mileage.
Misinterpretation of freedom of religion. As far as I am concerned, that only concerns Church and State, not Church and Society. When the government is unable to intervene, it is up to private citizens to realize their self-sufficiency and stretch its limits. Christians are under the misconception that their faith is invulnerable. Their undertraining and underqualifications for leading religion, let alone the world in its quest for God. Their bubble which refuses to burst.

Money is NOT real. Greed is PATHETIC. I chuckle at the gerbils running wheels for billions who cannot satiate their green lust.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:48:05 AM
Misunderstanding without correction.
People who think they know something but don't.
Confounding words with the actual things.
Anything that spreads confusion and misinformation.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:54:56 AM
At 1/25/2016 2:48:05 AM, difference wrote:
Misunderstanding without correction.
People who think they know something but don't.
Confounding words with the actual things.
Anything that spreads confusion and misinformation.

Actually, I take back the third line.