Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Why the backlash against Anti-Rape Wear?

SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:50:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
From what I can tell of their video, it seems like a good idea.

https://www.indiegogo.com...#/

The criticisms seem to be:

1. "2/3 of rapes are by somebody the woman knows (and, therefore, somebody she won't be wearing AR wear around)."

Reducing the number of rapes by 1/3 is still a good thing, is it not?

2. "We should instead teach men not to rape!"

And in the meantime, AR wear.

3. "Doesn't protect men, children, trans-women, or anybody AR wear doesn't fit."

But reducing the number of rapes upon adult, cis-gendered women is still a good thing, correct?

4. "What if she forgets the combination for the lock?"

Just don't forget the combination, you idiot.

5. "You shouldn't profit off of sexual assault!"

If you can make AR wear for free, do so.

Since feminists supposedly advocate women's interests, I'm surprised at the lack of support for this new technology. It seems like the kind of thing that should just be standard on all undergarments.
toretorden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 12:56:51 PM
I didn't know about this or the controversy, but this looks like a good idea to me.

I agree with the points you bring up.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 1:55:30 PM
Yeah, the only thing that I can really see being a complaint against this is the, "How about we just teach people not to rape?" It does kind of showcase a problem when you need something like this, but I think it's a great approach to help mitigate the problem.
ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2015 2:43:09 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:50:01 PM, SM2 wrote:
From what I can tell of their video, it seems like a good idea.

https://www.indiegogo.com...#/

The criticisms seem to be:

1. "2/3 of rapes are by somebody the woman knows (and, therefore, somebody she won't be wearing AR wear around)."

Reducing the number of rapes by 1/3 is still a good thing, is it not?

2. "We should instead teach men not to rape!"

And in the meantime, AR wear.

3. "Doesn't protect men, children, trans-women, or anybody AR wear doesn't fit."

But reducing the number of rapes upon adult, cis-gendered women is still a good thing, correct?

4. "What if she forgets the combination for the lock?"

Just don't forget the combination, you idiot.

5. "You shouldn't profit off of sexual assault!"

If you can make AR wear for free, do so.

Since feminists supposedly advocate women's interests, I'm surprised at the lack of support for this new technology. It seems like the kind of thing that should just be standard on all undergarments.

Its a weird topic really because you bring up good points about safety precautions and whatnot. But look at it from the view of rape victims. It isn't fair that me, a man, can go out shirtless doing whatever and nothing will happen, but a woman cannot even go out in a pair of comfortable pants or a tight shirt because it makes them feel good about themselves. I just don't think its fair that women should be forced, or cornered into thinking they have to dress a certain way. I wouldn't want someone telling me what to wear.
ConnorSween16
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 12:59:49 AM
At 12/2/2015 2:43:09 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
Its a weird topic really because you bring up good points about safety precautions and whatnot. But look at it from the view of rape victims. It isn't fair that me, a man, can go out shirtless doing whatever and nothing will happen, but a woman cannot even go out in a pair of comfortable pants or a tight shirt because it makes them feel good about themselves. I just don't think its fair that women should be forced, or cornered into thinking they have to dress a certain way. I wouldn't want someone telling me what to wear.

1. One of the women who created the product was the survivor of two attempted rapes. Each time, the rape was thwarted because the rapist couldn't get her pants off fast enough. That's how she got the idea for AR wear.

2. The product is designed to be worn comfortably under/over anything.

3. Men do have it better than women here, just by virtue of our biology. Since we're currently unable to change that, it's better to just accept it and move on. Focus on the problems we can solve, instead of the ones we can't.