Media Bias

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 4:54:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, so...
First of all, it appears that most people are completely incapable of recognizing the media's bias whenever the article in question has a slant that favors one's own position. It's been demonstrated that *a certain person here* who's one of the most sensible and intelligent people on this Site and also a Liberal is incapable of spotting when an article has a leftward slant.
On the other hand, people are more likely to spot an article's bias the more the said article has a slant contrary to said person's beliefs. That is, a Liberal is likely to notice the bias when an article is titled "Obama has failed the Middle East: why we miss Bush". On the other hand, a Conservative will likely notice the bias whenever an article is titled "The GOP has been hijacked by extremists: what can we do about it?"
As a result, people see articles which favor their position and gleefully don't notice any bias. They'll only notice the bias whenever the slant is opposite to their own. As a result, Conservatives see a Liberal media bias on one hand and Liberals see a Conservative media bias on the other.

As a result, it may be difficult to recognize which side the media gravitates more towards. Fortunately, I have a greater ability than most people to spot bias across the board. So what constitutes bias?

Here's a list of things that are biased:
-Any article that takes a side on an issue contested by the Democratic and Republican Parties
-Any article that takes a side on an issue contested by Liberals and Conservatives
-Any article which levies criticism on the candidate(s) of one political party and not the other
-Any article which casts one political party in a negative light and not the other
-Any article which states definitely that X policy has failed or that Y policy has succeeded
-Any article that is happy to cite research that favors one side of the issue while neglecting research from the other side that tells a different story or puts the other side's research in a different context; likewise, an article which roasts the research that favors a certain position while acting like all the other side's research is accurate
-An article which takes a side on a recent controversy (I.e. black man charges cop, cop immediately shoots him, who was more at fault?)
-Any article which seeks to promote "social justice"
-Any article that tells the side and perspective of one specific group (I.e. gays, blacks, illegal immigrants, etc) but not the side which has the opposite stake in the issue
-Any article which is mostly balanced but at some point includes a jab (subtle or not) at a certain side or person (one blatant example was a certain article on Bobby Jindal which started out with "It was a historic moment for America whenever Bobby Jindal, the first Indian-American Governor, was elected; unfortunately, Bobby Jindal was a Republican")

And so, now you know some of the criteria of what makes the media biased. There are essentially two proper ways to deal with media bias:
1. Don't do biased articles
2. "Counteract" biased articles with a proportional amount of bias towards the other side which manifests itself in other articles

Now I'd like to end this with a challenge: whatever news website you frequent, take an hour or two to look through its most current articles and see if they're biased and what kind of bias is most prominent.
Otherwise, we can use this thread to discuss media bias in general.
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 9:43:02 PM
At 12/3/2015 4:54:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so...
First of all, it appears that most people are completely incapable of recognizing the media's bias whenever the article in question has a slant that favors one's own position. It's been demonstrated that *a certain person here* who's one of the most sensible and intelligent people on this Site and also a Liberal is incapable of spotting when an article has a leftward slant.
On the other hand, people are more likely to spot an article's bias the more the said article has a slant contrary to said person's beliefs. That is, a Liberal is likely to notice the bias when an article is titled "Obama has failed the Middle East: why we miss Bush". On the other hand, a Conservative will likely notice the bias whenever an article is titled "The GOP has been hijacked by extremists: what can we do about it?"
As a result, people see articles which favor their position and gleefully don't notice any bias. They'll only notice the bias whenever the slant is opposite to their own. As a result, Conservatives see a Liberal media bias on one hand and Liberals see a Conservative media bias on the other.

As a result, it may be difficult to recognize which side the media gravitates more towards. Fortunately, I have a greater ability than most people to spot bias across the board. So what constitutes bias?

-Any article that takes a side on an issue contested by the Democratic and Republican Parties
-Any article that takes a side on an issue contested by Liberals and Conservatives
-Any article which levies criticism on the candidate(s) of one political party and not the other
-Any article which casts one political party in a negative light and not the other
-Any article which states definitely that X policy has failed or that Y policy has succeeded
-Any article that is happy to cite research that favors one side of the issue while neglecting research from the other side that tells a different story or puts the other side's research in a different context; likewise, an article which roasts the research that favors a certain position while acting like all the other side's research is accurate
-An article which takes a side on a recent controversy (I.e. black man charges cop, cop immediately shoots him, who was more at fault?)
-Any article that tells the side and perspective of one specific group (I.e. gays, blacks, illegal immigrants, etc) but not the side which has the opposite stake in the issue
-Any article which is mostly balanced but at some point includes a jab (subtle or not) at a certain side or person (one blatant example was a certain article on Bobby Jindal which started out with "It was a historic moment for America whenever Bobby Jindal, the first Indian-American Governor, was elected; unfortunately, Bobby Jindal was a Republican")

And so, now you know some of the criteria of what makes the media biased. There are essentially two proper ways to deal with media bias:
2. "Counteract" biased articles with a proportional amount of bias towards the other side which manifests itself in other articles

Now I'd like to end this with a challenge: whatever news website you frequent, take an hour or two to look through its most current articles and see if they're biased and what kind of bias is most prominent.
Thoughts?

Appreciate the pretty insightful write-up. Definitely will help me recognize bias from news sources a little easier since I tend to favor right-wing ideals more than left. I feel like the majority of media, or rather the more popular sources of media readily accessible, tend to be left-wing biased.

Would you happen to know some news sources which are typically not biased, or if so, only slightly to the left or the right?
And do you happen to also think the majority/popular media sources are more left-winged?
briantheliberal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 1:26:44 AM
Okay, so...

Thoughts?

What constitutes "taking a side" in this case? Because many things liberals believe are based on fact - such as anything related to actual science. If I provided a valid source from NASA regarding climate change and its effects, chances are conservatives are still going to deny it. If I post a valid source from the APA stating that being gay is not a choice, conservatives still dismiss it. This has actually happened to me in many cases actually.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 2:13:56 AM
At 12/4/2015 1:26:44 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
Okay, so...

Thoughts?

What constitutes "taking a side" in this case? Because many things liberals believe are based on fact - such as anything related to actual science. If I provided a valid source from NASA regarding climate change and its effects, chances are conservatives are still going to deny it. If I post a valid source from the APA stating that being gay is not a choice, conservatives still dismiss it. This has actually happened to me in many cases actually.

Everyone believes that what they believe in is fact. You may believe something to be an indisputable fact and thus the media should report that. However, somebody else will believe something the exact opposite and they think that the media should report that. Strong conviction that your belief is true does not mean you have a right to demand the media take your side.
The media does not and can not decide what is true.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid