Jump to topic:

Self Doubt

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:53:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not going to go into detail about this, but rather let the thread go or die. I don't want to go into my own personal thoughts at the moment, but am wondering if everyone is as confident as they seem or are there moments of doubt about things they believe, or who they are.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:57:17 AM
At 10/6/2010 7:53:08 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm not going to go into detail about this, but rather let the thread go or die. I don't want to go into my own personal thoughts at the moment, but am wondering if everyone is as confident as they seem or are there moments of doubt about things they believe, or who they are.

Its normal, everyone doubts themselves, what they do, why they do it, what they believe etc. Its just human nature. People have to look and act confident all the time tho. Most people have someone or something to confide in for such things.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:59:40 AM
At 10/6/2010 7:57:17 AM, lovelife wrote:

Its normal, everyone doubts themselves, what they do, why they do it, what they believe etc. Its just human nature. People have to look and act confident all the time tho. Most people have someone or something to confide in for such things.

You think so?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:22:54 AM
At 10/6/2010 7:59:40 AM, innomen wrote:
At 10/6/2010 7:57:17 AM, lovelife wrote:

You think so?

Not sure what you mean.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:23:02 AM
I "doubt" what I do... what I've done, what I want to do...

and I suppose you could say I sometimes 'consider my kind of "flighty" nature when it comes to doing stuff like school. (which does get kind of annoying/depressing if I dwell on it)

However!... I usually don't dwell on it... :) and just accept it, and don't make Goals of comitment or anything... I just do what I want as I want to as I want to do it (Granted that I DO consider more than Immediate gratification)

now at times I do have spells of thinking "what have I Accomplished"... and will I "Accomplish" anything... but I usually very quickly realize I don't really too much care about such Accomplishments, For if I did I would pursue them..

I just wanna be content... and pursuing what I would as I would is part of doing so...

and other things I know I'd be more persistent in, as they're stuff I care about.... Like being there for people I care about... having kids... etc.

I've gotten depressed about my flightyness when it comes to such things before... but I think I'm largely done with that...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:50:13 AM
At 10/6/2010 8:23:02 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I "doubt" what I do... what I've done, what I want to do...

and I suppose you could say I sometimes 'consider my kind of "flighty" nature when it comes to doing stuff like school. (which does get kind of annoying/depressing if I dwell on it)

However!... I usually don't dwell on it... :) and just accept it, and don't make Goals of comitment or anything... I just do what I want as I want to as I want to do it (Granted that I DO consider more than Immediate gratification)

now at times I do have spells of thinking "what have I Accomplished"... and will I "Accomplish" anything... but I usually very quickly realize I don't really too much care about such Accomplishments, For if I did I would pursue them..

I just wanna be content... and pursuing what I would as I would is part of doing so...

and other things I know I'd be more persistent in, as they're stuff I care about.... Like being there for people I care about... having kids... etc.

I've gotten depressed about my flightyness when it comes to such things before... but I think I'm largely done with that...

Never would have thought of you as flighty.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:08:30 AM
I'm genuinely pretty confident. I consistently reevaluate my beliefs, but that only makes me more confident in the sense that I realize I have the good sense to do so when most other people are entirely apathetic or incompetent. I agree with matt that I am NOT confident about "my accomplishments" thus far; I've told you briefly about some mistakes and decisions I've made that have ultimately (very negatively) impacted my life -- where I am vs. where I'd like to be. Sometimes I feel I can NEVER truly recover from that, and *that's* where my biggest insecurities lie.

I've essentially dug myself a hole, and the worst feeling of all could be echoed with Robert DiNiro in A Bronx Tale -- "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent." I'm pretty sure that's how all my friends and family see me -- Jack of all trades, master of none -- at least in a career sense which is what ultimately "matters" to their perceptions of me. So in short, I'm authentically confident regarding who I am, but I wish my life had taken a different route which I feel would leave me a lot more satisfied and less stressed.
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:16:55 AM
At 10/6/2010 9:08:30 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm genuinely pretty confident. I consistently reevaluate my beliefs, but that only makes me more confident in the sense that I realize I have the good sense to do so when most other people are entirely apathetic or incompetent. I agree with matt that I am NOT confident about "my accomplishments" thus far; I've told you briefly about some mistakes and decisions I've made that have ultimately (very negatively) impacted my life -- where I am vs. where I'd like to be. Sometimes I feel I can NEVER truly recover from that, and *that's* where my biggest insecurities lie.

I've essentially dug myself a hole, and the worst feeling of all could be echoed with Robert DiNiro in A Bronx Tale -- "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent." I'm pretty sure that's how all my friends and family see me -- Jack of all trades, master of none -- at least in a career sense which is what ultimately "matters" to their perceptions of me. So in short, I'm authentically confident regarding who I am, but I wish my life had taken a different route which I feel would leave me a lot more satisfied and less stressed.

Both you and Matt are incredibly young, and forgive me if it sounds condescending, because it isn't meant that way, but it's absurd for you to worry about what you have or haven't accomplished. That stuff is so less important to me now than it once was. Odd that something like that would reverse itself, one would think it would go the other way. Much of our thinking in this area is due to a nonsensical idea of what "successful" is considered by society. I rejected that a while ago.

However, the wasted talents is something near and dear to me. I get that. What i don't have as easy a time with is your reevaluation of your beliefs. I'm kind of like a donkey in that area, and it takes, generally pain for me to change. My doubts come in the form of - 'I've got all these people fooled' - they think i'm smart and funny and talented, and it's all a well rehearsed act.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:35:23 AM

Sometimes, i am not sure if i am doing all i can-to achieve what i so dearly wish. That could count as self doubt because when we worry about being too overconfident or lazy, it is a mess. But I do put on a confident exterior, and sometimes i think that's all that matters. Because when you even pretend to be confident, all of it comes to you.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 10:49:25 AM
At 10/6/2010 9:16:55 AM, innomen wrote:
Both you and Matt are incredibly young, and forgive me if it sounds condescending, because it isn't meant that way, but it's absurd for you to worry about what you have or haven't accomplished. That stuff is so less important to me now than it once was. Odd that something like that would reverse itself, one would think it would go the other way. Much of our thinking in this area is due to a nonsensical idea of what "successful" is considered by society. I rejected that a while ago.

However, the wasted talents is something near and dear to me. I get that. What i don't have as easy a time with is your reevaluation of your beliefs. I'm kind of like a donkey in that area, and it takes, generally pain for me to change. My doubts come in the form of - 'I've got all these people fooled' - they think i'm smart and funny and talented, and it's all a well rehearsed act.

I understand completely that I'm young... my problem is that the mistakes I've made are ones that WILL (and already are) coming back to haunt me, to the point where they're irreparable. The damage is done lol che sera sera. I'm thoroughly convinced that my "success" is going to be fairly if not totally limited and inhibited unless I come up with something brilliant lol... and I'd like to think I'm working on it but I don't know how true that is.

Regarding beliefs, I think if they remain stagnant that it's a bad thing. That means you haven't learned anything i.e. your time has been wasted. As for people's perceptions of you, if they think you're smart, funny and talented - then you probably are. Everyone becomes insecure about their knowledge at some point because there's all so much we don't know (and around here, people have different areas of knowledge [well, call me biased but so far I've only really learned anything from those above 21 lol] so it becomes evident where you may or may not lack as much formal education in one area). However it doesn't take away from your intelligence or admirable traits at all which is what I think some people can have a problem remaining confident about. In other words, you're still awesome even if other people are too. You *are* those things: smart, funny and talented even if you'd like to be better (and wanting to be better is a good thing and which makes you smart in itself :p ).
President of DDO
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:10:11 AM

We all go through periods in our lives when we doubt ourselves. Those who have over inflated egoes are only hiding how WEAK they are internally. Only secure people can have a healthy sense of themselves.

We all experience a loss of confidence when we do something that we have never done before, that's natural.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:28:43 AM
At 10/6/2010 11:10:11 AM, kelly224 wrote:

We all go through periods in our lives when we doubt ourselves. Those who have over inflated egoes are only hiding how WEAK they are internally. Only secure people can have a healthy sense of themselves.

We all experience a loss of confidence when we do something that we have never done before, that's natural.

I'm not sure, i think some people are more self reflective than others. Being self reflective doesn't mean you get it right either. I think some people just cruise through life without a thought of anything beyond the next moment. I think they're happier to be honest.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:35:55 AM
At 10/6/2010 11:28:43 AM, innomen wrote:
I think some people just cruise through life without a thought of anything beyond the next moment. I think they're happier to be honest.

That's basically how I live the majority of my life, however, at the moment I'm going through a bit of a bump in the smooth road. Its primarily personal issues, not existential, financial, or anything like that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:54:02 AM
I'm not going to go into detail about this, but rather let the thread go or die. I don't want to go into my own personal thoughts at the moment, but am wondering if everyone is as confident as they seem

I think I have a healthy combination of confidence, shyness, arrogance and insecurity.

or are there moments of doubt about things they believe, or who they are.

I think there's quite a difference between those two things. If you're an open minded person then you should accept that your beliefs can change and develop without compromising who you actually are.

While it may be natural to define ourselves somewhat by the things we believe, we should be open to questioning them. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you're probably not taking them very seriously.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:40:49 PM

I don't think anyone can be as confident as they seem. Some people are better at hiding their doubt than others. Some people are better at lying to themselves than others.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:26:42 PM
Doubt tends to have a negative connentation to it which I don't particularly understand. It makes you re-evaluate yourself, whether that be your actions or beliefs. And that's usually a 'good' thing. It puts you in a hard place sometimes but when you're forced to think outside the boundaries you had previously set up, you come out stronger and maybe even more secure than before.

Doubt led me to question a lot of my beliefs, and without that nagging sense in the back of my mind that it inevitably brings, I probably would have continued being unhappy and confused. But now, after re-examining my most important beliefs, I feel more confident in not only expressing them, but also defending them. Seems pretty good to me! ;)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 6:42:18 PM

This seems to happen to me alot. I never really know what I actually believe anymore(hence all the ideological shifts lately).
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:47:52 AM
I'm not going to go into detail about this, but rather let the thread go or die. I don't want to go into my own personal thoughts at the moment, but am wondering if everyone is as confident as they seem or are there moments of doubt about things they believe, or who they are.:

Doubt, to include self-doubt, is a natural and normal response to the outside world. Human beings are inherent skeptics, and a true skeptic demands to be proven things with evidence.

Doubt has a negative connotation attached to it, and I think we tend to associate self-doubt with weakness. Not true. I think what's more weak is refusing to even acknowledge that our faith about something MAY be unjustified.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 6:59:49 AM
At 10/6/2010 11:28:43 AM, innomen wrote:
At 10/6/2010 11:10:11 AM, kelly224 wrote:

I'm not sure, i think some people are more self reflective than others. Being self reflective doesn't mean you get it right either. I think some people just cruise through life without a thought of anything beyond the next moment. I think they're happier to be honest.

I think that confidence requires you to be self reflective,am I right? Everyone goes through dry spells, or deserts, we ALL feel the same emotions. SOme ARE better than others with coping like you said.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 10:00:41 AM
Personally, I don't have any self-doubt and never have. That doesn't mean I don't have serious faults in my character (I am ill-disciplined and give in to temptation too easily) and I lack ability in certain areas (I still can't do housework, despite a lifetime of practice and I can't play a musical instrument).

When I was younger, I tried to overcome my weaknesses but as I got a bit older I came to accept them and just work round them.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:42:38 PM
At 10/8/2010 10:00:41 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Personally, I don't have any self-doubt and never have. That doesn't mean I don't have serious faults in my character (I am ill-disciplined and give in to temptation too easily) and I lack ability in certain areas (I still can't do housework, despite a lifetime of practice and I can't play a musical instrument).

When I was younger, I tried to overcome my weaknesses but as I got a bit older I came to accept them and just work round them.

Your first paragraph sounds like self doubt. Are you unaware of what self doubt really is?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:52:00 PM
At 10/8/2010 12:42:38 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Your first paragraph sounds like self doubt. Are you unaware of what self doubt really is?

Having a realistic notion of your capabilities is not the same as self-doubt.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 3:37:37 PM
At 10/8/2010 12:42:38 PM, kelly224 wrote:

My faults don't end where I described them, there are many more - but I am self confident, as Kleptin kindly recognised, because I am aware of my short-comings and I have learned over the years to circumnavigate them..
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 6:20:40 PM
At 10/8/2010 6:16:01 PM, Koopin wrote:
Not to sound arrogant, but I really don't have much self doubt. I guess I don't really care.

I think that's because you haven't had a lot of competition in your life, being homeschooled. You grew up relatively unhindered.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:06:30 PM
At 10/8/2010 6:20:40 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Not to sound arrogant, but I really don't have much self doubt. I guess I don't really care.

I think that's because you haven't had a lot of competition in your life, being homeschooled. You grew up relatively unhindered.

no.. it's b/c he's embraced Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, silly.

He's already done what he's got to do... Success!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:15:28 PM
At 10/8/2010 6:20:40 PM, Kleptin wrote:

NoOoOoOoOoO! Not you too! Not another stereo-typer! I get out more than public-schoolers do. This summer, I was home for for maybe five days. All the other days I was with my friends, at the mall, at summer camps (volunteer and pleasure) at group meetings, at youth group events, and a lot more. The Koopin gets out of the house, and has friends. Koopin has a life.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:28:59 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:15:28 PM, Koopin wrote:
I get out more than public-schoolers do. This summer, I was home for for maybe five days. All the other days I was with my **Parental approved friends, at the mall with other home schooled kids on Planned home-school enrichment trips, at Biblical-based/parental approved summer camps (volunteer and pleasure) at Home-school/Cult meetings, at cult youth group events, and a lot more. The Koopin gets out of the house Into the broader Parental approved zones, and has the right kind of friends. Koopin has a very controlled and cult-centered life.

yeah Kleptin! don't stereotype!

Metaphysics: