Total Posts:80|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do you like rules?

Caramel
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:32:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I pulled up to an intersection just as the light turned red today, and a man waited patiently at the corner for his "walk" signal and then crossed in front of me while I slowed to a stop. He never turned to look in my direction; he was content that he had the right of way and expected I would obey the signal, even though the consequences for me not obeying it would have meant him a date with my wheels and bumper.

I took this gentleman to be of the rule-following type. I can notice this well because I am quite the opposite; when crossing the street I rarely use crosswalks and will dash out between intersections when there simply are no automobiles present (this town is barely over 100,000 people so traffic is "light" in comparison to urban areas). I've noticed that some people are prone to following or breaking rules.

Do you label yourself as a rule-breaker or a rule-follower? Do rules offer us comfort, and is this comfort warranted? Is being a rule-breaker or follower natural or learned, and is there an optimal "setting?"
no comment
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:46:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Rules are good. It sets standards in society as there are certain things we just shouldn't be doing. With that said, I'm generally a rule-follower.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:50:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Depends. Nearby traffic light? Traffic waiting at my stop? If so I'll usually wait for a green walk light, but otherwise I'll dash across. It really depends on what rules.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:52:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 12:47:13 PM, Koopin wrote:
Koopin wants someone to get on skype. :,(

If I wasn't deep conditioning my hair right now I would so do it.

Sorry, back on topic. I'm a rule-follower and I follow them to a T. I don't do rolling stops at stop signs--even if nobody is there, I stop, check to make sure the way is clear, then go. It annoys everybody in my passenger seat. I'm probably the most careful driver you will ever meet lol.

Outside of driving, I also follow rules to a T, whether it's school or work or whatever. If I want to make an exception and break a rule, I take it up with a superior.

I guess part of it is the deflection of responsibility. I can't be blamed for something going wrong if I was "just following the rules".
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 12:58:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I feel morally obliged to follow rules. If I can avoid having anything to do with them and they are against my own principles, then I am not following them hence I cannot break them.

But every single person in a society should have the same obligation to follow rules.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:02:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I support guidelines, yes. But I don't support rules that are enforced by coercive authority.

I appeal to reason over rules. For example, if i'm on a 35 mph road I will probably go a more reasonable speed of 45 mph and will not respect the police's decision to give me a ticket.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:10:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 12:52:15 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/6/2010 12:47:13 PM, Koopin wrote:
Koopin wants someone to get on skype. :,(

If I wasn't deep conditioning my hair right now I would so do it.

Sorry, back on topic. I'm a rule-follower and I follow them to a T. I don't do rolling stops at stop signs--even if nobody is there, I stop, check to make sure the way is clear, then go. It annoys everybody in my passenger seat. I'm probably the most careful driver you will ever meet lol.

Outside of driving, I also follow rules to a T, whether it's school or work or whatever. If I want to make an exception and break a rule, I take it up with a superior.

Is it rational to do this? For example, besides the chance of getting caught, why wouldn't you just do a rolling stop?

I guess part of it is the deflection of responsibility. I can't be blamed for something going wrong if I was "just following the rules".

The Nazis were also "just following the rules."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:36:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I ignore rules that I deem stupid.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:44:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As a rule... I dislike them.

though... I like those that, given the chance, I would submit.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:45:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:02:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I support guidelines, yes. But I don't support rules that are enforced by coercive authority.

I appeal to reason over rules. For example, if i'm on a 35 mph road I will probably go a more reasonable speed of 45 mph and will not respect the police's decision to give me a ticket.

You do realise road speed limits are derived from a huge number of road accident statistics? If you hit someone at 30 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is under 20%. If you hit them at 40 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is over 80%. Not to mention the fact that the speed limit is often lowered on roads because of difficult to navigate bends or road features.

By breaking the speed limit you aren't just getting the better of some arbitrary government rule - you're putting other people and yourself at risk.

Sorry to sound like a government safety advert here, but speed limits really are an absurd example to give of rules that you should disobey if you think it's 'rational' to disobey them. They're there for a very, very good reason - a huge number of people die all the f*cking time because they go over the speed limit.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 1:55:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:45:38 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:02:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I support guidelines, yes. But I don't support rules that are enforced by coercive authority.

I appeal to reason over rules. For example, if i'm on a 35 mph road I will probably go a more reasonable speed of 45 mph and will not respect the police's decision to give me a ticket.

You do realise road speed limits are derived from a huge number of road accident statistics? If you hit someone at 30 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is under 20%. If you hit them at 40 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is over 80%. Not to mention the fact that the speed limit is often lowered on roads because of difficult to navigate bends or road features.

By breaking the speed limit you aren't just getting the better of some arbitrary government rule - you're putting other people and yourself at risk.

Sorry to sound like a government safety advert here, but speed limits really are an absurd example to give of rules that you should disobey if you think it's 'rational' to disobey them. They're there for a very, very good reason - a huge number of people die all the f*cking time because they go over the speed limit.

That's simply not true in all cases. The 55 rule was more about saving gas than anything else. Cars were designed to drive faster, and in most cases the speed was increased. There are also some deliberate speed traps to increase revenue. I was caught in one, fought it and beat it. There are speeds that are a function of zoning, not just school zone, but commercial etc, and have nothing at all to do with any sort of studies done, but are essentially arbitrary as far as the zone is deemed as whatever it is and the speed correlates. Studies have also shown that it is safer to travel at the speed of traffic regardless of the posted speed, than to travel at a different speed.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:01:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:47:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:36:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
I ignore rules that I deem stupid.

Wow, aren't you a rebel.

Don't most people do this?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:37:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Practically, I know rules have their place and are very important.

Emotionally, I am the essence of a rule breaker.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:38:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 12:51:30 PM, innomen wrote:
Rules are really good things for everyone else to follow.

Brilliant.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:39:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 2:01:39 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:47:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:36:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
I ignore rules that I deem stupid.

Wow, aren't you a rebel.

Don't most people do this?

Yes.

I'll follow the rules that seem to be pertinent to my safety, don't restrict me too much and the ones that would protect others as well... But I do use my own logic to 'choose' which ones I'll follow and what ones I'll ignore.

For example, I'll most likely follow the speed limits (even though I tend to speed) but I'll most likely text when I drive. Is that safe? Probably not. Do I still do it? Yes, because I'm able to without crashing. At school, I'll follow school regulations on the computer because the pros outweigh the cons. I would rather have an account and follow their rules instead of ignoring them and getting my account closed. But, I won't follow the rule that 'no bandanas or belt buckles allowed' because that's stupid. I'm not in a gang and I'll wear what I want to wear, especially if it's not indecent or offending. Do you really think I'd be flashing Crip signals?

So Korashk is correct. Like him, I'll follow the ones that aren't stupid. But I'll also add that I won't follow the laws that are blatantly too authoritative and constricting...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 2:43:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 2:01:39 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:47:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:36:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
I ignore rules that I deem stupid.

Wow, aren't you a rebel.

Don't most people do this?

Naw, I think most smart people do this though. A from there it becomes a question of whether one does it actively or passively that makes them a true rule-breaker. Do you just break them as they come or do you seek out dumb rules to be broken? For me it's the latter.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:02:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:02:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I support guidelines, yes. But I don't support rules that are enforced by coercive authority.

I appeal to reason over rules. For example, if i'm on a 35 mph road I will probably go a more reasonable speed of 45 mph and will not respect the police's decision to give me a ticket.

How about 35 in a 25 School Zone. You are a rebel.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:15:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I like rules, so long as I benefit more from them impacting others than I am harmed by them impacting me. Rules protect people from each other and from themselves. Rules have a reliable tendency to be well thought out on various levels other than the superficial level I see if I disagree with them.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:21:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 12:46:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Rules are good. It sets standards in society as there are certain things we just shouldn't be doing. With that said, I'm generally a rule-follower.

Fvck rules.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:23:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:02:35 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I support guidelines, yes. But I don't support rules that are enforced by coercive authority.

I appeal to reason over rules. For example, if i'm on a 35 mph road I will probably go a more reasonable speed of 45 mph and will not respect the police's decision to give me a ticket.

Lol, how many tickets have you gotten?
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:24:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:45:38 PM, Kinesis wrote:
You do realise road speed limits are derived from a huge number of road accident statistics? If you hit someone at 30 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is under 20%. If you hit them at 40 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is over 80%. Not to mention the fact that the speed limit is often lowered on roads because of difficult to navigate bends or road features.

By breaking the speed limit you aren't just getting the better of some arbitrary government rule - you're putting other people and yourself at risk.

Sorry to sound like a government safety advert here, but speed limits really are an absurd example to give of rules that you should disobey if you think it's 'rational' to disobey them. They're there for a very, very good reason - a huge number of people die all the f*cking time because they go over the speed limit.

False. http://www.cracked.com...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:32:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 7:24:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:45:38 PM, Kinesis wrote:
You do realise road speed limits are derived from a huge number of road accident statistics? If you hit someone at 30 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is under 20%. If you hit them at 40 miles an hour the chance of you killing them is over 80%. Not to mention the fact that the speed limit is often lowered on roads because of difficult to navigate bends or road features.

By breaking the speed limit you aren't just getting the better of some arbitrary government rule - you're putting other people and yourself at risk.

Sorry to sound like a government safety advert here, but speed limits really are an absurd example to give of rules that you should disobey if you think it's 'rational' to disobey them. They're there for a very, very good reason - a huge number of people die all the f*cking time because they go over the speed limit.

False. http://www.cracked.com...

Not only is this article from cracked.com, but it doesn't even include speed limits in the list of 5.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:33:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 1:10:38 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/6/2010 12:52:15 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/6/2010 12:47:13 PM, Koopin wrote:
Koopin wants someone to get on skype. :,(

If I wasn't deep conditioning my hair right now I would so do it.

Sorry, back on topic. I'm a rule-follower and I follow them to a T. I don't do rolling stops at stop signs--even if nobody is there, I stop, check to make sure the way is clear, then go. It annoys everybody in my passenger seat. I'm probably the most careful driver you will ever meet lol.

Outside of driving, I also follow rules to a T, whether it's school or work or whatever. If I want to make an exception and break a rule, I take it up with a superior.

Is it rational to do this? For example, besides the chance of getting caught, why wouldn't you just do a rolling stop?


A guy I was dating was one of the people who got annoyed when I stopped at stop signs. Then one night, he did a full stop for whatever reason and a truck narrowly missed t-boning his car. If he'd done a rolling stop he would have been critically injured. Essentially, I saved his life.

I guess part of it is the deflection of responsibility. I can't be blamed for something going wrong if I was "just following the rules".

The Nazis were also "just following the rules."

Technically, they were following orders. Your point?
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:34:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 7:32:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/6/2010 7:24:38 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
False. http://www.cracked.com...

Not only is this article from cracked.com, but it doesn't even include speed limits in the list of 5.

Oops, wrong link. http://www.cracked.com...

Also, Cracked is legit, yo.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:36:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 2:43:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/6/2010 2:01:39 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:47:07 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 10/6/2010 1:36:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
I ignore rules that I deem stupid.

Wow, aren't you a rebel.

Don't most people do this?

Naw, I think most smart people do this though. A from there it becomes a question of whether one does it actively or passively that makes them a true rule-breaker. Do you just break them as they come or do you seek out dumb rules to be broken? For me it's the latter.

Breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules is retarded. I'll just go about my day as if a bunch of them didn't exist. I may break some, I may not.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:44:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/6/2010 2:43:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Do you just break them as they come or do you seek out dumb rules to be broken? For me it's the latter.

You realize that only children do this, right?

You know, pre-teens who think that they're cool, or more likely, smarter than people who made the rules, when they're really stuck between the fantasy thinking style and the rational thinking style? Immature frontal cortex that makes them more prone to risk-taking for no apparent reason?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.