Jump to topic:

bisexuality

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 4:51:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why is a person who has had sex with both male and female in the past and then later enters into a relationship with someone of the same sex considered "gay or homosexual", while a person who does the same thing and then later enters into a relationship with a person of the opposite sex considered "bisexual". Why are they not both bisexual? Both made conscious decisions both can obviously go either way in the past in the present and in the future.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 5:10:59 PM
i didn't know that was the case and i would consider them both bisexual... lol. who says otherwise?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 6:06:33 PM
A homosexual is a person who is sexually attracted to members of the same sex.

A bisexual is a person sexually responsive to both sexes.

Thus, a bisexual is sexually attracted to members of the same sex. Therefore, someone who is bisexual is technically "homosexual." However, bisexuals are also heterosexual in the fact that they are attracted to members of opposite sex as well.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 6:08:36 PM
At 10/6/2010 6:06:33 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Thus, a bisexual is sexually attracted to members of the same sex. Therefore, someone who is bisexual is technically "homosexual." However, bisexuals are also heterosexual in the fact that they are attracted to members of opposite sex as well.

Actually, bisexuals aren't "technically homosexual/heterosexual", because those two categories are exclusive.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 6:15:12 PM
At 10/6/2010 6:08:36 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/6/2010 6:06:33 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Actually, bisexuals aren't "technically homosexual/heterosexual", because those two categories are exclusive.

I understand that.

I was just trying to simplify it enough to allow the OP to understand how people have erroneous notions about sexuality.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 6:58:03 PM
At 10/6/2010 5:10:59 PM, belle wrote:
i didn't know that was the case and i would consider them both bisexual... lol. who says otherwise?

Statistic takers say so. All bisexuals who choose a same sex partner are considered homosexual but all bisexuals who choose a opposite sex partner are lumped together with the heterosexuals when it comes to estimating the homosexual population. You never see a statistic separating the bisexuals from heterosexuals or bisexuals from homosexuals. You are either homosexual or heterosexual. In my opinion any bisexual that chooses a same sex partner is not homosexual and should be lumped in with the heterosexuals. Only true homosexuals can be called gay or homosexual just as only true heterosexuals can be called heterosexuals. people who can go both ways are bisexual. I know it's rocket science right.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 7:03:06 PM
At 10/6/2010 6:58:03 PM, sadolite wrote:

Statistic takers say so. All bisexuals who choose a same sex partner are considered homosexual but all bisexuals who choose a opposite sex partner are lumped together with the heterosexuals when it comes to estimating the homosexual population. You never see a statistic separating the bisexuals from heterosexuals or bisexuals from homosexuals. You are either homosexual or heterosexual. In my opinion any bisexual that chooses a same sex partner is not homosexual and should be lumped in with the heterosexuals. Only true homosexuals can be called gay or homosexual just as only true heterosexuals can be called heterosexuals. people who can go both ways are bisexual. I know it's rocket science right.

Statistics are for manipulation of data, not accurate representation.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 11:42:47 AM
At 10/6/2010 4:51:48 PM, sadolite wrote:
Why is a person who has had sex with both male and female in the past and then later enters into a relationship with someone of the same sex considered "gay or homosexual", while a person who does the same thing and then later enters into a relationship with a person of the opposite sex considered "bisexual". Why are they not both bisexual? Both made conscious decisions both can obviously go either way in the past in the present and in the future.

I think your sexuality can change, but more often it is a white lie. Someone may feel that by identifying themselves as bisexual they are inviting disloyalty to their partner. Which does not make great logical sense but still.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 11:58:57 AM
Lol I hate the double standards. My friend hates me and says I'm not bi cause I have a bf.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 12:55:52 PM
At 10/7/2010 11:42:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I think your sexuality can change, but more often it is a white lie. Someone may feel that by identifying themselves as bisexual they are inviting disloyalty to their partner. Which does not make great logical sense but still.

lol That's a loaded paragraph. Has your sexuality changed?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 12:57:26 PM

I've never, ever heard of someone saying that if a bisexual is in a same sex relationship - they are considered homosexual, and not bisexual. They would still be considered bisexual. Take into consideration a female bisexual friend of mine - she is in a relationship with a woman right now. We still consider her bisexual as she is attracted to both men and women.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 5:45:06 PM

are you sure they're not trying to measure the incidence of homosexual or heterosexual relationships in the population rather than the sexual identity of individuals? preeeeeeeeetty sure you can't be in a bisexual relationship lol unless you count hermaphrodites as literally being both genders...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 6:12:44 PM
Well you could have sex with someone the opposite sex without being attracted to them, ie. Someone has sex with guys and girls and then settles on one, thus making them hetero or homo.
I'm sure there are lots of homosexual men and women out there with partners of the opposite sex. They aren't attracted to them, but it's like a social facade.
I don't know about heterosexuals being in gay relationships... I'd imagine that would be exceedingly rare.
Bisexuals are truly attracted to both sexes. I think it's a term thrown around far too often. Most people who are called Bisexual are actually Bicurious.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 7:45:32 PM
At 10/7/2010 12:55:52 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

No it hasn't. I just want to know why bisexuals get who choose an opposite sex partner get lumped in with the hetero sexual when govt and activist groups try to determine what percentage of the population is homosexual. It is completely and totally intellectually dishonest and no one is ever called on it.

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:16:57 PM
At 10/7/2010 7:45:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

No it hasn't. I just want to know why bisexuals get who choose an opposite sex partner get lumped in with the hetero sexual when govt and activist groups try to determine what percentage of the population is homosexual. It is completely and totally intellectually dishonest and no one is ever called on it.

o.O

probably because they don't have time to ask every individual person about their sexuality. they are called estimates for a reason. it sounds like they do it based off relationship status... sooooooooooo bisexuality is invisible to such a method. its not intellectually dishonest, its just incomplete.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:54:45 PM

My dad's arguments against gay marriage
1) Flood gate followed by
2) "The total population of gays in the US is about .5%, that includes your oh-so precious bisexuals, so why should they get special treatment? Why should we have to give them jobs and benefits?"

hmmm....fail all over my family. Maybe thats why I'm so low by DDO standards, I was born that way and have to climb up the intelligence ladder.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:59:01 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:54:45 PM, lovelife wrote:

My dad's arguments against gay marriage
1) Flood gate followed by
2) "The total population of gays in the US is about .5%, that includes your oh-so precious bisexuals, so why should they get special treatment? Why should we have to give them jobs and benefits?"

hmmm....fail all over my family. Maybe thats why I'm so low by DDO standards, I was born that way and have to climb up the intelligence ladder.

It's a heck of a lot more than .5%. A heck of a lot more. Even a heck of a lot more than the "11%" most statisticians report.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:59:27 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:16:57 PM, belle wrote:

probably because they don't have time to ask every individual person about their sexuality. they are called estimates for a reason. it sounds like they do it based off relationship status... sooooooooooo bisexuality is invisible to such a method. its not intellectually dishonest, its just incomplete.

It's a flaw in the survey... they should always put "other". I conducted a study last semester and for gender, we had the "other" option and one person did choose it. Was not statistically significant or relevant in any way, but for studies on sex and relationships, it should matter lol
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:02:15 PM
Blacks make up 13.5 percent of the Us population. Compare - even if we take the 11% example.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:07:30 PM
At 10/7/2010 10:02:15 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Blacks make up 13.5 percent of the Us population. Compare - even if we take the 11% example.

I know. And my mom does have a point, my father is an idiot. And a biggot. He would fit in in the south, better than most southerners I know.

All I know is what he said seems to indicate there are surveys that have a bisexual option.

Lol btw you can be in a bisexual relationship. It would have to be some 3 way dating tho. It is almost impossible to be in a bisexual relationship if you are only with one person tho.

I think everyone is pansexual, and that they just like more feminine or masculine characteristics and tend to go for the appropriate gender. Its often opposite of theirs to balance it out. Thats just my theory.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:20:35 PM
At 10/7/2010 10:09:10 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
The theory of a bisexual :p

Lmao, guess it beats the theory of a deadman :p
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 11:53:52 PM

Erm... well... I just gather that's what happens.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:11:27 AM
At 10/7/2010 11:53:52 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Erm... well... I just gather that's what happens.

Lmao, I'll avoid the joke.
Strawberry vs Chocolate icecream.
When I was younger I loved strawberry, and preferred it over chocolate, I would eat chocolate tho. When I got older, it changed. Maybe that could happen with sexuality?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:16:10 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:11:27 AM, lovelife wrote:
When I was younger I loved strawberry, and preferred it over chocolate, I would eat chocolate tho. When I got older, it changed. Maybe that could happen with sexuality?

Well sure, considering you've always liked both...
President of DDO
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:20:19 AM
At 10/8/2010 12:16:10 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/8/2010 12:11:27 AM, lovelife wrote:

Well sure, considering you've always liked both...

Well damn good point. I'd rather have a little of both than just choclate, and thats stayed the same. I think I only liked strawberry then because it was pink and I was trying really hard to be girly.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 12:23:32 AM
At 10/7/2010 11:27:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Bisexuals are greedy. Choose two.

How does that make sense?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 2:27:46 AM
Bisexuals, who openly live a life of bisexuality don't have as easy of a time with it as one might think. They say it's the best of both worlds and the worst of both worlds. The gay society isn't as patient with them as one might think, and the hetero is the same way. They really are sort of a man without a country. I knew a girl who struggled with this a lot, and she was really forced (not literally) to choose sides socially. Transgendered are another mess. I know it's not PC to say this, but i have never known one that was really happy and secure in life. They think the solution will be an operation and it only seems to open another chapter of difficulties. It's also not PC to say this, but as a gay man i don't naturally ally myself with these groups and hold a little resentment that i am classified with them. I'm just me.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 4:26:44 AM
Why is a person who has had sex with both male and female in the past and then later enters into a relationship with someone of the same sex considered "gay or homosexual", while a person who does the same thing and then later enters into a relationship with a person of the opposite sex considered "bisexual". Why are they not both bisexual? Both made conscious decisions both can obviously go either way in the past in the present and in the future.:

Because experimentation does not equal bisexuality necessarily. I know of many straight women who tried girl-on-girl. While they enjoyed the moment, this doesn't erase their inherent, overriding attraction to men. Or likewise, I know at least 4 lesbians who have had sex with men (including a lesbian friend who slept with me after a night of drinking). That didn't stop their inherent, overriding attraction to women. They were just curious.

Now, some people appear genuinely interested in both sexes without preference. I would consider them true bisexuals.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)