Jump to topic:

Bullies

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 9:57:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I noticed this as a side ad on here, and read the article. What do you think?

http://www.aolnews.com...

Not to laugh at such things, but I do believe that if more people that are prime targets (such as myself) get homeschooled/enroll in online school earlier, before it becomes so bad that they would rather die, and go through with that, then the problem would reduce.
The problem is it takes years to convince parents to not make kids go to public school. I have been begging to be homeschooled or something since I started kindergarten, the day after the bullying began. It took me ten years, and I almost didn't get to because my dad didn't aprove of me not being in that situation.

I also think that school shouldn't be mandatory. If your prone to bully chances are you aren't prone to learn. If you are always bullied, you wont learn that well either. The kids being picked on should be allowed to stay but I think the ones that bully should be kicked out, and I don't think they should be moved somewhere else, moving the problem, does not solve it. Its like relocating a catholic preist that just raped 27 young boys to a different church with even more small children, it fixes nothing, and affects more lives negatively.

I think these kids should have kept on living, because there is always something better no matter how dark the situation is, but I do know what its like to have no help and to have bricks thrown at you everyday after school. Not able to stand by a teacher and call my mom and have her pick me up because cell phones aren't allowed, and the main office phone isn't for non-emergancies, and nothing seems to count as an emergancy, I do see how bad that is, and I must admit, if I hadn't found my will to live I would have been gone years ago.

I know its tough out there and thats why I want to help, but I'm not sure how to. So far my only ideas are to make online school more socially accepted, kick all bullies out of all schools and have them do the jobs that illegal aleins do that everyone complains about them doing that no one actually ever wants to do.
And find others that need some help getting back to loving life and ignoring dumb@ss bullies.

If anyone here deals with chronic bullying here are my observations of why bullies bully.
1) Bad home life- they want to take it out on you that their home life is miserable and your a normal, happy person
2) they like you- especially true if the person bullying you seems a little gay, and happens to be of the same sex, usually someone whho is expected to be straight and knows they would not be accepted at all if they weren't. Because homosexuality is not widely accepted, many that have that attraction become frustrated and take it out on the one they admire rather than what most do which is be shy, write notes, say something, or avoid completely. It does happen with people of the opposite sex, but slightly less frequently.
3) They feel they aren't as smart as you- so they either bully you for answers or revenge, and try to seem tougher or smarter

Bullies aren't bad people, they just need to be kept away from people they may hurt. They are different and need help, because bullying is not victimless, it takes lives, happiness. Bullies tend to be going through something very tough so another thing I would say to help the problem, is find a way to reach bullies and potential bullies, and show them that taking comfort in others is much better and helps much more than name calling, rumor mongering, pushing, hitting, kicking, cutting hair, throwing things, ganging up on people, attacking younger and weaker people and/or animals, its a serious problem, and we all need to work at making this problem end.

Too many people die, too many people have tried to die. The bullies and the victims both need help.
How can we actually help them?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:57:35 PM
Quite simply the bullies need to be made to suffer. It's that simple. A broken nose really does cure the problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 12:41:35 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:57:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Quite simply the bullies need to be made to suffer. It's that simple. A broken nose really does cure the problem.

No, it really does not. I fought bullies, and won, but then I was in trouble with the same school that wouldn't do sh1t about them throwing bricks at me, less than a block from school property. -I had to walk home, and be there before 3:30, school let out at 3, not a whole lot of time to wait for them to leave, especially since they hang out there until 5:30-6, sometimes up to 8.-

They need removed.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 6:45:46 AM

Srsly? o.O
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 6:46:39 AM
At 10/10/2010 6:45:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Srsly? o.O

Well, someone had to stand-up for his girlfriend.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 10:52:02 AM
At 10/10/2010 12:41:35 AM, lovelife wrote:

No, it really does not. I fought bullies, and won, but then I was in trouble with the same school that wouldn't do sh1t about them throwing bricks at me, less than a block from school property. -I had to walk home, and be there before 3:30, school let out at 3, not a whole lot of time to wait for them to leave, especially since they hang out there until 5:30-6, sometimes up to 8.-

They need removed.

Throwing bricks = Crime of Assault/attempted murder. Correct response is self-defence or criminal prosecution. Both would solve the problem.

What happened in your case was that the bullies were encouraged indeed facilitated. If the law was followed or sufficient revenge inflicted upon them then the problem would have been solved.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 10:53:41 AM
At 10/10/2010 6:45:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Srsly? o.O

Seems rational to me.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 12:21:12 PM
At 10/10/2010 10:52:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

They need removed.

Throwing bricks = Crime of Assault/attempted murder. Correct response is self-defence or criminal prosecution. Both would solve the problem.

What happened in your case was that the bullies were encouraged indeed facilitated. If the law was followed or sufficient revenge inflicted upon them then the problem would have been solved.

Hahahha what your saying is have police called. I am still being made fun of because my mom called the cops twice. Once about kids throwing rocks at me from across the street (broke a window) and the other because her and stepdad were having a pretty bad fight.
The last thing I will ever do is call the cops.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 1:25:42 PM
At 10/10/2010 12:21:12 PM, lovelife wrote:

They need removed.

Hahahha what your saying is have police called. I am still being made fun of because my mom called the cops twice. Once about kids throwing rocks at me from across the street (broke a window) and the other because her and stepdad were having a pretty bad fight.

That doesn't really illustrate why calling the cops would have been a bad decision in either situation. Being made fun of isn't a reason to throw out the police as an option.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 1:47:19 PM
At 10/10/2010 1:25:42 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

They need removed.

That doesn't really illustrate why calling the cops would have been a bad decision in either situation. Being made fun of isn't a reason to throw out the police as an option.

The cops did nothing. All they did was basically say "Throwing rocks is bad, mmkay"
Calling cops just adds fuel to the fire, and I know that. Plus I hate talking to cops.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 2:02:28 PM
At 10/10/2010 1:47:19 PM, lovelife wrote:
The cops did nothing. All they did was basically say "Throwing rocks is bad, mmkay"
Calling cops just adds fuel to the fire, and I know that. Plus I hate talking to cops.

Well, ideally, the cops would be a little harder on the offenders than that. I'm sure your faith in cops is nearly non-existent with your experiences. Can't expect too much when the crime isn't substantial though.

Well, lets return to the discussion on bullies. I haven't had any bully experience, so I can't really add anything.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 2:06:31 PM
Bullies are yet another example of why cops are really useless. Cops aren't busting bullies, they are chasing around the little tokers trying to give them fines. When something really bad happens, the cops show up and swarm around to give a good show.

Bullies can be terrible.
no comment
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 2:08:13 PM
At 10/10/2010 2:02:28 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

Well, ideally, the cops would be a little harder on the offenders than that. I'm sure your faith in cops is nearly non-existent with your experiences. Can't expect too much when the crime isn't substantial though.

....all they do is eat donuts, steal weed and tell kids that violence and drugs is bad.

Well, lets return to the discussion on bullies. I haven't had any bully experience, so I can't really add anything.

Lol thats awesome discussion material there :p

Truth is bullies are everywhere and bullying is like a virus, the more it happens, the more people do it. It makes them feel better. I just think this is something that needs to end. Even if you haven't been bullied I'm sure you've seen someone get bullied.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 2:19:10 PM

Yeah, but a broken neck would do even better.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 2:24:02 PM
At 10/10/2010 2:08:13 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/10/2010 2:02:28 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

....all they do is eat donuts, steal weed and tell kids that violence and drugs is bad.

Stereotypes, nice...

Lol thats awesome discussion material there :p

The point was I had nothing else to contribute, so I was done.

Truth is bullies are everywhere and bullying is like a virus, the more it happens, the more people do it. It makes them feel better. I just think this is something that needs to end. Even if you haven't been bullied I'm sure you've seen someone get bullied.

I didn't read the original post. What is your solution for the problem? Just knowing its a problem doesn't change much.
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 4:03:15 AM

They need removed.

Well in that case you, or a suitable proxy has to take the law into your own hands. If you can't somehow befriend the bully, then making them suffer to a sufficient degree is the only way.

Now I am not literally saying you should get a baseball bat and attack them, but someone needs to do something so that the joy they get out of bullying is insufficient to meet the price they pay for the privilege.

Personally there is nothing I would not do to prevent my kids from being bullied. Once a few alternatives had been attempted. But in truth if I had been bullied I would have struggled to defend myself.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 5:24:16 AM
At 10/11/2010 4:03:15 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

They need removed.

Well in that case you, or a suitable proxy has to take the law into your own hands. If you can't somehow befriend the bully, then making them suffer to a sufficient degree is the only way.

.....vigilantism, sweet.

Now I am not literally saying you should get a baseball bat and attack them, but someone needs to do something so that the joy they get out of bullying is insufficient to meet the price they pay for the privilege.

Well what am I supposed to do? Only time people became scared/unwilling to bully me was when my dad got in their face and practically threatened them. I'm sure that even if he wasn't thousands of miles away, now he'd simply say that it helps me cope with peers, and teaches me life lessons so shouldn't be helped or whatever.

Personally there is nothing I would not do to prevent my kids from being bullied. Once a few alternatives had been attempted. But in truth if I had been bullied I would have struggled to defend myself.

Oh yes of course. The only problem I have is when the victim strikes back, they get in trouble, especially at school. School policy was that if someone hits you you better not hit back or else you will get suspended for longer then they do for joining in mutual combat. But they never do anything against bullies, not even the violent ones. I was bleeding and told 5 diff teachers and a principle and they were all "Well what do you want me to do?"
I'm sure it isn't unique to the area. I doubt its even unique to school.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 7:38:38 PM
Also just read the info of something on facebook:

"On October 7, 1998 21-year-old Matthew Shepard was offered a ride home from a bar by two men, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson. After he told the men he was gay, they robbed him, beat him, tied him to a fence, and left him there to die. He was discovered there 18 hours later by a young man who originally mistook him for a scarecrow. Matthew suffered fractures to the back of his head and the front of his right ear. He experie...nced severe brain-stem damage which affected his body's ability to regulate his heart rate, body temperature, and other vital functions. There were also a dozen small lacerations around his head, face, and neck. With all of these factors combined, his injures were too severe for the doctors to operate. Matthew never regained conciousness, and 5 days later he was pronounced dead at 12:53 A.M. on October 12, 1998.

Matt Shepard was a victim of a hate crime. What I'm asking of you is to wear black for one day not only in his memory, but to help educate others and replace their hate with compassion and acceptance.

Being a teenager is hard enough as it is. No one should be ashamed to be gay, straight, lesbian, black, white, jewish, or anything else you can think of. We're all the same inside and we need to work together to help tolerate hate.

This is incredibly important because with teen suicide rates at an all-time high, we need to change something. Lately it seems as though the only thing we hear about in the news is teens who have been mocked for who they are and have decided to strike out. This cannot go on any longer.

What i'm asking of you is to wear black for one day. Something as small as that can make a huge impact on our society.

Please spread the word.

On another note, Buffalo Grove High School is performing The Laramie Project October 21 at 7 PM and 22-23 at 7:30 PM in the Auditorium. We'd appreciate a large audience for we're working hard to spread a wonderful message."