Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Benefits of homeschooling (15 Advantages)

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 4:46:21 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Contrary to what you have probably heard, homeschooling is not bad for children nor is it bad for their parents. Here are 15 benefits of homeschooling outlined by Sonlight Curriculum, Ltd. [1]:

You get to . . .

1.) Control what your children learn and when they learn it.

2.) Show your children that learning is not boring, but exciting.

3.) Build intimate and meaningful relationships with your children.

4.) Tailor your teaching to fit your children's dominant learning styles.

5.) Give your children in-depth, personal attention in any subject with which they struggle or excel.

6.) Create a weekly schedule that fits your needs and allows you to do things without the constraint of a traditional classroom schedule.

7.) Transfer your values and beliefs to your children and address their questions when they have them.

8.) Protect your children from the negative influences they may encounter outside the home.

9.) Teach more effectively by interacting with your children 1-on-1.

10.) Nurture your children's natural (musical, artistic, mathematic) talents so they thrive and grow.

11.) Address "big issues" with your children when you feel they're ready.

12.) Share with your children the common, everyday joys of life.

13.) Help your children mature through the difficult times in their lives.

14.) Share the joy of teaching your children with your spouse.

15.) Take vacations during the school year and make them educational.

On top of this, research has been done that shows "homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects." [2]

A study by Bob Jones University also shows, on average, that home education students score above the national norm in all subject areas on standardized achievement tests. These students scored, on average, at the 72nd percentile in terms of a combination of their reading, language, and math performance. This is well above the national average. [3]

Sources:

[1] http://www.sonlight.com...
[2] https://www.hslda.org...
[3] "Study Shows Homeschoolers Ahead in Achievement," The Grapevine: Montana Home School News, January, 1991 newsletter, Seeley Lake, MT, p. 6.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 4:47:22 PM
I think this would make a great debate topic. If anyone is interested in debating me on this topic, please do send a debate challenge. I'm free this week (it's Christmas :-D) and you can expect me not to forfeit. Thanks.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:26:43 AM
I'm sure there's quite a lot of psychological benefits, but the main effects are the quality of education/experience itself.

Also, it is quite a large strain on the parents themselves, and you don't necessarily create any social skills, unless you do any extra activities, as in religion or sports.

This is my personal bias though. I would hate to be home schooled, as my parents are irritating to an extreme. Other than that, I would prefer it over regular schooling, as I have no desire to be indoctrinated into liberal ideas, nor would I enjoy taking a multitude of useless courses.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:33:27 AM
At 12/19/2015 4:46:21 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

I agree that homeschooling should be an option, and everything you said was pretty much on point. But this one here makes it sound more like homeschooling is used by parents to ensure they don't learn about any ideas other than what their parents tell them.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:01:26 PM
I only need one benefit, to stop liberal indoctrination. He'll even if it isn't liberal indoctrination, it's still indoctrination. School doesn't teach kids how to think, it teaches them how to memorize, and half the facts they memorize are wrong, and all of them are debatable
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 2:18:57 PM
At 12/20/2015 1:01:26 PM, Wylted wrote:
I only need one benefit, to stop liberal indoctrination. He'll even if it isn't liberal indoctrination, it's still indoctrination. School doesn't teach kids how to think, it teaches them how to memorize, and half the facts they memorize are wrong, and all of them are debatable

I think that this is largely due to the West's wholesale abandonment of the Trivium, which simply isn't really taught any more. I don't think that homeschooling is the answer though, as it seldom teaches such subjects. I think that homeschooled students do benefit from often being indoctrinated in ways which run against the cultural grain, which forces them to eventually, when they enter society at large, confront the fact that they have been indoctrinated and learn how to distinguish truth from error. People whose indoctrination lines up with everyone else's indoctrination are less likely to be confronted with a different worldview which they cannot dismiss out of hand. But it's still crude compared to a classical education.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 5:52:56 PM
At 12/19/2015 4:46:21 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Contrary to what you have probably heard, homeschooling is not bad for children nor is it bad for their parents. Here are 15 benefits of homeschooling outlined by Sonlight Curriculum, Ltd. [1]:

You get to . . .

For the 'when': If the child has special needs, (s)he can go to a school with smaller classes that cater better for kids' individual needs. As for the 'what', homeschooling parents should teach kids the same curriculum that regular schools teach anyway.
2.) Show your children that learning is not boring, but exciting.
Parents can also be boring, and teachers can also be interesting. It all depends on the parent/teacher.
3.) Build intimate and meaningful relationships with your children.
It's still possible to spend quality time with kids after school.
4.) Tailor your teaching to fit your children's dominant learning styles.
Same as 1). Also, most of learning should be done not in class, but in study rooms, at home, etc. After school, after finishing homework, kids can revise the material they learnt in any way they wish.
5.) Give your children in-depth, personal attention in any subject with which they struggle or excel.
Why would they need personal attention if they excel? They can easily be autodidacts on that subject. I know that from personal experience, having studied advanced ESL books as a kid.
6.) Create a weekly schedule that fits your needs and allows you to do things without the constraint of a traditional classroom schedule.
What's wrong with a traditional classroom schedule?
7.) Transfer your values and beliefs to your children and address their questions when they have them.
That is still possible if the kids go to school?
8.) Protect your children from the negative influences they may encounter outside the home.
IMHO this is the worst reason. I agree that children should be 'shielded' from certain issues that they aren't old enough to learn about (sex, drugs, violence) but as long as the kids go to a school that enforces discipline, etc., it should not be an issue.
9.) Teach more effectively by interacting with your children 1-on-1.
When you look at society as a whole, the lack of division of labour leads to inefficiency. Teachers have comparative advantage in teaching over parents (even if they do not have absolute advantage, although they usually do).
10.) Nurture your children's natural (musical, artistic, mathematic) talents so they thrive and grow.
Still possible without homeschooling; enroll the kids in ECAs.
11.) Address "big issues" with your children when you feel they're ready.
Still possible without homeschooling
12.) Share with your children the common, everyday joys of life.
13.) Help your children mature through the difficult times in their lives.
14.) Share the joy of teaching your children with your spouse.
I don't disagree with this, but not all parents are good at teaching so it won't necessarily be a happy experience.
15.) Take vacations during the school year and make them educational.
What good do vacations do? Do you think an educational trip to a zoo is an efficient learning tool when books and documentaries can teach several times that within a much shorter time period and at a much lower cost?
On top of this, research has been done that shows "homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects." [2]

A study by Bob Jones University also shows, on average, that home education students score above the national norm in all subject areas on standardized achievement tests. These students scored, on average, at the 72nd percentile in terms of a combination of their reading, language, and math performance. This is well above the national average. [3]
Parents who choose homeschooling usually have the time and ability, and thus do so well. Most parents do not have one, the other, or (in most cases) both. If parents who are not fit for homeschooling adopted this practice, homeschooled students would nto have scored so well.
Sources:

[1] http://www.sonlight.com...
[2] https://www.hslda.org...
[3] "Study Shows Homeschoolers Ahead in Achievement," The Grapevine: Montana Home School News, January, 1991 newsletter, Seeley Lake, MT, p. 6.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...