Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is eradicating Christianity destroying U.S.?

Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 12:05:28 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

I'm unsure. What are your thoughts?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:20:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
I understand, but I don't think the OP is talking about eradication as a natural process. I'm pretty sure the reference is to eradication by human involvement. Therefore, it would be contradictory to refer to it as a good thing because of it's relationship to indoctrination.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:27:21 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:20:06 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
I understand, but I don't think the OP is talking about eradication as a natural process. I'm pretty sure the reference is to eradication by human involvement. Therefore, it would be contradictory to refer to it as a good thing because of it's relationship to indoctrination.
And why can't indoctrination be a good thing? :) It very much depends on what is being instilled. It's like propaganda - usually a bad thing, but not 100% of the time.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:34:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:27:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:20:06 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
I understand, but I don't think the OP is talking about eradication as a natural process. I'm pretty sure the reference is to eradication by human involvement. Therefore, it would be contradictory to refer to it as a good thing because of it's relationship to indoctrination.
And why can't indoctrination be a good thing? :) It very much depends on what is being instilled. It's like propaganda - usually a bad thing, but not 100% of the time.
Yes, but keep in mind, this is all in reference to a statement made by given forum member:

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.

What this member seems to be saying is that indoctrination into a belief system (or out of a belief system) of any kind is bad.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:41:20 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what/who are the sources of these stereotypes you're referring to?
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 6:54:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

OP is assuming that there is some deliberate eradication of Christianity taking place. By erosion I meant to show the difference, no one's going after Christianity's place in America with a strong purpose, there's just been a change in what society believes is justifiable religious influence.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 7:08:13 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:54:06 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

OP is assuming that there is some deliberate eradication of Christianity taking place. By erosion I meant to show the difference, no one's going after Christianity's place in America with a strong purpose, there's just been a change in what society believes is justifiable religious influence.
Are you sure you can claim there's no deliberate attempt at eradication of Christianity taking place?

Even hardcore atheist Richard Dawkins seems to acknowledge it:

But at this point he turns it back around again. I try to clarify my own views to him. "You would feel deprived if there weren"t any churches?" he asks. "Yes," I respond. He mulls this before replying. "I would feel deprived in the same spirit of the English cricket match that I mentioned, that is close to my heart. Yes, I would feel a loss there. I would feel an aesthetic loss. I would miss church bells, that kind of thing."

And what about the fear of losing the tradition? "Yes. I sort of understand that. I certainly would absolutely never do what some of my American colleagues do and object to religious symbols being used, putting crosses up in the public square and things like that, I don"t fret about that at all, I"m quite happy about that. But I think I share your Anglican nostalgia, especially when you look at the competition."


http://www.spectator.co.uk...

I'm sure you're familiar with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Do you really think they wouldn't deliberately eradicate religion if they had the power?

If the FFRF believed what you do, that there's some change in what society believes, they wouldn't bother going after statues of Jesus on ski resorts, cheerleaders using biblical scripture on signs, etc.
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 7:12:29 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 7:08:13 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Are you sure you can claim there's no deliberate attempt at eradication of Christianity taking place?

Not any attempts that are successful.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Do you really think they wouldn't deliberately eradicate religion if they had the power?

There's a reason no one takes them seriously.

If the FFRF believed what you do, that there's some change in what society believes, they wouldn't bother going after statues of Jesus on ski resorts, cheerleaders using biblical scripture on signs, etc.

They've been wasting their time on nonsense like that for years. The general public really doesn't care about statues of Jesus or anything like that.

The only attempts to eradicate Christianity that are deliberate are to take it out of politics and the way the country is run. And doing that will only benefit the US. Socially, people are just changing the way they think, and that happens all the time.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 7:26:51 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 7:12:29 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 7:08:13 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Are you sure you can claim there's no deliberate attempt at eradication of Christianity taking place?

Not any attempts that are successful.

The FFRF have been successful at times.

I'm sure you're familiar with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Do you really think they wouldn't deliberately eradicate religion if they had the power?

There's a reason no one takes them seriously.

Why not?
If the FFRF believed what you do, that there's some change in what society believes, they wouldn't bother going after statues of Jesus on ski resorts, cheerleaders using biblical scripture on signs, etc.

They've been wasting their time on nonsense like that for years. The general public really doesn't care about statues of Jesus or anything like that.

Really? Who do you think notifies the FFRF about given situations they've taken action on? Do you think they just went after those cheerleaders in Texas on their own?

The only attempts to eradicate Christianity that are deliberate are to take it out of politics and the way the country is run. And doing that will only benefit the US. Socially, people are just changing the way they think, and that happens all the time.
Sure. People change their views on Christianity in both directions. Some Christians are becoming atheists, some atheists are becoming Christians.

Where is Christianity in politics?
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 11:21:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 7:26:51 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Why not?
They waste so much time going after useless instances of religion, like their billboards about "taking the religion out of Christmas."

Where is Christianity in politics?
It's influence on politics, such as the GOP base that demands the US president be a confirmed Christian, the whole deal with gay marriage. I remember specifically in the fox news GOP debate they had a segment where they asked candidates about their "relationship with god."
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 11:31:04 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:34:02 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:27:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:20:06 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
I understand, but I don't think the OP is talking about eradication as a natural process. I'm pretty sure the reference is to eradication by human involvement. Therefore, it would be contradictory to refer to it as a good thing because of it's relationship to indoctrination.
And why can't indoctrination be a good thing? :) It very much depends on what is being instilled. It's like propaganda - usually a bad thing, but not 100% of the time.
Yes, but keep in mind, this is all in reference to a statement made by given forum member:

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.

What this member seems to be saying is that indoctrination into a belief system (or out of a belief system) of any kind is bad.

So you're saying that
-Midnight thinks indoctrination itself is bad
-The erosion of Christianity must involve indoctrination
-Therefore, Midnight's stance is inconsistent?

Am I understanding correctly?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 11:31:58 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 6:41:20 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what/who are the sources of these stereotypes you're referring to?

I don't know lol. But stereotypically, Americans only care about power, money and sex...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Geogeer
Posts: 4,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:32:58 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Yes. The western world is underpinned by a Christian philosophy. As people lose their faith the underpinnings of society will collapse.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:52:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.

"A kingdom divided cannot stand."
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:29:21 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 1:52:01 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
"A kingdom divided cannot stand."

Wow! So you actually want to indoctrinate all citizens and discourage any new thinking. It'll be funny to see how you'll defend this stance.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 3:56:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 2:29:21 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:52:01 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
"A kingdom divided cannot stand."

Wow! So you actually want to indoctrinate all citizens and discourage any new thinking. It'll be funny to see how you'll defend this stance.

Nope. But the fact still remains. United fronts stand. Ununited fronts divide and fall as is happening in American. The antiChristian movement simply hastens the divide, thus hastening the fall.
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:18:42 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 3:56:27 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
At 12/22/2015 2:29:21 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:52:01 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
"A kingdom divided cannot stand."

Wow! So you actually want to indoctrinate all citizens and discourage any new thinking. It'll be funny to see how you'll defend this stance.

Nope. But the fact still remains. United fronts stand. Ununited fronts divide and fall as is happening in American. The antiChristian movement simply hastens the divide, thus hastening the fall.

now that is funny. doesn't the bible say you can't serve 2 masters?
so by that logic christians shouldn't run for government offices to begin with
because the government is supposed to serve it's citizens interests, not your god's interests
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:22:33 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 3:56:27 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Nope. But the fact still remains. United fronts stand. Ununited fronts divide and fall as is happening in American. The antiChristian movement simply hastens the divide, thus hastening the fall.

There is no evidence of that. People can be united without having their thoughts and ideas tightly regulated, believe it or not. But I guess you're not one for new ideas.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:32:11 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)

This assumes that religion is the origin of morality and quite frankly there isn't really much evidence to support that conclusion. Morality most likely developed as a way for social primates to survive.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:46:14 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 5:32:11 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)

This assumes that religion is the origin of morality and quite frankly there isn't really much evidence to support that conclusion. Morality most likely developed as a way for social primates to survive.

I never said religion is the origin of morality? I'm saying it's a crutch: it can enforce morality when self-cultivation is insufficient.

Morality is developed from a set of universal basic principles underpinning all human nature. Yet it is not always given full development in every person, which is why humans may fall prey to their animalistic desires, creating immorality. Religion, like laws, can enforce morality by preaching dogmas about heaven and hell, creating social pressure to conform to religious teachings, etc. That can 'force' people to act morally. The good things is that it keeps society together; the bad thing is that most people are following rules rather than truly developing their virtues and getting rid of their vices.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:50:57 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 5:46:14 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/22/2015 5:32:11 AM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)

This assumes that religion is the origin of morality and quite frankly there isn't really much evidence to support that conclusion. Morality most likely developed as a way for social primates to survive.

I never said religion is the origin of morality? I'm saying it's a crutch: it can enforce morality when self-cultivation is insufficient.

Morality is developed from a set of universal basic principles underpinning all human nature. Yet it is not always given full development in every person, which is why humans may fall prey to their animalistic desires, creating immorality. Religion, like laws, can enforce morality by preaching dogmas about heaven and hell, creating social pressure to conform to religious teachings, etc. That can 'force' people to act morally. The good things is that it keeps society together; the bad thing is that most people are following rules rather than truly developing their virtues and getting rid of their vices.

Ah ok, good to get that cleared up.
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Posts: 1,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:18:39 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 5:22:33 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/22/2015 3:56:27 AM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Nope. But the fact still remains. United fronts stand. Ununited fronts divide and fall as is happening in American. The antiChristian movement simply hastens the divide, thus hastening the fall.

There is no evidence of that. People can be united without having their thoughts and ideas tightly regulated, believe it or not. But I guess you're not one for new ideas.

I don't want anyone's thoughts regulated. There are hundreds of denominations within Christianity that believe in different ways, but they have a unifying factor; Christ.

There has always been Atheism and noChristian peoples in the U.S., but there has not always been the attempt to eradicate it from society. And the gap has widened.

You say a people can be unified, but they aren't. The Liberals and Conservatives have never thought more far apart. Jimmy Carter(aLiberal), would remind you more of a modern day conservative. A liberal today is nothing like a modern day conservative. In WWII my father said he never once met an open Atheist in his service time amongst American personel. The motto was "For God, for family, for country." Do you see how powerful that unity is? Whether you belief in God or not, common beliefs are extremely unifying. Look at the Muslims. Theyare more unified than America.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:49:56 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/20/2015 11:21:22 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/20/2015 7:26:51 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Why not?
They waste so much time going after useless instances of religion, like their billboards about "taking the religion out of Christmas."

I understand that you personally feel it's a waste of time, and so do many other non-Christians. But how you feel personally has nothing to do with those who obviously do want to eradicate Christianity. You're apparent claim is they don't exist.
Where is Christianity in politics?
It's influence on politics, such as the GOP base that demands the US president be a confirmed Christian, the whole deal with gay marriage. I remember specifically in the fox news GOP debate they had a segment where they asked candidates about their "relationship with god."
What demand that the US president be a confirmed Christian? There have been opinions expressed in religious gatherings that the president should be a praying man, but that's not a demand, that's opinion made within an appropriate environment. What exactly are you talking about?

The whole deal with gay marriage is not a religious issue. It's a secular issue. Just because many people against gay marriage are religious does not make it a religious issue. There are actually gay people who are against gay marriage.

There is nothing in any law or political affair that cites Biblical scripture as a model for it's existence. Not the gay marriage issue, not the abortion issue, not the Blue laws, etc. They are secular issues.

As far as the GOP debate where candidates were asked about "their relationship with God", you'll have to be a lot more specific than that.
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 1:59:40 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 11:31:04 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:34:02 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:27:21 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:20:06 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:12:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:06:58 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 1:39:23 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/19/2015 11:30:42 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
Is the slow eradication of Christianity dividing the U.S. into chaos?

Definitely not. The erosion of Christianity's influence on society is actually a pretty good thing. It means religion has less influence on society and government, which is always welcome.

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.
The OP didn't mention anything about erosion. The term used is eradicating. If you think eradication of Christianity is ok, then you're contradicting yourself.

The OP said slow eradication, which is similar to erosion. Given tectonic stability, fluvial geomorphic processes, particularly fluvial erosion, can create a peneplain (https://en.wikipedia.org...), which IMO would count as 'eradicating' the original rocks and hills.
I understand, but I don't think the OP is talking about eradication as a natural process. I'm pretty sure the reference is to eradication by human involvement. Therefore, it would be contradictory to refer to it as a good thing because of it's relationship to indoctrination.
And why can't indoctrination be a good thing? :) It very much depends on what is being instilled. It's like propaganda - usually a bad thing, but not 100% of the time.
Yes, but keep in mind, this is all in reference to a statement made by given forum member:

The idea that it's "dividing the US into chaos" is suggesting that the only way to keep order is to indoctrinate all US citizens with one belief system.

What this member seems to be saying is that indoctrination into a belief system (or out of a belief system) of any kind is bad.

So you're saying that
-Midnight thinks indoctrination itself is bad
-The erosion of Christianity must involve indoctrination
-Therefore, Midnight's stance is inconsistent?

Am I understanding correctly?
No. I don't think so. Midnight is obviously against specifically indoctrinating into a specific religion. I might be stepping out on a limb by suggesting Midnight is also against indoctrinating out of religion as well. I personally think by erosion, Midnight is referring to a natural corporate voluntary move away from Christianity without any kind of coercion or indoctrination.

From reading Midnight's posts, what do you think?
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:01:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 11:31:58 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/20/2015 6:41:20 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 12/20/2015 5:56:53 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Religion is like a crutch. It is a tool that can keep society together, when the level of morality is not high enough. If it's eradicated, that can either be a good thing (the injured person can walk all by himself and no longer needs the crutch, i.e. people are all moral and no longer need religion) or a bad one (the injured person cannot walk properly, but is striped of his crutch, i.e. morality is degenerating in the absence of religion.)

I don't know which situation is occurring in the US as I do not live there. (Based on American stereotypes though, we tend to think the US is going the latter path...)
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what/who are the sources of these stereotypes you're referring to?

I don't know lol. But stereotypically, Americans only care about power, money and sex...
This seems to be a fairly universal stereotype. Are people in your country less power hungry, money and sex driven?