Total Posts:60|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is feminism needed in Western society?

PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 5:16:18 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

I do not think feminist movements, as they currently exist, are needed in Western society.
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 7:44:04 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed.

This. (and also, I believe inequality exists between men and women in Western society)

Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Why do you think radical feminism is not needed?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 8:02:40 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
You can't judge ideas under a vast umbrella term.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.
uniferous
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment. There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women. As well as this, there are still people out in the streets today that protest against the rights of women and there are still incidents in which women are mistreated and abused because of their sex. Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished. A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.
#Uniferous
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:31:53 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 7:44:04 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed.

This. (and also, I believe inequality exists between men and women in Western society)

Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Why do you think radical feminism is not needed?

Because it's not an decent representation of feminism, if you could even call it feminism. It advocates for the social and political destruction of men on grounds that the male sex is to blame for everything wrong in the world. To me, that's regressive and does not help in ending patriarchal institutions, only promotes matriarchal institutions. However, I may be misinformed as this was something I was taught, not something I am entirely sure of. One thing is certain, the nonsense that a lot of "feminists" today promote, specifically on social media platforms, is not beneficial at all.
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:48:38 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment.

No there isn't. Why does this myth need to be addressed every single day on here?

There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women.

Not a result of sexism genius. Jobs applied to more by men will obviously be dominated by men, such as the jobs applied to by women will be made up mostly of women. It is not sexism that more women are hairdressers.

As well as this, there are still people out in the streets today that protest against the rights of women and there are still incidents in which women are mistreated and abused because of their sex.

I haven't seen this, unless you're referring to abortion, which isn't about the rights of the woman, but just take place to protect the rights of the defenseless child.

Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished. A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.

That's a stupid solution, and sexism can not be eliminated. Instead of focusing on problems that rarely if ever happen, perhaps we should focus on important problems.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?
Robkwoods
Posts: 576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:19:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

It is and was never needed. Well, it never should have snaked its way into politics. When you are making bias policy based on ideology, things tend to get all fvcked up.
Robkwoods
Posts: 576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:42:17 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Inequality in everything: I can type faster than you. Should we make a law? Is the law going to correct the inequality?

Politics: Actually, I am unsure of the first woman in government. But it doesn't matter, women have been half of the population for a while, yet they still aren't making their way into politics. Probably patriarchy.

Social Standards: Welcome to the patriarchy, where you don't even have to put down your own toilet seat.

Criminal Justice: Enjoy lesser sentences for the same crime. PATRIARCHY.

Gender roles: SJW nonsense.

Career opportunity: I want to see woman complaining about the disproportionality in manual labor jobs e.g. trashman, welding, construction, mining. If you want to skip the interview and go straight to the top, be a woman who applies for STEM job.

Educational opportunity: Women outnumber Men in higher education, and if you want to be a shoo-in for higher education be a woman.

Income inequality: In terms of discrimination this has been debunked by EMPIRICAL data to the point of exhaustion. I think we are just going to have to start shooting people who still believe this nonsense. More to the point, never married women make 108% of what a never married man makes (when control for job, education, hours, etc.). Also take a look at Asian women, they are cleaning up. We thought white people were priviledged.
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:54:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 1:42:17 PM, Robkwoods wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Inequality in everything: I can type faster than you. Should we make a law? Is the law going to correct the inequality?

Politics: Actually, I am unsure of the first woman in government. But it doesn't matter, women have been half of the population for a while, yet they still aren't making their way into politics. Probably patriarchy.

Social Standards: Welcome to the patriarchy, where you don't even have to put down your own toilet seat.

Criminal Justice: Enjoy lesser sentences for the same crime. PATRIARCHY.

Gender roles: SJW nonsense.

Career opportunity: I want to see woman complaining about the disproportionality in manual labor jobs e.g. trashman, welding, construction, mining. If you want to skip the interview and go straight to the top, be a woman who applies for STEM job.

Educational opportunity: Women outnumber Men in higher education, and if you want to be a shoo-in for higher education be a woman.

Income inequality: In terms of discrimination this has been debunked by EMPIRICAL data to the point of exhaustion. I think we are just going to have to start shooting people who still believe this nonsense. More to the point, never married women make 108% of what a never married man makes (when control for job, education, hours, etc.). Also take a look at Asian women, they are cleaning up. We thought white people were priviledged.

I'm not even going to address any of your points because it's all based on tired assumptions about my position that I never made. I didn't specify that women were the sole receiver of unequal treatment in any of the institutions I mentioned, you ASSUMED that's what I was implying. I know men face inequality compared to women in various areas of society, my position is to also dismantle that as well. As for the rest of your asinine rambling about race and other things that have nothing to do with sex or gender, also don't care because it's irrelevant. Try not being a douche and maybe I will take what you have to say seriously next time. Thanks.
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:57:32 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 5:16:18 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

I do not think feminist movements, as they currently exist, are needed in Western society.

This.
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 1:57:51 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all

Where in this thread or in the OP does it specify anything about discussing discrimination only against women? Looks like reading isn't your strong suit.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:03:55 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 1:57:51 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all

Where in this thread or in the OP does it specify anything about discussing discrimination only against women? Looks like reading isn't your strong suit.

Don't be stupid, you know the intention. The op is about feminism and you bring up discrimination against men, seems kinda stupid
briantheliberal
Posts: 722
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:09:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 2:03:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:57:51 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all

Where in this thread or in the OP does it specify anything about discussing discrimination only against women? Looks like reading isn't your strong suit.

Don't be stupid, you know the intention. The op is about feminism and you bring up discrimination against men, seems kinda stupid

No, what's stupid is your inability to comprehend basic ideas when brought up in conversations. Feminism is based on the advocation of equal rights and treatment between men and women. This includes opposing discrimination against men as well. That's how it works. Maybe educating yourself about a topic before speaking on it would be beneficial to you to avoid embarrassing yourself.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Robkwoods
Posts: 576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:26:41 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 1:54:41 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:42:17 PM, Robkwoods wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Inequality in everything: I can type faster than you. Should we make a law? Is the law going to correct the inequality?

Politics: Actually, I am unsure of the first woman in government. But it doesn't matter, women have been half of the population for a while, yet they still aren't making their way into politics. Probably patriarchy.

Social Standards: Welcome to the patriarchy, where you don't even have to put down your own toilet seat.

Criminal Justice: Enjoy lesser sentences for the same crime. PATRIARCHY.

Gender roles: SJW nonsense.

Career opportunity: I want to see woman complaining about the disproportionality in manual labor jobs e.g. trashman, welding, construction, mining. If you want to skip the interview and go straight to the top, be a woman who applies for STEM job.

Educational opportunity: Women outnumber Men in higher education, and if you want to be a shoo-in for higher education be a woman.

Income inequality: In terms of discrimination this has been debunked by EMPIRICAL data to the point of exhaustion. I think we are just going to have to start shooting people who still believe this nonsense. More to the point, never married women make 108% of what a never married man makes (when control for job, education, hours, etc.). Also take a look at Asian women, they are cleaning up. We thought white people were priviledged.

I'm not even going to address any of your points because it's all based on tired assumptions about my position that I never made. I didn't specify that women were the sole receiver of unequal treatment in any of the institutions I mentioned, you ASSUMED that's what I was implying. I know men face inequality compared to women in various areas of society, my position is to also dismantle that as well. As for the rest of your asinine rambling about race and other things that have nothing to do with sex or gender, also don't care because it's irrelevant. Try not being a douche and maybe I will take what you have to say seriously next time. Thanks.

Ummmm since when did bringing up facts equate to being a douche. The thread title says "Is feminism needed in Western society?"
Robkwoods
Posts: 576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:35:09 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 2:09:12 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 2:03:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:57:51 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all

Where in this thread or in the OP does it specify anything about discussing discrimination only against women? Looks like reading isn't your strong suit.

Don't be stupid, you know the intention. The op is about feminism and you bring up discrimination against men, seems kinda stupid

No, what's stupid is your inability to comprehend basic ideas when brought up in conversations. Feminism is based on the advocation of equal rights and treatment between men and women. This includes opposing discrimination against men as well. That's how it works. Maybe educating yourself about a topic before speaking on it would be beneficial to you to avoid embarrassing yourself.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

I love when individuals try to change the definition of a movement to make it seem unbias.

Also dare I say tu quoque...

The advocacy of women"s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:39:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 2:09:12 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 2:03:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:57:51 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:52:23 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 1:49:40 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:51:22 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Let's just start with one of these. Since I'm sure you put this many things so you could avoid discussing this in detail. That actually doesn't answer the question you were asked either.

Let's talk about the criminal justice system. Since women actually show disproportionate sentences than men (in their favor), are you suggesting they get more prison time?

Uh yes. Statistically men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that women commit and get convicted of so that's obviously what I was referring to. Anything else?

We were talking about discrimination against women in this thread. It seems like something odd to bring up, and not relative to this thread at all

Where in this thread or in the OP does it specify anything about discussing discrimination only against women? Looks like reading isn't your strong suit.

Don't be stupid, you know the intention. The op is about feminism and you bring up discrimination against men, seems kinda stupid

No, what's stupid is your inability to comprehend basic ideas when brought up in conversations. Feminism is based on the advocation of equal rights and treatment between men and women. This includes opposing discrimination against men as well. That's how it works. Maybe educating yourself about a topic before speaking on it would be beneficial to you to avoid embarrassing yourself.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Lol, no. Feminism is not about opposing discrimination in anything other than women. Wow Brian. You made a mistake about the judicial system and instead of being a real man and admitting to the mistake, you're doubling down on your mistake. Very pathetic.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:41:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Definition one in the first definition on Merrimack Webster expects the reader to presuppose women have lesser rights. So it is not about correcting injustices against men, and bringing up those injustices in this thread is inappropriate.
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:09:03 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment. There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women.

There are also certain jobs that statistically employ more women than men. Do you want there to be an exact 50/50 split in every profession? If so, why?

As well as this, there are still people out in the streets today that protest against the rights of women

Examples?

and there are still incidents in which women are mistreated and abused because of their sex.

This is very rare in western society.

Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished.

How can feminism abolish sexism? If anything, it appears the a lot of sexism nowadays is a backlash to feminism.

A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.

What would that involve?

At 12/23/2015 12:33:45 PM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/23/2015 9:47:50 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 12/23/2015 6:25:58 AM, briantheliberal wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

As long as inequality between men and women exist, yes it is needed. Radical and regressive feminism, however, is not needed.

Do you speak of equality of opportunity or equality of outcome.

Inequality in everything. Politics, social standards, the criminal justice system, gender roles, career and educational opportunities, income etc...

Would you say that women are unfairly disadvantaged in any of these areas?
uniferous
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:24:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 12:48:38 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment.

No there isn't. Why does this myth need to be addressed every single day on here?

http://www.prb.org...

There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women.

Not a result of sexism genius. Jobs applied to more by men will obviously be dominated by men, such as the jobs applied to by women will be made up mostly of women. It is not sexism that more women are hairdressers.

What you're doing here is a clear example of sexism. You're stereotyping. There is no scientific evidence proving that women are better at being hairdressers. Men can be too and the same applies vice versa in regards to jobs that most people think are best suited for men.

Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished. A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.

That's a stupid solution, and sexism can not be eliminated. Instead of focusing on problems that rarely if ever happen, perhaps we should focus on important problems.

That came out wrong when I said it. I mean get rid of it to a further extent so that it is so small that it is not really as big an issue as it currently is.
#Uniferous
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:31:24 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 3:24:02 PM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:48:38 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment.

No there isn't. Why does this myth need to be addressed every single day on here?

http://www.prb.org...

Seriously that has all been debunked. When you adjust by hourly rate, type of job and time on job, women get paid pretty much the same.

There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women.

Not a result of sexism genius. Jobs applied to more by men will obviously be dominated by men, such as the jobs applied to by women will be made up mostly of women. It is not sexism that more women are hairdressers.

What you're doing here is a clear example of sexism. You're stereotyping. There is no scientific evidence proving that women are better at being hairdressers. Men can be too and the same applies vice versa in regards to jobs that most people think are best suited for men.

So what, to say it is sexism that more women want to be hairdressers or that women don't like being trash truck drivers is silly. Women don't go after male dominated jobs because they don't want them, those fields remain make dominated not because employers are discriminating, but because women simply don't want to drive trash trucks, or whatever male or female dominated job you can think of.

Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished. A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.

That's a stupid solution, and sexism can not be eliminated. Instead of focusing on problems that rarely if ever happen, perhaps we should focus on important problems.

That came out wrong when I said it. I mean get rid of it to a further extent so that it is so small that it is not really as big an issue as it currently is.

People will always feel the need to fight against these imaginary oppressions, even if the oppression becomes virtually non existent, to the extent it is today. Hell if women and every minority were eliminated tomorrow, liberals would imagine that short people are being discriminated against and fight for them. It's merely a personality defect on their part.

For example if I were to debate you on the wage gap right now, and I were to win, you'd still push forward the same arguments, even though your premises were irreparably destroyed.
Robkwoods
Posts: 576
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:43:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/23/2015 3:24:02 PM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/23/2015 12:48:38 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 12/23/2015 11:02:39 AM, uniferous wrote:
At 12/22/2015 1:17:49 PM, Philocat wrote:
Is it?

There is inequality between women in terms of payment and employment.

No there isn't. Why does this myth need to be addressed every single day on here?

http://www.prb.org...

Did you read the article?
There were zero affirmations that the inequality needed to be addressed.

"This upward trend has often been interpreted to signify women"s increasing equality with men." They also make this assertion; which looks good on the surface, but is very flawed.

There are certain jobs that statistically employ more men than women.

Not a result of sexism genius. Jobs applied to more by men will obviously be dominated by men, such as the jobs applied to by women will be made up mostly of women. It is not sexism that more women are hairdressers.

What you're doing here is a clear example of sexism. You're stereotyping. There is no scientific evidence proving that women are better at being hairdressers. Men can be too and the same applies vice versa in regards to jobs that most people think are best suited for men.

That is what you got out of that statement.

Even if these sexist people are in the minority, we need to continue fighting until sexism is abolished. A good solution (in my opinion), would be to enforce a sex-based affirmative action system.

That's a stupid solution, and sexism can not be eliminated. Instead of focusing on problems that rarely if ever happen, perhaps we should focus on important problems.

That came out wrong when I said it. I mean get rid of it to a further extent so that it is so small that it is not really as big an issue as it currently is.

It is a big issue based on what?