Total Posts:224|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Small Things

studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:22:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You are probably familiar with the phrase, "It is the small things which we cherish in life." I never really stopped to analyze it or even consider it a valid sentiment. After setting goals for myself, becoming more aware of the world around me, and a duration of introspection, I truly have realized that the aforementioned statement does hold value.
For example, I'll look at my day today. I woke up, and I was able to remember one of last night's dreams where I was holding the hands of a popular girl and we were both participating in a sort of dance / sparring ordeal. When I woke up, I felt some sort of sensation that I usually don't receive from other dreams. It may all be in my head, but it did brighten my day and it made me feel better about myself.
I proceeded to get ready for school, attend school, take tests, quizzes, do a lab, complete basketball practice, etc. For the rest of the day (after waking up from the dream), where I should have placed value of academia work and its future applications, it seemed rather bland and unnecessary.
The one thing I reflect on is the fact that one of the most popular, attractive girls in my grade (different from the one in the dream) grabbed my hand and held onto it for a couple of seconds. It really was a small action, but it's been one of the brighter parts of my day. It's not that I'm one of the nerds who never interacts with girls (because I'm not), but it's more of the fact that I'm at the age where it is important to receive some sort of physical sensation or acknowledgement from the objects of my sexual preferences.
All in all, I never realized the impact that things so tiny and infinitesimal in nature can actually have on the "highlights" of your day. I never put physical interaction into consideration of my plans for the future, but I'm starting to consider an increase in this physical interaction something that can be quite a positive experience.

Thoughts? (About the concepts I discussed, not the personal anecdote.)
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:27:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:22:48 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
You are probably familiar with the phrase, "It is the small things which we cherish in life." I never really stopped to analyze it or even consider it a valid sentiment. After setting goals for myself, becoming more aware of the world around me, and a duration of introspection, I truly have realized that the aforementioned statement does hold value.
For example, I'll look at my day today. I woke up, and I was able to remember one of last night's dreams where I was holding the hands of a popular girl and we were both participating in a sort of dance / sparring ordeal. When I woke up, I felt some sort of sensation that I usually don't receive from other dreams. It may all be in my head, but it did brighten my day and it made me feel better about myself.
I proceeded to get ready for school, attend school, take tests, quizzes, do a lab, complete basketball practice, etc. For the rest of the day (after waking up from the dream), where I should have placed value of academia work and its future applications, it seemed rather bland and unnecessary.
The one thing I reflect on is the fact that one of the most popular, attractive girls in my grade (different from the one in the dream) grabbed my hand and held onto it for a couple of seconds. It really was a small action, but it's been one of the brighter parts of my day. It's not that I'm one of the nerds who never interacts with girls (because I'm not), but it's more of the fact that I'm at the age where it is important to receive some sort of physical sensation or acknowledgement from the objects of my sexual preferences.
All in all, I never realized the impact that things so tiny and infinitesimal in nature can actually have on the "highlights" of your day. I never put physical interaction into consideration of my plans for the future, but I'm starting to consider an increase in this physical interaction something that can be quite a positive experience.

Thoughts? (About the concepts I discussed, not the personal anecdote.)

Mazel Tov. When you learn to hunt out the small pleasures in life, you'll eventually find out the value of experience and practicality over idealism and intellectualization. I left this site shortly after I had that revelation and only came back once or twice a month to visit because I wanted to pursue that new understanding. There's so much happiness to be found in the simplest of things, it's just that we delude ourselves into thinking that we need to strive for the irrational and the grand, all that does it set the bar for happiness higher and higher until we jump and crash one day.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:30:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:27:52 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Mazel Tov. When you learn to hunt out the small pleasures in life, you'll eventually find out the value of experience and practicality over idealism and intellectualization. I left this site shortly after I had that revelation and only came back once or twice a month to visit because I wanted to pursue that new understanding. There's so much happiness to be found in the simplest of things, it's just that we delude ourselves into thinking that we need to strive for the irrational and the grand, all that does it set the bar for happiness higher and higher until we jump and crash one day.

Agreed. I'm especially learning how to turn negative events in my life into positive ones. You know what, I really am understanding how life (at least my life) benefits more at the availability of constant, simple pleasures rather than inconsistent, grandiose ones.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:37:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:30:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:27:52 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Mazel Tov. When you learn to hunt out the small pleasures in life, you'll eventually find out the value of experience and practicality over idealism and intellectualization. I left this site shortly after I had that revelation and only came back once or twice a month to visit because I wanted to pursue that new understanding. There's so much happiness to be found in the simplest of things, it's just that we delude ourselves into thinking that we need to strive for the irrational and the grand, all that does it set the bar for happiness higher and higher until we jump and crash one day.

Agreed. I'm especially learning how to turn negative events in my life into positive ones. You know what, I really am understanding how life (at least my life) benefits more at the availability of constant, simple pleasures rather than inconsistent, grandiose ones.

SAC8 is changing in the same way I am? heh, I guess he's the male version of me afterall.

But I agree its the small things that make us who we are, that define what we enjoy, what we remember, what we actually seek.
The small things add up, and only with them do you have the large amount of happiness that most seek from trying for the bigger things.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:46:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

I figured someone would type something similar to this.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:46:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:37:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:30:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:27:52 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Mazel Tov. When you learn to hunt out the small pleasures in life, you'll eventually find out the value of experience and practicality over idealism and intellectualization. I left this site shortly after I had that revelation and only came back once or twice a month to visit because I wanted to pursue that new understanding. There's so much happiness to be found in the simplest of things, it's just that we delude ourselves into thinking that we need to strive for the irrational and the grand, all that does it set the bar for happiness higher and higher until we jump and crash one day.

Agreed. I'm especially learning how to turn negative events in my life into positive ones. You know what, I really am understanding how life (at least my life) benefits more at the availability of constant, simple pleasures rather than inconsistent, grandiose ones.

SAC8 is changing in the same way I am? heh, I guess he's the male version of me afterall.

But I agree its the small things that make us who we are, that define what we enjoy, what we remember, what we actually seek.
The small things add up, and only with them do you have the large amount of happiness that most seek from trying for the bigger things.

I don't think we're too similar or versions of one another, but I agree with your sentiments.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:49:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:46:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:37:49 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:30:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:27:52 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Mazel Tov. When you learn to hunt out the small pleasures in life, you'll eventually find out the value of experience and practicality over idealism and intellectualization. I left this site shortly after I had that revelation and only came back once or twice a month to visit because I wanted to pursue that new understanding. There's so much happiness to be found in the simplest of things, it's just that we delude ourselves into thinking that we need to strive for the irrational and the grand, all that does it set the bar for happiness higher and higher until we jump and crash one day.

Agreed. I'm especially learning how to turn negative events in my life into positive ones. You know what, I really am understanding how life (at least my life) benefits more at the availability of constant, simple pleasures rather than inconsistent, grandiose ones.

SAC8 is changing in the same way I am? heh, I guess he's the male version of me afterall.

But I agree its the small things that make us who we are, that define what we enjoy, what we remember, what we actually seek.
The small things add up, and only with them do you have the large amount of happiness that most seek from trying for the bigger things.

I don't think we're too similar or versions of one another, but I agree with your sentiments.

Lol of course we aren't the same, but still.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:57:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

The small things give you the bigger picture.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:13:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

No, you've got it reversed. An irrational obsession with striving for greatness is the result of western propaganda. The vast majority of the population is made up of normal people who won't make any sort of awesome contribution to society. Our education system and media is devoted to spreading the propaganda that everyone is special and that they can do and be whatever they want, and that there is no ceiling.

The purpose is to encourage the fraction of a fraction of the populace with the potential to be great to do just that: be great.

Meanwhile, all the other regular people who have been adequately brainwashed are trying to find some means of expressing this individuality and uniqueness that every children's show emphasized in their formative years, usually through unproductive means like mindless rebellion or purposeless nonconformity. Occasionally, you get people who delve into hobbies, ideologies, or lifestyles that they eventually get obsessed over and allow to define them.

None of these people will ever achieve greatness, because they don't have the capacity for it. They are victims of western propaganda who are lost in a wild goose chase for a happiness that was right there the whole time, yet they keep on searching, keep on striving for more and more, finding that they never really get what they want.

Working adults and people with real responsibilities who have grown up realize the lie when they see how happy they can be by letting go, wanting less, and being happy with their capacity. They find love, start a family, raise children, and live realistic, practical, and happy lives.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:17:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:13:19 PM, Kleptin wrote:
No, you've got it reversed. An irrational obsession with striving for greatness is the result of western propaganda. The vast majority of the population is made up of normal people who won't make any sort of awesome contribution to society. Our education system and media is devoted to spreading the propaganda that everyone is special and that they can do and be whatever they want, and that there is no ceiling.

The purpose is to encourage the fraction of a fraction of the populace with the potential to be great to do just that: be great.

Meanwhile, all the other regular people who have been adequately brainwashed are trying to find some means of expressing this individuality and uniqueness that every children's show emphasized in their formative years, usually through unproductive means like mindless rebellion or purposeless nonconformity. Occasionally, you get people who delve into hobbies, ideologies, or lifestyles that they eventually get obsessed over and allow to define them.

None of these people will ever achieve greatness, because they don't have the capacity for it. They are victims of western propaganda who are lost in a wild goose chase for a happiness that was right there the whole time, yet they keep on searching, keep on striving for more and more, finding that they never really get what they want.

Working adults and people with real responsibilities who have grown up realize the lie when they see how happy they can be by letting go, wanting less, and being happy with their capacity. They find love, start a family, raise children, and live realistic, practical, and happy lives.

This.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:27:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:22:48 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
You are probably familiar with the phrase, "It is the small things which we cherish in life." I never really stopped to analyze it or even consider it a valid sentiment. After setting goals for myself, becoming more aware of the world around me, and a duration of introspection, I truly have realized that the aforementioned statement does hold value.
For example, I'll look at my day today. I woke up, and I was able to remember one of last night's dreams where I was holding the hands of a popular girl and we were both participating in a sort of dance / sparring ordeal. When I woke up, I felt some sort of sensation that I usually don't receive from other dreams. It may all be in my head, but it did brighten my day and it made me feel better about myself.
I proceeded to get ready for school, attend school, take tests, quizzes, do a lab, complete basketball practice, etc. For the rest of the day (after waking up from the dream), where I should have placed value of academia work and its future applications, it seemed rather bland and unnecessary.
The one thing I reflect on is the fact that one of the most popular, attractive girls in my grade (different from the one in the dream) grabbed my hand and held onto it for a couple of seconds. It really was a small action, but it's been one of the brighter parts of my day. It's not that I'm one of the nerds who never interacts with girls (because I'm not), but it's more of the fact that I'm at the age where it is important to receive some sort of physical sensation or acknowledgement from the objects of my sexual preferences.
All in all, I never realized the impact that things so tiny and infinitesimal in nature can actually have on the "highlights" of your day. I never put physical interaction into consideration of my plans for the future, but I'm starting to consider an increase in this physical interaction something that can be quite a positive experience.

Thoughts? (About the concepts I discussed, not the personal anecdote.)

Awesome. Welcome as Kleptin said. And you ain't seen nothing yet, that is just a taste of what is to come.

Wait until you hold your first child.

When you say I do with the softball in your throat. You feel like you yelled it to the whole world but it was only a whisper in reality.

The small stuff is the BEST. Riding in the car with the live of your life, looking over and being totally amazed and dumbfounded at her beauty.

The first steps.

The first words.

The first cut or bruise.

Money, fame and power can never gain these moments.

You will feel like your on top of the world and scared beyond anything you have ever known at the same time.

It's a humbling experience to finally realize how small you really are but also being so big and important to people that love you more then you will ever know.

Sitting with your child listening to all their world crushing problems and knowing what they think they are going through because you were there once too. Having the wisdom to give them the hints and clues so they can find their way through the dark.

You will never truely tire of these moments in your life. You will turn around and your baby girl will be 13 in a flash.

Just having a teen age daughter is an experience in itself. Wanting so bad to fix her problems but knowing you can't, just trying to be there to guide the best you can.

You will find yourself throwing off this way of thinking you may have now, your lived ones don't need it. They need love and sacrifice, the only thing that really matter in this life.

Dang, that got long. Sorry.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:30:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:27:07 PM, jharry wrote:

Awesome. Welcome as Kleptin said. And you ain't seen nothing yet, that is just a taste of what is to come.

Wait until you hold your first child.

When you say I do with the softball in your throat. You feel like you yelled it to the whole world but it was only a whisper in reality.

The small stuff is the BEST. Riding in the car with the live of your life, looking over and being totally amazed and dumbfounded at her beauty.

The first steps.

The first words.

The first cut or bruise.

Money, fame and power can never gain these moments.

You will feel like your on top of the world and scared beyond anything you have ever known at the same time.

It's a humbling experience to finally realize how small you really are but also being so big and important to people that love you more then you will ever know.

Sitting with your child listening to all their world crushing problems and knowing what they think they are going through because you were there once too. Having the wisdom to give them the hints and clues so they can find their way through the dark.

You will never truely tire of these moments in your life. You will turn around and your baby girl will be 13 in a flash.

Just having a teen age daughter is an experience in itself. Wanting so bad to fix her problems but knowing you can't, just trying to be there to guide the best you can.

You will find yourself throwing off this way of thinking you may have now, your lived ones don't need it. They need love and sacrifice, the only thing that really matter in this life.

Dang, that got long. Sorry.

Nice. And Kleptin, very well said.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:36:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:57:14 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

The small things give you the bigger picture.
No, your brain does.

An irrational obsession with striving for greatness is the result of western propaganda.
The west isn't a propagandizing entity. And there is nothing irrational about it.

The vast majority of the population is made up of normal people who won't make any sort of awesome contribution to society.
This does not mean that the little things are superior. It means they are inferior.

Our education system and media is devoted to spreading the propaganda that everyone is special
And typically focus on little "special" things to attempt to prove that.

If all you can achieve is mediocrity, oh well. Just don't ask people to lie for you.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:45:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
....I would rather have a nice life, be with the one I love, and cherish the small things, than to ever become president, a famous actress (or ever be on tv, yuck) I would rather help those close to me learn how to live life, than to be some famous scientist.
The small things>big things.

I would rather have one small necklace that shows emotion, life, love etc, than a big empty meaningless box.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:50:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:36:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:57:14 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

The small things give you the bigger picture.
No, your brain does.


Small details can ruin the bigger picture for your brain. Have you ever watched an action movie and the shadow was going the wrong way? The same way minute details can completely ruin the effect of something, they can also make something that much better.

It's little moments that can make your day if you come to appreciate them.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 9:56:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:50:11 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:36:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:57:14 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

The small things give you the bigger picture.
No, your brain does.



Small details can ruin the bigger picture for your brain. Have you ever watched an action movie and the shadow was going the wrong way?
No.

The same way minute details can completely ruin the effect of something, they can also make something that much better.
If it's a detail in crafting an airplane, perhaps.

It's little moments that can make your day if you come to appreciate them.
No. And certainly not qua little.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 10:49:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:36:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The west isn't a propagandizing entity. And there is nothing irrational about it.

^Evidence of effective propaganda.

This does not mean that the little things are superior. It means they are inferior.

Don't judge one by the scale of the other. Greatness in one sense is used in the sense of how much society achieves. The beauty of the little things is that it gives much more happiness to the individual. I'm a normal guy, I don't expect to cure cancer or invent a teleportation device. I'm happy knowing where I stand and what I'm capable of, and enjoying my life as it is without buying in to propaganda and always wondering why I'm never content.

And typically focus on little "special" things to attempt to prove that.

Nope. Have you witnessed American media? Great global feats accomplished by unexpected heroes who don't fit in with their peers? Someone whose values and ideals differ from that of his or her community eventually winds up being accepted after that difference becomes the key factor in facing some crisis?

There are no movies about stopping to smell the roses.

If all you can achieve is mediocrity, oh well. Just don't ask people to lie for you.

99.99% of the population =/= mediocre just because 0.01% is great.

And I'm not saying that people should lie for me. I'm saying people shouldn't lie to themselves. A lot of people who are obsessed with greatness delude themselves into thinking that they are better than others, are on some higher plane of existence, but they aren't cut out for greatness, aren't meant for it, and will never find it.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 12:00:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 8:37:41 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
This is nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to console themselves for not reaching for greatness. ^_^

kinda like "beauty's on the inside" for fat people.. lol

However... I am pleased by a great multitude of "small" things... and, though I would care for many different "big" things as well.... the small ones seem more accessible... and Kind of More worth My time seeking :P
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 2:03:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.

I don't believe Ragnar has ever been in love before. I believe we asked him once and he said he had a long distance relationship that didn't work out or something.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 2:31:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/12/2010 9:56:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Small details can ruin the bigger picture for your brain. Have you ever watched an action movie and the shadow was going the wrong way?
No.

The same way minute details can completely ruin the effect of something, they can also make something that much better.
If it's a detail in crafting an airplane, perhaps.

It's little moments that can make your day if you come to appreciate them.
No. And certainly not qua little.

You know, deliberate objectification of the world and belittling common pleasures is a defense mechanism for social isolation.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 3:22:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/13/2010 2:03:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.

I don't believe Ragnar has ever been in love before. I believe we asked him once and he said he had a long distance relationship that didn't work out or something.

That doesn't mean no love, it means it didn't work out.

That said, "littleness" is not the standard of value by which such a thing operated.

Evidence of effective propaganda.

Actually, no evidence given by you :P.

Don't judge one by the scale of the other.
All things are to be judged on the same ultimate standard of valuation for a given agent.

Greatness in one sense is used in the sense of how much society achieves. The beauty of the little things is that it gives much more happiness to the individual.
The notion that "Greatness" is reserved for the unwashed masses is evil.

Nope. Have you witnessed American media? Great global feats accomplished by unexpected heroes who don't fit in with their peers?
Equivocation. "American media" and the American self-esteem-in-education movement are two totally different things.

There are no movies about stopping to smell the roses.
Because if that's all someone can do they are a failure.

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.
Um, yeah. Relatives telling me "You're related, that little thing makes you special to me" in some form or another. I am unimpressed. :P

You know, deliberate objectification of the world and belittling common pleasures is a defense mechanism for social isolation.
Declaring common pleasures the standard of value is a defense mechanism for lack of achievement.

Wanna smell roses? Great. But do something better than that too.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 5:22:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/13/2010 3:22:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/13/2010 2:03:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.

I don't believe Ragnar has ever been in love before. I believe we asked him once and he said he had a long distance relationship that didn't work out or something.

That doesn't mean no love, it means it didn't work out.


That said, "littleness" is not the standard of value by which such a thing operated.

Evidence of effective propaganda.

Actually, no evidence given by you :P.

Don't judge one by the scale of the other.
All things are to be judged on the same ultimate standard of valuation for a given agent.

Greatness in one sense is used in the sense of how much society achieves. The beauty of the little things is that it gives much more happiness to the individual.
The notion that "Greatness" is reserved for the unwashed masses is evil.

Nope. Have you witnessed American media? Great global feats accomplished by unexpected heroes who don't fit in with their peers?
Equivocation. "American media" and the American self-esteem-in-education movement are two totally different things.

There are no movies about stopping to smell the roses.
Because if that's all someone can do they are a failure.

Why?

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.
Um, yeah. Relatives telling me "You're related, that little thing makes you special to me" in some form or another. I am unimpressed. :P

That isn't what I'm talking about. But I think I know why you said that. The example you gave wasn't at all what this thread is about. I'm talking about the fact when the little things happen they somehow water down what you once thought was important. The little things will become more important, unless they weren't anything to begin with. If someone wants to go on to "bigger" or "better" things then the love of a good women then that love was never anything, and it didn't count in this thread. If that love wants you to do grand things and is there for you then by all means reach for the stars.

But if a person decides to do nothing but live and love then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Still, since you have no experience to rely on then all you have is a preconceived reality. And that is worth less then all the fame and glory in this world.

You know, deliberate objectification of the world and belittling common pleasures is a defense mechanism for social isolation.
Declaring common pleasures the standard of value is a defense mechanism for lack of achievement.

Wanna smell roses? Great. But do something better than that too.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 5:40:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/13/2010 5:22:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/13/2010 3:22:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/13/2010 2:03:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.

I don't believe Ragnar has ever been in love before. I believe we asked him once and he said he had a long distance relationship that didn't work out or something.

That doesn't mean no love, it means it didn't work out.


That said, "littleness" is not the standard of value by which such a thing operated.

Evidence of effective propaganda.

Actually, no evidence given by you :P.

Don't judge one by the scale of the other.
All things are to be judged on the same ultimate standard of valuation for a given agent.

Greatness in one sense is used in the sense of how much society achieves. The beauty of the little things is that it gives much more happiness to the individual.
The notion that "Greatness" is reserved for the unwashed masses is evil.

Nope. Have you witnessed American media? Great global feats accomplished by unexpected heroes who don't fit in with their peers?
Equivocation. "American media" and the American self-esteem-in-education movement are two totally different things.

There are no movies about stopping to smell the roses.
Because if that's all someone can do they are a failure.

Why?
Well, they can't get food for one thing. Earning food isn't smelling roses. Thus, they die.


Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.
Um, yeah. Relatives telling me "You're related, that little thing makes you special to me" in some form or another. I am unimpressed. :P

That isn't what I'm talking about.
Why not? That's why you care about your daughter.

I'm talking about the fact when the little things happen they somehow water down what you once thought was important. The little things will become more important, unless they weren't anything to begin with.
Undemonstrated, and most of them weren't anything.

If someone wants to go on to "bigger" or "better" things then the love of a good women
If you want to call that "little" it's your business.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 5:46:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Small things can bring happiness. And so can big things. But both are necessary for each other to exist... Big things happen in the result of small things amounting and building off of each other. If you learn to find enjoyment in the steps to finally achieving the 'big thing', you'll probably have more happiness. Basing your life entirely on the 'big things' could be potentially harming to your mental state from what I have seen...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 5:53:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/13/2010 5:40:49 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/13/2010 5:22:50 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/13/2010 3:22:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/13/2010 2:03:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/13/2010 12:55:38 PM, jharry wrote:
At 10/12/2010 9:41:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
They need love and sacrifice,
It's not exactly complimentary to say "Not only do I love you, you afford me ample opportunity to sacrifice and revel in mediocrity."

Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.

I don't believe Ragnar has ever been in love before. I believe we asked him once and he said he had a long distance relationship that didn't work out or something.

That doesn't mean no love, it means it didn't work out.


That said, "littleness" is not the standard of value by which such a thing operated.

Evidence of effective propaganda.

Actually, no evidence given by you :P.

Don't judge one by the scale of the other.
All things are to be judged on the same ultimate standard of valuation for a given agent.

Greatness in one sense is used in the sense of how much society achieves. The beauty of the little things is that it gives much more happiness to the individual.
The notion that "Greatness" is reserved for the unwashed masses is evil.

Nope. Have you witnessed American media? Great global feats accomplished by unexpected heroes who don't fit in with their peers?
Equivocation. "American media" and the American self-esteem-in-education movement are two totally different things.

There are no movies about stopping to smell the roses.
Because if that's all someone can do they are a failure.

Why?
Well, they can't get food for one thing. Earning food isn't smelling roses. Thus, they die.

Oh yeah, I forgot who I was talking to for a second.


Please explain, I don't get it. Give be an example from your life, thanks.
Um, yeah. Relatives telling me "You're related, that little thing makes you special to me" in some form or another. I am unimpressed. :P

That isn't what I'm talking about.
Why not? That's why you care about your daughter.

I don't care for her because we are related. It's the little things. The memories of coming home exhausted after a 16 hour midnight shift, sun coming up through curtains, my wife bringing me a sleeping little angel and laying her on my chest. Falling asleep with that little darling so close to me, feeling her little heart beating next to mine. Forgetting how sore and tired I am, forgetting how big of a douche my boss was. Living in that moment can never be taken away and can never be bought or achieved through grandeur and fame. You can objectify something like that all you want, but you can never take it away from me. And until you actually experience little things like that you will remain a fool in world.

I'm talking about the fact when the little things happen they somehow water down what you once thought was important. The little things will become more important, unless they weren't anything to begin with.
Undemonstrated, and most of them weren't anything.

How. Explain.

If someone wants to go on to "bigger" or "better" things then the love of a good women
If you want to call that "little" it's your business.

Huh?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 5:59:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
heres the thing- to achieve something big it takes a long time, and a lot of effort. if you ignore all the little pleasures you could be experiencing as you pursue your long term goal, you will, on balance, be less happy than someone who actually takes the time to enjoy them. as far as subjective well being is concerned, while the big achievement will flood you with a large burst of happiness and likely provide a somewhat more sustained happiness level over a period of weeks or months, it won't do anything for you in the times between achievements. thats where the small things come in. they really ARE pleasurable, and they are much more numerous and frequent than big achievements. i don't think the cliche is pointing to an either/or situation or a dichotomy of the two. rather, i think it is pointing to the fact that over the course of your life, overall, your moment-to-moment happiness depends more on small pleasures than on big achievements. not because they are somehow superior, but because they are more numerous. thus it would be prudent to take advantage of this rather than obsessing ONLY over the final goal and missing the additional experience of day to day happiness you could be having.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...