Jump to topic:

Profanity

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 4:36:52 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
As I am home for the holidays, one of my dear and oldest friends remarked about how much profanity I use. I curse all the time; like, at least once every fifth sentence, and it's usually some of the saltier words in the English language.

Studies suggest that the more people use profanity, the more likely they are to be honest, because they do not filter what they're saying like people who refrain from using profanity do. Conversely, while not all sailors (hehe) are honest and not all baptists are liars, there is also some evidence to suggest that the longer a person spends reflecting on their response, when the question calls for subjective evaluations, the more likely they are to be duplicitous and the less likely they are to use profanity.

Does profanity bother you? Why or why not?

Should profanity's use (i.e. in schools) be restricted? (The only times I ever got caught and in trouble in school was when I used profanity, although I almost always talked my way out of it.) Why or why not?
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 4:45:11 PM
I think it is problematic when people use it too frequently. I don't think exercising a little self-restraint in that regard is a bad thing.

I will comment more later tonight, when I have time to write up a more detailed response.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 4:52:13 PM
I've noticed I use profanity more than my peers at university. I guess I can be an abrasive person in general. I was raised on the mean-streets of Canada, where we sometimes didn't even say "sorry" when bumping into one another. It hardens you, man.

I don't censor my thoughts much either, but I don't know how much of a relation that has to my swearing. A lot of the time it's more a matter of "what are they going to do, fight me over it? Lmao."
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:00:30 PM
This topic is something I've wanted to speak about since I started having people bitch at me for using profanity in my debates. Like you, I use profanity all the time, in my everyday speech, to my debates. Some people think profanity is inappropriate, that it somehow offends their moral or religious views. These people, though idiots, are precisely why profanity exists in the first place -- after all, profanity is just a set of words that a group of people has designated as socially inappropriate. But what these folks don't realize is that by deeming profanity inappropriate, they actually provide these words with immense power. And that is what makes profanity not only useful but also extremely important, as a means of challenging and overthrowing the status quo or otherwise oppressive power structures.

Having said that, let me say a bit on how language works, because it's part of the way profanity works. Words aren't just containers of meaning. It's not like you have these signifiers that refer to things in the world with perfect correspondence, without emotion. Words are also affective, they express and influence emotions. That's why persuasive language shouldn't necessarily be as direct/concise as possible (looking at you, YYW). Sometimes you do things with language that works with emotions rather than direct logic because it simply makes for a more compelling argument, or it's just a better use of your time.

You challenge grammatical norms because doing so freaks grammar nazis the fvck out, and that's a good thing, because they're obsessive control freaks. So too with profanity. Just as ee cummings moves us to tears with nonsense, grammar thrown by the wayside, a well placed "fvck" or aptly turned "bullsh!t" brings the house down, resonates with people, moves them, persuades them. The simple fact that profanity has been designated inappropriate gives profanity certain characteristics that other words lack: greater emphasis, the ability to shock, to offend, to grab attention, and so on. Profanity is a means to challenge the status quo, to overthrow oppressive power structures.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:02:04 PM
At 12/31/2015 4:45:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think it is problematic when people use it too frequently. I don't think exercising a little self-restraint in that regard is a bad thing.

Frequency is sometimes important to its effect.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:33:43 PM
At 12/31/2015 4:36:52 PM, YYW wrote:
As I am home for the holidays, one of my dear and oldest friends remarked about how much profanity I use. I curse all the time; like, at least once every fifth sentence, and it's usually some of the saltier words in the English language.

Studies suggest that the more people use profanity, the more likely they are to be honest, because they do not filter what they're saying like people who refrain from using profanity do. Conversely, while not all sailors (hehe) are honest and not all baptists are liars, there is also some evidence to suggest that the longer a person spends reflecting on their response, when the question calls for subjective evaluations, the more likely they are to be duplicitous and the less likely they are to use profanity.

Should profanity's use (i.e. in schools) be restricted? (The only times I ever got caught and in trouble in school was when I used profanity, although I almost always talked my way out of it.) Why or why not?

I have no issue with profanity. I cringe at some peoples use of any bit of language. That is, sitting next to an a$$ at a bar who is swearing is not the issue. It may be his general command of language more than just the swearing involved.

I don't know if I use profanity more or less than average. I don't think I give it much thought. Some audiences I temper it a bit, but I don't think about it enough to worry about it.

(And the filter kicks in to tell me how terrible "a$$" is)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:12:57 AM
At 12/31/2015 7:00:30 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
This topic is something I've wanted to speak about since I started having people bitch at me for using profanity in my debates.

I think there's a difference between using profanity in a debate (a more structured setting) than not a debate (not a structured setting), in that there are reasonable expectational differences between the kind of language you're going to use to articulate a point in a debate versus in conversation.

(There is an exception to this... PM me and I'll try to send you a hilarious court document I came across last year.... you'll enjoy it. I can't post it because the link has profanity in it.)

Like you, I use profanity all the time, in my everyday speech, to my debates. Some people think profanity is inappropriate, that it somehow offends their moral or religious views.

If I'm giving a presentation (like, when I'm in front of a fvckload of people and I have to sound sophisticated) I never use profanity... except maybe in a joke throughout the presentation to lighten the mood. But, if I was doing stand up comedy, then like every other word would be profanity.

These people, though idiots, are precisely why profanity exists in the first place -- after all, profanity is just a set of words that a group of people has designated as socially inappropriate.

I don't think that all people who get bothered by profanity are idiots, but I do think their moralized sense of language is specious and out of touch. Like, many members of my snooty conservative family would scoff at the idea of this sentence "I don't know what the fvck you're talking about." or "Man, that guy was a giant d!ck." Or earlier today when some dumbfuck sh!thole cut me off at the cunting roundabout and got all flustered and tried to blame me when I had the motherfcking right of way.... and I had a litany of choice profanities for him. (As a side note, any dumbassmotherfuckingcunt who would put his kids' lives on the line to get ahead of someone at a roundabout is clearly a worthless sh1t who doesn't even deserve to breathe the same oxygen as me, but w/e. Motherfcker probably got into a wreak on the way home, and I hope his pathetic b!tch @ss gets sued by someone who is as vindictive as I am.)

*Whew!* I had to get that off my chest.

But what these folks don't realize is that by deeming profanity inappropriate, they actually provide these words with immense power.

For me, it's stress relief. I feel better after I curse a lot.... it's like letting venom out.

And that is what makes profanity not only useful but also extremely important, as a means of challenging and overthrowing the status quo or otherwise oppressive power structures.

Yeah that too.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:20:03 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:12:57 AM, YYW wrote:
(There is an exception to this... PM me and I'll try to send you a hilarious court document I came across last year.... you'll enjoy it. I can't post it because the link has profanity in it.)

Tinyurl.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:37:16 AM

I show quite a lot of restraint, but only when I am in a good mood. Provided that I am angry, regardless of the setting, I will say what I please.

If it's a serious discussion, I do not swear. Regardless of how angry I get, I do not swear, unless someone else swears at me. If it's a classroom setting, such as at school, I will refrain from saying something that is too controversial, but it all depends on the situation.

I do swear a lot in conversation though.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:50:17 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:37:16 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I show quite a lot of restraint, but only when I am in a good mood. Provided that I am angry, regardless of the setting, I will say what I please.

I "can" show restraint, but it feels unnatural, contorted and weird.

If it's a serious discussion, I do not swear. Regardless of how angry I get, I do not swear, unless someone else swears at me. If it's a classroom setting, such as at school, I will refrain from saying something that is too controversial, but it all depends on the situation.

Yep. Me too.

Yep. Me too.
Tsar of DDO
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:51:59 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:50:17 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/1/2016 1:37:16 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I "can" show restraint, but it feels unnatural, contorted and weird.

Yep. Me too.

Yep. Me too.

There just gets to a point in which you cannot finish the sentence without swearing. I often do that to myself, I will use large words that have very specific meanings, and then at the end of the sentence, there aren't any more words left to finish it, and it sounds quite stupid to end with "so, yeah".
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 1:52:45 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:20:03 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Tinyurl.

http://tinyurl.com...
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:02:29 AM

lol is this the one that was on above the law where she loses her sh!t on the judge? post the tinyurl or something
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:02:49 AM
At 1/1/2016 2:02:29 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

lol is this the one that was on above the law where she loses her sh!t on the judge? post the tinyurl or something

Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:03:04 AM
At 1/1/2016 1:58:21 AM, YYW wrote:
When you all read this... it's going to remind you of a few DDO users... lol

Yep, that's the one. Lol, that sh!t is hilarious...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:03:40 AM
At 1/1/2016 2:03:04 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

It brings happiness and joy to my heart to see the delusional ramblings of a crazy black woman.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:05:42 AM
At 1/1/2016 2:03:40 AM, YYW wrote:

It brings happiness and joy to my heart to see the delusional ramblings of a crazy black woman.

What's so hilarious about it is how fvcking brilliant it is, it's what I'd say embodies effective use of profanity, even misguided in her approach lol
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:08:12 AM
At 1/1/2016 2:05:42 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 1/1/2016 2:03:40 AM, YYW wrote:

What's so hilarious about it is how fvcking brilliant it is, it's what I'd say embodies effective use of profanity, even misguided in her approach lol

I mean.... it's not brilliant.... it may be the pinnacle of idiocy, at best... but definitely not brilliant. It's a mad crazy bitch who got fvcked by procedure, who should have retained a lawyer.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 2:41:26 AM
This topic is something I've wanted to speak about since I started having people bitch at me for using profanity in my debates. Like you, I use profanity all the time, in my everyday speech, to my debates. Some people think profanity is inappropriate, that it somehow offends their moral or religious views. These people, though idiots, are precisely why profanity exists in the first place -- after all, profanity is just a set of words that a group of people has designated as socially inappropriate. But what these folks don't realize is that by deeming profanity inappropriate, they actually provide these words with immense power. And that is what makes profanity not only useful but also extremely important, as a means of challenging and overthrowing the status quo or otherwise oppressive power structures.

Having said that, let me say a bit on how language works, because it's part of the way profanity works. Words aren't just containers of meaning. It's not like you have these signifiers that refer to things in the world with perfect correspondence, without emotion. Words are also affective, they express and influence emotions. That's why persuasive language shouldn't necessarily be as direct/concise as possible (looking at you, YYW). Sometimes you do things with language that works with emotions rather than direct logic because it simply makes for a more compelling argument, or it's just a better use of your time.

You challenge grammatical norms because doing so freaks grammar nazis the fvck out, and that's a good thing, because they're obsessive control freaks. So too with profanity. Just as ee cummings moves us to tears with nonsense, grammar thrown by the wayside, a well placed "fvck" or aptly turned "bullsh!t" brings the house down, resonates with people, moves them, persuades them. The simple fact that profanity has been designated inappropriate gives profanity certain characteristics that other words lack: greater emphasis, the ability to shock, to offend, to grab attention, and so on. Profanity is a means to challenge the status quo, to overthrow oppressive power structures.

This isn't a very well thought-out perspective. The purpose of a formal decorum in debate (and any professional or academic forum) is to suppress precisely those kind of emotional projections that obscure the reader's perception of the argument's merit.

Profanity is no substituteor supplement for the force of reason.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 4:07:38 AM
I'm fine with hearing somebody curse every now and then, but it just irks me when I'm in a situation where every other sentences has a bomb dropped in it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
jzonda415
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 4:35:57 AM

Not really. I constantly curse because I think that you're right in that it allows people to be more honest. In debates and a more structured setting, I think it can be an issue; but, frankly, if somebody is constantly having to think about which words they have to pick and choose in a conversation, it's problematic. But, at the same time, I think there are places which it's usage can be more rational than others. I mean, I swear like no one's business with my friends, but I prefer to be a tad more "eloquent" on DDO and my Facebook and whatnot.

Absolutely not. The character of people should be evaluated based on their uncensored self, and who they are; restricting the free flow of language hinders that greatly. People can only understand the ramifications of their words when they are allowed to completely and freely speak their mind. Whenever a teacher lectures the class or myself about proper language, all I want to ever say is, "Oh, fvck off." It's a pointless exercise put on by the politically correct, not really much more.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 5:24:18 AM
At 12/31/2015 7:02:04 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

I have no doubt that profanity is important in shaking people out of old ways of thought. But, you have to be careful about ending its utility altogether. I'll try to explain what I mean below. I have 3 points to make, one of which should touch on what you said.

1. I pretty much reject the premise of the OP. My family never swore, and so I just never learned to swear much myself. It is not that I am censoring myself when I speak because I am editing out the swearwords that I am thinking; rather, it is just that I don't think the swearwords to begin with. Literally, curses almost never cross my mind--I think things like "idiot," "stupid," "twit," and "hate,", but not things that are blocked by DDO's filters. So, the fact that I don't swear isn't really indicative of my honesty, though it might be for some. I can also imagine that some who swear effect the language to blend into cultures they enter wearing swearing is prominent, which is, in essence, putting on a phony face. So, swearing could be just as much a lie as a truth-indicator.

2. I don't see why you cannot express, in non-offensive language, what you want to say without swearwords. Oftentimes swearing is appropriate in conveying meaning, but, more often than not in my experience, swearing is just gratuitous. YYW's swearing is absolutely gratuitous, in that he doesn't think about it. It's not necessary to convey meaning. It is just thrown out there because...and I don't see why restraining that is such a bad thing.

3. The more frequent you swear, the more mainstream it becomes, and the less shocking it becomes. If you want to preserve the potency of swearing as a tool to emphasize points and challenge norms, you should deliberately use curses rarely.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:31:22 AM
At 12/31/2015 7:02:04 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

That seems counter-intuitive. What makes profanity powerful, by your logic, is the social aversion towards it, which reduces upon frequent use. Frequent use undermines the power of profanity. Rare usage of profanity might actually stress on a point and create a more striking effect, but frequent use makes one absolutely used to it. If a person on this site almost never uses profanity, and mentions "bullsh!t" in a debate, I'd actually have a (mild) stun, and it would seem striking. A person like you, for instance, very frequently uses profanity in debate, so I just look through it -- when you use profanity in a debate, I don't even notice it.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:36:11 AM
I have no opinion on profanity. I very, very rarely swear - in fact, I don't swear out loud, like, at all. Many of my classmates and friends do, and my parents rarely do, but if I actually use profanity irl or online, it means I'm *really* irritated or flustered. In fact, my only usage of profanity on this site, I think, was in response to the Zarro controversy recently, which thoroughly had me annoyed. I have nothing against profanity, but I know that it's much more powerful when scarcely used. And, as a user mentioned, it's no substitute for logic. I might wince at profanity when not used to swear and used in serious context -- I hate that.

Profanity is often inappropriate, and that depends on the context. I don't really mind it because I'm used to it to some extent, and I don't really care about the issue.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
fuckyoffbitch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:42:12 AM
how is profanity a bad thing like words don't hurt anybody only sensitive people who gets their feelings hurt like f.u.c.k off to anybody offended by words lol kids especially need to know how it is
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 11:56:48 AM
At 1/2/2016 11:42:12 AM, fuckyoffbitch wrote:
how is profanity a bad thing like words don't hurt anybody only sensitive people who gets their feelings hurt like f.u.c.k off to anybody offended by words lol kids especially need to know how it is

Dude, your account will probably be closed because of your username.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
fuckyoffbitch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 12:02:58 PM
At 1/2/2016 11:56:48 AM, famousdebater wrote:
At 1/2/2016 11:42:12 AM, fuckyoffbitch wrote:

Dude, your account will probably be closed because of your username.

lol thx for heads up
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 8:55:10 PM
And that is what makes profanity not only useful but also extremely important, as a means of challenging and overthrowing the status quo or otherwise oppressive power structures.

Facepalm.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 9:17:37 PM
I don't get offended by profanity, mainly because I don't get offended easily to begin with. However, sometimes it can make me uncomfortable, just as I get uncomfortable around people who are awkward and embarrassing, but it doesn't last for more than a second or two (it completely depends on the situation though). The important thing to remember about profanity is that ultimately it's offensive precisely because it's known to be offensive. In other words, by swearing, you are showing that you intend to be rude, which is in itself rude. The swear words themselves just facilitate this interaction. This is why we aren't offended when little kids accidentally say a swear word, because we know they don't intend to offend.