Jump to topic:

The Myopic Self

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2016 9:15:25 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Just recently, in responding to an email, I realized the importance of considering the opinions of others.

So often, we are tempted as a means to protect ourselves to dismiss the opinions of others about who we are in favor of our own.

We narrate the complexities of our personalities, and with the retelling of ourselves to ourselves, we create distinct realities about ourselves. Impressions of ourselves are disconnected from the impressions other people have about us. They are realities that are distinct, and separate, from the realities we find out in the world. To protect ourselves, we've created our own little worlds and have walled them off with disinterest in the opinions of others.

This reminds me of something Carl Jung said concerning loneliness:

"Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible."

In walling ourselves off from the opinions of others, we create realities that may be familiar to us but foreign to others; so foreign do they become, others find it difficult to relate to us. It's as though we are speaking an unfamiliar language, a language that is not only strange but also disagreeable in its absurdities.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 1:07:23 AM
At 1/1/2016 9:15:25 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Just recently, in responding to an email, I realized the importance of considering the opinions of others.

So often, we are tempted as a means to protect ourselves to dismiss the opinions of others about who we are in favor of our own.

We narrate the complexities of our personalities, and with the retelling of ourselves to ourselves, we create distinct realities about ourselves. Impressions of ourselves are disconnected from the impressions other people have about us. They are realities that are distinct, and separate, from the realities we find out in the world. To protect ourselves, we've created our own little worlds and have walled them off with disinterest in the opinions of others.

This reminds me of something Carl Jung said concerning loneliness:

"Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible."

In walling ourselves off from the opinions of others, we create realities that may be familiar to us but foreign to others; so foreign do they become, others find it difficult to relate to us. It's as though we are speaking an unfamiliar language, a language that is not only strange but also disagreeable in its absurdities.

Indeed; everyone chooses their own reality and when two people with different beliefs discuss anything nothing is accomplished because they're playing by different rules.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2016 7:17:01 AM
Indeed; everyone chooses their own reality and when two people with different beliefs discuss anything nothing is accomplished because they're playing by different rules.

I agree. We have to have some common ground by which we can relate to one another. We will never agree completely, but in having similarities of opinion, we can build inroads by which we can communicate. A person learns a new language, first, by associating the familiar aspects of the new language with the language in which one is fluent and, then, by associating that which is familiar with that which is not. It's like meeting new people through old acquaintances.