Jump to topic:

Descending into apathetic nihilism

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 12:57:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
That's what it's come to. Don't know how it happened, but it seems I've slipped away from stable grounds. No, this is not at all a result of my recent philosophical convictions, but I will say it has made it possible.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:04:51 PM
At 10/20/2010 12:57:43 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
That's what it's come to. Don't know how it happened, but it seems I've slipped away from stable grounds. No, this is not at all a result of my recent philosophical convictions, but I will say it has made it possible.

I don't know what it is but I assume it is bad. Sorry, I hope you get to feeling better? Is there some medication you could take? :(
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:10:46 PM

Does this mean you have no opinions whatsoever?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:16:24 PM
At 10/20/2010 1:04:51 PM, jharry wrote:

I don't know what it is but I assume it is bad. Sorry, I hope you get to feeling better?

I can't pinpoint it but I think it's personal issues that have kept my mind distracted from my philosophical pursuits. I haven't forgotten, just apathetic towards them.

Is there some medication you could take? :(

Nope, I don't believe in that. Plus, I don't think this can be considered clinical depression. I believe in maintaining a strong mind and dealing with things on my own following the way of selfhood. Guess I reached a down point.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:39:55 PM
At 10/20/2010 1:10:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:

No, I've just lost focus.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 1:42:55 PM
At 10/20/2010 1:39:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/20/2010 1:10:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:

No, I've just lost focus.

You should go insane. It's a lot more fun.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 3:38:40 PM

Care to elaborate?

What recent philosophical convictions? How did they make it possible? What else contributed?

I'm quite curious.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 3:53:16 PM

Do you still believe in the teachings of the Buddah?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 8:56:37 PM
You don't care? well I do. Get me a sammich since you don't care.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 12:18:19 AM

I would ask... but I might make the terrible faux pas of asking you to elaborate or even to bait you into a discussion, then you would have to start a hate thread against me, issue silly challenges and then run away.

Ooops was that trolling?

What were your stable grounds, how have you slipped, what are your philosophical convictions (actually I've been waiting for months on that one), what is it you presume to be talking about?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:08:30 AM
No, this is not at all a result of my recent philosophical convictions, but I will say it has made it possible.

From the little I know about Buddhism
I'd say becoming Buddhist can very easily lead to Apathetic Nihilism....

Rejecting all "attatchments" basically MEANS trying to not care anymore.
(now, sure, it seems as though Even Buddha liked to do 'Good' and Was a bit of a Universal Good kind of guy... but I think this is the Weakest part of his philosophy... and doesn't really fit with the idea of Not having attatchments... and isn't really explained/doesn't fit in the framework of his understanding of things)

and SUCCESS Occurs when you Are an apathetic Nihilist! And YOUR MIND Is DEAD!

I think Zhuangzi (and much of "laozi's" stuff puts forth a much better understanding on How to live out your years :)

Embracing what you care about AS it comes.. and releasing it as it goes... and not struggling to become something your not (like the INFINITE, as Buddhism seems to)

now, something like Apathetic Nihilism ought not bother a TRUE Apathetic Nihilist LOL...

If you TRULY were one... you wouldn't be concerned about it....

If your Mind truly died.. if you truly had no attatchments... and didn't care about things anymore... then you wouldn't be upset about such a thing having happened.

Buddha, and his followers, put too much effort into Rejecting themselves... which (b/c they still exist LOL) causes them to be unhappy with their, as you put it, "descent" into Enlightenment/Apathetic Nihilism.

Now... Zhuangzi on the other hand suggests EMBRACING your cares, and Delving Within the "heavenly patterns" you observe... and finding Contentment Through Accepting/Embracing what Naturally comes to you (your natural attatchments AND your Natural way of seeing things)

Buddha suggests you can find contentment through NOT CARING about those things... This MAY ultimately also be the case... BUT, it's a sucky thing for someone who Does Care to actively TRY to do... b/c then they're prolly gonna get depressed... since they Do still care.

Zhuangzi wrote:
Happiness, anger, despair, joy,
planning, sighing, bending freezing
elegance, ease, candor, posturing-

They are Music out of Emptiness,
mist Condensing into Mushrooms!

Day and night they alternate in front of us without our knowing where they sprout. Enough! Enough! Morning and evening we've got them, wherever they come from.

Then in "The Secret for Caring For Life" I think the contentment of Embracing things is made clearer:

Cook Ting was cutting up an ox for Lord Wen-hui. At every touch of his hand, every heave of his shoulder, every move of his feet, every thrust of his knee, zip! zoop! He slithered the knife along with a zing, and all was in perfect rhythm, as though he were performing the dance of the Mulberry Grove or keeping time to tile Ching-shou Music.
"Ah, this is marvelous!" said Lord Wen-hui. "Imagine skill reaching such heights!"
Cook Ting laid down his knife and replied, "What I care about is the Way, which goes beyond skill. When I first began cutting up oxen, all I could see was the ox itself. After three years I no longer saw the whole ox. And now I go at it by spirit and don't look with my eyes. Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants. I go along with the natural makeup, strike in the big hollows, guide the knife through the big openings, and follow things as they are. So I never touch the smallest ligament or tendon, much less a main joint."
"A good cook changes his knife once a year, because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month, because he hacks. I've had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I've cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there's plenty of room, more than enough for the blade to play about it. That's why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone. Chapter 3 - The Secret of Caring for Life

You're the Blade... and you're getting CHIPPED!...
In fact you're trying to grind yourself into Nothingness!.. Eh! seems unpleasant...

much more Engaging to live as you naturally would, Embracing the patterns of yourself and the world.

and, sure, both Buddhism and Daoism have similar BIG views... but the manner of living suggested seems to be different.

I think the when Huizi would have accused Buddha, as he accused Zhuangzi of having a philosophy that was akin to a big Gnarly tree... that it was too Big and too Broad that it was USELESS, and so is rejected by all alike.

But, zhuangzi's response is more awesome than Buddha ever would've given

Zhuangzi said:
You have a big tree and are upset that you can't use it. Why not plant it by a nothing at all village in a wide empty waste? You could do nothing, dilly dallying by it's side, or nap, ho-hum, beneath it.

Do nothing, "Dilly dallying"... Implies Doing nothing particular... but being content with doing whatever the hell ya want, as you want to do it :)

and nap, "ho-hum" means taking a pleasant nap as you will, and please... but Not purposefully grinding yourself down to a permanent Buddhist MIND DEATH.

Zhuangzi suggests his philosophy allows one to embrace and enjoy things as they come..

Buddha was about quieting that "music" out of emptiness... about making the "mushrooms" turn back to mist.

Zhuangzi says:
Enough! Enough! Morning and evening we've got them, wherever they come from.

Buddha would Not think that's enough... Morning and evening he tries to Grind those mushrooms back into nothingness.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 9:20:25 AM
It's more transition. Real life personal stuff should take precedence over philosophical or theological dalliances. Our general approach to life, and the ideals that we hold should easily fit into our real life, and if they cannot they are irrelevant to our lives. To compartmentalize our philosophical or theological beliefs to the point of hobby, or casting it to the theoretical realm, you prove their irrelevance to your life. Live, see what works in making your life better and have them work together.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 11:37:32 AM
@mattrodstrom

It's not Buddhism that led to this, especially given that I don't really practice things like asceticism (Buddha didn't reject himself, nor did he support asceticism), non-attachment, etc. For me, Buddhism is my world view, not a system to tell me what to do.

Basically, it's personal issues alongside philosophies that give you nowhere to turn to. For example, a Christian could turn to Jesus, a Muslim could turn to Allah, but for the Buddhist and the Atheist, you have nowhere to turn. You have only yourself to rely on. That's why I say that my philosophical convictions allow for this to happen, but they are not the cause.

(This should also answer your query as well, Cerebral.)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 11:40:38 AM
At 10/21/2010 11:37:32 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@mattrodstrom

It's not Buddhism that led to this, especially given that I don't really practice things like asceticism (Buddha didn't reject himself, nor did he support asceticism), non-attachment, etc. For me, Buddhism is my world view, not a system to tell me what to do.

Basically, it's personal issues alongside philosophies that give you nowhere to turn to. For example, a Christian could turn to Jesus, a Muslim could turn to Allah, but for the Buddhist and the Atheist, you have nowhere to turn. You have only yourself to rely on. That's why I say that my philosophical convictions allow for this to happen, but they are not the cause.

(This should also answer your query as well, Cerebral.)

Not really I still don't know what your philosophy is, how you got there, and what quandry you are in... but at least it's a response, thats something.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 12:04:51 PM
At 10/21/2010 12:18:19 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I would ask... but I might make the terrible faux pas of asking you to elaborate or even to bait you into a discussion, then you would have to start a hate thread against me, issue silly challenges and then run away.

It wasn't a hate thread. I have nothing against you at all except that your frustrating. Nothing personal (though it seems you're trying to make it personal). I can see that you might see my laziness as evasion and that might be frustrating, but there's somethings I just don't care to elaborate on, like 47 arguments against God. I do however care to elaborate on beliefs which you keep requesting, but I have multiple times, maybe you missed em (see "To GEO:" thread").

What were your stable grounds,

No pertinent personal issues and had enthusiasm towards my philosophical pursuits.

how have you slipped,

Dunno what this means, all I can say is it happened. The things I listed above are no longer there. Though, I should say the enthusiasm has lessened, I haven't reached complete apathy.

what are your philosophical convictions (actually I've been waiting for months on that one),

Buddhist, Atheist, Libertarian, Conspiracist.

what is it you presume to be talking about?

I can't really get into more detail than this.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 12:20:44 PM
Geo, although i completely respect your privacy on personal situations, i think it's a little unfair to delve into your break with philosophy or current state due to some issue that's going on in your life; put together a thread about it, but not complete the story with the nature of your personal issue. Again it's your complete right to maintain such privacy, but it's a little self indulgent to put together a thread that doesn't complete the picture.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 1:23:23 PM
At 10/21/2010 12:20:44 PM, innomen wrote:
Geo, although i completely respect your privacy on personal situations, i think it's a little unfair to delve into your break with philosophy or current state due to some issue that's going on in your life; put together a thread about it, but not complete the story with the nature of your personal issue. Again it's your complete right to maintain such privacy, but it's a little self indulgent to put together a thread that doesn't complete the picture.

The specific personal issue is kind of irrelevant. It's the fact that there are personal grievances with nothing or no one to turn to because my philosophies are so self-reliant rather than reliant on others. This make it more difficult to cope. Btw, I don't think that this feature of my philosophies is a bad thing or weakness of it, it just means it's a bit more challenging.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 1:25:04 PM
At 10/21/2010 1:23:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/21/2010 12:20:44 PM, innomen wrote:

The specific personal issue is kind of irrelevant. It's the fact that there are personal grievances with nothing or no one to turn to because my philosophies are so self-reliant rather than reliant on others. This make it more difficult to cope. Btw, I don't think that this feature of my philosophies is a bad thing or weakness of it, it just means it's a bit more challenging.

Tell me how your philosophies actually help you in the course of your day?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 1:45:11 PM
That's what it's come to. Don't know how it happened, but it seems I've slipped away from stable grounds. No, this is not at all a result of my recent philosophical convictions, but I will say it has made it possible.:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will go through a series of these trials and tribulations throughout your life. Life is a series of hills and valleys. Some times you're at a high point in your life, some times you are at a low point. There is not always a logical reason for why it is, or at the very least, is often induced by things beyond your immediate control.

The only way human beings are happy is with a goal-directed life. Floating aimlessly through life will not offer any solace. So we pour ourselves in to our work, our hobbies, our families, our religion, our philosophies, our ideologies, and in general, our interests. Pour yourself in to something meaningful to you.

Also, never forget that satisfaction is the death of desire -- meaning, once we've finally achieved a hard fought goal, we suddenly find ourselves feeling empty again until we then look to the next summit to conquer. It is paradoxical that although suffering to achieve something is seldom joyful in the experience, achieving the goal often leaves us empty -- that is, until it's on to the next hurdle. The pursuit towards perfection (for however unattainable it really is) is the good stuff.

People, deep down, want adversity. They want the glorious pain because they know, if only subconsciously, that through suffering a man can find peace.

"It's the journey, not the destination," kind of thing... I've found that to be a truism.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:31:00 PM
At 10/20/2010 1:04:51 PM, jharry wrote:

I don't know what it is but I assume it is bad. Sorry, I hope you get to feeling better? Is there some medication you could take? :(

Zoloft.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:32:04 PM
At 10/21/2010 1:25:04 PM, innomen wrote:

That's the key. I think Geo is on the path to realizing that his philosophies aren't really conducive to happiness. We live in the real world. Philosophy doesn't do much there.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:42:36 PM
At 10/21/2010 7:32:04 PM, Kleptin wrote:

That's the key. I think Geo is on the path to realizing that his philosophies aren't really conducive to happiness. We live in the real world. Philosophy doesn't do much there.

Would you call this philosophy? Just curious.

Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I Love You
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common since
Never let your prayin' knees get lazy
And love like crazy
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:44:06 PM
At 10/21/2010 7:42:36 PM, jharry wrote:

And love like crazy

Or bad grammar? sense
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:45:57 PM
At 10/21/2010 7:42:36 PM, jharry wrote:

And love like crazy

Sometimes, common sense is the best type of philosophy.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 7:48:43 PM

I wholly disagree.

Philosophy give us meaning and principles. It is the locus behind many decisions like discrimination, morality, perception, and interaction.

I think where people fail is by believing that they have somehow, despite their limited perceptions and intellect, figured out some over-arching, incontrovertible philosophy. A likely equally confounding approach is to be an iconoclast.

The best way to approach philosophy, due to these facts that were discovered by just about every sensible philosopher, is to keep an open mind and remain honest with yourself.

Life, like a song, has meaning based on experience, not the other way around.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 8:29:02 PM
At 10/21/2010 7:48:43 PM, Ren wrote:
Philosophy give us meaning and principles. It is the locus behind many decisions like discrimination, morality, perception, and interaction.

Depending on what we mean by "philosophy", I can either disagree or agree. I outright disagreed with you at first, but after reading the whole post, I believe it depends.

I think where people fail is by believing that they have somehow, despite their limited perceptions and intellect, figured out some over-arching, incontrovertible philosophy. A likely equally confounding approach is to be an iconoclast.

I agree with this . Perhaps I equate Geo's attempts at philosophy with something you described here.

The best way to approach philosophy, due to these facts that were discovered by just about every sensible philosopher, is to keep an open mind and remain honest with yourself.

Life, like a song, has meaning based on experience, not the other way around.

From this, I feel that I chose the wrong words. Like you said, attempting to find or support an overarching, all-encompassing philosophy and having it crash down on your head is likely what this situation is about. I find it childish that people would attempt to reduce all of human existence down to some sort of ideology or algorithm, defining the world without truly experiencing the world.

Meaning based on experience, like you said.

However, while I do not doubt that Philosophy has its merits as a casual, personal endeavor, I fail to see how it can be directly attributed to anything of substance. We can't actually say that Philosophy gives us meaning and principles. Those things come through experience, almost instinctively, and with a level of innateness that seems to fly in the face of what I would consider deliberate reflective philosophical thought.

Law, justice, etc. all stem from morality, and morality does not stem from Philosophy. Morality has the same level of "innateness".

Philosophy doesn't serve to do much but explain these things. It does not create them.

Loosely, we can say that everything we do is Philosophy, but in broadening that term to that extent, it loses all meaning anyway.

Philosophy and practicality rarely go hand in hand.

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 8:52:13 PM
I read this thread and can't help thinking...

Why do I get the feeling that... Descending into 'apathetic nihilism' is a bad thing to you? So you realized some things and became rational... That's good.

Welcome to the group.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.