Total Posts:97|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racism in the United States

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:04:35 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I've read several threads in this forum mostly written by Lamerde and responded to by YYW, Thett3 and others. I've never really been able to relate to either stance or position nor found any post that accurately conveys my thoughts.

Here are the different classes of racism I see in the United States:

1) "No, I mean, where are you really from?" - Oftentimes, people out of ignorance see someone of an ethnicity they've never seen before and ask "where are you from" expecting to hear the other person mention a place outside of the United States, the obvious implication being that the listener isn't American. Don't do this. The United States is a very diverse country with a multitude of different ethnic groups. Americans don't look any one way and assuming that someone isn't American because of their race shows ignorance.

2) "I have a black friend, I can't be racist" - I've seen a recent documentary where people from the bible belt were interviewed about race. They vehemently insisted that they weren't racist, that they get a bad reputation because they are from the South and that people think of them as uneducated, racist, hillbillies. As the interviewer continued questioning them, they pointed out that there was a "minority" working in their police department and another one (they specified was black) working in a museum. It was basically a "look, we have a minority police officer, how can we be racist?" It ended up proving that those people at least deserved their reputation as racists.

3) "Specifically targeting muslims in Airports is okay, they're the ones committing the terrorist acts, right?" - Doesn't really grasp what the situation is. Efforts to contain terrorists should be applied consistently to all people going through Airports. Religious discrimination (which turns into racist discrimination when you decided to stop everyone that "looks" like a muslim regardless of their faith) not only fractures the country along racial lines but makes terrorists that don't look like muslims more dangerous. Terrorism affects all Americans and should be dealt with as such.

4) Hollywood - A disproportionate number of times, directors/producers want people of the same race as them being the lead actor. Since most of the directors and producers are white, this leads a disproportionate number of white leads with black supporting actors to show us that the director "values diversity." Directors seriously need to get rid of thought processes like "I need a white guy to take the lead because if he's not white, I can't relate to him and US has a white majority so maybe the audience will better relate to him." No one needs a lead in a movie or a TV show to be the same race as them to be able to relate and empathize. This is a myth with no factual basis. A related problem is stereotyping. The black guy has to be an aggressive, angry person. The Asian guy has to be a nerdy, tech type. All of this are layers of racism that need to be fixed.

The interesting thing about racism is that most racists deny being racist rather than own up to it. So, what is racism? Meriam-Webster succinctly puts it as "the belief that some races of people are better than others." If you believe that your race is better than others, you are a racist. It doesn't matter if you go to Africa and Asia every other year to adopt a kid from a different country. It doesn't matter if you work in a soup kitchen in a primarily black community and think "oh, look at those poor black people with no culture. What a nice white person I am helping them out like this." You are a racist.

Who aren't racists? People who treat everyone equally no matter what race they are, don't generalize any attributes as applying to a race as a whole, and just don't care what race the person they are interacting with is. Being a truly inclusive person isn't about treating people of different ethnicities in some "special" manner but simply not caring.

Finally, are only white people racist? Absolutely not. I've seen racists of every race and ethnicity either in real life or in the media. Several people in other threads have implied that only whites can be racist or tried to beat a strawman they created of "being white makes you racist." Nobody legitimately argues this point. No need to beat the strawman.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.

*BAN THE MODS, FLAME WAR NOW!*
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 12:59:41 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.


LMAO

*BAN THE MODS, FLAME WAR NOW!*
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:20:36 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.

- The irony! That's a distinctly racist statement.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 7:36:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
The Hollywood thing is wrong. They're just responding to what the markets want. Movies with white leads sell better unless you're an exception to the rule like Will Smith. It really has nothing to do with producers being racist
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 7:44:47 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 4:20:36 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.

- The irony! That's a distinctly racist statement.

Not really.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 7:57:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 12:59:41 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.


LMAO

*BAN THE MODS, FLAME WAR NOW!*

It's pretty true. You don't teally see a white equivalent to the ADL or NAACP, and white people are never white and prowd except for a few quacks who get a bunch of media attention. We apologize for people who are proud in our race, while people who have black pride or brown pride are welcomed with loving arms. Jews are unapologetically Jewish, but whites feel guilt for the fact that less than a quarter of a percent of their ancestors owned slaves.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:19:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 7:57:29 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's pretty true. You don't teally see a white equivalent to the ADL or NAACP, and white people are never white and prowd except for a few quacks who get a bunch of media attention. We apologize for people who are proud in our race, while people who have black pride or brown pride are welcomed with loving arms. Jews are unapologetically Jewish, but whites feel guilt for the fact that less than a quarter of a percent of their ancestors owned slaves.

All the organizations you listed started because the people they were representing were in some way at a disadvantage. Those organizations were attempting to solve those problems. Judaism is a religion. Whiteness is a race/ethnic group. They can't be compared and there is some overlap. Perhaps there exist some people who feel "guilty" about slavery. I don't know why they would or how they are relevant.

Saying that whites are less racist than other groups is itself racist. No ethnic group is automatically racist nor is one exempt from racism. It depends on the individual person. Being a racist has nothing to do with what race the person is.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:21:50 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 7:36:53 PM, Wylted wrote:
The Hollywood thing is wrong. They're just responding to what the markets want. Movies with white leads sell better unless you're an exception to the rule like Will Smith. It really has nothing to do with producers being racist

Why do you believe that movies with white leads sell better?
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:24:43 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:21:50 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 1/30/2016 7:36:53 PM, Wylted wrote:
The Hollywood thing is wrong. They're just responding to what the markets want. Movies with white leads sell better unless you're an exception to the rule like Will Smith. It really has nothing to do with producers being racist

Why do you believe that movies with white leads sell better?

Prolly cause a majority of the population is white, and we like to be able to relate to a high degree with the people we are watching. Which is in itself, kind of racist because people of all different ethnicities and cultures subconsciously have a hard time relating with people that are not of that ethnicity or even to an extent culture.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:27:16 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:19:57 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 1/30/2016 7:57:29 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's pretty true. You don't teally see a white equivalent to the ADL or NAACP, and white people are never white and prowd except for a few quacks who get a bunch of media attention. We apologize for people who are proud in our race, while people who have black pride or brown pride are welcomed with loving arms. Jews are unapologetically Jewish, but whites feel guilt for the fact that less than a quarter of a percent of their ancestors owned slaves.

All the organizations you listed started because the people they were representing were in some way at a disadvantage. Those organizations were attempting to solve those problems. Judaism is a religion. Whiteness is a race/ethnic group. They can't be compared and there is some overlap. Perhaps there exist some people who feel "guilty" about slavery. I don't know why they would or how they are relevant.

Saying that whites are less racist than other groups is itself racist. No ethnic group is automatically racist nor is one exempt from racism. It depends on the individual person. Being a racist has nothing to do with what race the person is.

It's not racist to say one group is less racist than another. In fact it is actually stupid to think that racism is exactly equal in numbers and depth between every group. Are you seriously insinuating that an equal percentage of racists are in each group and the depth of their racism is the same? So if 5.789123 percent of whites are racist that exactly 5.789123 percent of blacks are also racist and that the depth of the racism is exactly the same? That seems like a pretty naive belief on your part. I can forgive you for thinking more whites are racist, but it's dishonest of you to pretend like every single race has equal racism down to 1/1000000 of a percent.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:29:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:21:50 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 1/30/2016 7:36:53 PM, Wylted wrote:
The Hollywood thing is wrong. They're just responding to what the markets want. Movies with white leads sell better unless you're an exception to the rule like Will Smith. It really has nothing to do with producers being racist

Why do you believe that movies with white leads sell better?

Cause the stats say they do, I saw it cited on a cracked article once. Or are you asking why they sell better? I'd assume they sell beyter because of some subconsciouss bias of the general public
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:33:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
This subconscious racism also somewhat ties into who we look for in partners. A book was written by one of the founders of OKCupid using the data mined from the userbase to see how we acted. A few things of note:

1) 87% of people said they would not consider dating someone who was bigoted or racist against a certain group.
2) For males, Black and Asian men received 75% less messages, likes, and what not than any other ethnicity of male, the remainder were all around the same range.
3) For women, Blacks received 35% less messages, likes, and what not than any other ethnicity of females. The remainder were right around the same range.

So women are on average more racist subconsciously than men? I guess is one of the things that can be taken away from that.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:35:31 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
and that a shocking amount of us are subconsciously racist and fool ourselves into thinking we aren't too
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:39:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Oh and stop calling Jews white to fit your white privilege myths. It's just like when you guys called Zimmerman white to fit your ridiculohs narrative
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:41:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Judging racism off of innate sexual preference is a minefield though. Because ultimately, where does one even begin to even that out? People will have their preferences regardless of what happens, is happening, or is done.

On top of that, is it morally even ok to try and change sexual preference? Because if its morally OK to try and change sexual preference race and culture wise, then it would in turn be somewhat permissible to try and change preference affiliation wise. Which is a realm that is very explosive and extremelt divisive to where too much prodding has a good chance of creating a monstrous backlash of the opposite effect.

Like, "how dare they change what goes on in my relationships, and my bedroom. That's nobody else's business but my own" type thing.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:45:50 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:39:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
Oh and stop calling Jews white to fit your white privilege myths. It's just like when you guys called Zimmerman white to fit your ridiculohs narrative

Idk, trying to differentiate peoples by skin color is a tricky business. Because what is "white". People of white skin are so varied culturally and ethnically, can they even be held to all be part of the same group?

People of black skin color are so varied culturally and ethbkcally, can they even be held to be part of the same group?

Same goes for any " race" and the ethnic and cultural conflicts that arise and have arisen from these so labeled groups, would lead us to believe that it's folly to try and classify them all as the same.

Which then ties into the almost indisputable fact that race is a construct created to divide people(usually poor) so that they are fighting amongst themselves for scraps of economic, social, and political power, all the while others run away with a majority of it.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:46:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
People have a subconscious preferrance for their own race as far as sexual preferance is concerned. My neice is black and has been around mothing but whites and white culture and she still has more crushes on black boys her age.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:49:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:45:50 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:39:49 PM, Wylted wrote:
Oh and stop calling Jews white to fit your white privilege myths. It's just like when you guys called Zimmerman white to fit your ridiculohs narrative

Idk, trying to differentiate peoples by skin color is a tricky business. Because what is "white". People of white skin are so varied culturally and ethnically, can they even be held to all be part of the same group?

People of black skin color are so varied culturally and ethbkcally, can they even be held to be part of the same group?

Same goes for any " race" and the ethnic and cultural conflicts that arise and have arisen from these so labeled groups, would lead us to believe that it's folly to try and classify them all as the same.

Which then ties into the almost indisputable fact that race is a construct created to divide people(usually poor) so that they are fighting amongst themselves for scraps of economic, social, and political power, all the while others run away with a majority of it.

Well I can't disagree with that. In fact the Afrucans I know are forbidden to date American blacks (non American blacks are fine), because they see distinct cultural differences among people of their own skin color.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:52:58 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Like take for example, myself. I have white skin. To the outside observer they will automatically assume based off interactions that i am a straight white male. However, I'm actually 1/8th native American, and can legally claim Native American on government forms if I so chose to. I don't, because I don't associate with that culture by chose because I personally feel its disrespectful to when I simply don't and haven't had anything but a brief connection to it in which I chose to explore it.

I'm also not straight, I'm bisexual. But again, people will assume straight and white, because of not only what they see, but also how I carry myself.

Another interesting note, the the minority realm of "bBack" culture, that actually looks down upon two Blacks in a relationship in which one is far more light skinned then the other. The one who is, isn't Black enough... I've seen such examples of this, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever. Which points to, get again, that even these labeled groups that are the same, can't even agree who should be a part of that group and who shouldn't.

Which then begs the question, why the hell can't we as a majoritively whole see this sh!t as the nonsense it is, and counteract it as the construct it is. As opposed to giving it more legitimacy by dividing ourselves even more under the guise of privilege, oppression, and the like.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:58:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
But then that just naturally leads right back to innate human behavior and how our brains operate. We want to classify things, we want to group them together. But also, we like to believe we are a part of this special group, to feel kinship with others that largely isn't merited.

Our instinct is to divide those that look of act differently than us, so that we can feel more special about ourselves. But also, so we can justify a dehumanization, and justify abhorrent treatment. Because, hey, "those people are not us, they aren't the same humans we are. We're better than them, so we should have more than them, or shouldn't associate with them."
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:59:35 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:46:29 PM, Wylted wrote:
People have a subconscious preferrance for their own race as far as sexual preferance is concerned. My neice is black and has been around mothing but whites and white culture and she still has more crushes on black boys her age.

It's because appearance wise they look like her. So her brain naturally associates them as people who will have more in common with her.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:00:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:53:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
People promote their own culture to varying degrees. Calling it racism is awesome.

It can't technically be defined as racism, but its from the same realm as it imho. It stems from the same innate behaviors and biases that racism does
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:02:57 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:00:57 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:53:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
People promote their own culture to varying degrees. Calling it racism is awesome.

It can't technically be defined as racism, but its from the same realm as it imho. It stems from the same innate behaviors and biases that racism does

I would think excluding people from their culture would be much more closely related to true racism than the promotion of that culture.
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:35:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 7:44:47 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:20:36 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.

- The irony! That's a distinctly racist statement.

Not really.

- Yes, really.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:51:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:35:28 PM, Yassine wrote:
At 1/30/2016 7:44:47 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:20:36 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 1/30/2016 12:10:11 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Not only are white people not the only people who can be racist, we're probably the least racist people on Earth.

- The irony! That's a distinctly racist statement.

Not really.

- Yes, really.

How is distiungishing that different ethnic groups vary in the percentage of racists they contain racist? Are we supposed to assume some ridiculous notion that every single group of humans you can classify as something have. By some miracle or coincidence the exact same percentage of of ideologies of each belief system?
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:52:14 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:02:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:00:57 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:53:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
People promote their own culture to varying degrees. Calling it racism is awesome.

It can't technically be defined as racism, but its from the same realm as it imho. It stems from the same innate behaviors and biases that racism does

I would think excluding people from their culture would be much more closely related to true racism than the promotion of that culture.

in a sense, yes, in a sense no. See, racism is a prejudice against a person because of the arbitrary construct of race based off skin color imho. Culture on the other hand, is not a construct. The culture we grow up in, and even live in after childhood, very much affects how we act as a person. A perfect example of culture differences is the United States itself. We look at the U.S. and mistakenly believe it is 50 nation-states, operating under the umbrella of a federal government that binds them all into one nation.

That is mistaken, as the U.S. is actually 11 distinct cultural regions, that all operate respectively under the same social, political, and cultural tendencies. These 11 distinct regions are each largely influence by the European cultures that settled those areas, as well as for certain regions, African culture, and native cultures such as Native Americans and Hispanics. These regions still largely operate along the same grounds that people did centuries ago. They are "rivals" in the sense that they have distinct cultural, social, and political goals, but unified in the sense that they are all still a part of the U.S.

To the unkeen observer, these differences are minute and dont matter. But to the keen observer, they still very much do. You see, the cultures of these distinct regions have diffused and assimilated with the remaining cultures to the point that most people dont realize this is true even to this day. The people that live there, majoritively still operate under the same principles it operated by centuries ago. People that move there, will start picking up and operating under those principles as well.

This is a good thing though. That is human progress at work. So cultural differences have a concrete basis to differentiate. Race, does not, its a fabricated construct. It claims to have some sort of cultural basis, it does not. It claims to have some sort of genetic basis at times, it does not. And so on and so forth down the line of constructed dividing lines.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion