Public School Bans Holidays

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 11:46:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
http://www.foxnews.com...

"Bruce Vento Elementary School, in St. Paul, has decided to stop celebrating Valentine"s Day along with other "dominant holidays" including Thanksgiving and Christmas."

This is because "Saint Paul Public Schools is a diverse district that is filled with families from around the world [and] we strive to respect all cultures and all students."

The principal claims to be respecting the views of others; however, this is hypocritical. By "respecting" the views of certain people, which happen to be the minority, this principe is disrespecting the views of others by preventing the exercise of these dominant, American holidays.

You are not required to participate in the celebration of a holiday. I don't celebrate Eid Al-Fitr or Kwanzaa, it is still recognized by the government, and their celebration is not banned because I might disagree with it -- and these are minority holidays!

So why then should a majority dominant holiday's celebration (more than 1, actually) be banned if people celebrate it? Some don't agree with their celebrations or traditions, but they don't have to celebrate them.

The banning of celebrations of any holiday, regardless of which one it is, is anti-freedom-of-speech and -expression, and is, in America (where this occurs), unconstitutional.

I personally think this stupid idiot of a principal ought to be fired, but no, the district is supporting this move. This makes me lament what the little ones are being taught in schools now: you can't celebrate this holiday because Ibrahim al Kuwaiti or Shanquisha might not like it.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 11:49:31 PM
lol

the funny thing is, immigrants hardly ever complain about Americans having different holidays than they do, it's something to be expected. This stuff is always 99% liberal white people trying to signal how tolerant and virtuous they are
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 12:04:17 AM
At 2/1/2016 11:49:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
lol

the funny thing is, immigrants hardly ever complain about Americans having different holidays than they do, it's something to be expected. This stuff is always 99% liberal white people trying to signal how tolerant and virtuous they are

By showing how "tolerant" they are, they actually show how oppressive they are. This angers me, and it makes me wonder how anyone could be so stupid as to have this twisted mentality of equality.

There can never be true equality and lack of offense; someone will always be offended by something.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:16:10 AM
I'd at least try to figure out why the Principal made that decision.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:28:44 AM
All of those holidays are secularized anyway. Obviously the school shouldn't be teaching people that Jesus is the way and St. Sebastian represented the true religion, but no public school does that anyway. These holidays have secular value. This is dumb.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:30:14 AM
LOL, this same district banned students from celebrating their Birthdays in school because some kids could afford to bring in cupcakes (or some other treat) but others couldn't.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:09:21 AM
a) This seems silly, I don't get how valentine's day is disrespectful to other cultures.

b) The school is within its right to ban these holidays. We can roll our eyes all we want, but if a school decides it doesn't want to spend time and money on holidays...that's its prerogative.

c) If the local community is really bothered by this they should petition the school to change it. This seems like a local discussion on how to respect the community, the people on the ground know more about the situation than a fox news pundit.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 7:00:31 AM
At 2/2/2016 2:09:21 AM, Raisor wrote:
c) If the local community is really bothered by this they should petition the school to change it. This seems like a local discussion on how to respect the community, the people on the ground know more about the situation than a fox news pundit.

I think that it says something that less than 4% of the school is white, according to their demographics - and over 50% are learning English, according to some news source from the area. I don't think they'll miss Valentine's day. I also don't think the large number of students who had either come from Somalia in their lifetimes or are the children of those coming from Somalia will miss Thanksgiving or Christmas.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 11:40:37 AM
The public school has merely prevented the celebration of holidays within the school- since it's the school's money being used, etc, it's up to the school to do that. Students are free to celebrate holidays at home, but the school is under no obligation to celebrate holidays.

I mean, like Raisor said, I really don't see how celebrating Valentine's Day hurts cultures, but the school can do what it wants with its land and money.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 12:59:46 PM
At 2/2/2016 11:40:37 AM, tejretics wrote:
The public school has merely prevented the celebration of holidays within the school- since it's the school's money being used, etc, it's up to the school to do that. Students are free to celebrate holidays at home, but the school is under no obligation to celebrate holidays.

I mean, like Raisor said, I really don't see how celebrating Valentine's Day hurts cultures, but the school can do what it wants with its land and money.

It is Federal money, not the school's. The People pay for these schools via taxation. It is the People's money before anything else. Schools should act in the interest of the majority, not the minority.
Suh dude

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:00:49 PM
At 2/2/2016 12:59:46 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

It is Federal money, not the school's. The People pay for these schools via taxation. It is the People's money before anything else. Schools should act in the interest of the majority, not the minority.

There's no law that says schools should celebrate holidays.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:25:57 PM
Which is why school holidays should be required by statute and not subject to the whims of individual schools.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:06:08 PM
At 2/2/2016 1:00:49 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/2/2016 12:59:46 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

There's no law that says schools should celebrate holidays.

But the limiting of expression is unconstitutional. Personal liberty cannot be curbed because some principal doesn't want to possibly offend 2 people.

Schools can only limit speech and expression under these circumstances:

1) Limit speech based on a reasonable expectation that it will cause a material and substantial disruption of school activities or invade the rights of others.

2) Prohibit obscene or vulgar language

3) Speech is a threat; it must be:
- Be perceived as a threat by others
- Be clear and convincing, causing others to believe it will be carried out
- Cause other students to fear for their safety

These holidays definitely do not do any of the above, and so their free practice cannot be banned.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:06:27 PM
At 2/2/2016 1:25:57 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Which is why school holidays should be required by statute and not subject to the whims of individual schools.

Or school individuals.
Suh dude

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:21:11 PM
At 2/2/2016 2:06:27 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/2/2016 1:25:57 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Or school individuals.

Yep.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:02:15 PM
At 2/1/2016 11:46:45 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

"Bruce Vento Elementary School, in St. Paul, has decided to stop celebrating Valentine"s Day along with other "dominant holidays" including Thanksgiving and Christmas."

This is because "Saint Paul Public Schools is a diverse district that is filled with families from around the world [and] we strive to respect all cultures and all students."

The principal claims to be respecting the views of others; however, this is hypocritical. By "respecting" the views of certain people, which happen to be the minority, this principe is disrespecting the views of others by preventing the exercise of these dominant, American holidays.

You are not required to participate in the celebration of a holiday. I don't celebrate Eid Al-Fitr or Kwanzaa, it is still recognized by the government, and their celebration is not banned because I might disagree with it -- and these are minority holidays!

So why then should a majority dominant holiday's celebration (more than 1, actually) be banned if people celebrate it? Some don't agree with their celebrations or traditions, but they don't have to celebrate them.

The banning of celebrations of any holiday, regardless of which one it is, is anti-freedom-of-speech and -expression, and is, in America (where this occurs), unconstitutional.

I personally think this stupid idiot of a principal ought to be fired, but no, the district is supporting this move. This makes me lament what the little ones are being taught in schools now: you can't celebrate this holiday because Ibrahim al Kuwaiti or Shanquisha might not like it.

Valentine's Day was a holiday?!
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:17:49 PM
At 2/2/2016 3:02:15 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Valentine's Day was a holiday?!

It is considered a holiday, yes.
Suh dude

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:24:14 PM
At 2/2/2016 12:04:17 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/1/2016 11:49:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
lol

By showing how "tolerant" they are, they actually show how oppressive they are. This angers me, and it makes me wonder how anyone could be so stupid as to have this twisted mentality of equality.

Preach.

There can never be true equality and lack of offense; someone will always be offended by something.

Yep.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:25:16 PM
At 2/2/2016 1:30:14 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
LOL, this same district banned students from celebrating their Birthdays in school because some kids could afford to bring in cupcakes (or some other treat) but others couldn't.

Woooow.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:30:25 PM

"To respect the views of other cultures, we should eliminate ours."

This is obviously true. From this, it follows that all cultures should eliminate their holidays in order to show respect for all other cultures. With no holidays, we can't oppress each other.

Whoever came up with this idea should be lauded. That person is, evidently, a genius!
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:34:34 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:30:25 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

"To respect the views of other cultures, we should eliminate ours."

This is obviously true. From this, it follows that all cultures should eliminate their holidays in order to show respect for all other cultures. With no holidays, we can't oppress each other.

Whoever came up with this idea should be lauded. That person is, evidently, a genius!

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. If not:

If we all eliminated our cultures, then there would be no culture.... How boring a world that would be.
Suh dude

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:37:38 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:34:34 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

If we all eliminated our cultures, then there would be no culture.... How boring a world that would be.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Perhaps I should've been a bit more radical.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:46:30 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:37:38 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/3/2016 11:34:34 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

Perhaps I should've been a bit more radical.

Oh, OK, lol. I'm not good at picking up that kind of stuff online -- and you wouldn't believe the idiots out there.
Suh dude