Jump to topic:

White people are grabbier

Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:19:33 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
The last few times I've commented on the grabbiness of white people, my friends have whined and complained like dogs who've been stuck inside all day, so I did some research.

Every Saturday afternoon for 12 weeks, I invited a mixed race group of friends around to my house for afternoon tea and served a plate of savory snacks and a plate of sweet snacks along with tea. With a hidden camera, I recorded the person who took the last snack without offering it around first.

The results were as follows.

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

Clearly, white people are the grabbiest. I think it's fair to make this comment, since it's about behavior and not about race.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:23:53 AM
Maybe it's cultural. I think white people are more likely to grow up in wealthy households, and so they're not in the habit of sharing. Also, they undervalue snacks and so don't appreciate the importance of offering around the last snack before grabbing it. Or, it could be sheer entitlement. Maybe they were really hungry and felt they deserved the last snack. The snacks were delicious but quite small. I did that deliberately.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:24:21 AM
My anti white thread is going to embarass this one. I have to include atleast 2 scientific studies so it is more legit than this though.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:25:13 AM
I'd be interested in some feedback from DDO users who are mostly entitled white boys. Why do you think that white people are so grabby?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:25:53 AM
At 2/3/2016 2:25:13 AM, Hoppi wrote:
I'd be interested in some feedback from DDO users who are mostly entitled white boys. Why do you think that white people are so grabby?

You also could have asked your mom to verify that I'm grabby.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:27:07 AM
At 2/3/2016 2:25:53 AM, Wylted wrote:

You also could have asked your mom to verify that I'm grabby.

Haha. I checked her grave last week and it hasn't been disturbed. That's just your imagination.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 2:27:07 AM
White people are truly greedy. I propose that to protect the other races from their evil we should live entirely separately. Nonwhites need a safe space. Wall off Europe!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:49:21 AM
At 2/3/2016 2:27:07 AM, thett3 wrote:
White people are truly greedy. I propose that to protect the other races from their evil we should live entirely separately. Nonwhites need a safe space. Wall off Europe!

I think we should try to provide support and education to white parents to help them construct a framework for encouraging sharing and rewarding generous impulses within the family. We could couple this with school programs concentrated in areas with large white populations. By getting in early, we can redirect white children away from grabbiness and towards more prosocial interactive styles.

Education rather than segregation should be the priority here.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:58:05 AM
At 2/3/2016 2:51:12 AM, Wylted wrote:
I can't lie. Your thread blew mine outta the water.

Yeah. You didn't fully embrace the hate. I bet it's there inside you though.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 12:00:38 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:58:05 AM, Hoppi wrote:
At 2/3/2016 2:51:12 AM, Wylted wrote:
I can't lie. Your thread blew mine outta the water.

Yeah. You didn't fully embrace the hate. I bet it's there inside you though.

I mean that in a good way. At some level, we all hate that which we are, our own group and demographic. Because we know it.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 1:28:59 PM

Cause it would be rude not to take what was offered.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 5:36:45 PM
At 2/3/2016 2:19:33 AM, Hoppi wrote:
The last few times I've commented on the grabbiness of white people, my friends have whined and complained like dogs who've been stuck inside all day, so I did some research.

Every Saturday afternoon for 12 weeks, I invited a mixed race group of friends around to my house for afternoon tea and served a plate of savory snacks and a plate of sweet snacks along with tea. With a hidden camera, I recorded the person who took the last snack without offering it around first.

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

Clearly, white people are the grabbiest. I think it's fair to make this comment, since it's about behavior and not about race.

Interesting experiment! But you haven't really presented enough data. We need to know how many people of each race you invited. It could be that you've invited more white people than other races...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 8:14:23 PM
At 2/3/2016 1:28:59 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Cause it would be rude not to take what was offered.

Interesting. So you, as a white male, believe that your own consumption and enjoyment is polite? That depriving yourself in deference to another guest would be impolite?

I think I understand your logic. Your assumption would be that the host wants to optimize the guests enjoyment, and therefore you can help by consuming and helping yourself to snacks. That's really interesting. Do you think that principle extends to life more generally - do you believe that the most appropriate behavior in a group is direct self interest?
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 8:27:17 PM
At 2/3/2016 5:36:45 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Interesting experiment! But you haven't really presented enough data. We need to know how many people of each race you invited. It could be that you've invited more white people than other races...

Yes, that's true. I didn't want to clog up the thread with methodology, although there are a lot of interesting observations that I didn't report here. Also, obviously, when it comes to publication, I want to break this out into as many separate papers as possible.

To answer your question, yes, there were equal numbers of white, black, hispanic and asian guests at the afternoon teas. There were eight guests at each iteration. Because I am situated on campus near a large student residence, luckily, I am able to find replacements quickly.

Full disclosure - in week 5, there were only 7 guests. My black male guest did not arrive and I was not able to find a replacement in time, and in week 8 my two Asian guests left early when there were still snacks on the plate. There were other factors that may have influenced the observations on particular weeks, for example in week 3, my white female guest was noticeably distraught, on her phone a lot, and did not touch the snacks or even her cup of tea. Although these factors may have shifted the numbers slightly, I think it would not have been enough to affect the overall pattern of results, especially since it is such a strong effect of white people being the grabbiest.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 9:01:19 PM

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

Correlation does not mean causation. You are also not taking into account confounding variables.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 9:07:07 PM

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

That might be the case. But, I might also tend to think that these whites have less manners.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 9:45:52 PM
I can confirm, I am a white person and frequently take the last portion. I actually did it just this weekend.

We do this mostly out of spite, we tend to be very angry at people we spend time with and do whatever we can to hurt them.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 10:03:11 PM
Whites evolved in the cold, harsh northern climate. They are obviously saving these snacks for winter. Did you actually see them eating these snacks?
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:12:29 PM
At 2/3/2016 10:03:11 PM, janesix wrote:
Whites evolved in the cold, harsh northern climate. They are obviously saving these snacks for winter. Did you actually see them eating these snacks?

Well, I can tell that you're joking again, but it's interesting that you should say that. One of my friends has this theory that it's not entitlement at all but vanity/hunger that causes white people to be grabbier. According to her, white people place more importance on body image and so are more likely to control what they eat and diet. This gives them a constant feeling of hunger, and a weird relationship with food. She believes that the circumstances of my study were such that the white participants would not have been framing it as a food situation, which would require their usual control, but rather as a social occasion, without control. She believes that the white participants were simply hungrier than the others, which led them to more grabbiness.

We could test this hypothesis by putting people of different races in a room alone with a plate of food and counting how many items they eat. We'd need to be careful to frame it not as a food situation though.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:14:16 PM
At 2/3/2016 9:45:52 PM, Raisor wrote:
I can confirm, I am a white person and frequently take the last portion. I actually did it just this weekend.

We do this mostly out of spite, we tend to be very angry at people we spend time with and do whatever we can to hurt them.

Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting that you say that you hurt people by depriving them of snacks. I wonder if, at a deeper level, you're really hurting yourself? As a white online male, you are probably overweight, and so more likely to be hurt than helped by extra snacks.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:18:56 PM
At 2/3/2016 9:07:07 PM, Peepette wrote:
That might be the case. But, I might also tend to think that these whites have less manners.

That's true. I think of it this way, though. Imagine the POTUS alone in a room doing some important paperwork. On a plate in front of him is a small, healthy snack. Also in the room are several staff members, who are preparing the room for the next day or doing other menial tasks. The POTUS takes the snack and eats it without offering it around. Is he being rude? Of course not! The snack was intended for him. He was entitled to it. Similarly, I think white people have this framework of entitlement so that they feel it's not rude to take the last snack.

Maybe I should have included an exit questionnaire for participants to rate their own behavior on a politeness/rudeness scale. It would have ruined the atmosphere of a friendly afternoon tea, though, which is why I didn't include any self-report instruments.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:20:42 PM
At 2/3/2016 9:01:19 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

Correlation does not mean causation.

True. But I think there must be some quality related to being white that causes the grabbiness. It would be absurd to argue the reverse - that grabbiness somehow makes people white. Race is not determined by behavior.

You are also not taking into account confounding variables.

What did you have in mind?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:20:45 PM
The last few times I've commented on the grabbiness of white people

I'm sure your research will be published in an academic article one day. Your contributions are revolutionary.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:21:39 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:20:45 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
The last few times I've commented on the grabbiness of white people

I'm sure your research will be published in an academic article one day. Your contributions are revolutionary.

I sense sarcasm. Do you mean that the grabbiness of white people is so well known that it's trivial to research it?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:22:33 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:21:39 PM, Hoppi wrote:

I sense sarcasm.

Are your spidey-senses tickling?

Do you mean that the grabbiness of white people is so well known that it's trivial to research it?

You're doing an impressive job of keeping this up.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 11:36:17 PM
At 2/3/2016 11:22:33 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/3/2016 11:21:39 PM, Hoppi wrote:

I sense sarcasm.

Are your spidey-senses tickling?

Do you mean that the grabbiness of white people is so well known that it's trivial to research it?

You're doing an impressive job of keeping this up.

I always think when people take the time to comment about how trivial something is, deep down, they're emotionally invested somehow. I think that you, PeacefulChaos, have interesting things to say on this topic. Please share.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:13:22 AM
At 2/3/2016 11:20:42 PM, Hoppi wrote:

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

True. But I think there must be some quality related to being white that causes the grabbiness. It would be absurd to argue the reverse - that grabbiness somehow makes people white. Race is not determined by behavior.

Age and sex are almost always confounding variables, for here weight would be another one *cough*. The interpersonal relationships between members, their relationship with you, the amount of food initially there, previous circumstances (if they ate before), your "type" of "friends", eating habits of each person, atmosphere/mood (quiet, loud, uneasy, boring, "free"), and whether the person is aware of the what the type of food is (you'll never know). Also, I may be misreading this, but another confounding variable would technically be the repeated visits of the dozen friends each time (just like the "test-wise" third variable. I should also remind you that this is a violation of ethics (and, generally, "good" friends don't record their friends for "experiments" without their permission) as those being tested must give informed consent.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:50:18 AM
At 2/4/2016 12:13:22 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/3/2016 11:20:42 PM, Hoppi wrote:

SAVORY:

white 7 (6m 1f)
Hispanic 0
black 3 (3f)
Asian 2 (1m 1f)

SWEET

white 8 (3m 5f)
hispanic 2 (2f)
black 0
asian 2 (2m)

Age and sex are almost always confounding variables, for here weight would be another one *cough*. The interpersonal relationships between members, their relationship with you, the amount of food initially there, previous circumstances (if they ate before), your "type" of "friends", eating habits of each person, atmosphere/mood (quiet, loud, uneasy, boring, "free"), and whether the person is aware of the what the type of food is (you'll never know).

Yes, these things would affect the results, but there's no reason to think that they would be more influential for one race rather than another, and in any case, even if they were, it would be part of the experience of that particular race. For example, suppose white people are grabbier because they pay less attention to what they're eating, or because they're hungrier from dieting, or because they interpret themselves as higher in the social hierarchy and therefore entitled to more snacks. That's still part of the system which creates this situation where white people are grabby. It doesn't invalidate the finding.

Also, I may be misreading this, but another confounding variable would technically be the repeated visits of the dozen friends each time (just like the "test-wise" third variable.

No, they were different people each week.

I should also remind you that this is a violation of ethics (and, generally, "good" friends don't record their friends for "experiments" without their permission) as those being tested must give informed consent.

I don't think that's true. For ethics committee approval for a university, of course, they have these sorts of requirements, but this study is not affiliated with any particular body. In any case, how is the the study unethical? I'm not identifying anybody.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 12:57:19 AM
Yes, these things would affect the results, but there's no reason to think that they would be more influential for one race rather than another, and in any case, even if they were, it would be part of the experience of that particular race. For example, suppose white people are grabbier because they pay less attention to what they're eating, or because they're hungrier from dieting, or because they interpret themselves as higher in the social hierarchy and therefore entitled to more snacks. That's still part of the system which creates this situation where white people are grabby. It doesn't invalidate the finding.

You can "suppose" whatever you want. This isn't an academic "finding", it's a noted correlation.

Also, I may be misreading this, but another confounding variable would technically be the repeated visits of the dozen friends each time (just like the "test-wise" third variable.

No, they were different people each week.

Then emphasis on their relationship with you and the environment.
I should also remind you that this is a violation of ethics (and, generally, "good" friends don't record their friends for "experiments" without their permission) as those being tested must give informed consent.

I don't think that's true. For ethics committee approval for a university, of course, they have these sorts of requirements, but this study is not affiliated with any particular body. In any case, how is the the study unethical? I'm not identifying anybody.

As I said, how you conducted the "study" is "unethical". You should also have informed them the purpose of the experiment after it was over. However, we must have different perceptions on how to treat guests. If I find out one day that a friend was apparently filming me while I was at their house with a hidden camera I certainly wouldn't be okay with it. Here's another interesting experiment, why don't you go tell your friends you were filming them and record their reactions? Maybe you can find another correlation there.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln