Jump to topic:

Would you rather?

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 7:20:43 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Would you rather send one innocent person to prison, or let 10 guilty prisoners free?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:20:09 PM
Assuming that Prob half our prison population is incarcerated due to drug use, i'll take the let 10 go option. Just because they are probably going to get out and go smoke a joint
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2016 8:46:46 PM
At 2/4/2016 7:20:43 PM, Rosalie wrote:
Would you rather send one innocent person to prison, or let 10 guilty prisoners free?

As a male, I've always wanted to go to female prison . I highly doubt you can find 10 guilty people in prison. When can I leave? .
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 6:49:29 PM
let 10 guilty prisoners free. For an innocent person to be imprisoned is a far greater moral grievance than having 10 guilty persons not imprisoned.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:01:47 PM
How do innocent people even get locked up after a jury by trial? The prosecuter has to be a huge piece of crap for that to happen. There is definitely some sort of reasonable doubt if a person is innocent, unless the prosecution is cheating somehow
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:15:16 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:01:47 PM, Wylted wrote:
How do innocent people even get locked up after a jury by trial? The prosecuter has to be a huge piece of crap for that to happen. There is definitely some sort of reasonable doubt if a person is innocent, unless the prosecution is cheating somehow

You just hinted upon three things that are issues with the current justice system. Most prosecutors/D.A.'s are incentivized to get convictions to get re-elected. A lot of the time there is reasonable doubt, and it doesn't matter, and prosecutors do cheat often in collaboration with police in terms of withholding evidence that provides more doubt, railroading suspects into plea bargains with the alternative being extremely high prison time, and the like.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:19:53 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:15:16 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/5/2016 7:01:47 PM, Wylted wrote:

You just hinted upon three things that are issues with the current justice system. Most prosecutors/D.A.'s are incentivized to get convictions to get re-elected. A lot of the time there is reasonable doubt, and it doesn't matter, and prosecutors do cheat often in collaboration with police in terms of withholding evidence that provides more doubt, railroading suspects into plea bargains with the alternative being extremely high prison time, and the like.

I hate how in my area, if a crime is punishable by 60 days or less in jail, you don't get a jury. Why the hell can the government take away 2 months of your life with no jury like that? WTF?

If I were in office I'd require jury trials. If judges and police don't like it, they can stop enforcing stupid laws
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:22:30 PM
Police definitely cheat. Often they cheT to try and convict a guy they think is guilty, like they did with OJ Simpson and Steven Avery
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:30:36 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:22:30 PM, Wylted wrote:
Police definitely cheat. Often they cheT to try and convict a guy they think is guilty, like they did with OJ Simpson and Steven Avery

This is true, but on the other hand, they almost have no other choice. Do you know how ridiculously easy it is to actually get away with murder, even with modern forensics? Even today a shocking 40% of murders simply just go unsolved. Then you factor in that there are an estimated 10-15% of convicted murderers that got railroaded into a false confession, or convicted when innocent, and you see exactly how inefficient our crime solving is even still.

Still, 50-55% is a lot better than the almost none at all that was the case a good century ago and back.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:31:04 PM
the Cracked.com podcast knowledge strikes again lmao
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:33:40 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:31:04 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

I'd like a link to that specific podcast if you don't mind. I love criminal justice topics
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:36:57 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:33:40 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/5/2016 7:31:04 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

I'd like a link to that specific podcast if you don't mind. I love criminal justice topics

https://soundcloud.com...

their whole archive is both on soundcloud and the earwolf.com website.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:40:45 PM
At 2/5/2016 7:30:36 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 2/5/2016 7:22:30 PM, Wylted wrote:

This is true, but on the other hand, they almost have no other choice. Do you know how ridiculously easy it is to actually get away with murder, even with modern forensics? Even today a shocking 40% of murders simply just go unsolved. Then you factor in that there are an estimated 10-15% of convicted murderers that got railroaded into a false confession, or convicted when innocent, and you see exactly how inefficient our crime solving is even still.

Still, 50-55% is a lot better than the almost none at all that was the case a good century ago and back.

I do feel bad for cops in certain situation s. Sometimes you can know for a fact a guy is guilty, but also know for a fact that a conviction can't be made.

I saw a police brutality case where a cop beat the hell out of some guy that killed his baby by shaking it to death. The cop must have knew that it occurring in a crack den with so many people around who were also likely suspects the guy would get off. From this detective's point of view. The only justice this baby got was the beatdown on his father. Guess what, both the cop and the murderer were found innocent. The detective did retire with a full pension after the video surfaced though.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2016 7:59:09 PM
At 2/4/2016 7:20:43 PM, Rosalie wrote:

This isn't even a hard question. I would let the 10 guilty people die.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.