Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Scare Tactics

Nerva
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.
Don't get on my nerva.
Reformist
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:23:41 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.

No I just think your a pansy
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
Nerva
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:27:49 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:23:41 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.

No I just think your a pansy

That comment was highly unnecessary.

It's not that I stop debating once someone is insulting, I just find that this is a weak style of debating, and one that doesn't facilitate actual discussion.
Don't get on my nerva.
Reformist
Posts: 679
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:29:34 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:27:49 PM, Nerva wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:23:41 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.

No I just think your a pansy

That comment was highly unnecessary.

It's not that I stop debating once someone is insulting, I just find that this is a weak style of debating, and one that doesn't facilitate actual discussion.

Probing my point
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
Nerva
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:30:07 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:29:34 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:27:49 PM, Nerva wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:23:41 PM, Reformist wrote:
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.

No I just think your a pansy

That comment was highly unnecessary.

It's not that I stop debating once someone is insulting, I just find that this is a weak style of debating, and one that doesn't facilitate actual discussion.

Probing my point

Probing? I have sent 0 probes into your point.
Don't get on my nerva.
Torton
Posts: 988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2016 9:33:35 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva wrote:
I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.
Both sides use it. The left, as you said, use them to silence arguments under the guise of a declaration of intolerance. The right use the same tactic, but instead with buzz words like unpatriotic or un-American. If it's used as a way to silence arguments, it's absolutely wrong. However, it should never get to the point where any mention of those words are considered automatically invalid, because they're just "scare tactics."
What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion.
Don't do this.
If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.
Well, first, they'd probably ask for a source, and afterwards why that's so (operating under the assumption your example is true).
If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.
Again, they wouldn't. Now, if you said something to the effect of "all (or most) Muslims should die," than they'd have grounds for accusing you of being those things. I think most would defend criticism of religion.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 2:19:15 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/13/2016 9:13:20 PM, Nerva wrote:
I find that many individuals, primarily on the left of the political spectrum, happen to use what I would deem as "scare tactics", which is the act of using certain verbiage to entice an emotional response. This would include calling someone a racist, sexism, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

What I mean by this is the fact that upon stating an opinion that bears some relevance and has some truth, or is true completely, most leftists will switch from using logic (which they rarely do) to using emotion. If I were to state that half of all homicides are committed by African American men between the ages of 18-30, which is about 3-4% of the population, than they would call me a racist.

If I said that a large degree of Muslims happen to be radical as a result of their religion, or that their religion is radical in itself, then I would be called a racist, xenophobe, and an Islamaphobe. This simply is not a good way of arguing, or of facilitating any form of debate.

Please post thoughts/comments/disagreements below.

I think you are right about the left...."right about the left" haha. There is definitely an access of false accusation coming from that side. It can be debilitating toward the cause because it leaves other people with the responsibility of trying to figure our which accusations are valid and which are not. And sometimes the valid ones get left behind while the fake ones get all the attention.

At the same time the right is very narrow minded when it comes to social issue. For example, you dont seem to understand whats wrong with saying the entire Muslim religion is radical itself. Or do they seem to acknowledge the issue of race in this country. Everyone is held to the same standard but not everyone is treated the same. You quote the statistics but the right will not acknowledge the miss treatment they may have contributed to them.

To me, the left uses scare tactics because certain Americans are tired of the ways things are and some Americans dont buy it and refuse to see it any other way. America has reach an impasse