Jump to topic:

The Value of Gossip

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 7:17:20 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I have found in a lot of our personal conversations we for the most part speak about people who aren't included in the conversation; and, for the longest time, it puzzled me as to the reason we do this.

I believe the primary reason for such behavior is the nature of the conversation. To explain: disproportionate parts of our conversations, at least, the times we are speaking about other people, are negative. This gives good reason for not speaking about each other with each other. Even though, I must concede we do speak positively about others, if we considered the content of our conversations concerning other people, we would realize large parts of our conversations are gossip.

As a society, we frown upon gossip; but, almost all (if not all) of us do it.

This brings me to question the reason for such behavior. I believe the reason for this is that which we find agreeable in a collective is a collective value, that which we do not find agreeable is not, as we agree with each other or better put conform, this may create a collective or social cohesion but it does not distinguish individualities. Individualities are made of differences; individualities are made of disagreements. For the most part, difference or disagreement is that which makes a conversation interesting. Speaking of that which one already knows is of course alright but in itself does not make for an exciting conversation. We are constantly looking to spice our conversations up with variety; it is difference that adds dimensionality to conversations. If we always spoke about the ways we were agreeable with each other, the conversation would lack depth and become predictable and boring. If we spoke about the ways in which we disagreed with each other, the conversation would inevitably lead to divisiveness and contention. So, as a means to avoid divisive and contentious conversations, we prefer to speak about other people.