Jump to topic:

Radical feminism

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:33:31 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I really don't understand what distinguishes radical feminism from more moderate feminism. The Wikipedia article on it [https://en.wikipedia.org...] says:

"Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts. Radical feminists seek to abolish patriarchy by challenging existing social norms and institutions, rather than through a purely political process. This includes challenging the notion of traditional gender roles, opposing the sexual objectification of women, and raising public awareness about rape and violence against women."

But even the most moderate feminism suggests to challenge gender roles, oppose sexual objectification of women, and to raise public awareness about violence against women. And what does a "purely political process" even mean? All feminists challenge the notion of the genders being treated differently socially. This doesn't sound "radical" at all.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:37:22 PM
I could rant about this forever...to bad I'm heading to class. Remind me to respond to this later.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:46:21 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:33:31 PM, tejretics wrote:
I really don't understand what distinguishes radical feminism from more moderate feminism. The Wikipedia article on it [https://en.wikipedia.org...] says:

"Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts. Radical feminists seek to abolish patriarchy by challenging existing social norms and institutions, rather than through a purely political process. This includes challenging the notion of traditional gender roles, opposing the sexual objectification of women, and raising public awareness about rape and violence against women."

But even the most moderate feminism suggests to challenge gender roles, oppose sexual objectification of women, and to raise public awareness about violence against women. And what does a "purely political process" even mean? All feminists challenge the notion of the genders being treated differently socially. This doesn't sound "radical" at all.

Tejretics what have you done?
Your in trouble big time , say it wasn't you or something. Good luck.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:47:07 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:33:31 PM, tejretics wrote:

Radical feminist went to extreme measures to prove their point. For instance, the pickited in front of the white house, caused riots, and fights. Opposed to let's say "liberal feminism" they are more subdue, and not as radical. The term "radical feminism" more has to do with the way they chose to act, and how they protested.

Radical

"Radical feminism considers the male-controlled capitalist hierarchy, which it describes as sexist, as the defining feature of women's oppression. Radical feminists believe that women can free themselves only when they have done away with what they consider an inherently oppressive and dominating patriarchal system.

Radical feminists feel that there is a male-based authority and power structure and that it is responsible for oppression and inequality, and that, as long as the system and its values are in place, society will not be able to be reformed in any significant way. Some radical feminists see no alternatives other than the total uprooting and reconstruction of society in order to achieve their goals" (https://en.m.wikipedia.org...)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:49:44 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:47:07 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am opposed to such methods, largely because I doubt they'd have much effect. I read that some radical feminists enforce gender essentialism -- which, in my opinion, isn't a good idea.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:50:03 PM
Here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

This will tell you about all types of feminism there is, and what their beliefs, and objectives are. There is a clear difference between Radical Feminism, compared to the others.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:51:05 PM
Furthermore, I think the harm of causing riots, etc outweighs the benefit in gaining gender equality.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:55:50 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:49:44 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/18/2016 3:47:07 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am opposed to such methods, largely because I doubt they'd have much effect. I read that some radical feminists enforce gender essentialism -- which, in my opinion, isn't a good idea.

You'd be surprised what they were capable of. Their is a movie based on a try story called "iron jawed angels". These were radical feminist. Allot of them got put in jail for pickiting outside the white house.

In jail, they would go on what's called a "hunger strike" which basically meant they wouldn't eat any food that was provided for them. Of course, nobody wanted them to die because if these women died, then the people who ran the prisions would look bad, because a women had died. So, they usually force fed the women. But, I would say they still made a huge impact.
https://youtu.be...

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:57:28 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:51:05 PM, tejretics wrote:
Furthermore, I think the harm of causing riots, etc outweighs the benefit in gaining gender equality.

But it usually called awareness, and got more women involved.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 3:58:15 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:57:28 PM, Rosalie wrote:

You think gender equality outweighs net greater suffering and death? If so, by what standard do you judge any social actions?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 4:01:36 PM
At 2/18/2016 3:58:15 PM, tejretics wrote:

You think gender equality outweighs net greater suffering and death? If so, by what standard do you judge any social actions?

If I die, I might as well die over something I sure as hell believe in. if we never gain equality, what's the point of living? I mean really..

I think it really depends on who you are, and how passionate you are about a certain subject.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 4:08:27 PM

I'm not saying that I'm going to go out to make a point, and intentionally kill myself, that's just stupid. Imagine some social movements and protests, how many people have died in those protests? When we hear about people dying in a protest, the movement sure gets a lot of awareness, and people automatically side with them.

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:14:28 PM
At 2/18/2016 4:08:27 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I'm not saying that I'm going to go out to make a point, and intentionally kill myself, that's just stupid. Imagine some social movements and protests, how many people have died in those protests? When we hear about people dying in a protest, the movement sure gets a lot of awareness, and people automatically side with them.

By what metric are women treated unfairly in America to the point that it merits the attention feminism currently gets in our discourse? Guarantee you'll give me some first world, insignificant non issue but shoot, I'm interested.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:24:05 PM
At 2/18/2016 5:14:28 PM, Objectivity wrote:

By what metric are women treated unfairly in America to the point that it merits the attention feminism currently gets in our discourse? Guarantee you'll give me some first world, insignificant non issue but shoot, I'm interested.

Unequal pay

Flawed maternity leave

Women are more likely to get fired for having sex outside of marriage

Women"s access to basic health care services is consistently called into question

Society makes women feel as if they should be ashamed to be a women...I could go on and on.

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:32:14 PM
At 2/18/2016 5:24:05 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Unequal pay

Its illegal to pay some one differently on the basis of gender. Wage gap allusions usually demonstrate unequal work times.

Flawed maternity leave

Then... don't get pregnant? I wasn't aware this was something out of a female's control.

I have to admit, this is the first I have heard of this.

Women"s access to basic health care services is consistently called into question

Birth control is not "basic". Women's access to birth control is called into question for various reasons on personhood and payment: not because of women.

Society makes women feel as if they should be ashamed to be a women...I could go on and on.

... um... what? I would appreciate it if you could go on about this, and the one I mentioned above about sex and work place ethics.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:35:28 PM
At 2/18/2016 5:32:14 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Unequal pay

Its illegal to pay some one differently on the basis of gender. Wage gap allusions usually demonstrate unequal work times.

Flawed maternity leave

Then... don't get pregnant? I wasn't aware this was something out of a female's control.

Birth control is not "basic". Women's access to birth control is called into question for various reasons on personhood and payment: not because of women.

... um... what? I would appreciate it if you could go on about this, and the one I mentioned above about sex and work place ethics.

I will gladly continue this conversation when I get home because I'm about to go to class.

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:41:37 PM
At 2/18/2016 5:35:28 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Unequal pay

Flawed maternity leave

I will gladly continue this conversation when I get home because I'm about to go to class.

At your leisure.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:46:01 PM

Unequal pay

Flawed maternity leave

Basically all of this but I'll give my own two cents on those issues in just a second
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:47:09 PM
Some of you are so feeble minded..

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:52:15 PM

Unequal pay

Even the source that people cite to prove the wage gap says it doesn't exist and can be explained by a variety of factors unrelated to gender discrimination.

Flawed maternity leave

How you choose to spend your time is your decision, if you choose to spend it by building a career and as a result don't have children, good on you, if you choose to spend your time raising a family and have to pause your career, also good on you, but either way its your decision and its not society's or the government's duty to shield you from the consequences of your personal decisions, as much as you and your lot say it ought to be.

Never heard this but I'd have to see the study and the causal link, and even so if its not by a significant margin then its not a widespread issue

If by basic health care services you mean abortion and birth control, those are not basic health care services, don't use euphemisms please lets be honest with ourselves and each other in this thread.

How?
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:52:50 PM
At 2/18/2016 8:47:09 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I mean I was going to try to be classy but eh.. who needs that right?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:55:37 PM
At 2/18/2016 8:52:50 PM, Objectivity wrote:

When I get home, I will give you a full length lecture, because obviously your mind is unable to comprehend the basics to feminism, and what we stand for.

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 8:59:38 PM
At 2/18/2016 8:55:37 PM, Rosalie wrote:

When I get home, I will give you a full length lecture, because obviously your mind is unable to comprehend the basics to feminism, and what we stand for.

I think most people understand it... they just realize it's not as serious as feminists make it out to be.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:39:22 PM

Oh god, I'm sure your talking points will be the same as what I've heard 20 times before but sure, enlighten me. In fact all DDO'ers, lets make a drinking game out of this:

1 shot for every time she brings up the dictionary definition of feminism

2 shots for every time she tries to equate 2nd and 1st wave feminists with her movement by bringing up suffragists

2 shots for every time she brings up women who are suffering from oppression in third world countries (keeping in mind that she has likely never experienced anything that is even a fraction as bad)

3 shots for every time she tries to say that "feminism is for men too"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:08:59 PM
At 2/18/2016 9:39:22 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Oh god, I'm sure your talking points will be the same as what I've heard 20 times before but sure, enlighten me. In fact all DDO'ers, lets make a drinking game out of this:

1 shot for every time she brings up the dictionary definition of feminism

2 shots for every time she tries to equate 2nd and 1st wave feminists with her movement by bringing up suffragists

2 shots for every time she brings up women who are suffering from oppression in third world countries (keeping in mind that she has likely never experienced anything that is even a fraction as bad)

3 shots for every time she tries to say that "feminism is for men too"

I'll just take the shots. You can keep the well poisoning.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:31:52 PM
I'm starting to think that I'm just waisting my time on all of you little dimwits.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:38:28 PM
How about: we all take a shot when objectivity states his opinion, we'd all get drunk less than 30 minutes. You see, objectivity seems to think that his opinion is all that matters, and that he knows everything when that is clearly not the case.

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 11:13:07 PM
At 2/18/2016 10:38:28 PM, Rosalie wrote:
How about: we all take a shot when objectivity states his opinion, we'd all get drunk less than 30 minutes. You see, objectivity seems to think that his opinion is all that matters, and that he knows everything when that is clearly not the case.

This is a debate website, shocker that someone would state their opinion on such a website, I know. Also I did ask you for your opinion, you just haven't gotten back to me and have instead tried to take jabs at me.. which isn't working out very well.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 12:27:15 AM
At 2/18/2016 11:13:07 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 2/18/2016 10:38:28 PM, Rosalie wrote:

This is a debate website, shocker that someone would state their opinion on such a website, I know. Also I did ask you for your opinion, you just haven't gotten back to me and have instead tried to take jabs at me.. which isn't working out very well.

Thats not the issue. The issue is that you know my stance, and why I believe in it and I'm trying to explain it to someone else, but here you come along, and just basically say "feminism is dumb because I say so!"