Jump to topic:

microaggressions

Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2016 11:57:34 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Okay. I never used to understand why anybody could have a problem with the idea of microaggressions, but I get it now. They've put posters up all over where I work about microaggressions and they are actually incredibly annoying. I just want to tell someone to FVCK OFF. But who? Who to hate over this?

I think the problem is that jump from the concept of microaggressions, which is fine, to these annoying posters. I feel scolded for existing.
Unitomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 9:21:10 PM
To me, the problem is that most of these microaggressions are merely imagined slights. Or it's blowing something miniscule like a standard everymans phrase (like calling a woman dude on instinct) into some universal travesty of sexual hatred.

The point is, very few "microaggressions" are anything more then an imagined insult, and the ones that are more are still exactly that; Micro.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 10:51:07 PM
At 2/22/2016 9:21:10 PM, Unitomic wrote:
To me, the problem is that most of these microaggressions are merely imagined slights. Or it's blowing something miniscule like a standard everymans phrase (like calling a woman dude on instinct) into some universal travesty of sexual hatred.

The point is, very few "microaggressions" are anything more then an imagined insult, and the ones that are more are still exactly that; Micro.

It's not the actual comment that's the problem. It's the thinking behind it. Nobody minds someone asking for maths help. They mind the thinking that everyone who's Asian has these particular skills and personality qualities. THAT'S the problem, not the actual thing that's said.

That's why it's stupid for all the posters to be focusing on the comment, the microaggression. God, it's so annoying. And who's responsible for these posters? Who is it that's scolding us? I can't tell.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 10:54:30 PM
At 2/22/2016 10:51:07 PM, Hoppi wrote:

It's not the actual comment that's the problem. It's the thinking behind it. Nobody minds someone asking for maths help. They mind the thinking that everyone who's Asian has these particular skills and personality qualities. THAT'S the problem, not the actual thing that's said.

That's why it's stupid for all the posters to be focusing on the comment, the microaggression. God, it's so annoying. And who's responsible for these posters? Who is it that's scolding us? I can't tell.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 11:14:28 PM
At 2/22/2016 10:54:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/22/2016 10:51:07 PM, Hoppi wrote:

?