Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beyonce video comments or MLK hate mail?

lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:14:54 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Interesting video highlighting the similarities between the comments under Beyonce's Formation video and MLK hate mail.

https://www.facebook.com...
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:05:02 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:14:54 AM, lamerde wrote:
Interesting video highlighting the similarities between the comments under Beyonce's Formation video and MLK hate mail.

I scored about 50%.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:03:01 AM
At 2/24/2016 12:54:50 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
This is like racist against white people. Or something like that.

*facepalm*
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:45:47 AM
I never watched Beyonce's half-time performance, but I've seen the backlash. How many police officers did she kill on stage exactly?
- lamerde

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:49:06 AM
At 2/24/2016 1:45:47 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I never watched Beyonce's half-time performance, but I've seen the backlash. How many police officers did she kill on stage exactly?

Most of them, if you measure by the backlash. Why else would police unions seriously be floating the idea of not providing security for Beyonces' upcoming concerts?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:29:52 AM

This is the best comment I've seen on this whole thing. I just about died.
Why I ignore YYW:
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 12:33:31 PM

Hm? Oh, its not that, its the concept of vilifying the people she then uses for protection from, you know, the people that actually would want to do her harm.

Making use of the "hands up don't shoot" load of tripe came from an arguably concocted narrative on behalf of a person whom moments before being stopped by police had just conducted strong arm robbery and assault.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:23:24 PM
At 2/24/2016 12:33:31 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Hm? Oh, its not that, its the concept of vilifying the people she then uses for protection from, you know, the people that actually would want to do her harm.

Making use of the "hands up don't shoot" load of tripe came from an arguably concocted narrative on behalf of a person whom moments before being stopped by police had just conducted strong arm robbery and assault.

Speaking up against police brutality is the same as speaking up against police now?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:29:12 PM
At 2/24/2016 2:23:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Speaking up against police brutality is the same as speaking up against police now?

I personally wouldn't use an instance of non-police brutality as the centerpiece in such a "speaking up" against. I would be like using the Duke Lacrosse 'rape' case as an example of wide spread campus rape. There are plenty of instances of police making use of force inappropriately. However "Stop Shooting Us" in a sea of Blank Panther-y uniforms doesn't strike me as the best message. You?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:35:53 PM
At 2/24/2016 2:29:12 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I personally wouldn't use an instance of non-police brutality as the centerpiece in such a "speaking up" against.

Have you seen the video? It's invoking much more than Mike Brown - like the case of Tamir Rice with the child standing in front of police which was clearly a case of police brutality.

I would be like using the Duke Lacrosse 'rape' case as an example of wide spread campus rape. There are plenty of instances of police making use of force inappropriately. However "Stop Shooting Us" in a sea of Blank Panther-y uniforms doesn't strike me as the best message. You?

And it's alluding to all cases of police brutality. I think the message is quite fine. What's wrong with the Black Panthers?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:49:12 PM
At 2/24/2016 2:35:53 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I personally wouldn't use an instance of non-police brutality as the centerpiece in such a "speaking up" against.

Have you seen the video? It's invoking much more than Mike Brown - like the case of Tamir Rice with the child standing in front of police which was clearly a case of police brutality.

The child standing in front of police with an imitation fire arm, whom was waving said imitation firearm about a public park in order to get the cops called on him in the first place. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would be like using the Duke Lacrosse 'rape' case as an example of wide spread campus rape. There are plenty of instances of police making use of force inappropriately. However "Stop Shooting Us" in a sea of Blank Panther-y uniforms doesn't strike me as the best message. You?

And it's alluding to all cases of police brutality. I think the message is quite fine. What's wrong with the Black Panthers?

The Black Panthers are a militant organization. That passes for "fine" with you, then.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:05:15 PM
At 2/24/2016 2:49:12 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

The child standing in front of police with an imitation fire arm, whom was waving said imitation firearm about a public park in order to get the cops called on him in the first place. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Yeah, the child who police did a literal drive by shooting on - the one they shot within 2 seconds of arriving and then lied and said that they tried to tell him to drop the weapon. The one they didn't even try to ascertain if his gun was real or not. Yes, that child.

The Black Panthers are a militant organization. That passes for "fine" with you, then.

A "militant" self defense organization that was formed because police were terrorizing black communities because society at large was doing nothing to prevent this terrorism. I'm not sure how any one could have an issue with that.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:10:39 PM
At 2/24/2016 3:05:15 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yeah, the child who police did a literal drive by shooting on - the one they shot within 2 seconds of arriving and then lied and said that they tried to tell him to drop the weapon. The one they didn't even try to ascertain if his gun was real or not. Yes, that child.

Typically, when it comes to firearms, you don't "ascertain" if something is real. And typically, involving guns, toys are not, being stupid with them earns you consequences. In this instance, tragic, but wholly avoidable consequences.

A "militant" self defense organization that was formed because police were terrorizing black communities because society at large was doing nothing to prevent this terrorism. I'm not sure how any one could have an issue with that.

So you feel the Black Panthers are relevant, currently? That its the police that should be warned about brutalizing people, and in this instance, brutalizing black communities? Do sheer numbers of instances of crime come to that conclusion, that police brutality/terrorizing (modern day) is a real cause of concern?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:33:20 PM
At 2/24/2016 3:10:39 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Typically, when it comes to firearms, you don't "ascertain" if something is real. And typically, involving guns, toys are not, being stupid with them earns you consequences. In this instance, tragic, but wholly avoidable consequences.

...seriously? These are not everyday, regular joes with no firearms training. These are police. Just this week, we've had armed shooters who have literally killed people (thus police knowing that not only the guns are real, but that the shooter will use them with lethal force) taken in alive after standoffs with the police.

If the police in Rice's case were not sure the gun was real or not, I can assure you proper protocol is not to roll up within 10 feet of the armed person and commit a drive by shooting.

Indeed, it was wholly avoidable - if the police had not acted like gangbangers.

So you feel the Black Panthers are relevant, currently?

The black panthers as a group aren't even around anymore. The New BPP =/= the BPP. But certainly their ideas are still relevant.

That its the police that should be warned about brutalizing people, and in this instance, brutalizing black communities? Do sheer numbers of instances of crime come to that conclusion, that police brutality/terrorizing (modern day) is a real cause of concern?

Of course. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this modern day social unrest.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:44:17 PM
At 2/24/2016 3:33:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/24/2016 3:10:39 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Typically, when it comes to firearms, you don't "ascertain" if something is real. And typically, involving guns, toys or not, being stupid with them earns you consequences. In this instance, tragic, but wholly avoidable consequences.

...seriously? These are not everyday, regular joes with no firearms training. These are police. Just this week, we've had armed shooters who have literally killed people (thus police knowing that not only the guns are real, but that the shooter will use them with lethal force) taken in alive after standoffs with the police.

If the police in Rice's case were not sure the gun was real or not, I can assure you proper protocol is not to roll up within 10 feet of the armed person and commit a drive by shooting.

There is no reason to think it was not real. That is the purpose of an imitation fire arm: to look like an actual fire arm.

So the police needed to not act like the person whom they were called on (Doesn't that tell you something? ), and given the video, the police indeed reacted quickly, but I can't say I would be a judicious giver of grace were it my life, either.

The black panthers as a group aren't even around anymore. The New BPP =/= the BPP. But certainly their ideas are still relevant.

That its the police that should be warned about brutalizing people, and in this instance, brutalizing black communities? Do sheer numbers of instances of crime come to that conclusion, that police brutality/terrorizing (modern day) is a real cause of concern?

So, since its black lives matter, and the Black Panthers...

who is the number one killer of other blacks?

Hm. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the focus then should not be "the police"?

The same is also true of whites at least by the odds (that whites murder more whites) BUT...

well, white lives must not matter, or something. Because cops.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 8:07:35 PM
At 2/23/2016 5:05:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:14:54 AM, lamerde wrote:

I scored about 50%.

I missed one comment (only because some of the comments had real historical contexts)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 9:46:20 PM
At 2/24/2016 3:44:17 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

There is no reason to think it was not real. That is the purpose of an imitation fire arm: to look like an actual fire arm.

If they were SURE it was a REAL firearm then, what you DON'T do is pull up within 10 feet of an actively armed suspect suddenly. Like...this is very basic protocol. You understand that it isn't proper police protocol to do this...right?

So the police needed to not act like the person whom they were called on (Doesn't that tell you something? ), and given the video, the police indeed reacted quickly, but I can't say I would be a judicious giver of grace were it my life, either.

"Reacted quickly"? They lied and said they told him to drop the weapon, even though, even if he heard them (which they'd have to be screaming out the window for him to hear them because they were speeding up on him), he'd have no time to react to their commands. He was shot within 2 seconds. 2. Seconds.

It's a good thing you're not a police officer thinking like that. Funny how you can find it in yourself to empathize with the killer cop, but not the murdered boy.

Since most Americans are killed by Americans that means that we can't focus on terrorism?

There is a fundamental difference between state sanctioned violence and non-state sanctioned violence. If random black guy A kills random black guy B, A goes to prison. If officer C does so, he goes on paid vacation.

The same is also true of whites at least by the odds (that whites murder more whites) BUT...

This doesn't even make sense.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 10:01:14 PM
At 2/24/2016 9:46:20 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

If they were SURE it was a REAL firearm then, what you DON'T do is pull up within 10 feet of an actively armed suspect suddenly. Like...this is very basic protocol. You understand that it isn't proper police protocol to do this...right?

"Reacted quickly"? They lied and said they told him to drop the weapon, even though, even if he heard them (which they'd have to be screaming out the window for him to hear them because they were speeding up on him), he'd have no time to react to their commands. He was shot within 2 seconds. 2. Seconds.

It's a good thing you're not a police officer thinking like that. Funny how you can find it in yourself to empathize with the killer cop, but not the murdered boy.

I know! Its almost like I was taught from an early age that guns should be respected or something, and not thought of as toys.

Since most Americans are killed by Americans that means that we can't focus on terrorism?

And -as Americans- we do. However that isn't where Black Lives Matter wants to take things. According to them, we should look at race. Same with the Panthers. Percentage wise/per capita in the US, though, that is the source.

There is a fundamental difference between state sanctioned violence and non-state sanctioned violence. If random black guy A kills random black guy B, A goes to prison. If officer C does so, he goes on paid vacation.

Not always, there is still accountability, and typically, Officer C is in the area because black guy A killed random guy B in the first place.

Thats the point. Do you see a "White Lives Matter" movement starting?

http://www.washingtontimes.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:40:54 AM

I thought Beyonce was speaking out against police brutality, rather than the police in general?
- lamerde

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:27:06 AM
At 2/25/2016 12:40:54 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I thought Beyonce was speaking out against police brutality, rather than the police in general?

I don't get that impression with "The Black Prancers".
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:03:03 AM
At 2/24/2016 10:01:14 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I know! Its almost like I was taught from an early age that guns should be respected or something, and not thought of as toys.

And lot's of children aren't. Lot's of children are and still play with toy guns. Lot's of parents teach their children how to use guns. Irregardless of what Rice was taught, he should not have been murdered for it It's almost like you aren't even arguing a point anymore.

And -as Americans- we do. However that isn't where Black Lives Matter wants to take things. According to them, we should look at race. Same with the Panthers. Percentage wise/per capita in the US, though, that is the source.

Did you seriously think race wasn't an issue before the Panthers or BLM? Even though we've been talking about racist policing for decades?

Not always, there is still accountability, and typically, Officer C is in the area because black guy A killed random guy B in the first place.

Cops are very, very rarely held accountable in police brutality cases.

Because we already know white lives matter. White lives in general are not devalued by virtue of their whiteness in this country. Black lives are.

And you know the claim was never that more blacks than whites killed by police in toto right? It's about the rates.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:44:09 AM
At 2/25/2016 3:03:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

And lot's of children aren't. Lot's of children are and still play with toy guns. Lot's of parents teach their children how to use guns. Irregardless of what Rice was taught, he should not have been murdered for it It's almost like you aren't even arguing a point anymore.

This gave me cancer.

But I agree on the Tamir Rice case; it's painfully clear cut. An officer who was fired from his last department, who shouldn't even have been hired at this one if proper procedure was followed, drives straight at what may be an armed subject, slams on the brakes, bursts out of the car, and shoots the subject in the head in the frame of a few seconds. Personally, I would like to see the officer in question hung in the public square. Police ought to be held to a higher standard, not defended when they make such absurd tactical errors. Talk to anyone with experience with law enforcement about how to approach a potentially armed subject, and the answer is never 'speed up to them in your cruiser.'
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:54:14 AM

Bruh, this is 'Murica. When gov't won't protect you, or does a piss poor job of it, you have the inheremt right to form groups to protect yourself and your rights. For decades and still today gov't law enforcement doesn't do enough to protect citizenry of all varieties. Groups like Black Panther were the response to aggregious amounts of inaction and proactiveness in not protecting.

It's along similar lines as a neighborhood watch, but cause of the horrid sh!t, it ramped up to militancy. Don't blame af-ams, they're just a player, hate the game.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:59:58 AM
So pretty much, don't blame the people(players). Blame the game that has people playing in such a manner. I mean, at this point we're all brought up in said system, very very few people are to blame for the state of affairs. But, like the economy, environment, etc. it doesn't change that it's on us all to fix the game and make it better. Make the rules to where opportunity is equal, which isn't to say the result will be the same for all players. Equal result is unfeasible, equal opportunity feasible.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:19:57 AM
At 2/25/2016 3:44:09 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/25/2016 3:03:03 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

This gave me cancer.

But I agree on the Tamir Rice case; it's painfully clear cut. An officer who was fired from his last department, who shouldn't even have been hired at this one if proper procedure was followed, drives straight at what may be an armed subject, slams on the brakes, bursts out of the car, and shoots the subject in the head in the frame of a few seconds. Personally, I would like to see the officer in question hung in the public square. Police ought to be held to a higher standard, not defended when they make such absurd tactical errors. Talk to anyone with experience with law enforcement about how to approach a potentially armed subject, and the answer is never 'speed up to them in your cruiser.'

I'm not even sure what happened there. My punctuation and grammar (what the random run on sentence?) were horrible there.

*hides face in shame*

That's what I get for typing out a distracted response while studying, I guess. :/
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:23:57 PM
At 2/25/2016 3:59:58 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
So pretty much, don't blame the people(players). Blame the game that has people playing in such a manner. I mean, at this point we're all brought up in said system, very very few people are to blame for the state of affairs. But, like the economy, environment, etc. it doesn't change that it's on us all to fix the game and make it better. Make the rules to where opportunity is equal, which isn't to say the result will be the same for all players. Equal result is unfeasible, equal opportunity feasible.

And that game is over. The rules ARE put in place to allow all that. I will readily admit, the table was rigged, but that is no longer the case. Claiming racism now is the cause of the problem ain't it.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 12:45:32 PM

Because I can't have sympathy for that. Tragic, of course, but there was a case in my state where kid used an replica (airsoft) gun around his school, cops get called, school goes in lockdown, kid flashes weapon at cops, and (much like this) gets shot, too.

I don't see how acting in that manner can end 'well'.

Did you seriously think race wasn't an issue before the Panthers or BLM? Even though we've been talking about racist policing for decades?

Here, now, in 2016, I think its time to start looking a bit more introspectively than pointing to microaggressions and race and the like.

Cops are very, very rarely held accountable in police brutality cases.

Because police brutality is very rare. There is no consequence to claim it. I am genuinely surprised there aren't more cases and investigations, truthfully.

Because we already know white lives matter. White lives in general are not devalued by virtue of their whiteness in this country. Black lives are.

?!?!?!? To who? People get 'devalued' by their life choices, not by the color of their skin! Yeah, you can still find a handful of southern fried red necks, but to claim that society in any significant percentage devalues based on skin color rather than history or representation I think is nothing more than an attempt to escape responsibility of one's actions.

And you know the claim was never that more blacks than whites killed by police in toto right? It's about the rates.

Yes, per capita kinda thing, I dig, which is also who commits more crime in general based on population.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:19:50 PM
At 2/25/2016 12:23:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

And that game is over. The rules ARE put in place to allow all that. I will readily admit, the table was rigged, but that is no longer the case. Claiming racism now is the cause of the problem ain't it.

If you admit the table was rigged then why are you over here twisting in your stomach in knots because Beyonce paid homage to the Black Panthers?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 2:23:36 PM
At 2/25/2016 2:19:50 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/25/2016 12:23:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

If you admit the table was rigged then why are you over here twisting in your stomach in knots because Beyonce paid homage to the Black Panthers?

Because the impression I got from all of whatever that was wasn't homage. It was like the folks whom went to rallies with placards stating "We came unarmed. This time." That might not have been the intent, but its the impression I got.