Jump to topic:

Potential Topics to Write About, Part II

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:50:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
1. Why in the transition from modernism to postmodern, the left went from intellectualism, to pseudointellectualism, and why postmodern liberals and the outrage-culture social justice warriors who blindly follow them are worse than the social norms that liberals fought against in the 1960s and 1970s.

2. How political correctness transitioned from basic decency under modern liberalism, to antirational outrage identity politics under postmodern liberalism.

3. Why graduate students in psychology, philosophy, social sciences and the humanities have been educationally poisoned by the academic toxicity promulgated by the postmodern left.
Tsar of DDO
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:59:18 AM
At 2/23/2016 4:50:05 AM, YYW wrote:
1. Why in the transition from modernism to postmodern, the left went from intellectualism, to pseudointellectualism, and why postmodern liberals and the outrage-culture social justice warriors who blindly follow them are worse than the social norms that liberals fought against in the 1960s and 1970s.

Because ideologies will never be dead for good. If an ideology that advocates change, gets that change, then it no longer stands for anything, and the members just can't accept the idea that they succeeded and it's time to move on in life, so then the new members find a way to stretch the initial goals, founded in logic/evidence or otherwise.

2. How political correctness transitioned from basic decency under modern liberalism, to antirational outrage identity politics under postmodern liberalism.

Because many high school and college students have enough sense to know how to effectively complain, but not enough to realize how stupid their complaints are.

3. Why graduate students in psychology, philosophy, social sciences and the humanities have been educationally poisoned by the academic toxicity promulgated by the postmodern left.

Mind I ask evidence of the first two? I haven't heard of any SJW stuff from psychology and philosophy, unless you are counting feminist theory as philosophy.

Also, on a side note, why do we call it "postmodern"? Doesn't the literal definition of something that is postmodern mean that it is in the future?

On a second side note, I recall once proclaiming that I will never be an activist for gay rights, because even though I agree with it, society naturally "liberalizes" itself, and therefore gay rights are simply a matter of time, and not worth actively fighting for. I never would have guessed how far this "liberalization" would have gone.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:25:24 PM

4. How SJW culture causes mental instability among its members.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:15:12 PM
At 2/23/2016 2:25:24 PM, YYW wrote:

4. How SJW culture causes mental instability among its members.

5. Black SJW racism, bigotry, and homophobia and how it manifests on DDO.
Tsar of DDO
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:16:22 PM

I'm rather interested in this one.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:20:44 PM
At 2/24/2016 5:16:22 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I'm rather interested in this one.

It's a fascinating issue, and one that largely began in the 1990s. As I am able, I will write about these.

Tsar of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:15:05 AM
I wouldn't say it started around the 90s; you can find examples of leftist ideological meddling in academia as far back as Franz Boas. But it was definitely prominent enough to have mainstream influence around the 70s - the time of the sociobiology wars.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 7:16:09 AM
At 2/25/2016 6:15:05 AM, someloser wrote:
I wouldn't say it started around the 90s; you can find examples of leftist ideological meddling in academia as far back as Franz Boas. But it was definitely prominent enough to have mainstream influence around the 70s - the time of the sociobiology wars.

I don't know you, but I know that I like you. You should elaborate more on this. That was an excellent post.
Tsar of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 8:15:28 AM
At 2/25/2016 7:16:09 AM, YYW wrote:
I don't know you, but I know that I like you. You should elaborate more on this. That was an excellent post.

Thank you haha.

Don't think there's much to elaborate on, though. If you're interested in the sociobiology wars, Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate did a good job of documenting most of the central controversies.

As for Boas:

http://www.nytimes.com...
and
http://www.vdare.com...

His massive influence on the academic "antiracist" movement and (and anthropology in general) makes the implications of his works and follies particularly noteworthy.

Anthropology (in particular, cultural) is probably the field where the influence of ideologues is clearest. For an extremely egregious recent example: https://westhunt.wordpress.com...

It's second only to, maybe, social psychology, where an overwhelming majority favor leftist views and are prejudiced against conservatives to varying degrees (http://theweek.com...).

Unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of an explanation regarding the phenomenon. While the Cultural Marxism theory seems to explain most of its facets, I don't know nearly enough about that in particular to defend it.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw