NY Mag: Being a SJW leads to Mental Breakdown

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:11:56 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
http://nymag.com...

NY mag recounts "multiple stories of students so burned out by their social-justice advocacy " advocacy in part spurred by "two racist columns published by The Herald and the alleged assault of a Latinx student from Dartmouth by a Department of Public Safety officer" " that they are falling apart."

Most strikingly, SJW's are mentally breaking down, and having panic attacks to such a degree that they can't even go to class. People's SJW advocacy is eroding their mental health, and cognitive wellbeing. I have many theories on why SJW's are more likely to exhibit signs of mental health decline, but I'll save that for another post.

NY Mag recommends: "If you"re at a point where a heated campus debate over racism is causing you to have panic attacks, you need to take care of yourself and get some help."

The same would apply to DDO.

If you are so burned out from activism that it"s wrecking your mental health, you need to take care of yourself and get some help. Regardless of where these students are getting the message that it"s a desirable outcome for them to work and advocate so hard, they melt into a puddle " and there are likely some brutal social dynamics at play on an Ivy League campus populated by type-A students at a time when the conversation over racial justice feels quite urgent " it"s a really harmful message.

The reality is that the SJW message is not just harmful to society, but to the individuals preaching it.

This is especially necessary because "when you"re a student, it really does feel like fighting against [perceived] racist columns in your student newspaper is the most important thing in the world, that it might be more important than your own health."

But the SJW culture is unlikely to be receptive to this message of common sense because: "it"s hard to suggest to students they take care of their mental health at the expense of their activism without the suggestion coming across as "victim-blaming," like they brought their psychological woes on themselves." Especially, and ironically, when SJW's are literally causing their own mental problems, this risk runs supremely high.

It's dangerous, and it's toxic.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:21:04 PM
The reality is that we've all seen this; anyone who has even walked on a college campus and seen groups of ostensibly liberally inclined students protesting their latest instance of contrived injustice can just look at the group and realize that things are not going well for them.

When you teach people that other people, as Sartre did, do "violence" against minorities by simply being in the world, as the SJW types who preach the rhetoric of microaggression, microinvalidation, and microassault do... you are creating the kinds of conditions where college students and graduate student who have no real experience in the world, who have way too much time on their hands, and who lack the personal maturity to understand how their emotions are not a sufficient predicate to the kind of actions they are undertaking, are going to encounter numerous problems that are entirely predictable.

We've all seen the mental breakdowns of SJW's on DDO. The reality is that it's even worse IRL. This is one of the reasons why the SJW narrative is so pervasive; it reinforces itself constantly, by reinforcing fantasy-perceptions of racial injustice as a result of isolated group's feigned victimhood. It is a victimhood culture that teaches members to believe that they are always already under attack, by all others in the world. This engenders a "siege mentality" narrative, where everything is a fight, nothing is not a fight, and all the world is collectively engaged in a racist conspiracy against minority students.

SJW advocacy is ideological schizophrenia.
Tsar of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:53:35 AM
I think it's far more likely that "SJWs" have a history of mental illness prior to becoming involved with far-left politics - that, subsequently, worsens/feeds onto it.

*'SJWs' in quotes since I'm not a big fan of buzzwords (since that one's getting overused lately), but I recognize the groups people refer to by them.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 2:50:13 PM
At 2/24/2016 2:53:35 AM, someloser wrote:
I think it's far more likely that "SJWs" have a history of mental illness prior to becoming involved with far-left politics - that, subsequently, worsens/feeds onto it.

*'SJWs' in quotes since I'm not a big fan of buzzwords (since that one's getting overused lately), but I recognize the groups people refer to by them.

This is possible.
Tsar of DDO
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 8:24:26 PM
At 2/23/2016 2:11:56 PM, YYW wrote:

*triggers

balbalbaliablablislba
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote: