Jump to topic:

Children In Restaurants

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:02:38 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
My heart always sinks a little when I go out to a restaurant and am seated next to a table with children.

Part of it is that kids are often out of control- and I don't mean that as an indictment of modern parenting. Kids have a lot of energy and restaurants can be a challenge.

Part of it is also that I want to drink beer and talk like a sailor a lot of times, and I feel guilty when I'm three feet away from a five year old gnawing on some cheap chicken.

On the other hand, parents should have lives and try to expose their kids to the world. Everyone is entitled to public lives and its just a brute fact that children exist.

Post inspired in part by this podcast, which takes the position that society should be more accepting of the presence of kids and that kids should be more rigorous in teaching manners:

http://www.maximumfun.org...

Am I a self absorbed yuppie or do kids suck?
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:06:03 AM
At 2/24/2016 3:02:38 AM, Raisor wrote:
My heart always sinks a little when I go out to a restaurant and am seated next to a table with children.

Part of it is that kids are often out of control- and I don't mean that as an indictment of modern parenting. Kids have a lot of energy and restaurants can be a challenge.

Part of it is also that I want to drink beer and talk like a sailor a lot of times, and I feel guilty when I'm three feet away from a five year old gnawing on some cheap chicken.

On the other hand, parents should have lives and try to expose their kids to the world. Everyone is entitled to public lives and its just a brute fact that children exist.

Post inspired in part by this podcast, which takes the position that society should be more accepting of the presence of kids and that kids should be more rigorous in teaching manners:

kids suck
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:21:32 AM

Kids suck. They shouldn't be in a restaurant unless they've rented out a whole wing. Family restaurants exist for a reasons, bring them there. Well-mannered children can attend fancy restaurants where decorum is expected. But for everything in between, where adults go to socialize and relax, they can stay out. If someone's kid starts screaming and running around, they should be thrown out. Take the brats to Applebee's.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:28:53 AM
At 2/24/2016 3:21:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Kids suck. They shouldn't be in a restaurant unless they've rented out a whole wing. Family restaurants exist for a reasons, bring them there. Well-mannered children can attend fancy restaurants where decorum is expected. But for everything in between, where adults go to socialize and relax, they can stay out. If someone's kid starts screaming and running around, they should be thrown out. Take the brats to Applebee's.

I kind of agree with the idea that some restaurants are kid friendly and others aren't. But there are a lot of restaurants that fall in between, they aren't fancy but they definitely aren't Applebee's.

In particular there's a restaurant in my old neighborhood that is really good, usually packed any night of the week, usually the bar is lined with people waiting for tables, has great cocktails...but is also usually about 30% tables with kids.

My issue is more with mid-range restaurants, neighborhood sushi places, etc. There are restaurants I know will be crawling with kids based on the location etc., I'm usually not too put-off when I know what I'm getting into.

But still....should parents really not go out to nicer restaurants just cause they have kids?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:30:30 AM

I love that you describe the existence of kids as a brute fact lol

Yeah, kids suck, but this is coming from a guy without kids so take that for what it is. Tulle and I went to a restaurant the day before Valentine's day and were sat next to a table with - I swear to God - 13 kids. We were both like helllll nah. I'm pretty anti-kid for most social events, including weddings, though I'm sure I'll change my tune once I have some of my own.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:35:10 AM
At 2/24/2016 3:30:30 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I love that you describe the existence of kids as a brute fact lol

Yeah, kids suck, but this is coming from a guy without kids so take that for what it is. Tulle and I went to a restaurant the day before Valentine's day and were sat next to a table with - I swear to God - 13 kids. We were both like helllll nah. I'm pretty anti-kid for most social events, including weddings, though I'm sure I'll change my tune once I have some of my own.

Idk kids can be fun at weddings. They dance and do stupid stuff that's cute and entertaining. I actually really like kids, they're a lot of fun. I just don't want them cramping my style when I'm trying to b*tch about my week.

But yeah maybe two weeks ago I was next to a table doing a post-daddy daughter dance dinner at a frickin brewery. So there were a bunch of girls in dresses climbing under the table and acting a mess the whole time. The parents apologized after so I guess its all good?

I'm also taking the perspective of "how will I change my tune in ten years when I want to go somewhere but would have to drag along a five year old?"
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:47:29 AM
At 2/24/2016 3:28:53 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/24/2016 3:21:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I kind of agree with the idea that some restaurants are kid friendly and others aren't. But there are a lot of restaurants that fall in between, they aren't fancy but they definitely aren't Applebee's.

In particular there's a restaurant in my old neighborhood that is really good, usually packed any night of the week, usually the bar is lined with people waiting for tables, has great cocktails...but is also usually about 30% tables with kids.

My issue is more with mid-range restaurants, neighborhood sushi places, etc. There are restaurants I know will be crawling with kids based on the location etc., I'm usually not too put-off when I know what I'm getting into.

Yeah, those are the ones which shouldn't have kids. The absurd, bloviating outrage that you get by parents when you say this is just pathetic and embarrassing: take your kids to a kid restaurant, not a social one clearly marketed towards young adults.

But still....should parents really not go out to nicer restaurants just cause they have kids?

My parents took us to two sorts of restaurants: family-style restaurants which are structured to accommodate children, or higher-end restaurants where you sat quietly and ate with good table manners. If parents want to go to the latter, they should actually parent their children. If they can't do that, keep the kids home. And these people shouldn't crash the sorts of restaurants that younger people frequent to relax and hang out because they couldn't discipline their children sufficiently.

I have to say, I experience a visceral sort of pleasure when I see unruly children being kicked out of a nice restaurant. It's even better when the parent is an argumentative dumbfvck and starts to draw venomous glares from everyone else eating. That really makes my evening.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:52:49 AM

You're a self-absorbed yuppie, but kids often do suck.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:56:16 AM
At 2/24/2016 3:52:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:

You're a self-absorbed yuppie, but kids often do suck.

LMAO this is probably the most true.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 8:57:53 AM

Kids are human. Humans suck. That's the horror of public spaces. Hating on kids is no different from hating on any other demographic.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 9:59:23 AM
I'm pretty anti-kid for most social events, including weddings, though I'm sure I'll change my tune once I have some of my own.

Nope, You'll like your kids, but probably still think the rest of them are horrible monsters.
You'll be able to sympathise with other parents though; you'll be in our special club for stupid people.

I can't remember how to embed videos...
Loius CK on parenting: https://www.youtube.com...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:40:53 PM
At 2/24/2016 9:11:16 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
You should check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com...

Lol

But that restaurant is suuuuper nice, it has either 2 or 3 Michelin stars I think. I've looked into going there but i don't think I'd get much out of it as a vegetarian.

Yeah it is disrespectful to bring kids to a restaurant where people are paying hundreds of dollars for a meal. I don't even see the argument against that, unless your kids have impeccable manners.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 1:41:51 PM
At 2/24/2016 9:59:23 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I'm pretty anti-kid for most social events, including weddings, though I'm sure I'll change my tune once I have some of my own.

Nope, You'll like your kids, but probably still think the rest of them are horrible monsters.
You'll be able to sympathise with other parents though; you'll be in our special club for stupid people.

I can't remember how to embed videos...
Loius CK on parenting: https://www.youtube.com...

Haha I knew it was just a matter of time before LCK came up