Jump to topic:

Allow the obese to adopt?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 5:47:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Having obese parents is the factor that most increases the likelihood of childhood obesity, according to Stanford University School of Medicine researchers.

They…found that 64 percent of children with overweight parents became overweight, compared with 16 percent of those with normal-weight parents."

http://www.news-medical.net...

These figures should come as no surprise. If obese parents habitually shovel mountains of junk food down their blubbery necks and they provide the same unhealthy diet for their children, of course their kids are going grow up to be overweight.

Obesity causes serious health problems and can lead to an early death so is it morally defensible to place orphaned children in the homes of people who are likely to be wilfully neglectful of their wellbeing?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:02:44 PM
At 11/9/2010 5:47:52 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Having obese parents is the factor that most increases the likelihood of childhood obesity, according to Stanford University School of Medicine researchers.

They…found that 64 percent of children with overweight parents became overweight, compared with 16 percent of those with normal-weight parents."

These figures should come as no surprise. If obese parents habitually shovel mountains of junk food down their blubbery necks and they provide the same unhealthy diet for their children, of course their kids are going grow up to be overweight.

Obesity causes serious health problems and can lead to an early death so is it morally defensible to place orphaned children in the homes of people who are likely to be wilfully neglectful of their well being?

It is what it is................. You take a couple who are gluttons and inactive in their lifestyle, they do not and can not play with the child. Thus sparking lack of interest in socializing/playing with peers.Mimicing of parents lifestyle = Recipe for disaster. Another obese child/adult to continue the circle that is obesity, with a side of heart failure, diabetes, among other complications.

I like the read, but I hate stats they are deceiving at times.
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:12:13 PM
At 11/9/2010 12:07:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I think it should ultimately be up to the child who adopts them.

So, whould the child be in charge of some sort of personality test along with a physical?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:15:32 PM
At 11/9/2010 12:12:13 PM, GrabYoSocks wrote:

So, whould the child be in charge of some sort of personality test along with a physical?

I'm not sure how it would work, but the child should have last say since this is their new family they're going to be with. Like it would be unfair to put a child with somebody they hate or are incompatible with.
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:18:35 PM
At 11/9/2010 12:15:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I'm not sure how it would work, but the child should have last say since this is their new family they're going to be with. Like it would be unfair to put a child with somebody they hate or are incompatible with.

I believe with the amount of children out there without a home, or family that most children are lucky to even be adopted. It is sad yes.
Now what if the child chose the manson family over the clearly better canidates?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:20:03 PM
At 11/9/2010 12:18:35 PM, GrabYoSocks wrote:
At 11/9/2010 12:15:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I believe with the amount of children out there without a home, or family that most children are lucky to even be adopted. It is sad yes.
Now what if the child chose the manson family over the clearly better canidates?

Each family would have their background investigated before even attempting to adopt.
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 12:24:00 PM
Each family would have their background investigated before even attempting to adopt.

I know, and that is done anyways. I was making light of your adoption process.
Back to the real issue at hand........

of how many of those families in the study, were caring loving people? And how many were just collecting a huge paycheck from the government?
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 1:44:49 PM

Obesity causes serious health problems and can lead to an early death so is it morally defensible to place orphaned children in the homes of people who are likely to be wilfully neglectful of their wellbeing?

Judging and discriminating against overweight foster parents in this regard is really just a matter of providing ourselves with yet another group of supposedly morally inferior people (those who lack the discipline to stay trim) whose gluttony and lack of self-control allow us to feel morally superior in comparison. It's the gluttony of our own egos for anything that will give them a boost at someone else's expense that we should be introspectively looking at.

Some of your language, for example "shovel mountains of junk food down their blubbery necks", your use of the judgmental term "neglectful" to describe an obese parent who overfeeds his/her child, your moralistic characterization of this as a "willful" choice, and your making it all a moral issue with your question "is it morally defensible to place orphaned children" in the homes of the overweight, all of this suggests to me that you're framing the issue so as to derive a moralistic ego boost from it. If your position against putting children in homes where they might have an unhealthy diet was really coming from a caring place I don't think you'd use so much judgy and unkind language. I think that your word choices tip us off that something else is motivating your stance, the psychological payoff it gives you, the nice little feeling of superiority you perhaps enjoy when espousing such thoughts. I suggest that you honestly reflect, in the privacy of your own mind, on where your views are really coming from. (And no, I'm not a portly person being defensive, I've never been obese so don't try to facilely dismiss my thoughts with speculation that I'm biased by my own weight.)
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 6:55:14 PM

agreed

@charleslb
You do know Brian says this all the time (this kind of thing) its his way of joking (not sure if you know or not, since your kinda new. I used to think he was serious a LONG time ago)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
JimProfit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 7:45:44 PM
It's a slippery slope. Some people are just fat. They work hard, they eat right, genetics just wasn't on their side.

I never see fat people "gorge" food. I see fat people who eat the wrong things and live sedentary lifestyles. But who doesn't? That's not being fat, that's being American. If anyone is a bottomless pit, it's those skinny people who's always entering eating contests and they're ussually very tall and very asian.

I don't judge people based on what they take, but rather what they give. I'd let a crackhead adopt a kid as long as they treated the kid with love and concern. I'd trust a crackhead over a homo. Because a crackhead is just making bad choices over their health, a homo is making bad choices over everybody.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 7:52:15 PM
At 11/9/2010 7:45:44 PM, JimProfit wrote:
It's a slippery slope. Some people are just fat. They work hard, they eat right, genetics just wasn't on their side.

I never see fat people "gorge" food. I see fat people who eat the wrong things and live sedentary lifestyles. But who doesn't? That's not being fat, that's being American. If anyone is a bottomless pit, it's those skinny people who's always entering eating contests and they're ussually very tall and very asian.

I don't judge people based on what they take, but rather what they give. I'd let a crackhead adopt a kid as long as they treated the kid with love and concern. I'd trust a crackhead over a homo. Because a crackhead is just making bad choices over their health, a homo is making bad choices over everybody.

Look, if you make another assertion like that about homosexuality or homosexuals... you have to fvcking prove it. And I'd be willing to bet that it's not only unfounded, but just your fear talking. We get it, you're homophobic. Do you want to debate something about homosexuality? Would that shut you up? Because this is annoying to read in general, but in more than one thread? Come on...
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 7:56:17 PM
At 11/9/2010 12:14:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Doesn't this more likely show how obesity is hereditary?

Why are people ignoring this man, who has just won the thread?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 7:57:06 PM

or it could be due to a genetic predisposition to obesity... which adoptive parents could not pass on to their kids. i don't think the issue is as socially mediated as you think.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 7:58:20 PM
At 11/9/2010 7:52:15 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/9/2010 7:45:44 PM, JimProfit wrote:

Look, if you make another assertion like that about homosexuality or homosexuals... you have to fvcking prove it. And I'd be willing to bet that it's not only unfounded, but just your fear talking. We get it, you're homophobic. Do you want to debate something about homosexuality? Would that shut you up? Because this is annoying to read in general, but in more than one thread? Come on...

I second this.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 8:40:26 PM
At 11/9/2010 6:55:14 PM, lovelife wrote:

agreed

@charleslb
You do know Brian says this all the time (this kind of thing) its his way of joking (not sure if you know or not, since your kinda new. I used to think he was serious a LONG time ago)

Thanks for the heads-up.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:23:02 AM
At 11/9/2010 6:55:14 PM, lovelife wrote:

agreed

@charleslb

Thanks lovelife.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 3:33:50 AM
Being raised in an obese household will generally be better than being raised by the state.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GrabYoSocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 7:49:23 AM
At 11/10/2010 3:33:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Being raised in an obese household will generally be better than being raised by the state.

This is true.

I have found that There are some people that just cant lose wieght despite dieting and exercising. These people are just geneticaly f-ed so to speak. How ever that is a minority of people. The majority are fully capable of working the weight off through a continuous regiment of dieting and exercise. Then there are other people that chose to be obese.
If Obese people want to adopt, they are more than welcolme to.
JimProfit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:40:26 AM
I don't know the word to describe my feeling asshassle, as I'm not "sorry", nor do I pity you, what I will say is unlike you, I've actually worked inside the homosexual leagues and seen how they treat others, eachother, children, etc. It's a scam. It's a scam on the same level as suggesting the mafia is good, or the crips and bloods are good, occassionally you might find just a stupid kid who stumbled into the wrong crowd because he actually believes that crap. But they'll either grow out of it, or the organization will change them.

As much as YOU might think it has nothing to do with the discussion, I believe it was an appropiate blend of seperating what IS an acceptable target to prevent certain people from adoption as to what IS NOT an acceptable target. Thus, you can't hide behind your armchair liberal moral relativism.